It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2014

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Welcome to Quake Watch 2014

For those who are new to ATS and to the quake watch threads here we discuss and post information about earthquakes around the world.

Whilst generally the thread is interested in quakes of Magnitudes 6 and above all earthquakes that are of interest and/or concern can be discussed including swarms related to volcanism and hydraulic fracturing. Despite the small natrue of fracking or fraccing quakes for the most part they are of interest to people affected by them and the correct place for their discussion is on this thread and not on another purely fracking related thread as has been suggested. This is because if for no other reason fracking related events may give rise to bigger earthquake events.

From time to time on ATS strong earthquakes (M6-6.9), major earthquakes (M7-7.9) and greats earthquakes (M8+) may get their own thread for individual events but will still be reported on this thread as well.

I shall list some sites of interest to earthquake watchers, but all you ever need in links to Earthquake sites should be found in the link in my signature to my Wordpress Links Site

Basic essentials are:

European-Mediterranean Seismological Centre
Listing for world wide events of approx mag 4+ and for local European events down to mag 2.0

US Geological Survey Interactive Web
    Interactive Map and List with selectable options
  • 1 Day, Magnitude 2.5+ Worldwide
  • 1 Day, All Magnitudes Worldwide
  • 7 Days, Magnitude 4.5+ Worldwide
  • 7 Days, Magnitude 2.5+ Worldwide
  • 7 Days, All Magnitudes Worldwide
  • 30 Days, Magnitude 4.5+ Worldwide
  • 30 Days, Magnitude 2.5+ Worldwide

IRIS Seismic Monitor
The above also links to the new interactive map, that not only shows recent seismicity but allows you to display up to 5000 quakes from an archive of 3.3 million spanning from 1970 to minutes ago. It's the IRIS Earthquake Browser, or just IEB, and one of many features is that you can rotate quakes in 3D!

Volcano web cams: Either qvsdata or Wired by Erik Klemetti, assistant professor of Geosciences at Denison University.

Helicorders and seismograms

Of particular interest for the Global overview of what is going on inthe world you can visit Global Seismic Archives hosted by Muzzy of ATS and a prolific contributor to quake watch threads and assisted by myself.

From Global Seismic Archives About page

The contributing networks as marked on the map’s pop up tags are;
usgs – the United States Geological Survey – which provides information that is updated every 5 minutes on magnitude 4.5 earthquakes and upwards worldwide and magnitude 1.0 and upwards for the United States.
emsc – The European Mediterranean Seismological Centre – which provides information of Magnitude 2.0 upwards in Europe and many other areas including most world Magnitude 4 and upwards events.
geonet – New Zealand
jma – the Japan Meteorological Agency
can – Canada – data from Natural Resources Canada, generally restricted to the region of Canada.
bbnet – Institute of Geodynamics – National Observatory of Athens
gfzp – GeoForschungsZentrum (GFZ) Potsdam, Germany
bgs – British Geological Survey
au – GeoScience Australia

and on review;
nied – National research Institute for Earth science and Disaster prevention (NIED), Japan, preliminary results from the Catalog by the Hi-net Automatic System
imo- The Icelandic Meteorological Office
ign- data sourced from the National Geographic Institute (IGN)of Spain, covering the Iberian Peninsula, the Canary Islands, Morocco and Algeria
rsnc- La Red Sismológica Nacional de Colombia (RSNC) of Servicio Geológico Colombiano
cenc – China Earthquake Networks Center

These and hundreds more from the links on my site.

Don't forget there is a dedicated Volcano Watch 2014 and of course the Yellowstone thread just keeps on a growin'

There was a Solar Activity Watch 2013 thread, maybe there will be a 2014 one?

To all contributors - keep up the good work. To all lurkers - we know you are there and hope you benefit from our efforts. Please feel free to participate as well.

Links back to previous Quake Watch threads

Quake Watch 2013 First page and Last page
Quake Watch 2012 First page and Last page
Quake Watch 2011 First page and Last page

Older threads

Quake Watch 2010, Quake Watch 2009, Quake Watch 2008, Quake Watch 2007, Quake Watch 2006, Quake Watch 2004

edit on 30/12/2013 by PuterMan because: to fix a tag

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Awesome! Happy New year to all and to all a healthy and prosperous year!

Thank you so much PM for all you do here on ATS. We appreciate your ongoing efforts, knowledge and insight whereas some of us have an inkling of the above compared to yours.

Because there is so much more to learn in regards to fracking and they indeed put forth shakings of their own I am so glad we are able to discuss those matters here.. because... they matter.

I was surprised to see Oklahoma have a 4.1 the other day as I believe they are fracking related. It makes me and I am sure others wonder, just how big can a fracking quake thrust? Time will tell us, we can be assured of that.

M 4.1 - 7km SW of Langston, Oklahoma

PAGER - GREENShakeMap - VDYFI? - IV
Time
2013-12-29 02:14:36 UTC-06:00
Depth
5.0km
earthquake.usgs.gov...

Why does it seem like they come in at a depth of 5.0km??

Again, thank you for all you do!!

MamaJ
edit on 30-12-2013 by MamaJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

HIP HIP HOOOOOORAY FOR PUTERMAN AND MUZZY AND THE NEW QUAKE THREAD!

Have you noted any interesting unusual trends the last 30-60 days?

Do YOU think the fracking will result in bigger quakes at some point?

If you HAD to guess where the next shockingly huge quake will occur, where would you guess?

THX THX for all y'all do.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Thank you for all the effort and research you put into this thread!
Have you noticed any 'patterns' occurring, such as quakes on one side of the globe triggering quakes directly opposite?
Will be checking in daily!
S&F
Miss Nugget

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
5.2 earthquake in Italy:

Event Time

2013-12-29 17:08:44 UTC
2013-12-29 18:08:44 UTC+01:00 at epicenter
2013-12-29 12:08:44 UTC-05:00 system time
41.425°N 14.399°E depth=10.0km (6.2mi)

Nearby Cities

5km (3mi) NNE of San Gregorio, Italy
8km (5mi) NNE of Piedimonte Matese, Italy
23km (14mi) SE of Isernia, Italy
26km (16mi) WSW of Campobasso, Italy
167km (104mi) ESE of Roma, Italy

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by nugget1

Funny you should ask. We used to have alot of earthquakes in Quebec, and some days later there would be earthquakes in the area of Peru.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

It makes me and I am sure others wonder, just how big can a fracking quake thrust?

I believe it has been suggested by scientists that quakes of Magnitude 5.0 have been cause by fracking related activities. Not quite sure where I heard that, but it would surprise me in the least.

Depths?

Prov,Date/Time UTC,Latitude,Longitude,Magnitude,Depth(Km),Location
usgs,2013-12-29 08:14:36, 35.895, -97.306, 4.1, 5.0, Oklahoma (499) [F]
emsc,2013-12-29 08:14:36, 35.907, -97.308, 4.1, 5.0, Oklahoma
gfzp,2013-12-29 08:14:36, 35.990, -97.230, 4.3, 10.0, Oklahoma
gfzp,2013-12-07 18:10:25, 35.750, -97.310, 4.6, 10.0, Oklahoma
usgs,2013-12-07 18:10:23, 35.662, -97.326, 4.5, 5.0, Oklahoma (499) [F]
emsc,2013-12-07 18:10:23, 35.707, -97.352, 4.5, 2.0, Oklahoma

Two quakes there from 3 different providers. All of those look to me like default values so I am guessing a not well constrained depth in each case. Or maybe they don't want to tell?

edit on 30/12/2013 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

Have you noted any interesting unusual trends the last 30-60 days?

Yes indeed, but I have not finished investigating yet. It appears that it may be related to solar output and is affecting earthquakes, volcanoes and category force storms (the trend is down by the way before anyone gets worried)

Do YOU think the fracking will result in bigger quakes at some point?

Yes, see my reply to MamaJ

If you HAD to guess where the next shockingly huge quake will occur, where would you guess?

I still believe we are looking at Vanuatu/Santa Cruz Islands area in the more immediate future, but remember also that IEVPC have predicted a Mag 8+ for the Philippines before the end of 2014.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Yay! Thank you so much for tackling a new year PM! Love to lurk here in the Quake corner. Happy New Years!

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Keeping an eye on this thread. We are due for a monster soon.
edit on 30-12-2013 by Jefferton because: spelling

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Blwyddyn newydd da Puters and muzzy!
Thank you for expanding my understanding of EQ's and I look forward to keeping up in 2014, and Eric's in put on frakking too.

Nice new shinny rainbow to see the new thread and new year in!
Lang may yer lum reek!

Jane

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Let us hope that 2014 is a good year for earthquakes and not too many people lose their lives. Unfortunately some will as out planet experiences constant changes to her surface and weather.

Thanks to Puterman, Muzzy and all the other contributors who keep these threads up to date and interesting.

P

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   

All the continents on the earth are on the move now, toward forming one massive continent. This is the reason why the Polar Shift, the weird trumpeting sounds in the air ,and weird creatures of the deep abyss of the oceans beaching themselves worldwide,among other things, too-like melting of the ice caps from beneath.This is all predicted by Bible Prophecy.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Hooray to a new year of quake watching! I'd say let's hope 2014's a gentle year, but we all know somewhere on this rock is going to get the short end of the stick, biggies are inevitable. So I'll just hope it's a big one in an uninhabited place instead

siluriancryptic

All the continents on the earth are on the move now, toward forming one massive continent. This is the reason why the Polar Shift, the weird trumpeting sounds in the air ,and weird creatures of the deep abyss of the oceans beaching themselves worldwide,among other things, too-like melting of the ice caps from beneath.This is all predicted by Bible Prophecy.

I think you missed the memo that says the plates are always on the move. I'll be worried if they come to a grinding halt.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Fairly close to Fuku...

M5.1 - 13km NW of Takahagi, Japan 2013-12-31 01:03:00 UTC

Event Time
2013-12-31 01:03:00 UTC
2013-12-31 10:03:00 UTC+09:00 at epicenter
2013-12-30 18:03:00 UTC-07:00 system time

Location 36.789°N 140.591°E depth=9.9km (6.2mi)

Nearby Cities
13km (8mi) NW of Takahagi, Japan
14km (9mi) W of Kitaibaraki, Japan 21km (13mi) NNW of Hitachi, Japan
21km (13mi) E of Daigo, Japan
146km (91mi) NNE of Tokyo, Japan

Epicenter looks to be about 43 miles from the plant as the Google Earth Crow flies...

USGS Link
edit on 30-12-2013 by sageturkey because: Quotes

edit on 30-12-2013 by sageturkey because: Distance Estimate

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Thanks Puterman!

You know I'll be here and watching the charts as well.

Peace

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   

"Happy New Year plus", Please keep up the good work, nice to read and fully - well partially - understand.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

I would be interested in knowing what they are pumping into these wells. A few years ago a young man did two documentaries on the natural gas, oil and shale industry. In my younger days i had worked in the oil and gas industry and I found his documentaries amazing.

Mainly because this gutsy young man was stepping up and telling some nasty truths about the industry. Some of which got some people hurt. It was one of the reasons I left the industry. The nasty little, actually big secret of oil and gas companies. Chemicals....

For years no one knew all the nasty stuff they were pumping into wells all over this country. And still today this continues to happen everywhere. Companies putting all kinds of stuff in the drilling mud or the sludge we often called it. Many work over or old kill wells, wells no longer producing, we're filled with this stuff. We were often exposed to all kinds of stuff and they never told any of us. A tool pusher would get wind of it and complain and you might never hear from him again.

Quite often this material would be transported to us from a company our last republican vice president had hooks all up in. All the last republicans benefitted from this industry greatly. They all knew the nasty secret.
It was legalized chemical disposal that no one knew about. For years they just flat refused to tell anyone the nasty list of chemicals used in these wells and drilling process.

Often an unscheduled truck would show up and inject a truck load into the mix. Thanks to a caring old tool pusher who was leaving and gave me the information I already suspected i left. Years later, I happened to watch these documentaries and it brought things back up in my memory and I think help explain some of the health issues over the years.

Think about this folks, they take the oil and gas out, they fill that space. It changes allot of things, people turn on their faucets and their water burns. They lose their hair, get cancer, die. It is happening in neighborhoods and land all over this country. I live out in country on a few acres, but the neighbors might have sold their mineral rights and I could do nothing to stop it or stop what they put into the ground.

I hope someone can help me remember the name of documentaries about the industry. It happens everywhere but it highlights up through northeast and Texas and colorado. Everyone should watch. I was witness to this. They made billions and still are. Wait till they bring an earthquake or burning water to your neighborhood, then you will say it is not worth it but it is too late, the damage is done.

This is a subject everyone should take a stand on, we only have one earth and so much fresh water. Once they put this stuff in the ground it can't be undone. Guess how many carcinogens they use, allot, no one really knows for sure. They change the process and for more years than I can Remember they refused to tell anybody lol.

The documentaries were also rerun on hbo if I remember. Sorry bout my memory.

Like to hear the OP add this to this thread. Do you know what gets pumped into the wells or is used in the drilling mud in your area. Frak quakes are just one of the issues.

The Bot

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Yeah, it must be a default. They always seem to come in on USGS as a 5.0 Depth.. this one just now below..

M 2.9 - 19km SSE of Alva, Oklahoma

DYFI? - II
Time
2013-12-30 19:36:23 UTC-06:00
Depth
5.0km

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Posting to keep watch.

S&F

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>