It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2014

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Happy New Year Puterman and Muzzy ... I love the quake thread(s) and always sit quietly at the back of the class paying attention but only very rarely contributing ... I just want to say thanks to you for educating me ... long may it continue.

Woody )O(

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I had mentioned a concern about all the 5 mag quakes happening On the Manila trench west of the main island.

www.thebulletintoday.com...

They have continued since my last post on 2013.

This fault line is capable of producing in excess of an 8 mag

The people in that area that frequent this site should be prepared for a potential biggie,and have some supplies in case this becomes a reality!

Will be a happy camper if I am wrong!!!

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Hi

Long time lurker on the quake threads, thanks for all the great info!

It seems that an ATS member in Copperas Cove, Texas close to Fort Hood and the Balcones Fault Zone is noticing strange behavior in her dog. He is going outside and barking at the sky and going a bit nuts. Also her tap water is coming out milky as if its filled with air. Both happening at the same time is concerning to her and I offered to bring this info to the experts on the Quake thread. In your opinion, is Copperas Cove, Texas close enough to the Balcones or some other fault to be a problem, and if so is it reawakening?

Thanks so much,

STM

edit on 1/2/2014 by seentoomuch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   
www.emsc-csem.org... could be something brewing ?

These two below had me more concerned - the double tap and quite near Tokyo albeit a few hours apart....
www.emsc-csem.org...

www.emsc-csem.org...

Happy New Year to one and all who learn and yearn for this thread and its updates and all those doing the real work to make this thread what it is - Thank you .

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Morning fellow quake watchers. I've set out a virtual plate of cheese and fruit for you all, because I'm about to pour the whine.

I don't know about you, but I've been in "hold my breath" mode for a few days now. Between the recent new moon, perigee, and lack of strong earthquakes for weeks, I anticipate something popping soon.
(of course a big quake will come eventually--I don't think the Earth's quake machine is broken
)

Now for the whining. I finish shoveling my driveway, made coffee and am preparing to watch the seismic wiggles for a bit, just to find that GEE is broken! Ugh. Is it down for everyone?
Another page I use, the Earthscope Array Network Facility page won't load either.

[/end pity party]

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   

muzzy
reply to post by wasobservingquietly

Speaking of predictions, 6.454 TTNT energy released on the 28th UTC (for 24 hrs) in New Zealand, that is the lowest this month, can expect a 5+ within the next 3 to 6 days at the outside, 66% chance, based on historical observations.

I missed this one because Geonet had it listed as 4.6ML, so it doesn't qualify for the 3-6 day prediction formula as a result, as the predictions are based on Geonet data only.
but still........... it happened and the energy WAS released
both GFZ and USGS had it at 5.0mb and EMSC at 4.9mb

ID: gfz2014abcm Network: gfzp
Date/Time UTC: 01/01/2014 14:22:58
Latitude, Longitude: -35.4, -178.89
Magnitude: 5.0M
Energy Released (TTNT): 476.8791
Number of reporting stations: 0
Depth: 10km
geofon.gfz-potsdam.de...

edit on 01u2214 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

I haven`t been able to get GEE to load since last night about 7 (CST). So its not just you!

I hate being "blind"... hope its fixed soon, since we`ve already had one quake here in Arkansas today .

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Well did not see this one posted and looks like it was deadly.

M5.5 - 47km S of Lar, Iran
2014-01-02 03:13:56 UTC

Event Time
2014-01-02 03:13:56 UTC
2014-01-02 06:43:56 UTC+03:30 at epicenter
2014-01-01 21:13:56 UTC-06:00 system time

Nearby Cities
47km (29mi) S of Lar, Iran
53km (33mi) SSE of Gerash, Iran
87km (54mi) NNE of Kish, Iran
89km (55mi) NNW of Bandar-e Lengeh, Iran
309km (192mi) N of Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

USGS

Strong dangerous earthquake in Southern Iran – At least 1 killed and 30 injured + a lot of damage

Update 17:53 UTC : The following picture illustrates the power of the earthquake.
The impact of the earthquake in the epicenter area is very hight with about 60% of the houses damaged. 10% is uninhabitable. Tents and other aid are being delivered to this area. Unfortunately a lot of infrastructure (bridges, power lines and administration buildings were also damaged)

Earthquake-Report

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

GEE wasn't working for me last night either. I even kept trying, in vain, into the wee hours of the morning before I gave up. I'll be pretty disappointed if it's still down tonight, capping my night off with some quake voyeurism is my favorite way to wind down these days

And I totally understand the feeling about the quiet spell going on. It's almost like there's something stuck somewhere that you know is going to go in a big way, that kind of feeling. Or, more simply, when's that other shoe going to drop?

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
* cries* GEE is still offline

In the meantime, Chile decided to rumble a bit.

M5.9 - 71km SW of Iquique, Chile 2014-01-04 00:11:48 UTC

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by lurksoften

It's such a shame that what most of us here consider a moderate sized quake (mag 5.5) can cause such extensive damage and more tragically, take lives. In Iran, is the problem that there isn't adequate access to steel and/or rebar for masonry reinforcement, poor concrete chemistry, or just greed/shoddy constuction? I can understand the 100+ year old buildings suffering collapse, but not the newer looking buildings. Those injuries and deaths didn't have to happen--so sad.

My GEE withdrawl is strong.
Thanks for the feedback. It's good to know it wasn't my compy being wonky, but I'm sorry you all are without the goodness that is GEE, too.

It looks like the big earthquakes are still on winter break--let's hope they don't return with a vengence.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I found this on Science Daily today and it talks about earthquake lights. I don't know much about the different forms of quakes that they talk about. Can someone kind of simplify the part about to where they apply.

www.sciencedaily.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

You could blame the USA for that, due to sanctions on Iran.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

simply put, when the ground rips apart there are sometimes lights (static electricity) but when the ground shifts up and down or left and right there are no lights.
Assuming its the same article I read a few days ago in our local paper. Said there were some eq lights when the Christchurch quakes were going on, but didn't hear that then.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

nice find... explains many UFO sightings before an EQ occures.... debunking the timetravellers theory of withniss an old disaster...

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ressiv

That is false logic.

The time travelers could still be there, just not causing the light shows!

Me thinks it would be wiser and easier and very much safer to just build a history viewer (perhaps in 3d or holographics) to view history.

But when that day comes my friend, the concept of privacy is lost for all time, because history is but a microsecond from the present.

Imagine a world where anyone can watch any other at will for every second of every day. Would keep the politicians honest at least.

P

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

I don't think much would keep politicians honest.

Would have to be some immediate and serious consequences tied to misbehavior.

Don't see that coming before literal Armageddon.

Maybe . . . if we knew some serious quakes were coming . . . and transported the lot of them to the epicenter, we could at least get their attention.

Short of that, they enjoy far too much making the rest of us sheeple victims.

Some of them sound like they gleefully anticipate massive deaths on the West coast or at New Madrid to help with population reduction. Genocidal idiots.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   
The Geophysical report for the week ending 03 Jan 2014 is now available. See the link in my signature.

The stats are now showing Mag 7 quakes well into the long in the tooth area at 39 ( now 41 today) days over the average. Whilst this is no comparison to the very long 2012 gap of 123 days, it is into the area where one normally happens. Last 39 days gap was followed by one on 30 August 2013. Prior to that the week commencing the 6th July saw an end to a 43 day run.

Click the image to enlarge

Mag 8 although over the average gap are not necessarily overdue as the average gap changes rapidly at an event because of the long times between. You can see this if you look at the day since last columns on the chart above.

@BO

Maybe . . . if we knew some serious quakes were coming . . . and transported the lot of them to the epicenter, we could at least get their attention.

Maybe . . . if we knew some serious quakes were coming . . . and transported the lot of them to the epicenter hypocenter, we could at least get their attention be rid of them.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 04:20 AM
link   
yellowstone picked up again in 2014...

www.isthisthingon.org...

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Saw this 3.5 and noticed its abit farther from were the rest have been occuring. Makes me wonder if they are spreading out abit more.

M3.5 - 22km W of Vega, Texas
2014-01-06 08:41:21 UTC

Event Time
2014-01-06 08:41:21 UTC
2014-01-06 02:41:21 UTC-06:00 at epicenter
2014-01-06 02:41:21 UTC-06:00 system time

Nearby Cities
22km (14mi) W of Vega, Texas
51km (32mi) NNW of Hereford, Texas
73km (45mi) WNW of Canyon, Texas
76km (47mi) W of Amarillo, Texas
300km (186mi) E of Santa Fe, New Mexico