It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Does Going to Hell Look Like?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   

RevelationGeneration
Well this is the Religion, Faith, And Theology forum after all ...

There is a difference between discussing religious beliefs and telling people that they are going to hell if they don't believe like you do. I"ve seen this coming from fundamentalist protestants and certain self described catholics and certain Muslims.

Roman Catholicism is a false religion.

Not any more false than yours.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

But he still said it. Still referred to a burning hell where there would be weeping and pulling of hair and gnashing teeth.
Feel free to quote any of those.
I can demonstrate how any you could cite is a reference to historical events.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Rainbowresidue
Good evening everyone,

I have been fortunate/unfortunate, depending on the situation to see spirits and talk with them all my life. And I have taken away snippets, and pieces of what I have understood, although these spirits were mostly earth bound, and knew little about heaven. I have also had conversations with my late grandfather in my dreams since he passed away, and he has always answered all my questions about heaven. I somehow never thought to ask him about hell, I'm not too worried about that.

I have questions, and was wondering whether you think this could be possible.

Could it be possible that there is no 'hell' as we see it shown in art, and movies, or described in various books?
Could it be that we humans misunderstood something/ something got lost in translation so to speak?

What if there existed an underworld, for all the angels that have fallen, but us humans had a different path to follow?
What if those people who have sinned, don't go to a hell, but go to a sort of 'rehab' where they learn about what they have done wrong, and have to see all the wrongs they have done, and where their soul gets cleansed and given a lecture, and then sent back to try and make it better next time?

I know this is kind of out there, but I have been thinking about this for a long time, and wondered if others have thought of this too.

I think about it all the time. Since I lived in a haunted house as a young child.
Just trying to get sense and reason and above all understanding.

"What does it all mean?"

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Rainbowresidue

Hello Rainbowresidue please don't take this the wrong way as i'm just trying to warn you. These spirits are demonic fallen angels, you're grandfather cannot contact you, the dead cannot communicate with the living. What you are experiencing are familiar spirits which can be very dangerous as they will try to deceive you.

I will answer your questions.

Could it be possible that there is no 'hell' as we see it shown in art, and movies, or described in various books?

There are only 2 places a person go's when they die, Heaven and Hell. Hell is real place of eternal torment. If you die without being born-again by having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ then you will go to hell.

What if those people who have sinned, don't go to a hell, but go to a sort of 'rehab' where they learn about what they have done wrong, and have to see all the wrongs they have done, and where their soul gets cleansed and given a lecture, and then sent back to try and make it better next time?

There is no such place.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by RevelationGeneration

Thank you for taking your time to answer me, I appreciate it.
I might completely disagree with you, but nevertheless I appreciate the kind gesture.

Let's agree to disagree.

Have a peaceful Saturday evening.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Rainbowresidue

I agree with you I don't think there is a Hell, the thing is a good man can do evil things and visa versa, in the individuals view he/she will be doing a good thing but from a different perspective It may be evil.
So is it like Karma? and what If God adds up all the good things and bad things you have done and you fail to get into heaven due to one bad word said that tips you over to evil?.
To me everyone has good and evil in them it is part of us but I don't think when we die we are the same person, I will not be Boymonkey anymore I just think we return to the source where we came from.
Lets face it primitive men who made religions knew that fear would fill their bellys and wallets and it is still used today that is what Hell is for to make people fear something to make the holy men rich and well fed.
If people have not got the God given mind to figure this out well they are stupid.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   

There is no such place.

Really? Because that option sounds much more sane than the one I hear about from my Christian friends.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

There is a difference between discussing religious beliefs and telling people that they are going to hell if they don't believe like you do. I"ve seen this coming from fundamentalist protestants and certain self described catholics and certain Muslims.

I am simply telling the truth whilst discussing spiritual matters. This thread is about Hell after all. I have every right to say where people are going according to the Word of God based on what they believe. Would you prefer me to lie to people instead?

FlyersFan
Not any more false than yours.

I am not religious I choose to follow the risen Lord Jesus.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   

The message of the Good News of Salvation was taken to the Gentiles. This was by the instructions of the resurrected Lord.

"But the Lord said unto him (Paul), Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel:" Acts 9:15

If salvation is for the Jews AND gentiles then Hell can't be a place just for the Jews!
I was trying to contradict AfterInfinity's claim that the "outer darkness" was Hell.

Jesus did speak in parables alot but this in no way means Hell is not a real place, it was so lay people could understand. Jesus spoke more of hell than heaven and spent so much time warning people not to go there.
You apparently missed my earlier post describing Hell as a real place, and how I know that by having been there. That was in connection with an actual or "near" death experience I had close to 30 years ago.

Jesus himself promised a future "second coming". So how on earth can you say people have made that up?
I have yet to have anyone quote to me that mythical verse.
There is a place, John 14:3, that says,
And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.
(2011 NIV)
I think that if you read the context, it means spiritually being with God through belief in Jesus.
There isn't anything physical about it even though famously preachers will take it out of context and surround it with a made up context to make it seem like Jesus endorses their particular theory on how to foretell the future.
edit on 23-11-2013 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Again mixing truth for faith.
Not religious? Jesus comes from Christianity you blabber on about Christ and If you don't accept him you will burn.
ALL Hell and Brimstone you are, the reason why so many turn away from religion. You are not original you are just a copy of millions of sheep with no mind of their own, who accept other peoples version of the truth when you should figure it out yourself.
You even call Jesus Lord and master...do you not understand in that tiny mind of yours that this was all put in by the Human Lords and Masters so you will accept them also?.
edit on 23-11-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Oh, now that you mention the 'fear factor' , I do remember learning about something really shocking at school when I was in 5th or 6th grade.

How in the middle ages the church would let you 'pay' your way out of hell. So if you did bad things, and had enough money, you could buy yourself a spot in heaven so to speak. As a Catholic, I remember that really shook me up. That's around the time when I started questioning everything ....

Thanks Boymonkey.

I'm glad I'm not alone.

reply to post by OneManArmy

Haunted house you say? I've had my fair share of that too, nice to see you in the club!

edit on 23/11/2013 by Rainbowresidue because: added a thought

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

I have yet to have anyone quote to me that mythical verse.
There is a place, John 14:3, that says,
And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.
(2011 NIV)
I think that if you read the context, it means spiritually being with God through belief in Jesus.
There isn't anything physical about it even though famously preachers will take it out of context and surround it with a made up context to make it seem like Jesus endorses their particular theory on how to foretell the future.

Have you actually read the New Testament for yourself? The reason I ask is because I am quite surprised by this as there are probably more than 50 verses concerning the second coming.

Here's some from Jesus:

Matthew 16:27 - For the Son of Man is going to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay each person according to what he has done

Revelation 22:12 - “Behold, I am coming soon, bringing my recompense with me, to repay everyone for what he has done.

Matthew 24:44-51 - Therefore you also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect. “Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom his master has set over his household, to give them their food at the proper time? Blessed is that servant whom his master will find so doing when he comes. Truly, I say to you, he will set him over all his possessions. But if that wicked servant says to himself, ‘My master is delayed,’ ...

Matthew 24:30 - Then will appear in heaven the sign of the Son of Man, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

Mark 14:62 - And Jesus said, “I am, and you will see the Son of Man seated at the right hand of Power, and coming with the clouds of heaven.”
edit on 23-11-2013 by RevelationGeneration because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Have you actually read the New Testament for yourself? The reason I ask is because I am quite surprised by this as there are probably more than 50 verses concerning the second coming.
I read it all the time.

Here's some from Jesus:

Matthew 16:27 - For the Son of Man is going to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay each person according to what he has done
Look at the context, which is Jesus talking to his disciples about his upcoming death.
Before that verse you quoted, he said,
“Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns.”
(2011 NIV)
and,
What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul?
(2011 NIV)
So he is talking about the obsession of some people with worldly things, as opposed to the spiritual, which would include the rebellious Jews grasping for political power and a military advantage over the Roman forces.
That's one group, and the other group was looking for financial gain in the status quo working with the Romans and collecting money through the temple system.
Both sides were opposed to Jesus being accepted as Messiah because his rule would have put an end to those ambitions.
Then right after that verse that you quoted, he said,
“Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.”
(2011 NIV)
placing the time-frame in the near future and thus fixes this judgment on the political parties presently at work in Palestine, and their soon to be placed on their heads, the guilt of the crime of murder on himself, but also the spiritual crime against the people by the priesthood, and the crime against those killed in Jerusalem in its siege and fall to the Romans in 70 AD due to the rebellion on the part of certain self-appointed false messiahs.

Revelation 22:12 - “Behold, I am coming soon, bringing my recompense with me, to repay everyone for what he has done.
Notice the word "soon" which groups this prophecy in with the ones by Jesus in Matthew.
It says right at the beginning of Revelation that what is in the book has to do with events happening right away.
The mistake is in the promoters of a hypothetical future "second coming" is to say that either John the disciple of Jesus didn't write it, or to ignore the tradition that John was martyred pretty early on, and pretending that John lived well into his nineties and wrote Revelation after the fall of Jerusalem in 70 AD.

Matthew 24:44-51 - Therefore you also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect. “Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom his master has set over his household, to give them their food at the proper time? Blessed is that servant whom his master will find so doing when he comes. Truly, I say to you, he will set him over all his possessions. But if that wicked servant says to himself, ‘My master is delayed,’ ...
This was a warning to the leaders of the Jews, who were supposed to be the shepherds of the people but thought that God was going to delay His day of reckoning on their job performance.

Matthew 24:30 - Then will appear in heaven the sign of the Son of Man, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

Mark 14:62 - And Jesus said, “I am, and you will see the Son of Man seated at the right hand of Power, and coming with the clouds of heaven.”
Which was a vision described by Daniel who could see the events in Heaven of the interactions between the Son of Man and the Ancient of Days and the Saints.
What the people who lived through the events prophesied was a day of darkness and calamity, and for those who were saved, the day of the church coming into its own as the new Israel.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   

"Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into
everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
For I was an hungered, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison,
and ye visited me not.
Then shall they also answer him, saying Lord, when saw we thee an hungered, or athirst, or
a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as you did it not to one of
the least of these, you did it not to me.
And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal."
(Matthew 25:41- 46)

"I say to you that many will come from the east and the west, and will take their places at the feast with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven. But the subjects of the kingdom will be thrown outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth." (Matthew 8:11-12).

"The Son of Man will send out his angels, and they will weed out of his kingdom everything that causes sin and all who do evil. They will throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth." (Matthew 13:41-42).

"This is how it will be at the end of the age. The angels will come and separate the wicked from the righteous and throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth." (Matthew 13:49-50).

"The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the hypocrites, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth." (Matthew 24:50-51).

"For everyone who has will be given more, and he will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him. And throw that worthless servant outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth." (Matthew 25:29-30).

"But he will reply, 'I don't know you or where you come from. Away from me, all you evildoers!' There will be weeping there, and gnashing of teeth, when you see Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, but you yourselves thrown out." (Luke 13:27-28).

Fiery furnaces and gnashing teeth. I'm sure he was referring to Mt. Helens.

edit on 23-11-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   

As a little boy once I got past the ignorance of nightly praying for the entire world's sins because I thought the world was ignorant and I wanted to save them I came to the conclusion that heaven would be a place I don't want to be. I came to this conclusion because if it was populated by those frequently definitively claiming to know a path of how to get there and being fine with dogmatically eternally damning all others based on their narrow esoteric qualifications and ruled over by a god that would condone such a thing well that sounded more like a very human cult social club rather than a place for people who are good or well meaning and thus a very unpleasant place to be despite the superficial appeasements.

Your views seem to be very callous which seemed as indicated by your posts to be based on fear rooted in dogmatic beliefs which is fine as everyone is free to believe what they want but I don't understand how you can reconcile love especially a unconditional love of a benevolent godly creator with your narrow mined esoteric dogmatic beliefs which would callously toss into your eternal pain and damnation all but a few despite how "good" and loving a person might be based on not sharing a belief that might not fit with the circumstances of a life they have experienced. If god was as you depict by your apparent viewpoints of hell/heaven and who gets the nod to get in I understand whole heartily rallying against them.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Fiery furnaces and gnashing teeth. I'm sure he was referring to Mt. Helens.
The Matthew 8:11-12 should be the most obvious one that demonstrates what I was talking about.
Those who should have been "in the kingdom" are not going to be in it when it counts, to be replaced by others who were previously "outside".
The first shall be last.
The fire in the other quote is what happened to Jerusalem and the temple literally.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Strayed

There is only one path to Heaven and that is through Jesus Christ.

Blind belief is actually foreign to the Bible. I tend to find militant atheists more dogmatic than anyone.

Telling people the Truth about Hell is the opposite of callous. If you saw someone walking towards a cliff edge the loving thing to do would be to warn them.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   

RevelationGeneration
I am simply telling the truth whilst discussing spiritual matters.

That's just it. One persons 'truth' is another persons lie. You could easily be wrong.
Just as I could be wrong. Or anyone here could be wrong.

Discussing beliefs is great.
Telling others they are going to hell if they dont' agree with those beliefs is wrong.

Case in point -

RevelationGeneration

Hindu proverb .... there are many paths up the mountain all leading to the same place. The only person wasting time is the one running around the mountain telling others they are on the wrong path.

edit on 11/23/2013 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   

RevelationGeneration
reply to post by Strayed

Blind belief is actually foreign to the Bible. I tend to find militant atheists more dogmatic than anyone.

Telling people the Truth about Hell is the opposite of callous. If you saw someone walking towards a cliff edge the loving thing to do would be to warn them.

Prove it.
What proved it to you to so happily tell everyone else that the only way to their salvation is through an idol?

I think thats the point of this thread.
EDIT: Actually its about the appearance of hell, not how to avoid it.
edit on 201311America/Chicago11am11amSat, 23 Nov 2013 11:10:26 -06001113 by OneManArmy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Ah I see your a Preterist who think's Jesus already returned in 70AD. You realize this doctrine was founded by the Jesuits back in the time of the Reformation? It kinda falls flat on it's face because the Book of Revelation was not even written until about 95 or 96 AD.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join