It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lethal weapon: This is the gun that is killing America

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 05:31 AM
link   

IT'S designed as a military killing machine and instead it's doing its job slaughtering the innocent in shopping malls, schools and cinemas across America.

The gun that's killing America is a lightweight, easy to handle assault rifle that has become a lethal weapon in the hands of losers, misfits and people with a grudge.
Gun enthusiasts call it the "iPhone" of gun shops.

Lethal weapon: This is the gun that is killing America

Oh boy.

Boy oh boy oh boy, so this 'story' is doing the rounds on Australian news sites at the moment, well on Newscorp sites at least.

I haven't read it yet, but the snippet above is already full of fallacies, such as calling the AR an assault rifle.

So the gun debate continues it seems, here in Australia the article will be preaching to the already converted, as most Australians fear guns, rather than respect and understand them.

It's infuriating to read such tripe, (I'm not surprised though, it is a newscrap story) because anyone could go find motor vehicle death statistics and compare with gun deaths and see that more people die from cars than guns, yet here we are, fearing guns.

Yes, there are psychos out there, and if it wasn't an AR, it would be something else..the weapon doth make a man a murderer.

edit on 4-11-2013 by AlphaHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Just the usual crap from the media. I'm not even surprised at all. I don't even pay attention to newspapers and anchors talking about guns, since they know almost nothing about them. It's just fearmongering, blame shifting and general bullcrap.

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by AlphaHawk

I guess it would make them feel better if they used 10/22 rifles, 12 Gauge shotguns with slugs or bolt action .308 rifles? (rolls eyes)

Thanks for sharing OP. That is one of the biggest loads of propaganda I've seen in quite some time. A good laugh to start the day with, to be sure. Heck, I sold mine because it is a piece of junk without the piston system...and if it doesn't cost at least a couple thousand, it likely doesn't have one.

I love how they seem to have gotten bored with blaming just any gun, and now pick that one in particular. I'd rather the bad guys have that .22 on steroids than a REAL gun like the AK-47, firing the equivalent of a .308.

Still, take away every gun? We see the result in China occasionally, among other places. Crazy people will go on stabbing sprees instead.

If given the choice, I'd rather be shot than gutted like a fish. Of course, I'd rather just keep my right to carry my own weapon, as I regularly do. That should prevent either one happening, eh?

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   

You just said you havent read it yet, but then go on to state how you hate reading that stuff.

I tend to agree with you, it's not our business and there is no reason for us to have any input on it, especially such an opinion piece.

BUT the article links a number of recvent shootings that used that gun.

So wether or not you can call a car a weapon, is moot.. Unless a VW becomes the car of choice for dysfunctional members of society to go and mow down a plethora of people...

edit on 4-11-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-11-2013 by winofiend because: OH FFS typoes be damned... Oo

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 05:52 AM
link   

I thought military weapons had Full-Auto on the selector?

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by AliceBleachWhite

Depends on the weapon.

Interesting fact: AR-15's are legal in Canada.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 06:30 AM
link   

winofiend

You just said you havent read it yet, but then go on to state how you hate reading that stuff.

I tend to agree with you, it's not our business and there is no reason for us to have any input on it, especially such an opinion piece.

BUT the article links a number of recvent shootings that used that gun.

So wether or not you can call a car a weapon, is moot.. Unless a VW becomes the car of choice for dysfunctional members of society to go and mow down a plethora of people...

edit on 4-11-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-11-2013 by winofiend because: OH FFS typoes be damned... Oo

In Australia your car is a weapon.

A MAN who allegedly used his car in an attempt to kill is the latest in a rare type of case where motor vehicles have been used as a deadly weapon.

news.drive.com.au...

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

Yep, don't even got to register mine lol. If I still lived in NY, mine would now be "illegal", one too many private customizations on a gun make them an "illegal assault rifle". It's really a joke, none of my cutomizations make the gun any more deadly, just some convenience, like not worrying about accidentally touching a hot ass barrel to my skin for example. The bullet is not gonna get any more deadly or powerful when it is another gun.
edit on Mon, 04 Nov 2013 06:35:25 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Once again, I couldn't agree more. The AK-47 is the superior weapon. 7.62 beats 5.56 all day long. Does anyone remember journalists? You know ,people who simply reported the facts and didn't try to trick you into thinking what they wanted you to think. A journalist would never call someone "losers"-unless they had in fact lost a game or a battle.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Believe me the laws are much more ridiculous up here. Magazines have to be pinned to 5 rounds for rifles and 10 for pistols. But there is a loophole where you can get magazines that use AR-15 ammo but are built for a pistol . So you can use those (10 rounds per magazine) legally because they are technically pistol magazines, yet they fit the AR-15.

Stupid stupid laws like that plague Canadian gun owners. Half the reason I haven't bothered to invest in any firearms. I enjoy sport shooting but the legal red tape is completely ridiculous (it's set up that way on purpose).

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Hmm. Shall we look at the percentage of gun owners who possess one of these rifles, and then compare the number of people who own one, with the number of people who have committed murder with them?

What a ridiculous story. Back ten years it would have been a tech nine, or an UZI, back further than that a 22. pistol, favoured by mafia as an assassination weapon, or the sawn off which is a dear friend to stick up merchants, and bank robbers everywhere.

Lets be real about this. A gun is a lump of metal. Left to its own devices, or handled by responsible owners, it is no more likely to kill someone than is a house brick, or an engine block, or a plastic bag. In the hands of a complete lunatic, or someone suffering symptoms of a schizoid or psychotic malfunction however, ANYTHING can become a tool of mass murder.

I could go out right now with a shopping bag, and stalk and suffocate as many people as I could before being detected and detained. I reckon I could kill as many people as have been dropped in any one of the incidents featured in the article, inside of one day using just a shopping bag, and whats worse is, the way I would do it, no one would ever know I was there, but for the eventual stink of a well hidden corpse or forty. No noise, no warning, just a brief and futile struggle before oblivion sets in.

However, being the well adjusted sort that I am, I refrain from such activity, because I am not incapable of reason, and my morality would prevent me from doing something so evil as to randomly stalk and kill people. THAT is what is killing Americans right now. An unwillingness or inability to properly deal with the psychological issues which affect its citizens, a failure which has lead to these disaffected, damaged individuals being allowed to play their psychoses out with life and death hanging in the balance!

I

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Don't know about handguns up here, haven't even really bothered with that. I don't really like handguns much, fun to play with once in a while. Lots of long guns though. I wish I had a camera when we crossed the border. We took up every table in the picnic area when we laid out all our guns to be inspected to make sure they weren't stolen lol. Was quite a scene.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Meh. It's just a news piece by a reporter who was paid to make a news article, couldn't think of anything else and thought why not the weapons in america?

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Guns don't kill people... People kill people...

I don't see a push to ban automobiles because of drunk drivers...
I don't see a push to ban alcohol because of drunk drivers...
I don't see a push to ban knives...
Baseball bats....
Glass Bottles...

etc etc etc....

Gun Control laws will only apply to those people who follow the law. As we know from history there are people who will follow, and there are people who will ignore them.

Gun control laws do not work as it hinders a lawful persons right to defend themselves against those who break the law.

As for Australia pushing the gun argument.... If their gun control laws are so successful then why does their law enforcement still carry guns? If Britain's gun control laws are so successful then why do their police still have guns (in general)?

While other countries have their own viewpoint on guns and gun control, the US view on them is not the same.

For the US it stems from our split from England...

An unarmed populace = subjects.
An armed populace = citizens.

Our 2nd amendment was put in place to allow the citizens the ability to protect themselves from the Government. Our Government derives its authority from the consent of the people. Should that government act in opposition to the will of the people, the people have a right and duty to seek a redress of grievances. The 2nd amendment is the option of last resort, as we saw when we broke away from the mother country.

"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
- Thomas Jefferson

The purpose of Law Enforcement in the United States is NOT to protect the individual, it is to protect society as a whole. That means the first line of defense is almost always the citizen and not the police.
edit on 4-11-2013 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Refreshing to see such sound logic being espoused by a brit for a change. I know there's still a few of you with your heads screwed on straight over there. Usually all I hear from the U.K on the subject is rabid pro gun control nonsense. Hell, I hear the same stuff here (Canada).

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   

I had no Idea they made pistols that shoot 5.56/.223. I couldn't fathom it, so I looked it up and sure enough, they look more like SMG's than pistols. With overall lengths of 18+ inches can someone tell me why these guns are still classified as pistols?

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by riffraff

It's functionality, not looks, that makes an SMG an SMG.
edit on Mon, 04 Nov 2013 07:01:01 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   

TKDRL

It's functionality, not looks, that makes an SMG an SMG.
edit on Mon, 04 Nov 2013 07:01:01 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

I know that. I know what a SMG is. I'm saying why are these considered pistols? They shoot rifle rounds and look like they would require both hands to operate.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Lest anyone think false flags don't exist consider what are the odds that -

The shooters in each of the following used an AR15 to commit mass murder:
Aurora
Clackamas Mall shooting
Sandy Hook
LAX

EVERY mass murderer would choose the same weapon?
An AK47 is roughly equivalent and much cheaper yet no one chose it even though they are more common?
I would guesstimate 1 in every 4 or 5 gun owners might have an AR.
This single weapon used by our military and police would also happen to be the choice for mass murderers.
Every single time?
Highly improbable.

Eta: Found this little lie:

On December 14, 2012, 20-year-old Adam Lanza took his mother, Nancy's Bushmaster XM15-E2S rifle, a version of the AR-15, and killed her at their home

He shot his mother with a .22 cal rifle.
Ooops!
edit on 4-11-2013 by Asktheanimals because: added comment

edit on 4-11-2013 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   

They are pistols because they lack a butt stock and can not (technically) be fired from the shoulder. They typically have barrels in the 10 inch range. Rifles must have a barrel length of at least 16 inches (in the US) or be registered as a SBR (Short Barrel Rifle).

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join