It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lethal weapon: This is the gun that is killing America

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan

IvanAstikov
reply to post by Doc Gator

You can call a horse a race horse whether it is a world-beater or a nag, though.

Have you ever fired a fully automatic rifle? For killing power, ill take semi auto over fully auto any day. 3 round burst...possibly.

But with a single shot, assault style rifle, someone who is a marksman become quite deadly as it becomes a "point and shoot" series of muscle movements. Fully auto....youhave to fight the recoil too much.

They all have their place. That's why they are all still in the inventory.

Recoil on full auto is reasonably controllable in the AR platform. Much more so than the AK. I always viewed 3 round bust as compensation for poor marksmanship.

If I have to provide suppressive fire, a bolt action is a poor choice. If I am tasked with taking out point targets at distance, I'll choose a bolt action every time.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   
if you think back, it use to be that every time you saw a news article it was the ak 47 that was the culprit.
remember all the gang shootings and drug busts. you always saw tables full of drugs, cash and ak 47's or sk's

now it's the ar15, if you look at the way it's going they have moved on from the war on gangs and drugs and on to the war on home grown terrorists, and gun control.

which i think that they are trying to get every one to think that a right wing wacko carries a ar 15, you know it's a american thing.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by AlphaHawk

That's not what is killing America. What is killing America is the government requiring licenses and permits of law abiding gun owners to increase revenue, while the criminals do not pay for permits or licenses or register their firearms. Then because hardly anyone is packing heat in public now, unlike the 1800's and before, those deviant individuals can engage in a shooting spree and murder scores of people in the 5 minutes it takes the cops to arrive. Criminals do not obey the law, that is the core of the problem. Either arm the entire populace, or go back to a trial followed by a prompt hanging the next morning to give those deviants something to second guess themselves on.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   

lonewolf19792000

That's not what is killing America. What is killing America is the government requiring licenses and permits of law abiding gun owners to increase revenue, while the criminals do not pay for permits or licenses or register their firearms. Then because hardly anyone is packing heat in public now, unlike the 1800's and before, those deviant individuals can engage in a shooting spree and murder scores of people in the 5 minutes it takes the cops to arrive. Criminals do not obey the law, that is the core of the problem. Either arm the entire populace, or go back to a trial followed by a prompt hanging the next morning to give those deviants something to second guess themselves on.

That' would be great.....if the legal system wasn't corrupt.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Gator

Recoil on full auto is reasonably controllable in the AR platform. Much more so than the AK. I always viewed 3 round bust as compensation for poor marksmanship.

i tell what our PMI told us when on the island.

you cant always flip over to auto and hose down the area. one shot one kill. then at ITS it was always taught to use controlled burst of 3 to 5 rounds.

there is wildly held beliefs that every branch has the best shooters, but hands down, every marine is a rifleman first, then whatever their mos is.

edit on 4-11-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by IvanAstikov

I beg to differ on those odds. It's not just the myriad of liquor store hold up videos we see where often enough, store keeper and bad guy blast away at each other with what MUST be eyes only half open or closed, as no one is hit ...or hit lightly with no life threatening injury. It's also the training I got for CCW and defensive shooting.

3 shots, 3 seconds at 3 feet. That has been a rough (very rough) rule of thumb with it's origin in FBI statistics for defensive gun use in the United States. More often than not? Either no one is hit, or someone other than the intended target is.

I've seen a few people in my life who didn't just play and THINK they knew how to use a knife, but really DID. I don't carry a knife and discourage others for that reason. I'd never stand a chance and I'm big enough to realize that, to never try. I'd be sliced, diced and turned to kibbles before I even realized the fight had ended....almost before it began.

I HATE knives, because a bullet leaves a wound path. If it isn't a rifle designed to tumble the bullet? The damage is limited. They need to hit something vital. A knife? Just insert at waist level and raise forcefully until it stops. There isn't much left to repair but, unfortunately, you'd have more time than you want to ponder that fact.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
While deaths attributed to the oft miss named "assault rifle" which civilian versions are just semi-autos requiring trigger pull for each shot make for exciting news copy and seem to be involved in an agenda to disarm the population lets step back and realize more are killed in accidental deaths from falling and such which makes for rather boring headlines,

Mortality Rates 2011

I don't see any movement calling for the outlawing of stairs which kill more each year than "assault rifles" in civilian hands.

Those wicked stairs leave more orphans and broken families in their wake and a petition should be started at WH.Gov to outlaw them, especially any that are painted or trimmed in black or have more than 7 steps. LOL

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by riffraff

Absoluetly,the AR was forced into service so women could shoot as well.As to the weight issue,I had to carry the pig so don't get me started on the weight of 308 ammo ,I had no other "crew" on a recon patrol.

Hey Aussies, it's OK just more crazy people scaring the norms again.It seems they are feeding them neurotropic drugs that are causing these folks to lose control.

The rifles are fun though come on over and shoot one sometime ,you'll laugh.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Pejeu
"It's not an assault rifle cause it doesn't come stock with a fully automatic position for the safety selector."

Cry me a river.

Oh, and it has a 25 round clip instead of a 30 round clip.

Everyone knows it ain't an assault rifle unless it has a 5 round larger cap. clip.
edit on 2013/11/4 by Pejeu because: (no reason given)

They don't have clips. They have magazines. If you're gonna be a know-it-all then at least....ya know what, forget it.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Snarl

riffraff
The AK-47 is the superior weapon.

On this we could agree.

riffraff
7.62 beats 5.56 all day long.

On this we could not. Especially if it's a 7.62X39 fired from an AK-47.

They're tools. Not much different than a surgeon's scalpel. The scalpel does not heal, it cuts.

I knew as I was typing that someone was gonna say exactly that: different tools for different jobs.
Anyway my point, and I bet we'll agree on this, is if I could get hit by a round and survive I would much rather get hit with the 5.56. There would be more of me left after I had healed. The 7.62 is more destructive.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
No semi-auto weapon should be banned except for short barralled shotguns. As for automatics? Ban them all! Also ban conversion kits like bump fire stocks. Unless law-makers comprehend what they talk about, they sound foolish.

And ar-15 shoots .22 caliber bullets. Not that destructive compared to ak-47 that shoots .308 caliber.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

Automatics are already banned.. You cannot purchase a fully automatic firearm unless you have a class 3. Even then these people are the ones building weapons for police and military / para-military.

A civilian AR-15 is 100% of the time always semi-automatic.

And yes they are used for hunting.... Wild Pigs (the doom bringers of the American south), Coyotes and Wolves mostly.

Wild pigs is the biggest one by far. You cant kill them fast enough...

Not all ARs are 5.56/.223 rem either... They are available in almost any caliber.
edit on 4-11-2013 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I'm not sure LAX counts as a mass murder to be fair. Quibbling yes. I'm from New Zealand, yet lived in the USA for a decade, I'm not gun adverse, just idiots with gun adverse, worry about the user not the gun. I have also worked security as an undergrad and been bottled, so a person wanting to do harm will use whatever they can.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   

oh yes let the fear panic commence , at the end of your links vid the man has and shoots one in full auto , now that it has been seen all will think that do not know what the weapon does, will think they are all full auto.... propaganda at it finest, only the mil or swat can have full auto or if you lucky enough to be rich enough you too can get all the: stamps,certs, and paper work to own one in full auto.... cost for all that $3500, that is for me any way had a chance to get an BAR and ar18 in 308, link this one is the ar 18 www.griggsonline.com... the link is
only for you to see the rifle BAR yes it wiky wacka en.wikipedia.org... now you know

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Yeah you cant buy any automatic weapon made after the assault weapons ban of the 80s. I dont even remember the date because I am not much into guns in general. I own two 12 guage shotguns, one is double barrell and one is semi-auto. They are good enough in terms of hunting and self-protection.

You can only trade used automatics made before the ban took effect. Since the supply is rather limited the prices are extremely expensive, plus you have to pay a $200 transfer tax to register it.

I should have said, keep automatic weapons banned to prevent misleading people. My bad.
edit on 4/11/13 by EarthCitizen07 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I dont know what people are worried about , there have only been 305 mass shootings in America so far this year. That's slightly less than 1 every day.

Mass shootings 2013

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   

riffraff
Anyway my point, and I bet we'll agree on this, is if I could get hit by a round and survive I would much rather get hit with the 5.56. There would be more of me left after I had healed. The 7.62 is more destructive.

I would not agree. I would much rather not be shot by either. But, having seen wounds from both, I would much prefer to be hit by a 7.62x39 (AK47 round) than a 5.56 NATO round. The AK rounds tends to pass through tissue, while the AR rounds tend to fragment. This makes treatment significantly more difficult and raises the lethality level of the round. This is one of the main reasons that the Russians rechambered for the 5.45 round when they introduced the AK74.

There is always a trade off. The 7.62x39 has more "stopping" power, but the 5.56 NATO is significantly more destructive to tissue.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Pejeu
"It's not an assault rifle cause it doesn't come stock with a fully automatic position for the safety selector."

Cry me a river.

Oh, and it has a 25 round clip instead of a 30 round clip.

Everyone knows it ain't an assault rifle unless it has a 5 round larger cap. clip.
edit on 2013/11/4 by Pejeu because: (no reason given)

Wrong. An assault rifle is a rifle that is selective from semi to full with means of a selector switch. That is one of the definitions of an assault rifle. The 30 round magazine is standard for an AR-15 style rifle.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Pejeu

Just saying...

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Lots of people from car accidents die because of their own fault.

Both need to be regulated hard, so people who would not use these responsibly do not get licences.

Car licences exist, why should guns require similar training?

Car can be used as a weapon, gun is a weapon and serves no other purpose than to shoot when needed.Most people are not afraid of guns, but they see no reason to get these, at least that is how it is round here. I could get one easily, but what´s the point, whom should I be afraid of?...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join