It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The majority thinks Christians are judgemental and stupid

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

So you are saying that all these different religions essentially worship the same god. That's fine, I can get behind that. Of course by saying that, you are indirectly saying that all religions are correct. However, if one religion is correct at a point the others must be wrong on that point (unless they say exactly the same thing, which rarely if ever occurs). If a religion is wrong on a point, it is inherently flawed (if you can't trust one part of it, then you can't trust any of it). Therefore all religions are flawed. Conclusion, describing yourself to worship one particular religion is foolish and your relationship with God should be between you and God, not your pastor, not your sheik, not your rabbi, not your politician, just you.

Of course this is all provided God exists, I've seen no proof to suggest that He does.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by LoneGunMan

Hmmm... I think you are misreading my post. I never implied (or at least tried to) that praying and being thankful for your food is sick. I just don't believe in prayer, so when others want to do it I just go with the crowd and pretend that I am doing it. Besides why should I thank God for the food? Shouldn't I call my local farmer up and thank him? What about the person who delivered it to the supermarket? The supermarket employees? No, God is totally more deserving of my thanks not all the people who toiled and gave up their free time to make sure I could easily buy my food for thanksgiving. Thoughtful wishes mean squat if the person isn't aware you are thankful.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Stormdancer777
reply to post by benrl

Anyway, I am not good,

“There is no one righteous, not even one;
there is no one who understands;
there is no one who seeks God.
All have turned away,
they have together become worthless;
there is no one who does good,
not even one.

Therefore no one will be declared righteous in God’s sight by the works of the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of our sin.

But now apart from the law the righteousness of God has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. This righteousness is given through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference between Jew and Gentile, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.

Great post, I agree with it all. I only clipped it to stay within the T&C.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Stormdancer777
reply to post by olaru12

the reason for the ordinary people talking in "bible speak" is an affectation to appear pious, holy and closer to God and set themselves apart from the rabble and common people.

No one does that.

Oh really, how about this from Lone Gunman.

Therefore no one will be declared righteous in God’s sight by the works of the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of our sin. But now apart from the law the righteousness of God has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. This righteousness is given through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference between Jew and Gentile, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.

That's not bible speak? Sounds like it to me.

And I am righteously humbled by the pious words of God's most righteous servant LoneGunman for I have sinned and my grace will fall short in the glory of God.

I have no problem with people believing what ever they want to. It's the pretentiousness that I find very distasteful.
edit on 25-10-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Krazysh0t
reply to post by ketsuko

So you are saying that all these different religions essentially worship the same god. That's fine, I can get behind that. Of course by saying that, you are indirectly saying that all religions are correct. However, if one religion is correct at a point the others must be wrong on that point (unless they say exactly the same thing, which rarely if ever occurs). If a religion is wrong on a point, it is inherently flawed (if you can't trust one part of it, then you can't trust any of it). Therefore all religions are flawed. Conclusion, describing yourself to worship one particular religion is foolish and your relationship with God should be between you and God, not your pastor, not your sheik, not your rabbi, not your politician, just you.

Of course this is all provided God exists, I've seen no proof to suggest that He does.

A God that needs to prove Himself to you wouldn't be much of a God.
That being said. There are people who will disbelieve anything if they are determined not to believe. If there is a Rapture, for example, there will be people who could watch whole families just disappear and find any explanation for it other than God lifting them up. Or, if you prefer, God could raise someone you know from the dead, and if you are determined not to believe you will find another explanation for what happens.

As to your attack on religion, we all need to codify our beliefs. People use organized religion to take strength and fellowship in communities of other believers. This can be a good and bad thing as we've discussed in depth here. Personally, I think God has tried to speak to us ever since we've been here. I think the repeating tenets and traditions of religions like the continual repeat of the Golden Rule is one bit of proof.

But I do agree that our relationship with God is a personal one. That's a protestant belief, btw. However, it's mistake to think that just because anything man sets himself to is inevitably flawed that there is no value in any of it, including religion. It's just a matter of being aware.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Artlogic

I am sorry you feel you need to be so hateful. Why? I never said anything to warrant such a belittling post as that. I am just a person trying to get along in a terrible world, just like you. I have feelings and do not need to receive such hate and belittlement.

May you find love in your heart for those you do not like. I love you, I used to be just like you. I hope you find something beautiful like I have to get you through this place.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Ah, so you are referring to the quoting of scripture as "Bible speak."

Well, I've had as many or more atheists do that to me as I have Christians.

In fact, I should add that I've run into far more atheists who are into the literal interpretation of the Bible than I have Christians.

edit on 25-10-2013 by ketsuko because: adding new thoughts

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
this is the way i look at it.

if i was an atheist, i'd be blamed for what atheists have done
if i was a muslim, i'd be blamed for what muslims have done
if i was a jew, i'd be blamed for what jews have done.
in fact, i'd be blamed for the actions of others, no matter what my world view is,
so might as well pick one i have understanding of and experience with.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
OP If you had told me this 500 years ago.. I would have said "Pfft.. yeah ahhaa".

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   

undo
listen

Undo that is the neatest little video, makes me want to STOMP! Christians check it out tell me if it doesn't make you want to testify!! And Stomp! I so LOVE black Gospel...

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   

ketsuko

Well, I've had as many or more atheists do that to me as I have Christians.

In fact, I should add that I've run into far more atheists who are into the literal interpretation of the Bible than I have Christians.

edit on 25-10-2013 by ketsuko because: adding new thoughts

Why do you assume I'm an atheist? And my religion and approach to spiritually is private and is none of your business anyway.

I just find "bible speak" with the arrogant, holier than thou implications, arrogant and tasteless.

Also....
If you are going to use Bible quotations at least quote chapter and verse so people can have a reference to see if the quotation was used in the proper context. Is that to much to ask?

edit on 25-10-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I am no longer a Christian, however, I will not make undue assumptions about people based on their religion.

I was raised Southern Baptist and Assembly of God. I know good Christians and bad ones.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I have always noticed that so many seem to misinterpret annoyance as underlying fear. It's half amusing, half exasperating.
Christianity has developed an awful reputation, that fact is clear. It cannot magically influence the world away from corrupt actions with its mere presence, that's just unrealistic. We could always use more nice people, however.

edit on 25-10-2013 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Our faith will be shaken, and proven wrong in these times.

So you're telling me that even if your faith is proven wrong, you will still hold on to it knowing that it was proven to be wrong?

2+2=78, that's been proven wrong, but I still believe it's right. Do you see how ridiculous that sounds? If something is wrong, you're supposed to abandon it and find what is right.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   

olaru12
Biblical Christians talk funny.

They take on the speech patterns reflected in the Bible; like some how that will make their ideas or feelings more legitimate and believeable.

Verily I say unto you, that's BS.

I will bear witness to your proclamation!! I have placed stars upon your tabernacle. In hilarity, I do depart.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I`m with you OP, I used to be convinced that most Christians are judgmental and stupid and obnoxious. I don't anymore.

That must mean I myself have become judgmental, stupid and obnoxious?

Anyway...I`m not a Christian, but I can see both sides now.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

I was raised Catholic, if all of a sudden I witnessed a bunch of people beam up into the heavens, I think that would make a believer out of me. Again I'm agnostic not atheist. You are intelligent, I shouldn't have to tell you the difference.

And yes, God does need to prove himself to me or anyone else, otherwise he is no different than a figment of my imagination. A feel good story to make myself feel better when I'm nervous or scared. However, without physical proof it all just remains a story.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Proven wrong by what/who? That is the question you did not ask yourself.

The two most influential men in science, probably two of the greatest minds of all time believe in God. Sir Isaac Newton and Albert Einstein believed in God.

This is foretold in prophesy, what will separate wheat from the chaff will be faith.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   

3NL1GHT3N3D1

2+2=78, that's been proven wrong, but I still believe it's right. Do you see how ridiculous that sounds? If something is wrong, you're supposed to abandon it and find what is right.

Enlightened one...for one with that for a handle you did not give a very enlightened response. A good prosecutor can prove something wrong to the jury and still lie.
edit on 25-10-2013 by LoneGunMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Judgemental? Not necessarily.

Stupid? Obviously.

Of course the above is not restricted to christians.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join