It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McDonald’s worker arrested after telling company president she can’t afford shoes

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   

mikell
If you set your lifes goals low don't be upset about what you get. 10 years and she's unhappy I'd fire her and get someone off the street for $0.10 more per hour and probably have a better employee. She's probably the kind that does the bare minimum to keep the job

It isn't illegal yet to not have ambition in life.

Some of you people make my arse laugh. People are working but even that isn't enough for you, you want them to do a BETTER job whether it's what they want or not, whether there are the jobs available or not. It just makes you feel better that someone else is struggling to live on crap pay and you demand they jump through hoops to get more pay: work two jobs, or three or four, get qualifications (cos there are LOADS of jobs for qualified workers - HA!), be a manager, do this, do that.

I hope she does do the bare minimum to keep the job, I hope they ALL do. Minimum pay gets minimum work - fair's fair.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
This will probably sound heartless but...

Why should someone who makes and sells poison trash be paid anything?

I hope her whole line of work, i.e. "fast food" goes under...

I'm sorry that she chose McDonalds as her career choice, but that stuff is trash and she should be paid nothing due to the fact that no one should be purchasing their products.

But thats just me maybe.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   

calstorm
I have to disagree. If you live in an area where there ARE no other jobs, and you have 6,000 people apply for a total of 12 jobs at a McDonalds like I used to then no, it's not really your fault because you don't have any other options available to you.
Where I used to live, there wasn't a minimum wage job that gave you more than 10-12 hours a week. It wasn't until I moved that I realized how bad things were there.
edit on 9-10-2013 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

THIS AND WHEN WILL PEOPLE STOP THINKING OTHERS ARE THEIR SLAVES AND OH WELL DON'T WORK FOR THAT ITS YOUR FAULT. THE WORLD HAS A FEW MIDDLE CLASS AND A TINY AMOUNT OF WEALTHY, BUT MOST ARE STARVING. GROW UP BECAUSE ANYONE WHO DOES NOT LOVE EVERYONE EQUALLY IS HEADING DOWN TO LOWER DIMENSIONS.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Biigs
reply to post by buster2010

Yes?

If you cant support the new additions to your family or any contraception - yeah dont have sex. Why is that so hard to understand?

I love to buy fast cars on credit, do i whine to my boss for a pay raise because i cant afford the repayments.

No its not the same exactly.... but logically it absolutely does make sense. Cant support - dont expand.

edit on 10-10-2013 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

Love it, that's really funny! HaHa!

So watching your beloved undress for bed and snuggle in next to you requires only the self control to do nothing as it would to run out and buy a car!

edit on 10-10-2013 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Biigs
How many hours and how many days does she work and what exactly is she feeding her kids?

I dont buy things i cant afford, i dont do things i cant afford and i dont have kids that i cant feed on my wage.

Basically what she is saying - "Waaah, i have two kids and a secure low wage job that i have had for 10 years, pay me more than im worth please because...... you know i have those kids"

Do you want a pay raise? Its easy, just have some kids!

She could lose her job and get more on welfare with 2 kids.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   

jjkenobi
I'm conflicted on this.

On one hand, all jobs simply cannot be paid +$30k a year. Someone who puts frozen french fries into a fryer and then moves them to a paper bag does not provide enough value to justify payment that high. Even if you ignored that and paid them all $30k then McDonalds would go out of business selling a value meal for $50 and her income would be zero.

On the other hand I am GLAD she is actually working and not just sitting at home having more kids leaching off those who actually work.

Bottom line is people who provide for a family should not be working at McDonalds (or any other min wage job). I don't really blame McDonalds. They can't pay burger flippers $30k and stay in business. I guess I blame her although that sounds harsh. She needs to provide for her family. This cannot be done working at McDonalds. The solution: don't work at McDonalds. Get a better job. Get an education. I loaned my entire way through college and worked part-time. Now I earn more than min wage. It can be done. Yelling at the McDonalds CEO isn't going to get it done.

They should get more than poverty wages for a full time job. No one said anything about paying 30-50k We have a listed poverty level for each state and we know the average cost of housing and utilities.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Alekto

calstorm
I have to disagree. If you live in an area where there ARE no other jobs, and you have 6,000 people apply for a total of 12 jobs at a McDonalds like I used to then no, it's not really your fault because you don't have any other options available to you.
Where I used to live, there wasn't a minimum wage job that gave you more than 10-12 hours a week. It wasn't until I moved that I realized how bad things were there.
edit on 9-10-2013 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

Ummmmm..... Move?

I wonder how people with families ever move, saving first last and deposit and opening unities and other costs of moving.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   

mikell
If you set your lifes goals low don't be upset about what you get. 10 years and she's unhappy I'd fire her and get someone off the street for $0.10 more per hour and probably have a better employee. She's probably the kind that does the bare minimum to keep the job

if you have ever owned a business you should know that reliable is a rare rare thing. People who call in sick every busy Friday so they can party, have a sick uncle every approaching holiday and just plain don't show or come in hung over and sit around eating.

My sister has a great job, but she has a heart problem, when she took a promotion the stress she brought home each day nearly killed her, she asked to go back to her old position. There are many reasons someone may not be ambitious including religious reasons, that does not make a person less valuable nor their job less valuable.

'She's probably the kind" that is loyal and consistent and knows she is a good employee who should be given a raise.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   

11:11
Interesting, I really didn't like how you discredited her at the end of your post OP...every time I see someone working an extremely low paying job I just feel bad for them, but it's capitalism. We just sit back and say that, oh they chose that life, if she wanted to she should do better for herself. I watched the video and of course I see a stereotype there, but it's still sad that people have to work so hard for so little.

Sit back and ask yourself how much work you do for the lifestyle you live? I can't speak for everyone, but I have an easy life making high earnings after spending money at school and having my parents help me. I don't work as hard at all as a McDonalds employee, it's not fair if you don't understand the system or are born into poverty.

I was born into poverty. I hated growing up poor. I worked MW jobs, including flipping burgers at McDonalds, and did everything I could to better myself so I did not have to go back to flipping burgers at McDonalds. 10 years without bettering herself? Methinks the problem lies with her and her lack of ambition. Even in this situation, instead of getting more skills or climbing up the chain in McDonalds, she demands an increase without demonstrating in increased skillset or ability to justify said increase. Entitlement mentality.
edit on 10-10-2013 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

If one does nothing to make themselves more valuable, then they should not be surprised when they find that others do not value them more. Labor is a commodity. It is worth what the market bears like any other commodity. If you want more for your labor, then you have to make your labor more valuable.
edit on 10-10-2013 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

If you cannot provide for your children you are an irresponsible parent.

In the wild the weak family's and genes are filtered out. What we gain in general intelligence for survival, we lack the moral duty to make sure that we dont introduce another mouth where what is available is already spread thin, its become to easy to be greedy.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Char-Lee

mikell

if you have ever owned a business you should know that reliable is a rare rare thing. People who call in sick every busy Friday so they can party, have a sick uncle every approaching holiday and just plain don't show or come in hung over and sit around eating.

My sister has a great job, but she has a heart problem, when she took a promotion the stress she brought home each day nearly killed her, she asked to go back to her old position. There are many reasons someone may not be ambitious including religious reasons, that does not make a person less valuable nor their job less valuable.

'She's probably the kind" that is loyal and consistent and knows she is a good employee who should be given a raise.

Actually, if she has not gotten a raise in 10 years, she is probably not the kind that is reliable and consistently on time or a good worker.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   

NavyDoc

If one does nothing to make themselves more valuable, then they should not be surprised when they finds that others do not value them more. Labor is a commodity. It is worth what the market bears like any other commodity. If you want more for your labor, then you have to make your labor more valuable.

What these minimum pay workers need to realise is they are far more important to a company than they are told and led to believe. These companies NEED these jobs to be done or their business can't function - you think McD's and the like employ people as a favour? They don't. They employ them for one reason and one reason only - because they NEED THEM, and that makes them VALUABLE to the company.

So, once minimum pay workers realise this fact they will understand how powerful they really are. They can demand a wage they are able to live on, and get it. They can demand workers rights, and get them. Or those jobs don't get done by ANYBODY and the company grinds to a standstill.

I don't know about the US, but I'm guessing every company in the UK today employs minimum wage workers, so a strike would grind the whole country to a very painful halt. Businesses can't function, in fact the whole country can't function, without low-skilled workers. This will affect EVERYBODY. FACT!

Minimum pay workers are brainwashed into believing they are worthless because they have no skills and are dispensable, it is hammered into them, it is hammered into everyone. But when they're pissed off enough (like I am) with being constantly ground further into the dirt for contributing their working lives, in any way they can, to a poor-hating society that doesn't appreciate their efforts and wants to stamp them down for their trouble, they'll wake up and say well screw that and screw you all.

They will realise all this before much longer. They will show these tight-wad companies and all you haters too, just how 'worthless' they are. So, keep on stamping as hard as you can, it will just hasten the long-overdue wake-up day for you all.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   

NavyDoc

Char-Lee

mikell

Actually, if she has not gotten a raise in 10 years, she is probably not the kind that is reliable and consistently on time or a good worker.

Raises are generally given yearly to every employee. if they are not giving her a raise i doubt the rest of the workers received raises.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   

If they don't have the gumption to come in on time and gain more skills to make themselves better and more valuable, do you honestly think they have the gumption to show up for the revolution?

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Char-Lee

NavyDoc

Char-Lee

mikell

Raises are generally given yearly to every employee. if they are not giving her a raise i doubt the rest of the workers received raises.

Or conversely, if she has not gotten a raise in ten years, she has not been qualifying for one like her colleagues have. Why automatically assume that she and her colleagues have been "kept down by the man" when it is just as likely (actually more likely) that she simply did not put in the time nor effort to earn a raise?

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Biigs
reply to post by Char-Lee

If you cannot provide for your children you are an irresponsible parent.

In the wild the weak family's and genes are filtered out. What we gain in general intelligence for survival, we lack the moral duty to make sure that we dont introduce another mouth where what is available is already spread thin, its become to easy to be greedy.

I actually agree with you but in practice it clearly is not going to work. Look at the people in Africa whose babies are starving, they still get pregnant and have another and watch it starve, there is no stopping us pitiful stupid humans from sex regardless of the costs.
My ex-husband had a vasectomy when we had two children my present husband had one also because we wanted no children nor could afford them. I wish more men would be so wise as they both were, a simple procedure for a guy and it changes nothing for them except they are no longer fertile and it is even reversible. Then there is no failing birth control problem, no unwanted child and life long child support and pain.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   

NavyDoc

Char-Lee

NavyDoc

Char-Lee

mikell

Or conversely, if she has not gotten a raise in ten years, she has not been qualifying for one like her colleagues have. Why automatically assume that she and her colleagues have been "kept down by the man" when it is just as likely (actually more likely) that she simply did not put in the time nor effort to earn a raise?

What you say as a business owner, makes no sense at all to me. I would not keep a bad worker 10 years. if a worker is loyal and good enough for me to keep 10 years they deserve a raise.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I have a friend who is a general manager at Mcdonalds ( I actually trained her when I worked there in high school Lol!)
She has told me that people like this girl wont even work full time as it will screw up their state assistance. She has a crap load of workers who monitor their hours closer then she does so they can still get paid by the state. She has tried promoting several people who where hard workers but they declined once the realized the hours and pay increase would take them off of the states nipple. This woman is probably just like that.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   
that's why they need to test for certain things for government assistance where a disability or elderly situation does not apply. I'm not even knocking certain things... but if you can buy them, you can buy food. If someone buys them for you.... ask them for food instead. If they refuse, then rethink your priorities because they are not a friend if they give you certain things but not food.

Do you realize how much money that alone would save on government benefits?
edit on 4201331PM10PM52p28America/Chicago by NotAnAspie because: (no reason given)

edit on 4201331PM10PM40p29America/Chicago by NotAnAspie because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join