It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McDonald’s worker arrested after telling company president she can’t afford shoes

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I did something similar when our "boss" told us they would have to withhold a day's pay from us to make their bills. By "boss" he was kind of the pr/paycheck guy among a group of 6 who co-owned the business so we were all equals in many ways. Catch was the boss was driving a brand new king cab pickup but his explanation for why we were short on cash was a bunch of bs and everyone knew it.
At the end he asked "any questions?".
My response "are we getting d*cked?".
It was fun to watch his face turn red and to see him squirm in front of everyone. Wouldn't you know I got fired after that for some other bogus reasons.
End of story was he was using company money for phone sex. 100's of thousands of $ of it. He went to prison for a little reeducation. I found another job.

Sometime you have to speak your mind.
Imagine how bad it would be if no one ever did.
Would they even bother to pay you or give you any benefits?
It took countless sacrifices of striking workers being beaten, jailed and killed to get any rights at all for workers. Coal miners,textile, steel and railroad workers bearing the brunt of it. Of course what industries have all but disappeared in the US? Don't wonder why.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Char-Lee
We do know she has kids, what woman with kids can afford the time to work a second job after her full day? I am not blindly defending anything except the right of a laborer to make a living wage. When did we start to think we can live with no one cleaning toilets and digging the ditches, every person is needed and as valuable as any other.

Probably the same time that I made being a single father with a second job...you speak as if it is impossible. Do we know she is a single mother? Just asking because it adds a different dynamic to the story if so.

Sometimes people can't take a promotion either when they pay babysitters or have other responsibilities (like my niece with a disabled child) because often it comes with increased hours, like our assistant managers at our restaurant who now have to close up and supervise things that may not let them leave at the time they used to before the promotion.

So because of their circumstances, the business should eat the costs by giving more money in way of wages for the same amount of work? I recognize that this is an impasse...

Even if you simply are not suited to more responsibilities then a basic job should you not be able to live off the work you do?

Sure but if your life choices has lead to you the only skills you have is to press a button on a screen that tells you how much to give back in change; why should people feel sorry? Why should they receive more money? Why should it be the business' responsibility or even the Government's?

Somewhere along the line, personal responsibility for the choices made, has to kick in. Society doesn't owe her anything and the business she works for sure as hell doesn't.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

There will always have to be someone working UNDER the people who own and run the business, should they make a living wage if they work full time?

You have made statements leading me to believe you own a restaurant. If you do, are you telling me that every full time employee you have is paid enough to afford their own place and "reasonable" living expenses?

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Working at McDonald requires some skill, Its annoying to see so many people # all over people who work there. When you are the only person working out back, cooking all the food, making all the sandwiches, cleaning everything, prepping food and whatnot... There is more skill required to work there than other places like a dishwasher, grocery clerk or bus driver. Having spent a year of my life working there I completely disagree that mentally handicapped people are capable of performing well there unless under strict supervision and around a bunch of other people who DO have the skills to perform the job. But in my experience, we were constantly understaffed and I sweated my ass off getting the food out in the required time while running back and forth inbetween orders to get all my tasks completed before the next order.

Now if you want to say McDonalds requires no skill compared to an engineer or doctor then yeah, obviously. But its not the kind of job someone who is lazy or handicapped will be able to do UNLESS they are babysat and theres plenty of other skilled employees to pick up the slack.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Asktheanimals
I did something similar when our "boss" told us they would have to withhold a day's pay from us to make their bills. By "boss" he was kind of the pr/paycheck guy among a group of 6 who co-owned the business so we were all equals in many ways. Catch was the boss was driving a brand new king cab pickup but his explanation for why we were short on cash was a bunch of bs and everyone knew it.

In my opinion it is completely different. You did exactly what you should have; questioned the person who is responsible for your wages. You didn't find the obscure partner that isn't involved in the payroll decisions to make your stand. That is the largest difference between your story and hers.

Now if you went to a trade convention with big-wigs from your industry and demanded them to pay you more, I would say you are in the same boat. That you didn't do.

Sometime you have to speak your mind.
Imagine how bad it would be if no one ever did.
Would they even bother to pay you or give you any benefits?

The argument isn't about speaking your mind. And yes, there were jobs that wanted high quality workers so the perks were involved regardless of the absence of any forced Government mandate...

It took countless sacrifices of striking workers being beaten, jailed and killed to get any rights at all for workers. Coal miners,textile, steel and railroad workers bearing the brunt of it. Of course what industries have all but disappeared in the US? Don't wonder why.

Again, such was offered prior to striking workers and Unions. Not that the unions were bad; they just have become that which they have vehemently fought in the past.

You have points in here that are for a different thread and a different time that I completely disagree with.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   

ownbestenemy

PhoenixOD
I thought the the wages of MacDonald's workers were set by the franchise owners?

Shush you! This is a good ol' fashion 'corporate bashing party'!

As it should be in this case. Franchises have most things dictated to them verbatim for their standard operating procedures. In fact, they get inspected for it and reviewed: if the franchise owners don't follow along to a T they can be fined, penalized or even lose their franchise.

Why should this be any different?

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   

DenyObfuscation

There will always have to be someone working UNDER the people who own and run the business, should they make a living wage if they work full time?

You have made statements leading me to believe you own a restaurant. If you do, are you telling me that every full time employee you have is paid enough to afford their own place and "reasonable" living expenses?

Yes they are... but that leaves us unable to have but 4 full time employees and many are not only part time but seasonal.

Me and my husband brought home only 18,000 this year because we made sure that all the others were paid a living wage, the one who does the lion's share of management makes more a month then my husband. If the taxes were not so huge and mandatory amounts charged for what used to be voluntary tips, if we were not charged taxes on money before we even make it, and were recently charged 300$ fine for having the prepaid taxes late by one day...MAYBE people could help more families make a reasonable living!

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Commendable but what if one of your employees stated that their "living wage" was not enough as they decided to have twins? That they would need at least a 5% wage increase to make it happen and that they are already months into their fertility treatments?

While your style is commendable and applauded, where do you stop when your employees keep asking for what they believe to be a "living wage"? Or is it you that defines a "living wage"?
edit on 9-10-2013 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   

tehdouglas
Working at McDonald requires some skill

I worked at Burger King once... for about a week. I don't know if McDreck is the same but,... they had PHOTOS, just pictures, of how to assemble the burger, so that illiterate people could do it. What KIND of skill does it require? Skill and tedious, back breaking labour are not the same thing.Skill is working garde manger to prepare we baked brie and arugula salad takes SOME skill, preparing creme brulee requires a little, but not tons.

Making forged knife blades from a chunk of high carbon steel and nickle-iron Damascus into a well tempered tool, now THAT takes skill. Assembling a fish filet with too much sauce, hastily wrapping it and hucking it into a paper sack onto a pile of spilled, luke-warm over-salted fries, takes:

NO SKILL!

I'm sorry it was so difficult for you but I respectfully disagree.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   

ownbestenemy

PhoenixOD
I thought the the wages of MacDonald's workers were set by the franchise owners?

Yeah 9 out of ten of the comments in this thread make no sense at all when you realize anyone above the individual franchise owners dont set the amount of money an employee gets paid pr hour.

But hey ill join in with the mindless hating...down with the evil corporations, how dare they sell the rights to use their name and product to people who can then choose to pay their workers badly!!

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   

seaez

ownbestenemy

PhoenixOD

As it should be in this case. Franchises have most things dictated to them verbatim for their standard operating procedures. In fact, they get inspected for it and reviewed: if the franchise owners don't follow along to a T they can be fined, penalized or even lose their franchise.

Pay structure is most likely not one of them...Standards in quality, dress, basic functions, etc; yes. Day-to-day operations not so much.

Find me a franchise owner who was denied the ability to pay their employees what they thought they were worth....that is their job as it is related to the O&M of that specific franchise; not the corporation.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Sure but if your life choices has lead to you the only skills you have is to press a button on a screen that tells you how much to give back in change; why should people feel sorry? Why should they receive more money? Why should it be the business' responsibility or even the Government's?

Do we need someone to push that button? If we need that person to do that job as much as we need a person for every other job...should that job when you are there and show up and put in your work full time not make you a living?

I never stated anyone should feel sorry for anyone simply have respect for every persons job..it IS a job it IS a necessary part of that business. We need every person doing their job to make things run. They are all important and should all be able to make a living on full time work.

You can't have all Chiefs and no indians yet each is as important in their part. Some are mentally or physically more, or only, capable of some positions. they are still just as necessary.

My Stepfather was really smart, he whizzed through school graduated early as a Dr of Psychology, and yet he could not change a tire when we were stranded, he could not even check his own oil. He was in awe of my (ex) husband with a 3rd grade education who could build things and fix engines or anything even though he could barely read.
At the time of my divorce my ex and I were bringing in well over a million a year heavy construction business...Do you see what i am saying?
edit on 9-10-2013 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   

ownbestenemy

Commendable but what if one of your employees stated that their "living wage" was not enough as they decided to have twins? That they would need at least a 5% wage increase to make it happen and that they are already months into their fertility treatments?

While your style is commendable and applauded, where do you stop when your employees keep asking for what they believe to be a "living wage"? Or is it you that defines a "living wage"?
edit on 9-10-2013 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

Our country never based wages on how many children you chose to have, but we used to have an idea of what a living wage meant. This is not about my ideas or the employees ideas it is about our country. The way things are set up now most companies will not even choose to hire full time because of the way we are taxed.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   

I do but you ignored the questions presented to your claims of providing a living wage. I commend your ability to do so; it is noble and if you feel your employees deserve the wages you provide for the work that they do, then that is your right and responsibility as a business owner.

My main point was this woman is going for the wrong person and it will get her nowhere -- which is beginning to sound as if she was massaged into being the 'patsy'. Unless the restaurant she works at is directly owned by the corporation, she is just making an ass of herself for a political cause that doesn't care (in my view) about her situation. She is being used a political fodder in my opinion.

My overall opinion still stands. 10 years on the job with major life changes and only riding the minimum wage curve? Sorry darlin, that isn't ambition or drive; that is accepting where you are at and then complaining about it when you realize that it isn't enough.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   

ownbestenemy

seaez

ownbestenemy

PhoenixOD

Pay structure is most likely not one of them...Standards in quality, dress, basic functions, etc; yes. Day-to-day operations not so much.

Find me a franchise owner who was denied the ability to pay their employees what they thought they were worth....that is their job as it is related to the O&M of that specific franchise; not the corporation.

That's my point, you skated around it above in the bold section. With all these other standards set for reasons of "quality" or whatever positive reasons the corporations set, why stop there and not set more positive standards for pay, longevity, etc. Greed. Big bad corporate greed.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Char-Lee
Our country never based wages on how many children you chose to have, but we used to have an idea of what a living wage meant. This is not about my ideas or the employees ideas it is about our country. The way things are set up now most companies will not even choose to hire full time because of the way we are taxed.

Our country...our country (read: Government) has never been so involved with being central to private business as it is now; to that I believe we can agree.

I think we are finding common ground here but not sure. If the Government told you that you have to pay your employees X amount, when you have been paying them Y, do you think that that is what our Country is about?

You are in business for you (and while you may have altruistic practices; your goal is to stay in business no?) and that the amount that the Government has dictated is above what you have determined to be a fair wage given the amount of labor and skill involved is beyond what you are willing to pay or what you can afford to pay, do you still think that is right?

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   

seaez
That's my point, you skated around it above in the bold section. With all these other standards set for reasons of "quality" or whatever positive reasons the corporations set, why stop there and not set more positive standards for pay, longevity, etc. Greed. Big bad corporate greed.

Then you have no understanding of what a franchise is. You are paying for the name, for the quality it brings and for the basic standards involved. There are most likely franchises out there that dictate basic pay, but for the most part, that aspect of business is left to the actual business owner; not the corporate identity being used for a fee.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   

ownbestenemy

seaez

Then you have no understanding of what a franchise is. You are paying for the name, for the quality it brings and for the basic standards involved. There are most likely franchises out there that dictate basic pay, but for the most part, that aspect of business is left to the actual business owner; not the corporate identity being used for a fee.

There are franchises out there that dictate basic pay, raises etc. So you do get my point! Excellent, McD's could be one of those franchises!

Couldn't it? It could right?

That's my point, in response to your silly assertion that everyone who's commented on this thread in regards to "the corporation" is ignorant and just big bad corporation bashing. You are now more enlightened to the fact that this isn't just big bad corporation bashing because the suit who was talking isn't the "owner", and in fact those on this thread expressing their disgust at McDs aren't ignorant for their distaste.

You are welcome, carry on accordingly.

Deny ignorance.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   

seaez
There are franchises out there that dictate basic pay, raises etc. So you do get my point! Excellent, McD's could be one of those franchises!

Couldn't it? It could right?

Could and you are operating on the assumption that is; whereas I am not. I am not defending nor condoning.

...in response to your silly assertion that everyone who's commented on this thread in regards to "the corporation" is ignorant and just big bad corporation bashing.

That was to a specific poster; not blanket as evident in the response. Sure I intended it to be for everyone, but it wasn't silly at all. People are responding to their corporate hate; not the actual problem at hand or even the situation at hand. It is a "McDonalds is bad!" thread. I get that.

You are now more enlightened to the fact that this isn't just big bad corporation bashing because the suit who was talking isn't the "owner", and in fact those on this thread expressing their disgust at McDs aren't ignorant for their distaste.

You are welcome, carry on accordingly.

Deny ignorance.

Did you know that many animals will present themselves larger than what they are to ward off a potential predator (their demise) but in actuality, they would never win in a one on one battle. That last part I quoted from you? That is what I am equating it to unless you didn't get that.

So carry on accordingly....deny ignorance indeed.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

OP you are an ignorant, middle class, republican white man who makes $50k or more a year. Stop me when I am wrong. Because how many days in her shoes have you walked? And how many days at her job have you worked that you can say it requires zero work? You might think its people like this woman that degrade our society, but take a good look in the mirror, it is the opposite. That's all I will say about this because I cannot read these kinds of threads and see such ignorant people make these comments with no clue.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join