It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientist says new research proves 'dogs are people too'

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
You mean to tell me that animals that have central nervous systems have many of the same characteristics?

Blasphemy! Ridiculous! Silly!

Oh wait... it actually makes perfect sense.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Serdgiam

HEY SERDG!!! Long time no see.

You are right. Dogs are people. (Actually, they're MORE personable than most people!)

No bout a doubt it.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Hey there wild!

And yeah.. I mean, I guess you could argue it in a square/rectangle way where people are animals but animals are not people. But I think that is pushing it considering we struggle to even understand the differences in our own species individual perspectives (not that too many are even trying THAT).

I love the comparisons to children of certain ages as well.. I dont think "IQ" tests can correlate between species. Its a bit silly. Heck, I think intelligence tests even within just our species are lacking severely (I score "very high" on standard IQ tests, but I sure can be as dumb as a box of rocks sometimes).

I do frequently wonder "what the world looks like" to a physical body that perceives scents so strongly though. Even given our weaker sense of smell, it is one of our most interesting senses. After training SAR dogs, I think their brain might translate smells into some type of direct visual much like scents can bring up long "forgotten" memories/images for us.

Love this, btw-->

wildtimes
No bout a doubt it.

Dunno why I think thats so awesome, but I guess Im weird like that.

edit on 9-10-2013 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
So basically they have proved that a dog has a brain. I see little more to it than that. Is this finding actually not a monsterous waste of money and resources.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Remember when Texas included pets in protective orders? Legal codification of custom, morals into formal protection was a huge step in attitude adjustment toward other-than-human Terrans. I'm a native Texan and would have thought we would have been the last State to take that issue up, but go figure. Expect the unexpected down here. (BTW, link on process of law www.writework.com...)

blog.mysanantonio.com...

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
LOL - Dogs are not people.

They are basically De-evolved Wolves so if the theory is correct then wolves are people too. Now I know quite a few people that could be classified as Dogs and or Wolves, but not the other way around.

This sounds like something Cass Sunstein cooked up. I think it was him that said Dogs should have the right to sue people or some such nonsense.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   

k3d59
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Remember when Texas included pets in protective orders? Legal codification of custom, morals into formal protection was a huge step in attitude adjustment toward other-than-human Terrans. I'm a native Texan and would have thought we would have been the last State to take that issue up, but go figure. Expect the unexpected down here. (BTW, link on process of law www.writework.com...)

blog.mysanantonio.com...

Remember: our laws are generally written/voted on in a city that makes San Francisco look somewhat mild. Austin is quite forward thinking.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

Get you a bigger spleen, and you too can run 12 miles.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
My dog is a 3 year old in a dog suit.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Nice, positive thread. Thank you. OK, what about cats? Pussy's are people too!

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by fishy6

Can you explain the term "devolved" for me, please?

Bigfatfurrytexan,

Oh, I can run 12 miles no problem. Problem is that I don't think there is an animal on the planet other than the wolf that can run 12 miles at a sprint.
That is astonishing to me. Every bit equal to a cheetah achieving 80mph in a short burst.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
What kind of mickey mouse garbage is this? Number two most popular thread on ATS? Doesn't speak well of the membership, thats for sure...unless we have lots of bored progressive women here with nothing better to do.

And science has become a complete joke. "Dogs are humans too". I say "humans are dogs" too. Just because they have two legs instead of four doesn't mean much. The two legged animals are the most dangerous of all if they lack ethics and morals.

I couldn't care less if the mods delete this post and I bet they will.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Ok, this is off-topic, but want to share. (second white Russian, haha!) I have chickens-12 of them. I'm past the point of handling them much anymore so this group is not extremely domesticated. So I've noticed over the last week that one chicken is being picked on a lot. When I've gone in the coop to feed, it has run to me a couple of times, and other times it sits perched on a ladder and looks into my eyes, like, help me!

Today I go in, in the morning, and it's bleeding bad. I thought it was dead, but then while feeding, it runs out between my legs and sits down between my legs. I pick it up and it looks right at me and does not fight me at all.

I tell ya, it may be a dumb chicken, but all animals have a soul.

( I separated it in it's own pen, and it drank for minutes. I felt so bad).

I'm a sucker for all animals, what can I say.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

That IS strange.

For quite a long time I have been thinking about this. How is it my dog so often is able to preempt my actions? I mean, as in, sensing a second or so before I act.

Is it possible that she is able to intuit via my facial expression what I am about to do? If that's case, that goes to show how psychologically entangled a dogs social experience is to a human beings. For it to be able to automatically read facial expressions and anticipate action as quickly and efficiently as it does, that indicates a profound level of connection between man and his canine best friend.

As for "psychic". What I just mentioned is an alternative explanation. Most people take for granted that when we think something, it shows up on our face. It is an unconscious habit of ours; we wear our feelings on our faces. If a dogs social awareness and ability to anticipate human action before it occurs has any leading explanation, it is one which takes into account the neuroceptive process of facial reading. Humans do it just like animals do. We respond unconsciously to other peoples faces without even recognizing that were doing it: our bodies do it via the vagus nerve bundle. An angry face will cause an automatic tensing (in most unaware people) of the muscles, increased heart rate and increased breathing. Alternatively, a kind and sensitive smile will cause a relaxation of the muscles, lowering of the heart rate to a more stable pulse, and slow and deep breathing.

This of course does not discount the coexistence of a mental or psychic energy which is entangled in this physiological process; with the automatic physiological reading of facial expression would come a specific energy wave/force that helps form the insight. A dog's acuity at sensing human facial patterns is not conscious: it is automatic, unconscious, and instinctual. A dog is energetically attuned to his master, loyal to his word. This makes him/her extremely sensitive to the slightest changes in his masters intentions as displayed on his face (dogs are always watching our eyes, looking at our faces)

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   

EarthCitizen07
What kind of mickey mouse garbage is this? Number two most popular thread on ATS? Doesn't speak well of the membership, thats for sure...unless we have lots of bored progressive women here with nothing better to do.

And science has become a complete joke. "Dogs are humans too". I say "humans are dogs" too. Just because they have two legs instead of four doesn't mean much. The two legged animals are the most dangerous of all if they lack ethics and morals.

ATS does seem to be lacking in the meaty content these last couple years, or it's watered down or late to the punch. Sadly I go other places for the most up to date info. But I do like the considerate format here, and I like my familiar voices here.

On topic: love dogs and they are human!

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

I love dogs and cats too. I used to have a dog but gave him up when I moved. Now I have plenty of cats that take care of snakes and mice, and are less of a hassle. In other words they are more self-reliant than dogs.

Humans are the wretched animals that lack empathy and compassion. I never once felt betrayed by any pet, but by humans plenty of times.
edit on 9/10/13 by EarthCitizen07 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

The title isn't "dogs are human". Its "dogs are people". Folks. They have social and emotional bonds to their owners. As their owners tend to do in return.

I think you are not understanding what is being said. And you are substituting unequal words to further your confusion.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   

EarthCitizen07

Oh, look....we have a free speech martyr

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan

The title isn't "dogs are human". Its "dogs are people". Folks. They have social and emotional bonds to their owners. As their owners tend to do in return.

I think you are not understanding what is being said. And you are substituting unequal words to further your confusion.

No the title of thread seemed silly and dumb, and further there are not many comparisons between dogs and people. What difference does people versus humans make to you? Nonsense.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   

EarthCitizen07

bigfatfurrytexan

No the title of thread seemed silly and dumb, and further there are not many comparisons between dogs and people. What difference does people versus humans make to you? Nonsense.

English does not appear to be your first/primary language. So it may be you are missing a subtle difference in the meaning of the word "people" when used in this context.

A common saying in the parts of America I have lived in during my life would be, "He just thinks he folks, too", sometimes substituting "people" in other variations on that theme. "People", or "folks" is a bit of hyperbole here. It is referencing a bit of sarcasm in noting how the dog is exhibiting a human like behavior that is somewhat unexpected (like a dog sitting in an empty chair at the dinner table during supper, without ever being coached to do so).

It is making note of their ability to form deep and meaningful social and emotional relationships with their owners/families.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join