It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yellowstone Just Lit Up Again With a New Swarm- happening now

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Well, sporadic, small activity has started again- and I think near the same area. Seen another 10 events or so in the last hours. So it might not be over. Dunno. We'll see, once they post them tomorrow. Or Monday. Or Tuesday... Or...

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Also once a 7.6 earthquake hits Northern California...a magnitude 10 is coming from off the Coast with one heck of a wave. Wish me luck in the tube bro!

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Huh. New activity now incoming, and of higher magnitude...Damn that's scary to look at on my rig.

Those are in the 2.5 region peaks, but there are lots of them... Yikes. Hold on folks, this ain't over yet it seems...

You can start to see them coming here at YMR:
www.quake.utah.edu...
edit on Sun Sep 15th 2013 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

Or here:
www.isthisthingon.org...

Keep refreshing the page, as it is going to take some minutes for you to see more.

Hah. USGS reporting that top peak mag at 3.4, and just one quake. NOT. This is a rapid fire, moderate swarm. They'll post more later.

Now what's curious is they are placing that in the Lower Geyser Basin- and previously, the swarm there had not reached 3 mag. So the swarm there is now increasing in peak magnitudes with that 3.4. They go any higher, and this could be magma, not hydrothermal.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Likely not so coincidentally, Steamboat Geyser in the Norris Basin erupted in Late July for the first time in 8 years. It's the world's tallest currently active geyser.
When I saw the news that it went off, that was my first thought - Magma's moving...

edit on 15-9-2013 by sageturkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Thanks again for keeping us updated and linking us to the seismographs.

What caught my eye this morning was the 3.4 .. how many total has ole faithful had so far today?

Also noticed the New Madrid is actively shaking this morning. Now, that is really close to home for me here in the good ole state of Tennessee.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by sageturkey

Shouldn't we see tremors if magma is moving? those quakes seem tectonic in nature.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by earthling42

Typically yes, tremors are associated with Magma Movement. I was basing my assumptions on the fact that the groundwater under Steamboat Geyser was being heated enough to produce an eruption. Hence, the source of the heating had to be closer. It may not be "moving", but the chamber is most likely "filling"?
All totally un-scientific assumptions, I'm just looking at cause and effect.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
why is the lower blue line on lake yellowstone bending?

www.isthisthingon.org...

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ressiv

Ok so what's going on right now is tremor - right guys? Fuzzy Caterpillars...
Here's the direct link to the webicorder, it's a little clearer.
www.quake.utah.edu...
edit on 15-9-2013 by sageturkey because: Add

edit on 15-9-2013 by sageturkey because: Add More

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   

We should be seeing this i think

www.jonfr.com...

During the eruption it looked like this

es.noticias.yahoo.com...

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I personally don't know a whole lot about volcanoes or earthquakes, but am fascinated by them. I have read a lot about earthquakes lately and volcanoes. Are they increasing in frequency around the world or just being reported more often? Also please keep up the updates on this, thank you so much for the information.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by earthling42

Jonfr link coming back 'access forbidden' but the El Hierro one is working. Yeah thank goodness it doesn't look like that, I'd be packing up the truck! I'm still seeing a steady rumble on the webicorder though... It's got me pacing around the apartment mumbling "fuzzy caterpillars"

edit on 15-9-2013 by sageturkey because: SP

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Do I trust them? Yes.

...waiting for the scientists to make up their minds whether they should raise the alert level and potentially risk millions of dollars in tourism- when all of a sudden- KAPOW.

See this right here is where my lack of faith in officialdom is sourced.

I'll accede to your trust in those whom you are in contact with, but their bosses and higher up, nah...

Those caterpillars are likely wind.
edit on 15-9-2013 by jadedANDcynical because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
The magnitudes are getting larger. Check out the latest quake on PB.206.EHZ

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

With your experience reading these things, what mag would that be do you think? 4 - 5?

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by whatnext21

Just a guess, maybe Mag 3.8 to 4.1?

ETA: I was too high. USGS says Mag 3.6 Ml
edit on 9/15/2013 by Olivine because: correction

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

WOW

Don't like it, don't like it one bit...

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   

How close are you to this beast and do you feel any of this shaking? Does geyser activity pick up when these tremors occur and is there any notable difference to indicate activity below, or is it mainly ground acceleration that happens?

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
was an 3.6

3.6 10km N of Old Faithful Geyser, Wyoming2013-09-15 17:53:02 UTC+02:0010.6 km

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   

ressiv
was an 3.6

3.6 10km N of Old Faithful Geyser, Wyoming2013-09-15 17:53:02 UTC+02:0010.6 km

Seen that Signature pop up on GEE at station maple creek... 3.6 is biggest this swarm no? im glad no work till tomorrow, get to sit around all day and hang out on ats and watch yellowstone flirt with humanity for a bit.... looks as though most of the action is in the western part of the park...
yellowstone thumbnails

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join