It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yellowstone Just Lit Up Again With a New Swarm- happening now

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Hey everyone. Just saw the latest swarm which looks like it included a 3.6!!! This happened overnight and seams to have quieted down for the moment. I would also like to let everyone know about a very cool website that I discovered a couple of days ago. It is called 'Broadcastify'. It is a site where you can listen to live police,Fire,EMS, and other emergency channels from all over the U.S simply pick the state, then county where you want to listen in. It would be a great way to hear if anything is happening in your home town or anywhere else. I have just set mine to the Park County in Wyoming to see if I hear of any earthquake reports. F.Y.I The larger cities are constantly busy with accidents fires assaults robberies,etc really fun to listen to. Careful,,, It is addicting.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by curiousme333

Give us a link curious.

Please!

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   

whatnext21
reply to post by sageturkey

Here is a Webcam i pulled up to watch the activity

Can't believe all the people just walking around with that behemoth under their feet.

So what's with white-looking ground in the live feed? I know there isn't any snow. Is the just the video feed???

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Psychoparrot

Not sure how to post the link. Help??

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Mineral deposits?
That's all I can think of.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

According to the Norris Basin Tour found Here,
the White is a mineral called siliceous sinter or Geyserite.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Ok, Hope this will workhttp;www.braodcastify.com

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Damn!! sorry it should bewww.broadcastify.com

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
The YVO has sent out this notice:

YELLOWSTONE VOLCANO OBSERVATORY INFORMATION STATEMENT
Sunday, September 15, 2013 12:00 PM MDT (Sunday, September 15, 2013 18:00 UTC)

YELLOWSTONE VOLCANO (CAVW #1205-01-)
N4425 W11040, Summit Elevation 9203 ft (2805 m)
Current Volcano Alert Level: NORMAL
Current Aviation Color Code: GREEN

The University of Utah, a YVO member agency, has sent out the following press release about a magnitude 3.6 earthquake that occurred amid three ongoing earthquake swarms in Yellowstone National Park.

The current earthquake swarms are well within established norms for the Yellowstone region and the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory has determined that they present no volcanic hazard.

Press Release

University of Utah Seismograph Stations

Released: September 15, 2013 11:07 AM MDT

The University of Utah Seismograph Stations reports that a light
earthquake of magnitude 3.6 occurred at 09:53:02 AM on September 15,
2013 (MDT) that was felt by persons in Yellowstone. The epicenter of
the shock was located in Yellowstone National Park near the Lower
Geyser Basin area, 8 miles north of Old Faithful, and 15 miles SE of
the town of West Yellowstone, Montana. This earthquake is the largest
of an ongoing sequence of swarms that began on September 10, 2013 and
has included swarms near Lewis Lake, the Lower Geyser Basin and in an
area NW of Norris Geyser Basin. A total of 130 earthquakes of
magnitude 0.6 to 3.6 have occurred in these three areas however, most
have occurred near the Lower Geyser Basin. Notably much of the
seismicity in Yellowstone occurs as swarms. The University of Utah
Seismograph Stations continues to monitor Yellowstone earthquakes and
will provide additional information if the earthquake swarm activity
increases. Anyone who felt any of these earthquakes is encouraged to
fill out a felt report on the U.S. Geological Survey website at:
earthquake.usgs.gov...

The Yellowstone Volcano Observatory (YVO) provides long-term monitoring of volcanic and earthquake activity in the Yellowstone National Park region. Yellowstone is the site of the largest and most diverse collection of natural thermal features in the world and the first National Park. YVO is one of the five USGS Volcano Observatories that monitor volcanoes within the United States for science and public safety.

YVO Member agencies: USGS, Yellowstone National Park, University of Utah, University of Wyoming, UNAVCO, Inc., Wyoming State Geological Survey, Montana Bureau of Mines and Geology, Idaho Geological Survey

I was asleep AGAIN when that 3.6 occurred.
(Why does the puzzle icon look like a mad face???? *shakes head*- seeing as they took my favorite shake head smiley away.)

ETA: and oh, I think the large squigglies you saw might have been a tele from the 6+ Aleutian quake that happened.
edit on Sun Sep 15th 2013 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I had a dream there were all these volcanoes and fires going off in California and I was walking with hundreds of thousands of people and there were all these Chinese jeeps full of soldiers. The soldiers were never interacting with us just basically at higher vantage points herding us through these land corridors. It was much more of a lucid dream than most. One I won't forget anytime soon.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 06:19 AM
link   

cheesy
after Long valley Now Yellowstone?? have you check Toba Lake too ?? Creazy day...

theres nothing "creazy" about it.

it been happen since i dont know.
but im pretty sure it always happen and people get scared.
and at the end it always nothing.

something will happen for sure.
but like this.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
It is probably just a coincidence that both Yellowstone and Long Valley are having earthquake swarms............... (yes i'm being sarcastic)

What really spooks me though is that a good portion of the USA does not even know what a supervolcano is even though we are sitting on at least three of them. Can you imagine if they actually taught us in grade school what a supervolcano is and what it means? Maybe you were taught about them but I had to find out for myself what a supervolcano is.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   

ImagineFree
It is probably just a coincidence that both Yellowstone and Long Valley are having earthquake swarms............... (yes i'm being sarcastic)

What really spooks me though is that a good portion of the USA does not even know what a supervolcano is even though we are sitting on at least three of them. Can you imagine if they actually taught us in grade school what a supervolcano is and what it means? Maybe you were taught about them but I had to find out for myself what a supervolcano is.

I have learned nothing about volcanos in school. In highschool it was just mentioned sometimes, but never ever learned about them.
This seems to be something parents teach the kids.
At least my parents taught me when I was really young. I saw lava somewhere on the news as a child and my parents taught me then. (also we live in western Germany and have the Eifel region)
Everybody I know knows what volcanos are, but they all learned it in young age by their parents.
In school the just assume you know it (I am pretty sure 99% know at that time what it is).
But supervolcanos I just stumbled upon on the net some years ago.
Nobody every mentioned it to me before.
Now I see documentations on TV sometimes.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by aLLeKs

The only time I remember learning about volcanoes was when I learned about Pompei in history class. My oldest son is turning 9 this year, and since I watch a lot of destruction type shows, he enjoys watching them with me. I have talked to him about earthquakes, volcanoes, super volcanoes and tsunamis. Also because in his 9 years, there have been major earthquakes, tsunamis, and the volcano that went off disrupting the air travel for Europe a couple years ago. I've also done my best to teach him and my daughter about major storms and thankfully (living in south east MA) we didn't get hit that bad in our area by super storm Sandy last year, but it helped them understand how violent nature can be and why it's so important to try and be as ready as possible when an event like that happens.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by aLLeKs

So you have heard of the Laacher Sea?

There is a sleeping super volcano in Europe, and it isn't in Italy (a country famous for its eruptions). This giant is located under the Laacher See, a caldera lake in Germany, and it is showing signs of life. Should it erupt, it could spew billions of tons of magma as far as 620 square miles. Update inside.

and Yellowstone is not the only one in US, There is the Long Valley, Island Park and a relatively unknown La Garita Caldera one of the biggest eruptions in history.

La Garita Caldera is a large volcanic caldera located in the San Juan volcanic field in the San Juan Mountains in southwestern Colorado, United States, to the west of the town of La Garita, Colorado. The eruption that created the La Garita Caldera was, perhaps, the largest known explosive eruption in all of Earth's history (the Siberian Traps may have been larger but the cause is still being debated). The La Garita Caldera is one of a number of calderas that formed during a massive ignimbrite flare-up in Colorado, Utah and Nevada from 40–25 million years ago, and was the site of truly enormous eruptions about 28–26 million years ago, during the Oligocene Epoch. The area devastated by the La Garita eruption is thought to have covered a significant portion of what is now Colorado, and ash could have fallen as far as the east coast of North America and the Caribbean.

The scale of La Garita volcanism was far beyond anything known in human history. The resulting deposit, known as the Fish Canyon Tuff, has a volume of approximately 1,200 cubic miles (5,000 km3), enough material to fill Lake Michigan (in comparison, the May 18, 1980 eruption of Mt. St. Helens was only 0.25 cubic miles (1.0 km3) in volume). By contrast, the most powerful human-made explosive device ever detonated, the Tsar Bomba or Emperor Bomb, had a yield of 50 megatons, whereas the eruption at La Garita was approximately 105 times more powerful. It is possibly the most energetic event on Earth since the Chicxulub impact, which was 50 times more powerful.

RSOE

Watch for activity in this area, I wonder if all of these calderas are connected in any way?

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

And you tell me I should get out of Quake Watch more often?

Hardly anything to be shouting about is it TA? And there is a thread for minor events at Yellowstone

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by whatnext21

Laacher Sea can't produce a supereruption so I would suggest we avoid calling it a Super Volcano. Except if you talk about the place itself who's a nice vacantion spot and could be called Super and Beautifull.

Super Eruption -> VEI 8 -> volcano ejects 1 000 + km3 of tephra.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Well first of all, I didn't shout. See any ALL CAPS anywhere? No. I merely posted an incoming swarm event. If people want to flag it to the front page, well then don't hold me responsible.

Second of all, they are just now starting to backfill all the quakes in that swarm, so your data is erroneous. There is a LOT more that happened. Seeing that swarm come in on spectro IS worth shouting over, cause it looks way different than what any of you see- except maybe you- if you were to pull the raw data and view it that way. Cause then you'd see just how many rapid fire quakes happened, one after the other. It IS scary looking- especially when I can compare it to raw data spectrograph plots I have of the Okmok eruption, for example. But even then- I never shouted.

So cool it, grumpy.

edit on Tue Sep 17th 2013 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   

TrueAmerican
reply to post by PuterMan

Well first of all, I didn't shout. See any ALL CAPS anywhere? No. I merely posted an incoming swarm event. If people want to flag it to the front page, well then don't hold me responsible.

Don't be so touchy TA. You call me grumpy (OK yes I am but) I did not mean literally shouting. I also never made ANY comment about flags since they are basically pretty meaningless.

Second of all, they are just now starting to backfill all the quakes in that swarm, so your data is erroneous. There is a LOT more that happened. Seeing that swarm come in on spectro IS worth shouting over, cause it looks way different than what any of you see- except maybe you- if you were to pull the raw data and view it that way. Cause then you'd see just how many rapid fire quakes happened, one after the other. It IS scary looking- especially when I can compare it to raw data spectrograph plots I have of the Okmok eruption, for example. But even then- I never shouted.

So cool it, grumpy.

Yes but they must be very tiny as the quakes of 1.0+ have not changed

So should I say something to you Touchy? Yes indeed. The swarm is perfectly normal.

The time series plot of the last 7 days in my opinion shows nothing that would cause me alarm

Click for larger image. (Demeaned and bandpass filtered 0.01 Hz to 1.0 Hz)

If we take the section that covers the day with the most quakes we get

Yes indeed there are a load of small microquakes in there, but I personally don't find them scary and I don't consider them particularly noteworthy so I guess we will just have to differ on that.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, and your alarm, however I will pull a spectrogram on it later.

Signed: Grumpy

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Nidwin
reply to post by whatnext21

Laacher Sea can't produce a supereruption so I would suggest we avoid calling it a Super Volcano. Except if you talk about the place itself who's a nice vacantion spot and could be called Super and Beautifull.

Super Eruption -> VEI 8 -> volcano ejects 1 000 + km3 of tephra.

Laacher See could produce VEI 7 eruption. Even when its not classified as Supervolcano, it could easily cause devastating eruption and nuclear winter. Its Supervolcano for me. Good it will likely stay dormant for a long time.

BTW, Yellowstone is shaking again

edit on 17-9-2013 by Thebel because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join