It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yellowstone Just Lit Up Again With a New Swarm- happening now

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by whatnext21

I'm 266 miles S-SE and no, nothing felt here. Increased geyser activity would indicate magma closer to the surface, but I can't say whether that's present or not. Other than the Steamboat Geyser waking up a few months ago...

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Yellowstone movin a bit hey?
that hotspot was the reason i joined ATS in the first place

I will be surprised if anything comes from this,.
but then again,. who knows (conspiracy hat on) Could be why
October 1st is a big concern with the DHS..and why supposedly the
FEMA has sent lots of supplies to the eastern side of the country
as of late. Maybe shes gonna blow? (hat off).

we have all seen Yellowstone do this and quiet down.. lets hope it is
just an adjustment.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by sageturkey

Here is a Webcam i pulled up to watch the activity

Can't believe all the people just walking around with that behemoth under their feet.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
They probably do not even feel it, it is not really unusual activity for Yellowstone to have minor quakes.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by whatnext21

Yeah, I wonder if they can feel the rumbling too...
Do we still think that we're seeing wind on the webicorder jaded? I'm inclined to think otherwise...
While I agree that minor eq's are a norm at Yellowstone, this isn't exactly normal - as I stated before, not normal unless you take into account that these types of swarms have occurred in the past. I would say that this activity is definitely the most that we've seen since the '98 swarm which gave birth to the infamous "What's going on at Yellowstone" thread. Definitely worth watching IMHO...

ETA: Well, I got my answer from the one person that I would trust the most to give me intelligent and informed observation. Not knocking anyone elses commentary at all, but when PM says something, people listen... He's the Merril Lynch of the EQ scene

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 15-9-2013 by sageturkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   

If you look at the graphs of the days before at YMR you will see the same rumbling.
It is probably trafic during daytime hours

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   

whatnext21

Here is a Webcam i pulled up to watch the activity

Can't believe all the people just walking around with that behemoth under their feet.

I agree with that. I had a dream about that very thing (reading too much about it). How people were going about their business and right beneath their feet the magma - on the verge of releasing itself. It's like the frog in boiling water. The fact that a geiser reawakened a few months ago bothers me. Always err on the side of "it's probably nothing...will go sometime in the future but not today" because it is such an unknown.

I personally want to believe we would have a warning - harmonic tremors and all of that. But this isn't Mt St. Helens. This is a super volcano, which means we do not know what signs it would give. The magma isn't deep like at Mt St. Helens. It's already close to the surface So what would be the need for harmonic tremors before an eruption?

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by earthling42

I do see that daily beginning at about 6AM. That makes sense...

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

there are just no data availible for an supervolcano eruption...all options for such an event are open

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Where's Phage when you need his expert comment on?

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
It seems that back in 2010 the swarm there reached a mag 3.7 and 3.8 and was felt in different communities which makes me wonder if the site see'ers noticed any trembling beneath their feet the last two day. Can you imagine hanging out and feeling tremors? hahaha. That would be a little freaky for me.

The largest events were a pair of earthquakes of magnitude 3.7 and 3.8 that occurred after 11 PM MST on January 20, 2010. Both events were felt throughout the park and in surrounding communities in Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho.
volcanoes.usgs.gov...

They say swarms are the norm... but is it really?

Nevertheless, swarms are common at Yellowstone, with 100s to 1000s of events, some of which can reach magnitudes greater than 4.0. There were about 900 earthquakes during the December 2008 - January 2009 Yellowstone Lake swarm. The largest earthquake was a magnitude 3.9. The 1985 swarm, also on the northwest rim of the caldera but several miles from the current swarm, lasted for three months. During the 1985 swarm there were over 3000 total events recorded, with magnitudes ranging up to M4.9.

Maybe what we have been noticing is normal but the normal could be an extremely slow process of a major event?? Maybe that's just my conspiracy minded thoughts.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Menedes567

Ha! Here... I will tell you what he will say.

Nothing to see... swarms are normal... carry on.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
and another 2.2 follows
2.2 2013/09/15 11:06:42 44.568N 110.811W 8.3 26 km (16 mi) ESE of West Yellowstone, MT

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ressiv

I know; nothing to compare it to. That's why I don't like seeing even more quakes today in a part of the park that aren't as heavily monitored. The south west corner. 5 today all above 2. If tremors I guess it could be normal but what do these tremors indicate? If release we might see a new geiser pop up maybe? Would anyone there report wildlife behavior changes? Would they even notice? I guess just keep watching. Will probably die down again, adding to our present knowledge of how normal this is.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
*rubbing hands together while looking eagerly at live GEE*

Just like the good 'ole days! Love it.... (that is, so long as this monster is just turning over in her sleep.
)

TA? Ya still up? I am VERY interested in what you have to say about the wavelengths right now on GEE...and on a few of the stations in the park.

ETA: And I can guarantee you that anyone near those 3+ quakes are feeling them. They are pretty shallow. I know in my area, I feel shallow quakes that are as low as 2.0.

And for those that know my history here on ATS, just thought I would let you know that my 'big quake'
dog has been VERY unsettled the past two days.
edit on 15-9-2013 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
So it looks like another 2.5 just happened, which is a tad shallower than the others. (7.6 km)

Where is TA? lol

No time to sleep!!

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
In many ways i would be more worried if they all stopped, as long as there are earthquakes then pressure is being released - when the pressure doesn't get released slowly over time it tends to the larger and more sudden release.

In case i am not making myself clear think slow puncture versus blowout

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   

MamaJ
reply to post by Menedes567

Ha! Here... I will tell you what he will say.

Nothing to see... swarms are normal... carry on.

dif. between normal and ab-normal will be other data so2 / radon values / magnetic field disturbance / ground uplift ect....
USGS will look at that

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by johnb

Actually, the latest from the scientists is that they don't believe smaller quake activity is relieving pressure. Just becuase of the VAST difference in energy from a 2 mag to a 6 or 7. I DO like your analogy, and I think that line of reasoning makes sense...it may also be a bit different when we are looking at a caldera vs a normal fault system or regular volcano. I know that when a gyser stops, it can indicate things moving or shifting underground...or as we saw up in Canada this past year, the 'pathway' is shut off.

SO....I am with you that I would become highly suspicous and a bit concerned if it all suddenly stopped. As if she took a big breath and is holding it....vs the slow release. Just keep in mind that the store of energy is such, that even if it is being released very, very, very slowly, it isn't neccessarily preventing anything.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
To boot, what's going on to the South of us right now sure would make it tough to evacuate in that direction. Out of the frying pan and into the fire so to speak... If you're not from the area or aren't privvy to that news, they're calling it a 1,000 year flood event. Not intending to derail, just pointing out that the region is already dealing with some very nasty circumstances. The last thing we need right now is for this monster to act up.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join