It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools Sending 'Fat Letters' To Parents About Overweight Children

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by KeliOnyx

see, that's the difference between generations.

when i was in grade school, we planted and tended our 'crops' in class. we had 'health' class which tended to focus on 'nutrition' topics.

now in school, kids don't tend to plants unless they are in jr/high school and taking a specific horticulture class.

health class is more about sex, drugs and disease.

and, the parents of today didn't do it themselves so they can't teach it to the children.

yes, i still think the letters are ridiculously insulting and a waste of good $$ that always seems to be lacking.

they could be planting gardens on school grounds and teaching the lessons right there ... but, that's our tax dollars at work, isn't it?

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
The problem isn't the availability of healthy food...it's the COST. Carbs are cheap, and groceries have risen way higher than the normal rate of inflation. So, when families are looking to feed everyone, you see meals with pasta and rice as a base, or potatoes, etc. In addition, I can get a meal at McDonalds for the same cost as making something at home. With two parents working, sometimes you'll grab some cheap fast food vs. having the time to cook a proper meal.

That all said, keeping a closer eye on weight of children is a good idea. I was skinny as a kid, but you'd never know now. Still, while a little plump (I can still get my clothes off the rack), had I been allowed to be fat as a kid, I'd probably be shopping in fat boy stores now.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hollie
reply to post by butcherguy

If you want to be obese, go for it. But when you cannot breath because of the weight on your chest, and cannot walk because your hips and knees have suffered, you only have yourself to blame.

We shouldn't bring attention to this problem? Or what do you think? Just keep it all quiet? If we should, then let's quit labeling foods too.

What business is it of yours anyway?
I don't want to be obese.... so I am not.
But I don't consider it my duty to care if you are fat, waste tax dollars on the subject OR spend tax dollars to care for health problems that are caused by people's poor choices.

I never said that we shouldn't label foods, but you are telling people what they should or should not eat.

My point is that we used to have a society that kept their noses out of other people's business.... as in their diet.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

and see, these are 'fighting' words right here.

id consider a very poor diet a form of abuse so why should too much of bad food be any different?
because your interpretation of a 'poor diet' might just be a healthy choice for that particular child.

you would never see my daughter eat bread or anything made from yeast.
your image of what is a 'form of abuse' would have been an extremely unhealthy interference in her life.

she is allergic to 'yeast' ... so, items that you and the school find 'nutritious' would have KILLed her.
and, THAT's a huge red flag in my book.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

One big mac costs about the same as 5 bags of .99 cent beans. There have been several examples of some really cheap foods that can feed an army, not just carbs. Meals can be prepared ahead of time too. Healthy foods really aren't more expensive than a side of fries, a burger, and a soda and for the same price, can make you several meals.

link   
Has anyone gone out and bought as many calories as possible for 20 bucks and as much food to create a meal for 20 bucks an actually weighed up the pros and cons.

Because while there might be more pure energy in a fast meal, you arnt getting the fiber and the unrefined forms of the food and sugars.

Also how much does one normally have to eat of either to feel full.

Would less of a natural home made meal make you feel full faster than fast food?
How long after would you next feel like you need to make a another meal?

etc

link   

Originally posted by LightOrange

Originally posted by butcherguy
We used to live in a country where you were free to eat what you wanted... get fat if you wanted... whatever.

You can't do that any more.... some busybody has to crawl up your arse and bite you.

We used to live in a country where you were free to feed your children poison.

Now when you do is "The State" "crawls up your arse" and sends you a letter. When removed from the envelope, the letter -- obviously -- jumps out, holds you at gunpoint, and raids your fridge of all of your unhealthy foods.

Dem commies, I tell ya.

Please get a grip.

Get a grip?
The State is the entity that is not only approving 'Frankenfoods', but giving Monsanto a 'Get out of jail free card'!!!
You would be better to wake up, than telling me to get a grip!

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   

I do not care about you, but I care about your child. And future generations. I don't want my son marrying your fat daughter and being taught a poor nutrition. Would you want that for your children? Oh and Im not saying you have a fat daughter, it was just ONE example of why I care.
edit on 6-9-2013 by Hollie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

But I don't consider it my duty to care if you are fat, waste tax dollars on the subject OR spend tax dollars to care for health problems that are caused by people's poor choices.

Unless you do not pay taxes, you indeed are using your tax dollars to care for the health problems of the obese. So yea, it's your duty.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightOrange

Originally posted by beezzer

Originally posted by Biigs

Once again this is about NOTIFICATION not action

No.

It is about determining what the societal norm should be. It is about pushing an artificial standard that the state dictates.

It's not an artificial standard. It's a natural standard that the human body has for healthy living.

edit on 6-9-2013 by LightOrange because: (no reason given)
after deleting the ad hom attack, it is still necessary to remind you that ALL bodies are NOT the same.
nor should they be treated as such, EVER.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Hollie

I don't want my son marrying your fat daughter and being taught a poor nutrition.

What if my daughter was fat.... and your son loved her..... even though she was fat.

You sound like a pretty mean mother.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   

He can marry who he wants, chances are high, one in three actually, that he is gonna marry a fatty anyway.

link   

Unless you do not pay taxes, you indeed are using your tax dollars to care for the health problems of the obese. So yea, it's your duty.

Yes.
You get my opposition to government sponsored heath care.
I am a libertarian.
Freedom first.

link   

I do not HATE fat people.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   

He can marry who he wants, chances are high, one in three actually, that he is gonna marry a fatty anyway.

So get over it.
Stop trying to control him to the point of where you are picking the person he will marry.

That's the thing, it is all about control. You want to control what people eat, who they associate with... everything.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   

You get my opposition to government sponsored heath care.
I am a libertarian.
Freedom first.

Yes, and since you have to pay for totally preventable health issues, doesn't it aggravate you? Meanwhile, food can be easily brought back into the peoples control. So what happens now? The schools cannot address, the parents don't, so the tax payer is left with the bill.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   

I do not HATE fat people.

Well, that is a plus in my opinion.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Fat people hate themselves.

I just feel sorry for them if they dont know or dont realize how they are damaging themselves.

But the ones that know, do it anyway are hurting the people that love them and care for them to see them avoid doing something so simple as to eat the right amounts of good food.
edit on 6-9-2013 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   

So get over it.
Stop trying to control him to the point of where you are picking the person he will marry.

That's the thing, it is all about control. You want to control what people eat, who they associate with... everything.

I never once tried to control your food, have I? You wanna eat garbage, go for it. I am simply telling people that defend obesity being hereditary, or saying healthy food is expensive, and saying they cannot grow food is completely false, and is just an excuse to not take responsibility.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
*****wrong forum
oops.

edit on Sep-06-2013 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join