It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools Sending 'Fat Letters' To Parents About Overweight Children

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by LightOrange

none at all
no sir.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

I am not following your "train" either. So pay taxes if you want, or don't. It honestly does not affect me one way or the other.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93

Monsanto and GMOs and whathaveyous have nothing to do with this thread whatsoever
Really ???
just who do you think provides these "nutritious" school lunches ??
you know, those same lunches the kids don't like and won't eat anyway.
so, since they won't eat the food provided, how are they 'feeding' their brains, at school ??

ya know, way back when, we smoked on campus, had soda machines on campus and we had classroom gardens ... and ya know what else ?? no where near as many 'fatties'.

"choices" and learning how to make good ones is the crux of this issue.
school has failed at that endeavor for more years than i'd care to count.

Wow people really don't like to stay on topic here.

I'll bite anyways, though.

There's a very simple solution to your spoiled brat who won't eat his/her lunch because it's not dunkaroos:

Don't feed him/her the crap they want when they get home from school as a reward for not eating his/her lunch.

The child may be spoiled, but they aren't going to go all Ghandi over cafeteria lunches for God's sake.

You realize how ridiculous this faction you're parroting sounds?

"OMG give our children the choice to eat poison again, dammit! Otherwise I have to go out and buy them Lunchables or they'll scream an kick for 5 minutes before playing Call of Duty for 8 hours."

The problem is obviously with the school lunch system, right?

edit on 6-9-2013 by LightOrange because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Hollie

Wow! Well EBT covers seeds. Seeds that grow food. There are a LOT of SNAP gardens. If a person is on EBT, doesn't it make sense to grow their own if they can?
of course it does but i can tell you that most EBT recipients aren't told or taught such.

It only takes so many seeds before you have your own stock.
i get those from the foods i do buy ... also a program called Backyard Liberty taught me how to do it at any home without any land use at all.

Plus, what about making a little money maker by selling the excess, and getting off of EBT all together.
well now your crossing over into "revenue" issues and most EBT recipients know even less about that.

Did you know about these programs?
about the program, sure.
details about the program, not so much, i don't qualify.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hollie

Originally posted by butcherguy

You get my opposition to government sponsored heath care.
I am a libertarian.
Freedom first.

Yes, and since you have to pay for totally preventable health issues, doesn't it aggravate you? Meanwhile, food can be easily brought back into the peoples control. So what happens now? The schools cannot address, the parents don't, so the tax payer is left with the bill.
edit on 6-9-2013 by Hollie because: (no reason given)

It aggravates me that someone thinks that it my responsibility to pay for other peoples health care regardless of how they manage to contract their illness.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   

reply to post by Honor93

I am not following your "train" either. So pay taxes if you want, or don't. It honestly does not affect me one way or the other.
if you're an American, it sure does but far be it from you to see it.
i opted out of this system, loooong ago.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

Essentially, as I have been saying, and appears you are too, people aren't taught this. A recipient can easily learn about SNAP gardens, and yes, it is taught in very few schools where welfare and poverty is pretty high.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   

There's a very simple solution to your spoiled brat
who's spoiled brat ???
i don't have one of those.

why would i feed my allergic child a sandwhich ??

since when are 'allergies' equal to a 'spoiled brat' ???????

yes, often it is.

ETA -- i would bet that you don't even see how the 'school lunch program' enables more bullying, do ya ?
edit on 6-9-2013 by Honor93 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   

[if you're an American, it sure does but far be it from you to see it.
Haha so you are saying that the fact that you don't pay taxes effects me, and you are okay with that? Why, because people like you drive me into a higher tax bracket? LOL okay Honor. I see it now. Thanks.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightOrange

Originally posted by LightOrange

We used to live in a country where you were free to eat what you wanted... get fat if you wanted... whatever.

You can't do that any more.... some busybody has to crawl up your arse and bite you.

We used to live in a country where you were free to feed your children poison.

Now when you do is "The State" "crawls up your arse" and sends you a letter. When removed from the envelope, the letter -- obviously -- jumps out, holds you at gunpoint, and raids your fridge of all of your unhealthy foods.

Dem commies, I tell ya.

Please get a grip.

Get a grip?
The State is the entity that is not only approving 'Frankenfoods', but giving Monsanto a 'Get out of jail free card'!!!
You would be better to wake up, than telling me to get a grip!

You were just begging for stars with this completely off-topic response.

Complete straw man.

Now I REALLY think you need to get a grip.

Stay on topic or start your own. Monsanto and GMOs and whathaveyous have nothing to do with this thread whatsoever.
edit on 6-9-2013 by LightOrange because: (no reason given)

You opened the gate when you said this:

We used to live in a country where you were free to feed your children poison.

Do some research.
I simply pointed out that the STATE is the entity that is making it nearly impossible for people to get healthy food. The STATE is the entity that is closing down small farms, passing laws to make it illegal for farmers to sell produce at the farm and closing down small dairies.

Monsanto and companies like them are engineering plants that are very likely more poisonous that the Twinkies that you are railing about. The government is supporting them.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by hebegbes

The problem is there is not a lot of information out there on feeding people with a slow metabolism. Some call it the Hunter/Farmer kinds of metabolism. It seems that there has been little studies by medicine on this, as people with slow metabolisms make good customers later in life. If the Medical profession were to verify the different types of metabolisms and published a way that these people should eat and what they need to avoid, nobody would even believe it. They won't do that though, they would financially cripple their health care/pharma industry.

It is let the buyer beware, research things on your own. That is the present rule. Trouble is when researching, there is so much bs out there created by people who desire to profit from these things. Always examine motive.

Oh Rickymouse, I wish they would take the time to study slow metabolism more.

I had lapband surgery two years ago, and even after losing 75 lbs, I still struggle to maintain the loss. I am also still obese. I eat way less than other people and my body hangs onto every bit of fat it can. The only way I can maintain or lose weight is almost total carb free eating. My dad was like me and both my kids struggle too. Funny thing is, we all have been raised on different diets.

My dad's family was very poor in the early 40's and ate cheap starches a lot. I grew up on a diet of fried and rich foods. I think my dad enjoyed all the things he never had as a kid. My kids have grown up with a mother always watching her weight. Therefore, they have had healthier foods.

I think there is a lot more that could be done to help with the obesity epidemic that would be a lot more useful than trying to shame people who feel so much shame already. Lets face it, if you are fat, you are generally made to feel inferior by others. It's one of the last acceptable groups to bash. Almost every obese person I know has been made to feel like a child of a lesser god at some point in life. Shaming isn't a productive way of "helping". Fat people know they are fat. If my son's school sent me a letter informing me of his condition, I'd send one back thanking them for informing me of the obvious. I'd also want to know how many of the staff was in the same boat and what productive measures we could do together to help remedy the situation. I'm thinking a volunteer staff, parent, student program. I'm sure that would nix the problem quickly.
edit on 6-9-2013 by Komaratzi11 because: added text

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Hollie

Essentially, as I have been saying, and appears you are too, people aren't taught this.
totally agree.
now here's my quandry ... since so many of the 'school children' are from EBT families, why isn't the school teaching this ????

you might think the resource online is what makes it 'easy' but i'd tend to remind you that EBT recipients don't often have online access nor are they directed to 'learn' about the program at all.

Detroit is a long way from FL and no, it isn't taught here, even though we are among the top EBT recipient states

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   

[if you're an American, it sure does but far be it from you to see it.
Haha so you are saying that the fact that you don't pay taxes effects me, and you are okay with that? Why, because people like you drive me into a higher tax bracket? LOL okay Honor. I see it now. Thanks.
your income tax bracket isn't my issue, is it ?
the taxes i do pay for service/goods do benefit you so a thanks would be appreciated.

besides, since paying income taxes is purely 'voluntary' ... who is anyone to demand them ?

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   

reply to post by Hollie

Essentially, as I have been saying, and appears you are too, people aren't taught this.
totally agree.
now here's my quandry ... since so many of the 'school children' are from EBT families, why isn't the school teaching this ????

you might think the resource online is what makes it 'easy' but i'd tend to remind you that EBT recipients don't often have online access nor are they directed to 'learn' about the program at all.

Detroit is a long way from FL and no, it isn't taught here, even though we are among the top EBT recipient states

Funny you mention Florida. Oh about 18 miles away we have the SNAP gardens. I often participate in them. Homestead just had a big thing about them.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

LOL Okay Honor. Sure! How so? How does what you buy and the taxes you pay on those goods effect me?

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Actually that is so off topic, maybe for a different thread I suppose.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Hollie

Funny you mention Florida. Oh about 18 miles away we have the SNAP gardens. I often participate in them. Homestead just had a big thing about them
well, i'm on the west coast and you don't find many if any 'round these parts.
and i haven't seen any news about the Homestead program you mentioned.

the only thing we hear about Homestead is the problems, not the solutions.

ETA -- just out of curiosity, i googled "Tampa SNAP gardens" and got these results

Snap-On tools, mostly

edit on 6-9-2013 by Honor93 because: ETA

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   

reply to post by Honor93

LOL Okay Honor. Sure! How so? How does what you buy and the taxes you pay on those goods effect me?
they support those same roads, healthcare, infrastructure you mentioned earlier but if none of that is important to you, so be it.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

Unless your diabetic - Which is caused by high sugar diets.

Where did you learn this?

Here is some info for you:

Myth: Eating too much sugar causes diabetes. Fact: The answer is not so simple. Type 1 diabetes is caused by genetics and unknown factors that trigger the onset of the disease; type 2 diabetes is caused by genetics and lifestyle factors. Being overweight does increase your risk for developing type 2 diabetes, and a diet high in calories from any source contributes to weight gain. Research has shown that drinking sugary drinks is linked to type 2 diabetes.

It is linked.... As in: High sugar diets can cause obesity(but not if you exercise enough) which can cause Type 2 diabetes. It does not cause it.
Diabetes Myths- American Diabetes Association

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   

There's a very simple solution to your spoiled brat
who's spoiled brat ???
i don't have one of those.

why would i feed my allergic child a sandwhich ??

since when are 'allergies' equal to a 'spoiled brat' ???????

yes, often it is.

ETA -- i would bet that you don't even see how the 'school lunch program' enables more bullying, do ya ?
edit on 6-9-2013 by Honor93 because: (no reason given)

All you have to do to get the school cafeteria to make your child special meals is get a doctor's note saying that they have an allergy and they are legally required to offer it. Most places won't even require that; all you have to do is tell them.

If a kid can't eat the school lunches because he/she has an allergy, then it's the parent's fault for not informing them of the accommodation that needs to be made for the child.

Although, honestly, I don't even believe you if you're saying that the school doesn't already offer a bread-free option regardless of you having to go through any process as there are quite a number of kids who require gluten-free meals. I worked in a kitchen at a sports camp for 4 years and gluten-free and vegetarian were the overwhelmingly most common exceptions to meals and any time we had a child even just for 1 week we were immediately aware of everything we needed to do to accommodate them.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join