It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools Sending 'Fat Letters' To Parents About Overweight Children

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

Okay you are on the West coast? The programs are Fresh From Florida and I believe those are all over the state, not just in the South. Fresh From Florida might not be your cup of tea because it's an off shoot of government. I can get together some links that I find important if you want them for any reason?

You did mention that you garden right? And grow food?

This is getting off topic, but I certainly can gather info. about some programs if you know of people that may be in need of farmed fresh foods, or food banks that could use perishables, or SNAP gardens.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

It aggravates me that someone thinks that it my responsibility to pay for other peoples health care regardless of how they manage to contract their illness.

Understood, and fair enough.
edit on 6-9-2013 by Hollie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by LightOrange

All you have to do to get the school cafeteria to make your child special meals is get a doctor's note saying that they have an allergy and they are legally required to offer it. Most places won't even require that; all you have to do is tell them.
well, i'm about 30yrs past that point but thanks for the suggestion for those dealing with it, today.

If a kid can't eat the school lunches because he/she has an allergy, then it's the parent's fault for not informing them of the accommodation that needs to be made for the child.
disagree.
often, such food allergies aren't known before the child is in school.

again, i'm at least 30yrs beyond that point and no child, then or now, should be 'marked' with a letter from the 'authorities' over their individual growth markers.

those are for parents and drs, not schools or administrators.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

sk0rpi0n
IMO, there is nothing wrong with schools reminding parents to get their kids in shape. Might seem harsh, but its for the better.

Unless of course, the parents prefer that their overweight kids learn later, the hard way.

I think all people who have eyes in their heads in the family already know, and are dealing with the isssues and low self esteem.

The school is there to teach, end of issue.

Not to bully, not to bring up someone's conditions or physical attributes whatsoever.

That is extreme abuse.

Allowing your child to become obese is also child abuse. It is basically degrading a child's health and increasing their chance of being bullied because the parent can't be bothered.
edit on 6/9/2013 by EasyPleaseMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

No not SNAP ON tools LOLOL SNAP is an acronym Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program. I have to bail, but later on I will gather some important links and so forth for those interested. It's great to pass along some of this information to those that may be still thinking that they have to buy cheap processed crap with their EBT, when in reality they do not.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Hollie

sure, share what links you can, i'll pass'em around.
the Fresh progam is something i have never heard of, to date.

yes, i farm tilapia which produce a wonderful bounty depending on the season.

i also belong to a local farm-co-op and seldom buy anything 'fresh' from a market of any kind.

although, convincing my neighbors it is both beneficial and cash-savings isn't the easiest thing i've ever attempted.
links and further info would be appreciated.

heck, we have several "lots" available that could be transformed into SNAP gardens ... maybe that's something i should look into

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hollie
reply to post by Honor93

No not SNAP ON tools LOLOL SNAP is an acronym Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.
yeah, i know that dingaling

the point was ... it isn't a 'big' thing around here ... although imho, it should be

I have to bail, but later on I will gather some important links and so forth for those interested. It's great to pass along some of this information to those that may be still thinking that they have to buy cheap processed crap with their EBT, when in reality they do not.
cool and if not here, please u2u them, i am interested.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Maybe the schools should focus more on tolerance and acceptance. I see a lot of bigots on here railing against

those whose lifestyle may be different than theirs. If someone is happy and fat who the hell is anyone to judge them.

We all have things in our lives that may or may not affect our longevity and quality of life. The emphasis here should

be on freedom and that alone. So if i do everything perfect the way someone else thinks i should that

guarantees me longevity? No, there is no way in hell anyone can be certain that if someone is "obese" that will be

what kills them. To think this is asinine, it could help if you live the way you are advised, but that is no guarantee.

People need to spend more time worrying about themselves than going around judging and oppressing others.
edit on 6-9-2013 by Privateinquotations because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Privateinquotations
Maybe the schools should focus more on tolerance and acceptance. I see a lot of bigots on here railing against those whose lifestyle may be different than theirs. If someone is happy and fat who the hell is anyone to judge them.

So if I am happy to let my child smoke tobacco it doesn't matter so long as they are happy?

We all have things in our lives that may or may not affect our longevity and quality of life. The emphasis here should

be on freedom and that alone. So if i do everything perfect the way someone else thinks i should that

guarantees me longevity? No, there is no way in hell anyone can be certain that if someone is "obese" that will be

what kills them. To think this is asinine, it could help if you live the way you are advised, but that is no guarantee.

People need to spend more time worrying about themselves than going around judging and oppressing others.

I tend to agree here but it is pretty obvious that being obese is bad for the health, the same as smoking is...

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
While I am physical fitness freak (I'm crazy shallow), I don't like this.

Why?

We have more than enough people on this planet, we should be ENCOURAGING bad habits, thins the weak from the herd. If you're not smart enough to NOT be a tub of excrement, let's get you out of the gene pool any way that works the fastest.

Derek

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by EasyPleaseMe

So if I am happy to let my child smoke tobacco it doesn't matter so long as they are happy?

If you are happy letting your child smoke the consequences are your and the child's to bare. Once again i have

known individuals in my lifetime who have smoked all their life and show no ill effects from it. Obesity doesn't have

an 18 or older ban on it either last time i checked and my son himself was overweight at a younger age. Then, he

hit puberty now he can eat everything in the house still be hungry and not gain an ounce. To each their own.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Viesczy
While I am physical fitness freak (I'm crazy shallow), I don't like this.

Why?

We have more than enough people on this planet, we should be ENCOURAGING bad habits, thins the weak from the herd. If you're not smart enough to NOT be a tub of excrement, let's get you out of the gene pool any way that works the fastest.

Derek

We are talking about children here not adults.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Obesity doesn't have an 18 or older ban on it either last time i checked and my son himself was overweight at a younger age. Then, he hit puberty now he can eat everything in the house still be hungry and not gain an ounce. To each their own.

You make a fair point, how children are after puberty tends to set how they are for the rest of their life.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I think the school may be tired of replacing chairs that have been crushed and this was a nice way of informing the parents compared to sending the bill for fat arse Johnny.

You think I am joking about their chars constantly being crushed well I am not it is the truth.

Video game nation of fat kids.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   

If you are happy letting your child smoke the consequences are your and the child's to bare. Once again i have

known individuals in my lifetime who have smoked all their life and show no ill effects from it. Obesity doesn't have

an 18 or older ban on it either last time i checked and my son himself was overweight at a younger age. Then, he

hit puberty now he can eat everything in the house still be hungry and not gain an ounce. To each their own.

I'm sorry, no. That's not freedom; it's child abuse. The parent is the guardian and knows better than to let a child smoke. They're supposed to protect the kid not poison him. I say this and I've been smoking since I was 14. I wish my parents had been stricter about it. To say "the consequences are those of the parents" is incorrect. It's not their lives. Children are people.

You might as well say that parents are allowed to rape their kids; it's between the parents and the kids after all. Free is free.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   

I'm sorry, no. That's not freedom; it's child abuse. The parent is the guardian and knows better than to let a child smoke. They're supposed to protect the kid not poison him. I say this and I've been smoking since I was 14. I wish my parents had been stricter about it. To say "the consequences are those of the parents" is incorrect. It's not their lives. Children are people.

I did not condone this action i said the parent and the child would have to face the consequences of this action whatever they may be.
You are free to quit smoking, yet you choose to continue to smoke. Blaming your parents for not forcibly stopping you at 14 is a cop out and you are not owning up to your own actions. You are in control of yourself. Only you can be blamed that you still smoke, and that is your choice. If you are happy smoking, more power to you. I am happy for you. If you are not happy smoking however, change it, don't play the victim of what your parents "allowed" you to get away with.

I smoked when i was 15 through my mid 20's i was smoking 3 packs a day when i quit cold turkey. Be honest with yourself as well parents are not around you at 14 24/7 to monitor your every behavior anyhow. When the cat's away the mice will play.
edit on 6-9-2013 by Privateinquotations because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Privateinquotations

Where did I blame my parents? I said I wish they had been more strict about it.

The funny thing is, in the topic of the thread, we could apply your way of thinking in the same way and come up withe opposite result that you seem to be posing as most sensible.

"So what? You got a letter from the school that says you're obese. Stop blaming the school, you're the one who got obese."

"So what? You get a letter about your kid from the school stating that he is obese. Stop blaming the school, you're the one who let your kid get obese."

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   

well, it's not like smokers really have a choice either.
considering Flagler County's new rule regarding smoking ... maybe i should gain 50lbs so i can really be 'unemployable' too.
"Smokers need not apply"

the more i think about it, food, booze, tobacco, medicinals, house, car & extra luxuries that all of the other taxpayers foot the bill for is sounding more enticing every minute

/sarcasm

why bother working hard if i cannot enjoy the things 'others' think are bad for me ? ... is it my life or not ?

ETA - one should be cautious about removing the reward from rewarding good behavior.
also, it is not in the 'job description' of either the school or administrators to monitor the lifestyles of their students.
[edit to add -- it didn't used to be part of the job description, if it is now, perhaps we should fix that first]

perhaps, a better plan would be to have the school nurse and parents of obese children to meet and discuss potential remedies.
oh yeah, nvm, they are too busy dispensing or stealing the kid's pills

edit on 6-9-2013 by Honor93 because: ETA

edit on 6-9-2013 by Honor93 because: add txt

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   

while these may be true on the surface ...

"So what? You got a letter from the school that says you're obese. Stop blaming the school, you're the one who got obese."

"So what? You get a letter about your kid from the school stating that he is obese. Stop blaming the school, you're the one who let your kid get obese."
it still doesn't justify the school using $$$ designated to help TEACH the children to send such a ridiculously stupid letter.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   
well i guess id have to send back the reply of

dear sir or madam,
kiss my a**

my daughter is but 1. dont know what her weight is going to be like when she is in school but that is not really the schools problem. dont care about the intentions behind the letter. that is the reply

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join