It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools Sending 'Fat Letters' To Parents About Overweight Children

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Schools Sending ‘Fat Letters’ To Parents About Overweight Children

Well this is certainly intimidating.

How would you like to get one of these ?

And from your kids' school on top of it !!

Just more commie intrusions on individualism.

And somebody actually gets paid to do this crap to people ?

STUDIO CITY (CBSLA.com) — Many schools are sending notes home to parents, telling them their children are overweight.

Lauren Schmitt, a registered dietitian, starts the school year by checking out the weight of hundreds of preschoolers in the San Fernando Valley.

“We look at growth charts and percentiles. And when a child is at 95 percent of their…we can look at weight for age or weight for height…that child would be considered obese,” she said.

By October, CBS2’s Suraya Fadel reported that parents will get what is called “healthy or unhealthy” letters. Kids call them “fat letters.”

Fat Letters, not Love Letters !

Absolutely Insulting !!

and here's another one.............

The federal government has spent $2.2 million studying why three quarters of lesbians are obese despite sequestration-mandated budget cuts that critics warned could “delay progress in medical breakthroughs.”

The National Institutes of Health awarded an additional $682,873 to Brigham and Women’s Hospital for the study on July 17. The project had received previous grants of $778,622 in 2011, and $741,378 in 2012. Total funding has reached $2,202,873.

The project has survived budget cuts due to sequestration, which the NIH warned would “delay progress in medical breakthroughs.”

Your Tax Dollars Hard At Work: Feds Spending $2.2 Million To Study Fat Lesbians…

edit on Sep-05-2013 by xuenchen because:

+12 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

How many school staff are overweight I wonder?

People dont need food education, what they need is REAL food in the shops, not artificial garbage thats laden with fructose corn oil an such crap.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Might be received better if a doctor were to be the one to send a fat letter? What do dieticians know anyways? Why is it insulting to be told that you are obese? Curious.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   

What really do the schools know. Are they only going by what they see or are they weighing our children in the nurse's office without parental knowledge? And what if the child has a weight problem due to medical issues? Is the parent still held under close scrutiny if the child has metabolic issues that are hereditary and the only current manifestation is their weight because they are still young enough that other manifestations haven't presented themselves?

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   
IMO, there is nothing wrong with schools reminding parents to get their kids in shape. Might seem harsh, but its for the better.

Unless of course, the parents prefer that their overweight kids learn later, the hard way.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   

MountainEnigma

Are they only going by what they see or are they weighing our children in the nurse's office without parental knowledge?

You do not need to weigh a person to see that they are obese. And I would think that obesity due to something medical would not be that common. Unless 33% of the nation has a medical condition that makes them really fat?

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
There are way more kids that are fat than there should be. It is not okay to be young and obese if there isn't a medical issue in the way from you becoming and being healthy. All the kids at school can already tell who's fat and who isn't. Some people are stupid enough to think that there's nothing wrong with a 6 year old being 30 pounds overweight.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   

It is high time we close the federal department of education and fire everyone.

We had a pretty decent education system in this country before the Department of Education was created in 1980.

There isn't anything radical or revolutionary about that.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   

well,.
honestly, if your kid is actually Fat,. then it needs more exorcise and proper diet from home,.
I have to say,. i dont disagree with the school on this one,. they are putting more responsibility on the parent for once. Too many parents feed their kids nutrition-less foods and dont promote real foods, like fruits veggies,proteins and nuts. the school system is just trying to wake parents up.

+4 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Good. Sometimes parents are bad at parenting and need a swift kick in the ass. Why not nip it in the bud? Obesity is a very serious issue and all the fat apologists need to knock it off.

There are so many people that are completely out of touch with reality about their weight, I imagine many are the same with their kids. Shoot I need to drop 15 pounds and I didn't even notice it sneaking up on me. Went to the doctor last month and got weighed, almost pooped myself (perhaps that would have helped with the scale).

They check for eyesight, scoliosis, lice... why not obesity? If they start snatching up fat kids in the night and putting them in foster homes I'll be mad, but alerting parents to a medical issue is a good idea.

I certainly don't want kids getting their feelings hurt, but if they are obese the problem should be addressed.

Cringe every time I see a fat kid in the grocery store watching their Mom load the cart with liters and liters of coke, cookies and other nonsense.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Do you think the parents really need a note to know their child is overweight?

I think it stinks

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
No doubt I need a fat letter. Though I don't think a letter would do any good. Maybe instead of sending out letters they should extend PE classes and make sure kids get the exercise they sometimes don't get at home for various reasons.

Peace

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   

While you are complaining about 2.2 million dollars being spent trying to help solve obesity (no matter how stupid the effort), countless more millions are being spent on meat subsidies that keep fast food joints in every neighborhood. That's right, our taxes are spent feeding these kids this garbage and poison instead of healthier foods. So no, I don't complain about little "wastes" of money as long as these huge industrial welfare cases are using my money to actually cause the problems that we are spending money on to fix.

Sixty three percent of the U.S. government food subsidies go directly or indirectly to subsidize the meat and dairy industries. Less than 1 percent goes to fruit and vegetable cultivation. Less than 2 percent goes to nut and legume cultivation. Stopping meat subsidies would raise meat prices dramatically. If I cannot afford meat I will not buy meat; However, I could buy fruits and vegetables if the decreased governmental subsidy for meat is used to subsidize fruits, vegetables, nuts and legumes. Shifting subsidies will help provide healthy and affordable diet choices for all Americans.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   

stormdancer777

I think it stinks

No, not a note. Maybe a free pass to a fat camp.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   

stormdancer777

I think it stinks

Yes I think some do. I think it stinks worse when parents let their children gorge themselves on junk and play vidya games all day long.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Hollie

Children are so easily hurt, can you imagine the embarrassment?

I think there are many reason for the obesity problem in America and throughout the world.

Can you imagine if the schools sent home notes informing parents their child was gay?

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

No doubt I need a fat letter.

Check your inbox.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Domo1
Good. Sometimes parents are bad at parenting and need a swift kick in the ass. Why not nip it in the bud? Obesity is a very serious issue and all the fat apologists need to knock it off.

I know. I don't care if I see overweight adults. It's the kids. These kids are learning how to eat from their parents. If their parents never learned properly or unlearned as adults, most of those kids aren't going to see their 50th birthdays.

Parents are killing their children and those poor kids have no say in it.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Domo1

stormdancer777

I think it stinks

Yes I think some do. I think it stinks worse when parents let their children gorge themselves on junk and play vidya games all day long.

I don't think it is always what they eat but what is put into our food.

I know thin kids that eat just as much junk as heavy set kids.
edit on 103030p://bThursday2013 by stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by stormdancer777

Gay people don't have to buy 2 seats on an airplane. Gay people also don't have to have walls torn down to get them out of the house. They also don't typically break the backs of the EMT's to lift into a vehicle that does not fit them.
edit on 5-9-2013 by Hollie because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join