It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools Sending 'Fat Letters' To Parents About Overweight Children

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Dieticians... are fake experts? So what do you want? Just to allow people to allow their kids to get fatter? Cool, pretty soon they will have to make all new chairs for the 75lb. kindergartners. Or, do you just think it is OKAY to allow the fat to keep getting fatter with every generation? I am asking, is obesity even a problem in your eyes? If you don't see it as a problem, then okay, no worries.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   

VoidHawk

Cuervo
reply to post by stormdancer777

Ok... I have a feeling that many here don't understand how weight is gained and lost. You burn a certain amount of calories and you consume a certain amount. If you consume more than you burn, you gain weight. If you burn more than you consume, you lose weight.

It doesn't matter what the source of the calories are. There are no exceptions for this, not even thyroid issues. Certain conditions may make it harder for you burn calories but you MUST burn a certain amount just to live and eating under that amount isn't that hard. People have food addictions, plain and simple.

Any nutritionist will tell you that they've had people tell them that they've tried this and it doesn't work. 100% of the time, when they have to resort to monitored meals, it works and the weight is lost.

I sympathize as sugars and flours are addictive as are many of the other additives. That doesn't mean it's not your fault. It's hard to quit smoking but, if you die from it, it's still your fault.

The parents who have lost their jobs and been forced to take minimum wage jobs (which is most parents) cant afford the low fat, low sugar food, they have no choice but to buy the cheap stuff. If they are forced to buy the expensive food they may not have enough money to supply their families with enough of it, then we'll see complaints of malnourished kids!

We need healthy food in the stores at a healthy price.

You don't have to spend more to just look at the nutritional facts on the back. Either buy soda or buy seltzer water. If you buy soda, it's going to be bad for your kids no matter how expensive it is.

The problem is that I see these parents buying expensive junk food. When my wife and I hit some financial hardships a while back, we thought we would have to start feeding our daughter junk food. We didn't. We just had to get a bit more creative and start making more food at home.

I'm not saying that eating healthy is just as easy as eating junk food but it's not an extreme challenge either. Organic produce isn't so expensive if you are buying it instead of Cookie Crunch, potato chips, and soda. Usually people complain about the prices because they think they need to buy it in addition to their other crap they eat. They often don't understand that it is meant to replace the crap, not accompany it into the shopping cart.

It's not too expensive and I wouldn't even say that it is any more expensive at all. If a person is willing to pay for quality junk food, they can afford quality health food.

ps edit - I do agree that produce and non-meat and non-dairy foods need to be more affordable but that's an issue about subsidies. A different thread, for sure, but I'd look there as to why healthier options are so much more expensive than meat, dairy, and sugar.
edit on 5-9-2013 by Cuervo because: ps

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Hollie

Sure obesity is a problem.

But the 'experts' and commies are a bigger problem.

commie solutions only add to the problem.

What do you think people did a long time ago, before the commies came in ?

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   

xuenchen
reply to post by Hollie

Sure obesity is a problem.

But the 'experts' and commies are a bigger problem.

commie solutions only add to the problem.

They dropped unhealthy people off of cliffs. Social thinking is what stopped that.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

You are right. And another problem is for the last few generations, people have no clue that they really don't have to eat packaged foods. Whole foods, cooked or raw, I mean people have to learn that these days. Kids go to school, stand in a line, and food is plopped on a tray. Also, creative marketing for people wanting to get healthier has essentially doomed them. I mean, what is this "I cannot Believe It's Not Butter" garbage anyways?!?! Another thing, 2000 calories with 2000mg of sodium? HOLY CRAP! No wonder.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   

xuenchen
reply to post by Hollie

I guess I have no clue what commies you are talking about. I mean, do you think this nation should be addressing obesity? If so, how? If not through our educational system? Since children do spend 8 hrs. per day in it.
edit on 5-9-2013 by Hollie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Also, I told you what they did before the "commies" came in. They actually bent down and picked their own potatoes. They used energy to get their food by planting, growing, and harvesting. Today they do not do that. Is that what you mean by before the commies came in?

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Hollie

Americans need to stop blaming the government or capitalism for what is essentially the individual's problem of laziness and/or a lack of self-control.

Contrary to some views expressed here, the poor and uneducated know what it takes to lose weight.

America will end its so-called obesity epidemic if and only if obese people make a personal decision to eat smaller portions, eat healthy foods and exercise.

Government should not be in the business of attempting to control anybody's behavior.

People know this already.

Nobody needs commies to tell them.

You can't legislate human nature.

The social engineering has been around for decades.

Results speak for themselves.

Go to the next level up.

To Each His Own.

People are not goldfish.

You must believe in the 100th monkey theory too.

edit on Sep-05-2013 by xuenchen because:

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Hollie
reply to post by DerekJR321

I suppose nutrition isn't part of education? Okay. I dare you to slap an educator for teaching your child that obesity is a problem, and for letting you know that your child isn't healthy. What would you do if they told you that your child has bugs in his head? Smack them for that?

Nutrition is part of education. However, sending a letter home to a parent saying their child is fat has absolutely nothing to do with "education". My child's DOCTOR can inform me if there is an issue. A teacher is neither qualified nor in any position to make such a judgement. But obviously you seem to support this "nanny state" we live in, where everyone apparently has the right to interject their opinions into your life. And are you seriously comparing a child having lice to a school telling a parent their child is fat??? Seriously? Do you have children?

And yes.. I stand by what I said. If a teacher sent me home a letter saying my child is fat.. that teacher and I would have a big problem.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   
This was in my local rag recently.
May 1945. End of war street celebration.

No garbage food in the shops and not one single overweight person to be seen.

No need for FAT letters. We just need to be rid of the junk thats in the shops. The proof is in the picture.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   

It was a dietician. Not a teacher. Dietician.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   

xuenchen, children are in school 8 hours out of the day. Parents are working. How do you suppose it should be addressed, if not by a dietician in a school? Parents do not have time or are too lazy. I mean, they aren't going to learn from their hard working or lazy parents. So where do you suppose these kids should learn about obesity?

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   

DerekJR321
And yes.. I stand by what I said. If a teacher sent me home a letter saying my child is fat.. that teacher and I would have a big problem.

You'd have to get in the line behind me!

School is for...well supposedly, for education. Its none of their business.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   

And that's what the kids called them "fat letters". It was just bringing attention to the childs weight and height, etc and where s/he fell into the range.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   

DerekJR321

Even if it were true? Would that problem be you explaining why?

Phys Ed has always been around and has done far worse for the self body images of children and parents don't seem to mind having that as part of the curriculum. Why is sending this kind of letter home any different that giving the kid an F in Phys Ed?

Personally, I want the next generation of Americans to at least understand why one third of their fellow citizens are dying of diabetes and heart disease in their 40s so that maybe the generation after them might actually get it under control.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hollie

It was a dietician. Not a teacher. Dietician.

Yep.

A dietician.

And probably one that is a product of modern 'education' that indoctrinated the commie agenda.

How about we send letters to their house and alert them that they might be a commie ?

How would THAT go over ?

I bet as well as a lead balloon.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Okay have you ever seen so many obese people in grocery stores riding around on them handicapped carts? Shopping? Go into a grocer and look at ALL of those little electric carts. WTH. Look at the grocer aisles! They are wide now. And Void hawk posted a pic from 60 years ago of a whole bunch of skinny people. It only took 60 years for our nation to be the 2nd obese in the world. They say obesity means prosperity. Right? I guess, even if it is at the expense of your health/life.

There are people all over the world that eat big meals all throughout the day. It's what they eat, not how much they eat. We really need to get a grasp of the food system. If our educators cannot teach our children, then I have no clue who can, especially of the parents cannot. I mean, growing a food item or raising one for butcher is a life sustaining knowledge. Why they do not teach that to our children is beyond me.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   

xuenchen LOL you just hate the public educational system. I get it. Unfortunately that's where our children are all day. Just as many hours in public school as their parents are out on the job.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Hollie

Then why not run for office ?

Then tell all THAT to the people running the show.

Good Luck. Really.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen

How about we send letters to their house and alert them that they might be a commie ?

How would THAT go over ?

I bet as well as a lead balloon.

They DID do that! My word, do you know what a communist even is or what the Red Scare was?

You keep saying "commie" in every post like some Red Foreman parody but I've never seen you use the word correctly. It's like talking to somebody drunk on Cammo malt liquor.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join