It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools Sending 'Fat Letters' To Parents About Overweight Children

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Why should people write the stores and demand they carry healthy food? Let's see... let's write all the stores that sell handguns, all the stores that sell tobacco ... it's a choice, period. My friend has a 4 year old that probably tips the scale at 65 lbs. I cannot pick this child up. She's obese because her mom lets her carry around plates of shredded cheese, cakes, cookies, chips... everything overweight kids shouldn't be eating. I personally saw her go through 5 plates of shredded cheese in one evening. A mother like that deserves a letter from the school letting her know, hey, your kid needs help. That mother is just lazy and doesn't want to fix her kid proper meals. When she was a baby, every time she cried, mom was sticking food in her mouth so she didn't have to deal with her... putting her in her high chair with the tray filled with chips and suzy-q's. That's how kids get fat. It's not because the grocery stores sell food that makes you fat. You know what foods make you and your kids fat... so don't buy them!

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by hebegbes

Why should people write the stores and demand they carry healthy food?

I was talking about the schools taking it upon themselves to interfere in peoples lives. If they insist on writing these letters then why not aim them at the root cause!
That would make more sense.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by hebegbes

In the case you are talking about, there is a problem that can be corrected by lowering sugars in the food. These examples only account to half the numbers though, people with high metabolisms can eat that kind of food and never gain weight. Someone with a low metabolism will get fat from that diet. I know skinny people who eat that kind of food all day long, needing high carb diets. Some people are better at burning ketones than sugars. The mind can work fine on ketones, but a few parts of the brain need glucose.

In the case you are talking about, the gut flora of the kid needs adjusting, too many sugar eating bacteria in there, candida being one of them I think. That will bring some problems later in life.
edit on 6-9-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   

The parents ARE the root cause, not the places they buy the food.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I know. I'm one of those people that can eat that food all day and not gain an ounce. When I was in my 20's, my doctor told me to eat pies, cakes, and have a chocolate malt before I went to bed just so I could gain a little weight, but it never worked. But I know that if that kind of food made me start packing on too many pounds, my mom would have put a stop to it. It's just about responsibility for you and yours.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by hebegbes

The problem is there is not a lot of information out there on feeding people with a slow metabolism. Some call it the Hunter/Farmer kinds of metabolism. It seems that there has been little studies by medicine on this, as people with slow metabolisms make good customers later in life. If the Medical profession were to verify the different types of metabolisms and published a way that these people should eat and what they need to avoid, nobody would even believe it. They won't do that though, they would financially cripple their health care/pharma industry.

It is let the buyer beware, research things on your own. That is the present rule. Trouble is when researching, there is so much bs out there created by people who desire to profit from these things. Always examine motive.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hollie

I gave several examples of cheap healthy foods that would feed an army. You chose to ignore them.
Are you living in friggin dreamland?
One of your examples.

Cabbage is cheap, so are potatoes. Carrots too.
Where I live just one of those would be more expensive than a big mac.

Fish you can catch if you live near a lake or ocean.
Most lakes where I live require expensive permits! And the vast majority of people live miles from the ocean.

Ive never bought fish so don't know the costs in package form.
Yet you tell us its cheap to eat healthy food.

Chicken is cheap, especially the roosters. Not sure what it costs in a package, but I hear it is pretty cheap.
And thats far from healthy, and its LOADED with growth hormones and antibiotics.

Beef? I wouldn't eat commercial beef, but there are ways to get a half cow if you are into it.
You see that right there is why I say your living in dreamland. How many on poverty incomes can afford half a friggin cow!!
And why wouldn't you eat the beef? For the same reason I said the chicken is unhealthy?

Quail can be raised for pennies and in the home/backyard. I hear it's costly to buy.
And where would you suggest people grow them when they live in a flat, or neighborhood that doesnt allow farming?

Rabbit is cheap, not sure if it sold in the general markets.
Until lots of people start buying it. And anyway, it is not cheap

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   

It really depends what foods we're talking about here. Broccoli is one of the most nutritional things you can ingest and there really aren't many junk foods that costs less per calorie.

Let's look at America's top selling junk foods:

-Donuts

-Pizza

-Microwave Meals

-Ice cream

-Cookies

-Chips

-Hamburgers

-French Fries

-Fried Chicken

-Soda

It's funny, I don't buy any of these when I personally go to the store -- and it's not because I'm a health nut. It's because they're ridiculously expensive.

Compare prices on these popular items to the price per calorie on:

-Broccoli

-Legumes

-Tuna

-Carrots

-Lentils

-Wild Rice

-Beans

-Potatoes

-Oats

Sorry, but didn't you just say something like "OMG just SAYING that eating healthy is cheaper than eating junk food doesn't make it true".

I find that rather ironic because it seems as if you just tried to SAY that junk food was cheaper just to make it true. If the problem is that people can't afford to eat healthy, why is it that Americans eat an average of 13 billion hamburgers a year? Hamburgers are certainly not cheap.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Cabbage is cheap, so are potatoes. Carrots too.

Originally posted by VoidHawk
Where I live just one of those would be more expensive than a big mac.

I'm just going to stop you right there and call BS.

A Big Mac is $3.99.

A 3lb bag of carrots is $3.39

Just how many pounds do you think a Big Mac is?

Maybe these schools should send home 2nd grade math tests with the letters to see if these parents are capable of basic everyday function here in reality.
edit on 6-9-2013 by LightOrange because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   

You have 2 people that gave you fine examples of cheap healthy foods. I do not live in a dream land. I live in an apartment, that I rent. Just because the system has failed you by not teaching you how to eat properly, doesn't mean that you cannot take control of your own diet. Also, not only does a big mac cost more than a few heads of cabbage and beans, the cost on your health that big mac poses is quite significant. It was not to long ago that citizens were raising their own foods Viod Hawk. In tiny little places I might add. It only took a few generations to bring this country into the FAT country that it is today.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Oh and the cow example. People want grass fed beef. They go into a purchase agreement to raise that cow on a pasture. They pick it up when it is butchered. See, this is all stuff that you have to be taught these days. Rabbit is cheap. And cheap to raise, even in an apartment.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Also, I already tapped on the defense "what about apartment living". Look a few pages back. I live in an apartment. Want some vids of people living in shacks packed on top of each other, living in drought conditions that not only grow their own foods, but make a profit? There are plenty to go around if you want me to post them.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightOrange

Americans eat an average of 13 billion hamburgers a year? Hamburgers are certainly not cheap.

That is really scary. And there are only what, 360 million Americans? So that's an average of 36 burgers per year. That number EXCLUDES vegetarians, vegans, non red meat eaters, and infants. And also exludes how many pounds of ground beef that actually is. SCARY

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
We used to live in a country where you were free to eat what you wanted... get fat if you wanted... whatever.

You can't do that any more.... some busybody has to crawl up your arse and bite you.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

So.... it's ok for them to send a letter saying their grades are bad?
ok for them to send letters about absenteeism
ok for a letter about improper attire.
etc.....

But not ok for them to send a letter that they are fat.

hrmmm.......

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

If you want to be obese, go for it. But when you cannot breath because of the weight on your chest, and cannot walk because your hips and knees have suffered, you only have yourself to blame.

We shouldn't bring attention to this problem? Or what do you think? Just keep it all quiet? If we should, then let's quit labeling foods too.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I see nothing wrong with this.

Vegetables are cheap. There is no excuse to have obese children. Children should be playing outside with their friends. Fatty foods should be restricted to 1 a week. This is how it was when I was a kid and we had one fat kid in our class. He was slim compared to some kids today.

It is lazy parenting. Some parents cannot be bothered cooking so they fill their kids up with microwaved artificial foods, or mcdonalds burgers and pizzas.

Vegetables and exercise is the only diet that works. Its the easiest diet and the natural way to live. Schools should not have to do this but if kids are fat, it would seem that unfortunately the schools DO have to do this for the sake of the children.
I find it hard to believe many people here think parents with obese children should not have these letters sent. Someone has to take the initiative and it seems the parents are not. Disgusting way to treat your own kids and there is no excuse for obese children.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
We used to live in a country where you were free to eat what you wanted... get fat if you wanted... whatever.

You can't do that any more.... some busybody has to crawl up your arse and bite you.

We used to live in a country where you were free to feed your children poison.

Now when you do is "The State" "crawls up your arse" and sends you a letter. When removed from the envelope, the letter -- obviously -- jumps out, holds you at gunpoint, and raids your fridge of all of your unhealthy foods.

Dem commies, I tell ya.

Please get a grip.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
They send out insulting letters to the parents about their overweight kids but then show a video of a cafeteria worker serving french fries and hamburgers to the kids.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
reply to post by xuenchen

So.... it's ok for them to send a letter saying their grades are bad?
ok for them to send letters about absenteeism
ok for a letter about improper attire.
etc.....

But not ok for them to send a letter that they are fat.

hrmmm.......

In my highschool, if you wore improper attire you got an out-of-school suspension.

I guess denying children education based on clothing choices aren't nearly as much of an outrage as a piece of paper in your mailbox informing you that your child could be at risk of serious diseases, though. No strange standards in the mix there.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join