It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Race. We must talk about it, but we can't. Help, please?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by firemonkey
reply to post by undo

Second, please tell me how white males are discriminated against?

Would you consider the completely disproportionate amount of violent crime (and crime in general) perpetrated by black males against white males discriminatory?

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by firemonkey

okay you forced my hand. i'll go easy on you though, cause i think you're brainwashed.

deprogramming, commencing in 1....2....3

these ladies, who just happened to be "white", won the sprite step off competition and then had the win taken away and given to the 2nd place team, because stepping is not for white people

hehe

i can dance! lol

that's the nice version. if you would prefer the more upfront approach?

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Who do you think, in our current society, is oppressed (if anyone)???
edit on 16-7-2013 by firemonkey because: (no reason given)

All of us my brother/sister, ALL of us.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

There should be no protected class.

That would be fine if it weren't for our country's history.

It is unbelievable to me that some people think that racism/oppression is ancient history. 1964 people...only about 50 years ago...people are alive today that couldn't drink out of the same fountain as "whites" because they were systematically defined as inferior.

But it seems like the common theme in this thread is, "They should just get over it". 50 years is not a long time...the wounds are still very deep and very fresh to some people. And if people didn't experience it first hand...they have grown up hearing stories of what their their parents or grandparents had to live through.

But most here just want them to "get over it"...you've had 50 years...it's in the past.

It is just unbelievable to me that so many people have this opinion.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   

I would like to answer that.

"WE the People" are the oppressed. All of us. We are not free. We are being Polarized by our Government, we are systematically being "oppressed" by those who are in Power, and we have let them do it. We are the product of our environment. From Politics to Media we continue to eat what they put in front of us, and collectively we have done nothing to change our sorry situation. Its sad and Pathetic. MHO

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   

And how many of the white people still alive were responsible for it? A teeny tiny fraction. Why should we beat all white people, for what that tiny fraction did? You are blaming the whole white race, for the behavior of some scummy individuals. That is racist, even if you are aiming it at your own race.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

A fantastic thread with great heated semi polite exchanges discussing more than relevant topics, degenerating into name calling, youtube videos and hyperbole.

Thanks Charles1952 for the backrub and very hip thread. It was great while it lasted!!!

edit on 16-7-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Dear firemonkey,

Thank you for providing me with what you see as racist.

Concerning your question about "Oppression," I beleive I asked what is meant by oppression and gave an answer based on an assumption.

I would like to ask a favor though. It's almost midnight here, I have a 6 a.m. wake up, and we old folks need our rest. May I respond more fully tomorrow?

AND TO EVERYONE ELSE. Thank you again for making this such a fascinating discussion. I'm really grateful to you. At this rate we will have found the key to world peace by tomorrow.
Good night.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

First off, Zeta Tau Alpha still got first place...another sorority also got first place after a scoring discrepancy was found. No where was it said that they couldn't win because it's not for whites...they in fact did win.

www.accessatlanta.com...

You should get your facts straight.

The rest are comedians...for real?

So please, let's see what else you've got.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by FuZe7

reply to post by undo

Second, please tell me how white males are discriminated against?

Would you consider the completely disproportionate amount of violent crime (and crime in general) perpetrated by black males against white males discriminatory?

No, I don't think that fits the definition of "discriminatory". That is a huge stretch.

I feel like I know the reason why crime rates among blacks are high...do you? I'm curious to hear why you think crime rates are high among blacks.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Spiky topic!

I can only talk from my own perspective. I'm white, Scottish and live in London. All my neighbours are black, in fact the whole area where I live is black. I love it. Everyone is so kind to me and we're always in and out of each other's houses, chatting, going to parties, helping each other out. My area is considered very dangerous by white people and to be honest if you push it, the guns will come out, however I can go down to the shops or stand on a street corner and just chat to random people or they'll just start chatting to me. Kids can play in the street because they know that there are no child pervs about (usually white) and will quite happily come up to you. I love watching them hang onto the back of buses getting a free ride using their roller blades.

From what I can see, most black people have a bit of distrust about whites and white people (in England at least) have a complete fear of anyone black (usually because they are terrified their house price will drop if someone black moves into the neighbourhood). When Obama was made president, you should have seen the pride that everyone in the area had.

My niece is South African (black Zulu) and the looks I get when I'm with her in a white neighbourhood in England is shocking. I was at a party the other week and I was the only white person there. It was a great evening and if you get the chance you should try it. You'll begin to understand what it means to be an "ethnic minority" and maybe start seeing things from someone else's perspective.

I just go with the rule that we're all human beings and it's good to experience other people's cultures. Maybe I wrong, but it feels good.
edit on 16/7/2013 by nomadros because: typos

edit on 16/7/2013 by nomadros because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Dear olaru12,

Thank you, I'm really glad you stopped by and I'll send your back rub via UPS.

Why did this degenerate, as you point out? Could it have been because of a poster who wanted to go in an entirely different direction? Or is it just a symptom of "I have to beat the other side into submission?"

Either way, I don't think the thread is mortally wounded. It took a knock, sure, but there are a lot of great people here (including you) and I think the thread will continue to greater heights.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

And how many of the white people still alive were responsible for it? A teeny tiny fraction. Why should we beat all white people, for what that tiny fraction did? You are blaming the whole white race, for the behavior of some scummy individuals. That is racist, even if you are aiming it at your own race.

Who is beating white people? THIS is the problem, white people think they are oppressed now.

Giving a group of people that have been systematically oppressed by this country some opportunities is not beating up white people.

And saying that since we have done it for a couple generations now, they should get over it and are now equal is just ridiculous.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   

reply to post by TDawgRex

There should be no protected class.

That would be fine if it weren't for our country's history.

It is unbelievable to me that some people think that racism/oppression is ancient history. 1964 people...only about 50 years ago...people are alive today that couldn't drink out of the same fountain as "whites" because they were systematically defined as inferior.

But it seems like the common theme in this thread is, "They should just get over it". 50 years is not a long time...the wounds are still very deep and very fresh to some people. And if people didn't experience it first hand...they have grown up hearing stories of what their their parents or grandparents had to live through.

But most here just want them to "get over it"...you've had 50 years...it's in the past.

It is just unbelievable to me that so many people have this opinion.

Are you serious? 50 years? What's that, like 2 generations? Compared to 1959 Mississippi, you cannot argue that the treatment of all "minority" groups has not changed from night to day. There is just no way.

Perhaps were there not constant reminders about how bad it was 2 generations ago, people today could put anger aside for prosperity.

My immigrant grandfather endured some fairly unpleasant things when he first got here from Hungary. While I know the stories, it isn't from him telling me. He was a proud American, and proud of the culture he had assimilated into.

There is something to be said for this. While it should not matter, culture provides cohesion. It would be hard to argue that the cultural experience of a black American vs a white American is very similar. And yes, while some of it may be racially biased, much of it is not.

In any event, "just get over it" is good advice for many occasions. Grudges become albatrosses. We can see that from a statistical point of view that no good argument can be made for holding a grudge over what happened to grandpa being a gateway to prosperity and opportunity.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   

I told you that I don't even think you are aware that some of the things you say are racist...and I don't think you do it out of any maliciousness at all

you're accusing someone of hate speech while saying that it wasn't meant hatefully. it's nonsensical.

One question and then some examples...do you think blacks are as smart as whites?

some blacks are smarter than some whites, some white are smarter than some blacks. IQ varies. scientifically grouping IQ scores by race shouldn't be considered racist, however saying something along the lines of "that person is black, therefore they are dumb" is woefully inaccurate. it's as inaccurate as saying "that person is white, therefore they're smart".

The fan the flames just as much as Sharpton and Jackson do...but you only seem concerned about them.

those two are racists, plain and simple. i have no love for fox news or any of the people you listed, however they are not as bold or as racist as sharpton and jackson.

Unless they are white and say this...then it is valid...right?

race baiting...

You don't seem to understand that "playing the odds" in this case is racism.

there is nothing racist about saying "there are many hispanic illegal aliens". it would only be racist if someone considered all hispanics as illegal aliens.

Do you really not see the racism in that?

what, holding someone accountable for their actions? no.

You use so many code words and code phrases, do you realize you are doing it?

i believe the other poster meant "not all blacks are like that". that is the opposite of racism.

Your refusal to look at their history from their perspective is a little insensitive to claim that they shouldn't be affected by what happened in the past. Do women still suffer from unfair treatment in the past? If so, why not blacks or other minorities?

i consider someone's personal history to be as long as their own life. racism is taught in schools to keep the country divided.

AA is not racist

it is judging people by their skin color, not their merit. that is racism. this is a bit hypocritical coming from you, with what you said about IQ.

It does not treat races "differently"...it reserves certain opportunities

*cough*complete BS*cough*

AA is the only reason blacks and minorities have made the progress they have made.

so you do not think them capable of progress on their own? you talk of whites controlling the economy, but i have yet to see a rich person who owns a business turn down an efficient worker (no matter their skin color) over someone who isn't as able.

this question is designed to categorize people into groups, which ends up creating racism. "x race is entitled to y because they are x race".

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   

In my profession, "minorities" are preferred for government contracts. I get the business that's not gobbled up by "minority" owned businesses. Despite the fact that I'm actually the minority, but that's beside the point I guess...

Is that discriminatory?

edit on 17-7-2013 by FuZe7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   

disclaimer: this absulutly isn't intended to be interpenetrated as a hateful or derogatory post.

I believe the disconnect stems from the fact that I don't believe the issue ever was "oppression".

Why do you (and African Americans in general) feel so strongly that American society ever owed your people anything? Or European society in general? Do you ever see white people in Nigeria, China, or Japan complaining that they've been oppressed? Do these countries offer white people affirmative action?

Maybe you would be better off if you just appreciated the fact that your people were ultimately accepted and allowed to become a part our society and culture. If not for your ancestors selling your other ancestors into slavery, you would basically be living in the wild in Africa. There's nothing African about you now, except for your genes.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I don't like talking about race on ATS. Because it becomes a sling fest of accusation. Why the Zimmerman/ Martin case brings up race when race wasn't even a factor, at least not for Zimmerman, as evidenced by the FBI investigation, is beyond me.

This is only a racial issue because there are those who gain from pimping it out.

The media wants to make its own news, so they injected race into this. They ran with the narrative that black people would riot in an attempt at creating a self fulfilling prophesy. The media and the race baiters have been the ONLY racists in this fiasco because it benefits them to watch the peasants fighting it out over BS, instead of asking questions.

Questions about the NSA and Snowden. Questions about the IRS. Questions about our foreign entanglements, our finances and our freedom. They have us and the world believing that America is a cesspool of racial warfare. It is not.

I've said it before but I will repeat it here:

This whole Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin fiasco is nothing more than engineered emotional terrorism. Thanks media, race baiters, and political hacks. Don't let the terrorists win folks.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by FuZe7

We are all Human.

PERIOD.

Some are good some are bad. When we can literally realize this daily, and embrace it, we can move on from the petty differences we have held onto since the dawn of mankind.

Can it happen? I have faith. I teach my children that they can do anything they put their hearts and minds to.

I sometimes find myself falling into the trappings of maybe not Racism, but of finger pointing. I am highly critical of this Administration, and of any Politician using situations to divide us. We all have personal checks and balances to deal with. No one on this Planet is perfect. If we cant look at ourselves first, Judge ourselves, we shouldn't Judge others. If we as a species cant overcome the simplest of emotions, right or wrong, then we are doomed. MHO

edit on 17-7-2013 by sonnny1 because: typo

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   

from the article

"The bottom line was they didn't care if the girls were better or not, the people that were upset were saying white girls should not have won, period," Antoine said. "I think this is bigger than a step competition. Race relations in America still needs a lot of work,” he said.

what that translates to is, they were pressured into making the change, because white girls should not have won, "period."

and yes, comedians. comedy, television, movies, music, are loaded, i mean LOADED with racism of every conceivable kind imaginable. it's likely if they didn't have such a position and message, they would not be allowed into the limelight, at all. but let's just skip the light hearted stuff now since you asked

we have black professors, black musicians, black billionaires, black tv shows, black talk show hosts, black movie stars, black politicians, black church leaders, black professional dancers, black artists, black doctors, black lawyers, black architects, black scientists, black physicists, black entrepeneurs, black everything. they have all the same priviledges that white people do plus they have:

their own exclusive (read racist, apartheid) universities, social programs, and their poverty is treated as being more important than the poverty of whites.

for example, when my husband and i had our first child, he lost his job. we were in a low income bracket, so immediately we were in dire straights. we asked for welfare and were told we didn't qualify because we were white. it was a point based system and one of the points was race.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join