It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DOD holds 1st LGBT pride event in Kandahar, Afghanistan

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee
reply to post by HairlessApe

While any sexual assault is too much sexual assault, an average of 22,000/year is pretty low in the military. Considering the total amount of people currently serving is 2,271,475 (according to wiki) that's less than 1%.

nd actually, your numbers are loaded

I have no numbers you ask for sources (how about thanks) I grabbed a few for YOU the military have been discussing their disgraceful numbers in the news and what to do about it....this has nothing to do with me

unlike so many here my only agenda is not wanting my son getting killed because uprising are caused by throwing irritations at the populace in Afghanistan. How foolish just for anyone's sense of "sexual pride".
edit on 7-7-2013 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

You still have an obligation to research and report numbers responsibly.

I hope your son returns for the middle east unharmed as well, but if he's a Christian I'm not going to ask him to remove his cross, and if he's gay I'm not going to ask him to pretend he's straight. The entire war was about a belief system being attacked and minority groups being targets for heinous crimes.

It's about personal pride. Reducing it to where you like to put your sexual organs is what's truly foolish.

Let's just agree to disagree.

edit on 7-7-2013 by HairlessApe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   

No I don't. I linked something you could read or not, your very welcome for my attempt to give what you asked for.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Would the DOD allow a heterosexual event ? Could people celebrate the fact they are attracted to the opposite sex without LG's crying discrimination. Maybe throw up a banner and gather in a tent.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

No I don't. I linked something you could read or not, your very welcome for my attempt to give what you asked for.

Silence would have been more productive.
Thanks for reporting biased statistics.
edit on 7-7-2013 by HairlessApe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Wait wait wait, why did we go to Afghanistan again?

I forget so much BS war going on, well uhhh I'm sure they wont all be killed when we uhh pull out.

I'm sure when the taliban rolls back in they'll be cool with it. Oh and they'll let the opium flow too.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Originally posted by beezzer

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Why would you even imply that these events are exclusive?

Because they are often tied to political events/political motivations that are exclusive.

What political events or political motivations are exclusive???

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ABNARTY

Originally posted by ABNARTY
What on Earth are you talking about?

I'm talking about Thanksgiving and Christmas celebrations IN Afghanistan. Dinners, tablecloths, decorations, football games. Not here. THERE. I linked to them.

However, the mission was first. Always should be. But a parade or whatever this was?

What makes you think the mission was NOT first in this event? It was not a parade.

Do you want your military walking away from their purpose by spending time/money on every single feel good moment the MSM and DC are hyping?

Why are you claiming someone "walked away from their purpose"? Where are you getting that?

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Oh for gods sake! I hope you're being facetious here.

Or is this the point in the thread where it devolves from talking about the specific topic and we all take a detour into point/counterpoint land where I have to explain basic politics 101?

If you don't honestly believe that there are political ties to the entire gay issue then I'll alert the mods because someone less knowledgeable than you has stolen BH's account!

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by MajorAce

Originally posted by MajorAce
Would the DOD allow a heterosexual event ? Could people celebrate the fact they are attracted to the opposite sex without LG's crying discrimination. Maybe throw up a banner and gather in a tent.

They weren't celebrating the fact that they are attracted to the same sex.
They were celebrating the repeal of DADT and equal treatment... and it was a show of support for LGBT people being themselves instead of having to hide who they are. Did you watch the video?

When have heterosexual people had to hide that fact??? And every previous event has been a heterosexual event!

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   

We're talking about the Army here. Where everyone bleeds green. Where skin colour is irrelevant, where your home town is irrelevant, where your accent is irrelevant, where your upbringing is irrelevant, where your sexual orientation is irrelevant, where your gender is irrelevant, where your taste in food is irrelevant. . . . . . etc.

Okay ... I'm going back to this .... this was a really good point and I've been thinking about it.
When I was in the Army, we didn't have any special events tied to race or creed or gender.
You are right. We all were the same ..... all in green and all with red blood. That's it.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

And BH has a point. The military can celebrate an inclusion event. Acknowledge the event.
And then move on. As long as it's not an every year on the anniversary type thing .....
As long as everyone turns green and is 'the same' after the celebration of the inclusion ....
Then it's all good. Those who were having to stay in the shadows are now acknowledged
as included and they can put on their green uniforms and blend in with everyone else.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
WHAT WE HAVE SO FAR ...

- Some kind of gay pride event happened. the size and scope we don't know. But we do know that the video put out is NOT of what happened. It wasn't a parade through Kandahar kind of deal.

- The military has had celebrations in the past. One time celebrations. Like when they acknowledged the contribution of the Tuskegee Airman. So having a one time celebration acknowledging inclusion is appropriate. It was low key as it should be in that part of the world.

- After the inclusion event, those who have been acknowledged and can 'come out of the shadows' .. can then 'turn green' and blend in and be like everyone else without special events. If any request for yearly special 'gay pride' events happen, then they should be turned down. NO ONE gets special acknowledgement like that. At least, they didn't when I was in .... (long long ago).

Makes sense?????
Can we put this to rest now????

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

If you don't honestly believe that there are political ties to the entire gay issue then I'll alert the mods because someone less knowledgeable than you has stolen BH's account!

I didn't say that. Let me remind you of our discussion:

Inclusion is something for us ALL to celebrate!

As long as EVERYONE is invited to such an event, then it would be inclusive.

Why would you even imply that these events are exclusive?

Because they are often tied to political events/political motivations that are exclusive.

What political events or political motivations are exclusive???

And I ask again... What political events prohibit straight people from attending? Can you answer that question or not?

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

And BH has a point. The military can celebrate an inclusion event. Acknowledge the event.
And then move on. As long as it's not an every year on the anniversary type thing .....
As long as everyone turns green and is 'the same' after the celebration of the inclusion ....
Then it's all good. Those who were having to stay in the shadows are now acknowledged
as included and they can put on their green uniforms and blend in with everyone else.

And that's why I even ceded my initial point. But I will say that the Army gets it's orders from "suits" in DC who do these things for political motivation.

Have the "lunch". Have a speaker or two.

But in the military, mission comes first.

(if we can ever determine what the mission IS, that is.)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Who is suggesting that the mission DOESN'T come first?

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

What an absolute disgusting shame.
Govt prompting this is just wrong.
The military doesn't have "straight" parades.
No wonder most of the other militaries think we are a joke

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   

And I ask again... What political events prohibit straight people from attending? Can you answer that question or not?

If the "political" event is party related and is only using the gay issue as a springboard for an agenda of their own choosing.

Then THAT would be exclusive.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

Who is suggesting that the mission DOESN'T come first?

Ask the political "bosses." It is something WE had to keep reminding them!

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

So, it's a Democratic event, not an LGBT event.... Weak, beez. Totally lame.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman
The military doesn't have "straight" parades.

And the military doesn't have 'gay' parades either. Did you read the thread?
The video in the opening post was NOT of Kandahar.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join