It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DOD holds 1st LGBT pride event in Kandahar, Afghanistan

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   

DOD holds 1st LGBT pride event in Kandahar, Afghanistan

www.wnd.com

U.S. troops deployed to Kandahar Airfield in Afghanistan this week held the first Lesbian, Gay, Bi-Sexual, Transgender Pride event to be observed in a deployed environment.

The Pentagon also held a LGBT Pride Month ceremony on Tuesday, one day before the U.S. Supreme Court struck down the Defense of Marriage Act, which defined marriage as between a heterosexual couple.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
US to hold direct peace talks with Taliban.

US destroying billions of dollars worth of their military hardware in Afghanistan!

edit on 6-7-2013 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   
So.... the 12 year old war in Afghanistan thats about to end soon, culminates with this?

Is an LGBT event designed to show American "values" regarding homosexuals more important than finding a solution to the current war that is going to end back at square one... with the Taliban probably back in power and that too now with a US approved office in Qatar? Instead of resolving the bigger issues surrounding the war, they think its best they display Americas views on private matters in a foreign country, that too while on deployment... in a war that is not going to be won? I wonder what the Taliban are thinking.

Would especially like to hear from people who had served or are serving in the US army.

www.wnd.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

www.thegatewaypundit.com...

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Wouldn't this be considered an insult to Islam and to the people of Afghanistan?

This seems like a really bad idea to me. As if we haven't already angered the Muslims in this country enough?

Wow, this is just stupid.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

Are you thrilled no one was killed at the event?

I am.

Or were you expecting or hoping for something different?

"Our nation has always benefited from the service of gay and lesbian soldiers, sailors, airmen, and Coast Guardsmen, and Marines. Now they can serve openly, with full honor, integrity and respect. This makes our military and our nation stronger, much stronger."Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel

Maybe the Taliban, and those that live in that region can benefit from a little less repression, and a whole lot of love.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by dashen

I'm looking at it from a different angle. Its not about sexual orientation and peoples "rights". Save that for a better time and place.

Its about priorities in times of a crisis. Just why would the Department of Defense decide to parade peoples sexual orientation at a time when the American mission is failing, that too with the enemy Taliban set to negotiate at the table on their terms?

I don't know about you, but I think the DoD parading its soldiers as homosexuals in a country where a war is being lost... is just a bad idea. Its simply self inflicted humiliation.

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   
That has ZERO PLACE IN A WAR ZONE.

The pandering has got to end.

Save the GD politics for the states.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   
With all due respect to the gay community...I fully support you and your 'pursuit of happiness' but....

This is like going out into the back yard and swatting a hornet's nest...

...and you know this will be on the Afghani news

...it's like...instead of fighting terrorists, we're trying to manufacture them.
edit on 6-7-2013 by rival because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Perhaps this isn't actually about the Taliban and our involvement in Afghanistan, but about our troops who serve THE SAME as the rest that are finally allowed to be themselves without fear of reprisal.

If that makes our enemy think we're, weak who cares? If anything, that's good. I have a feeling a lot of tough guys spouting anti homosexual nonsense on this site would get the crap beat our of them by most gay guys/lesbians.

Should we just remove all the women serving so the Taliban doesn't think we're soft? It's hysterical to me that gays and women are helping to kick the crap out of 'em. It reminds me of Hitler's boxer getting squashed by a black guy.

People upset over homosexuals sound far more like candy asses to me than any mincing gay guy in uniform. Grow up.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I'm neither from the US or Afghanistan, but I don't see a problem with this.
It's limited and confined, and I'm sure it keeps up the morale for gay and lesbian people working there.
It was a one off event, so is a party really that important?

I mean who is actually making a huge issue out of one theme party?

I know other gay activists will disagree with me and say this is "pinkwashing", and that no gay or lesbian person should celebrate being in an occupying army.

I don't like war crimes and atrocities, but I'm glad gay people have equal rights in the US army, and it seems to be withdrawing anyway.

I still think the US army was better than the Russians, or Islamists who kill their people and stop girls from going to school.
Do they really want the Taliban back?
I'd like to see the women's vote on that one.

I think for internal matters in the army, this was a great event for the US military, and a great way to recognize fantastic gay and lesbian staff, who had to start the war in the closet.

Gay people went there not entirely free, and now at least they are free.
Fabulous!
Perhaps it's a reminder that all people should, and can be free!

But the US military also had great sensitivities to local Muslim customs like Ramadan, so at least symbolically this does not deviate from a tradition of attempting to respect various peoples.
www.stripes.com...

edit on 6-7-2013 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
The issue is McCrystal got canned for making political comments, yet no problems with that political event.

See the BS now?

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

It's hysterical to me that gays and women are helping to kick the crap out of 'em.

Actually, whats hysterical is that after 12 long years "kicking the crap" out of them... the Taliban now have their own office in Qatar, that too approved by the country that "kicked the crap" out of them... and the Taliban are on the verge of negotiating with the same country that said they don't negotiate with terrorists.

I guess, with victory on such a grand scale, an LGBT parade was surely the need of the hour.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

No doubt.
Its a PR move.

Seriously though, I would rather have this, then someone getting killed. And..........

Those in that region are ALWAYS going to be pissed off at the US. There's a million and one ways to piss off the Arab World. Everyone cries equality and when the US shows it within its own troops, its taken like an offense.

You cant win.

Meh..............

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Yeah it's a pr move and 'equality' in the military?

Then hell get rid of rank.

LOL.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   
According to Mr peace prize winner they all should have been out of that hell hole at least 4 years ago and celebrating whatever in their home town not in the war zone.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Holy crap!

The world might be changing...

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by amkia
According to Mr peace prize winner they all should have been out of that hell hole at least 4 years ago and celebrating whatever in their home town not in the war zone.

Quiet.

The terrorists at Gitmo are sleeping.
(another empty promise)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Are you saying that no women or gays have ever been involved in some Taliban ass kicking? I'm not suggesting the US is winning the war, merely that women and gays have played a part in kicking some Taliban ass.

I don't see how acknowledging that this group of people serves in the military is of any concern. I suppose in some backwater burbs it's embarrassing to have women and gays in the military. Sounds a little Talibany.

You think this was a PR stunt? Yeah, theres a good chance of that. You think the message is wrong? I hear they've got some nice caves far away.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Those in that region are ALWAYS going to be pissed off at the US. There's a million and one ways to piss off the Arab World. Everyone cries equality and when the US shows it within its own troops, its taken like an offense.

I didn't know Afghanistan was part of the Arab world. And also, we haven't heard anything about Afghans reacting to this LGBT event... yet. So, you're the one bringing it up.

Also, its not just about "equality" within US troops. Its about timing.... and priorities. You see, the whole world knows of Americans stance regarding gays. Yes, we know they can marry and adopt children and parade in the streets. Is this so important to the US that they feel the compulsion to parade it in a foreign country where they are at war?

I mean, how about resolving real issues? Like say, doing something to salvage expensive military hardware thats being junked? Or doing something to be able to leave without the enemy getting back to power? I'm not a military person, but even I can tell there are more pressing, realistic issues than the need for soldiers to express pride in their sexual orientation.

This LGBT parade held by the DoD sounds like the punchline to the 12 year joke that was the US-Afghan war.

edit on 7-7-2013 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   

So, you're the one bringing it up.

Said the OP.

Also, its not just about "equality" within US troops. Its about timing.... and priorities.

Why do you think the timing was off here? It seems spot on.

Is this so important to the US that they feel the compulsion to parade it in a foreign country where they are at war?

Well for the gay members in the military and the command, obviously yes, it is important.

I mean, how about resolving real issues?

This IS a real issue. What you're denouncing is the celebration of that issue being resolved.

This LGBT parade held by the DoD sounds like the punchline to the 12 year joke that was the US-Afghan war.

Perhaps to a 12 year old.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join