It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You still want gun carrying teachers in your schools?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Unfortunately students are not even safe from school staff members!

AURORA, Colo. - Aurora police and Aurora Public Schools are investigating the accidental shooting of a student by a staff member. School superintendent John Barry said the shooting happened in the parking lot at Rangeview High School Monday at 4:30 p.m. The staff member, who has not been identified, was going to give a student a ride home, Barry said.

Apparently, from some of the comments at the bottom of the article, the two individuals involved are cousins. That would explain the reason a school staff member was giving the boy a ride home. Why was the gun out in the first place? Also, why is it on school grounds? Is that not against the law? Just another senseless accident here. Glad the kid is going to be ok, but surely his life will be forever changed. Will probably have a limp, or at least not walk the same again. The damage was apparently severe. www.thedenverchannel.com...

"Again, this was an accidental shooting," Barry stressed. "Please be assured that the safety and security of our students is a top priority in Aurora Public Schools." Detectives have asked anyone who witnessed the incident or know anything else about it to contact Detective Dave Van Nostrand at 303-627-3246 or Crime Stoppers at 720-913-STOP.

This kind of stood out to me. First they assure the safety of everyone, then they are still asking for more information from any possible witnesses
Seems like an open shut case to me, what other information do they feel they could be lacking?

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Ahhh..YES...that is the only thing that would have stopped the Sandy Hook crap..I have no issues with trained people in the schools with weapons...if nothing else they just might be a deterrent to others that just might want a easier target.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by thesmokingman

They are probably asking for witnesses just to collaborate the statements of the cousins. If it was truly accidental I imagine no charges will be filed for the shooting. They probably will press charges against the guy for having a fire arm on school property- and that is a federal charge if I'm not mistaken.

It's ironic that so many tragic shootings happen on school campuses nowadays. When I was still in school it was common, and perfectly legal, to see hunting rifles and shotguns in the gun racks of trucks- belonging to both students and teachers- and there weren't mass shootings. What a world we live in today!

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romeo1
Ahhh..YES...that is the only thing that would have stopped the Sandy Hook crap..I have no issues with trained people in the schools with weapons...if nothing else they just might be a deterrent to others that just might want a easier target.

Did you read the article? This WAS an alleged trained individual with a weapon, (thankfully NOT in the school), but ON school property none the less, and he shot his own cousin in his car. Would you want a guy like this in your childs school?

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Wow! A federal charge?!?! He will never work in security or in a school again!

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
The man was an Armed security officer and the officials say that he isn't to be charged.

Hopefully, the man is out of a job now. He obviously cannot be trusted with a firearm.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
double post

edit on 14-5-2013 by NiteNGale2 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   

I never did want them in our schools and this is precisely why.

Thanks for posting. F&S for the OP.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16

They are probably asking for witnesses just to collaborate the statements of the cousins. If it was truly accidental I imagine no charges will be filed for the shooting. They probably will press charges against the guy for having a fire arm on school property- and that is a federal charge if I'm not mistaken.

It's ironic that so many tragic shootings happen on school campuses nowadays. When I was still in school it was common, and perfectly legal, to see hunting rifles and shotguns in the gun racks of trucks- belonging to both students and teachers- and there weren't mass shootings. What a world we live in today!

Yes we had after school gun club fully sanctioned by the school... we would actually bring our 22's to school (in gun cases) so that we could all go to the range after school on the bus..no one ever got shot and no one ever thought twice about it....

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by thesmokingman

Originally posted by Romeo1

Did you read the article? This WAS an alleged trained individual with a weapon, (thankfully NOT in the school), but ON school property none the less, and he shot his own cousin in his car. Would you want a guy like this in your childs school?

Yes I read it and he was apparently not trained well..I have had a concealed carry permit since the 80's and never shot anyone accidently...someone was not being carefull..
I still want armed people in the schools period...it is the only way to stop a nutjob that is armed.
I have two kids and Im perfectly fine with trained armed teachers or aids or rent a cops in the school.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Guns don't kill or injure people, the cousin probably tried to kill him intentionally.

As a side note, why are we trying to get countries not to have nuclear power, we should be putting effort into educating them how to use it right. After all, nuclear weapons don't kill people, people who misuse them do.

edit on 14-5-2013 by Kharron because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flatfish

I never did want them in our schools and this is precisely why.

Thanks for posting. F&S for the OP.

I never did either. It is my opinion that DHS is buying all of the ammo they because it will be given to the schools as it will soon become law for either armed teachers or armed guards in ALL schools. Makes me sick to think about really

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   
A quick analogy: a common topic among my friends and family is the apparent near exponential growth of crime not only in this country, but all across the globe. What we as what I would consider a very well informed and certainly well-educated group have agreed to is that there is a concurrent rise in population.

More people, more violence and crime. The per capita stats rise and fall, but generally remain near the starting point with little movement over the long term.

Therefore, whether you support or do not support gun control, guns in schools, concealed handguns, etc, the more guns on the street and in public domain will inevitably result in more shootings, accidental or otherwise.

I am as neutral as anyone I know. My family chooses not to have guns in our home and environment but fully respect other's right to do so. I also own and drive a car, and if I were to drive 1,000 miles vs. 500, then I certainly cannot argue that I have increased my risk (or opportunity) for an accident or something to go wrong.

Bottom line: what is so hard about allowing responsible ownership and control? Schools? No. Not with my 12 year son in class, but it may be OK for you and that is your decision. As in most debates, there are common sense decisions that can be made and I personally believe this is one of the rare cases where compromise isn't even so much a concern as extremists. There is PLENTY of room in the middle of this one if the differing sides would drop some egos, put aside winning at all costs vs. right and wrong, and respect the other one enough to work together instead of immovable stubbornness.

Apparently civil discourse is too much to ask?

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Romeo1

Yes I read it and he was apparently not trained well..I have had a concealed carry permit since the 80's and never shot anyone accidently...someone was not being carefull..

I will send 100$ to the account of your choosing if you can show me where it says he was not trained well in this article.
ETA: Here, let me help you:

AURORA, Colo. - Aurora police and Aurora Public Schools are investigating the accidental shooting of a student by a staff member. School superintendent John Barry said the shooting happened in the parking lot at Rangeview High School Monday at 4:30 p.m. The staff member, who has not been identified, was going to give a student a ride home, Barry said. "This staff member also works as a security guard off campus and his security guard weapon accidentally discharged while in his truck, hitting this student in the leg," Barry said in a statement. Police said the employee was trying to put the gun into the glove box when the weapon fired. The employee, who students told 7NEWS is a school monitor, drove the student to a nearby hospital. The student was rushed into surgery with what police described as a "significant injury" to his leg. Barry said the student is expected to recover. The staff member has been placed on paid administrative leave. "Again, this was an accidental shooting," Barry stressed. "Please be assured that the safety and security of our students is a top priority in Aurora Public Schools." Detectives have asked anyone who witnessed the incident or know anything else about it to contact Detective Dave Van Nostrand at 303-627-3246 or Crime Stoppers at 720-913-STOP.

edit on 14-5-2013 by thesmokingman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I really don't understand the whole idea of putting guns in the hands of teachers in the classroom. Especially in the US where people sue for burning themselves with there own cup.

If and when it becomes law i give it only a few months before the lawsuits start rolling out. If it does make it into law it will be just barely and most likely without thinking it all the way through. Votes will be the only reason it becomes law. Politician don't give a damn about your kids, just getting the bills pushed through that might keep them their seat before they lose it.

We all want protection but this is too far and at too high of a cost.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Romeo1

I still want armed people in the schools period...it is the only way to stop a nutjob that is armed. I have two kids and Im perfectly fine with trained armed teachers or aids or rent a cops in the school.

You do realize that these armed guards you speak of can be shot and killed just as easily as anyone else right? There is no way to stop some idiots with nothing else to live for from committing these crimes.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Accdental discharges do happen......
The only "safe" weapon is one thats not pointed at you....or anyone else..............

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
"You still want gun carrying teachers in your schools?"

Yes.

I have lived long enough to watch the number of school shootings skyrocket in the face of ever-increasing attempts to remove guns form the schools, starting with Columbine. How many students have died since that fateful day? Sandy Hook, that little Amish school that was shot up a few years back, and Columbine are only three examples of many intentional shootings, and yet account for how many dead children?

One child is shot by accident and quickly driven to the hospital. That child will survive. The ones I just mentioned received no trip to get care from their shooter and did not survive. That is supposed to make me wish to continue on the path we are now on?

No.

The movement against guns in general has led to less people being educated in their proper usage. It has led to more arrogant criminals. It has led to higher prices for guns and ammo, social rifts, a boon in the security industry, and a whole new bureaucracy that exists to make sure that gun doesn't look dangerous and that it is well-stored so no intruder gets hurt while trying to rape, rob, and pillage a home. And still, people are shot by criminals who disobey the law.

This is still a dangerous world. There are still bad people in it who want to hurt others. As long as this dynamic exists, I prefer to place my child in the care of someone who is capable of protecting them should they need protecting. I prefer those who are charged with the well-being of my child to be able to do more than throw pencils at an armed intruder. I have weapons to protect my home. Should schools not be protected?

Call me what you want; I'm sure many will in this thread, since thus far it seems to be an anti-gun rally. It doesn't matter. The bottom line is that the anti-gun experiment has failed. More children are now dying at the hands of armed intruders. These facts can be dismissed all anyone wants, but they will still be there and children will still die at the hands of criminals. So I still say yes, let teachers protect the children as opposed to letting the children live or die based on who decides to enter the school that day.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Let me ask you a question. So a teacher is up there teaching class, you know, his job? A student reaches down and draws a weapon, and shoots the teacher. It happens that quickly. The teacher did not have time to react because it literally takes less than a second to pull a gun out and fire it. So question is, how would this armed teacher stop this from happening? Is it not a much more ideal solution to just install metal detectors in EVERY school? I will help you out, the answer is yes. Another question, what if the students decided to just rush the teacher, or a student sneaks up behind the teacher and takes his gun, what now? Any liability in that?
ETA: I am in no way, shape, or form against guns. In fact, I own several! I love my guns, all of them.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   
This was an accidental discharge, not a school shooting. The guy did not have the weapon in the school, did not threaten anyone in any way. So why is this being turned in to a witch hunt? Maybe because it's about a gun? Anti gun crowd is really reaching on this one.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join