It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You still want gun carrying teachers in your schools?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

Originally posted by DAVID64
This was an accidental discharge, not a school shooting. The guy did not have the weapon in the school, did not threaten anyone in any way. So why is this being turned in to a witch hunt? Maybe because it's about a gun? Anti gun crowd is really reaching on this one.

Weird though, shooting in Aurora called for gun law changes, now back to Aurora.

Even though Aurora may sound like a nice, affluent, community, it is actually quite the opposite. It is a gang ridden wasteland, that has plenty of shootings and violence every day. Coloradans refer to it as Saudi Aurora

The ghetto for sure!

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Staroth
reply to post by thesmokingman

Man, is it just me or does a lot of weird stuff happen in Colorado???

Remember, it will be the new capitol of the US when TSHTF

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by thesmokingman

Originally posted by Romeo1
Ahhh..YES...that is the only thing that would have stopped the Sandy Hook crap..I have no issues with trained people in the schools with weapons...if nothing else they just might be a deterrent to others that just might want a easier target.

Did you read the article? This WAS an alleged trained individual with a weapon, (thankfully NOT in the school), but ON school property none the less, and he shot his own cousin in his car. Would you want a guy like this in your childs school?

All the accident proves is that the adult didn't pay attention or that he training course didn't cover safe handling of a firearm enough.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Well we will have to agree to disagree on one point you make....

I do not care what the law says regarding having a loaded gun vs an unloaded gun. An unloaded gun is nothing more than an expensive paper weight. I am not familiar with Colorado laws, but I know some States that do require ammo be kept in the trunk if your gun is in the glove box. Frankly, these are silly laws and I certainly would not follow such a law. I am pretty confident in saying that should I find myself in a situation that would require me to defend myself, it won't wait for me to get the ammo and load up first.

Now regarding the rest of your post, Accidents do happen. Unless you were sitting in that car, you can not say 100% that this was or was not an accident. All you can do is assume based on what is being reported. Now I am not saying this was an accident, but I am also not saying this was not an accident. Fact is, I don't know but I do know that accidents can and do happen every single day.

We can debate if accidents do happen on not, but wouldn't you rather discuss the meat and potatoes of my post rather than one line?

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   
I'm glad I don't live in a country where people feel the need to have armed teachers in schools to protect their kids. This is the price to pay for a culture which has made it's armed bed and now has to lie in it. There are too many nuts and stupid people around who are too unstable to have access to guns but they do, just too many.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 07:28 AM
link   
He wasnt in school so you argument is invalid ,,,,,,,,,, next

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by blackz28

My post was in response to the poster who was talking about teachers being armed. Next.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by thesmokingman

You still want gun carrying teachers in your schools?

Yes.

Your doing the same agenda the government always does...let's take this tragedy from one person and make it speak for the entire country.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by 0rbital

There are too many nuts and stupid people around who are too unstable to have access to guns but they do, just too many.

You are absolutely right; there are far too many unstable people with guns. Logic would indicate that since this is true, it would be foolhardy to remove the ability to defend oneself against an armed attack from the sane members of society. To do so would be akin to laying down in the middle of a pack of attacking ravenous wolves.

Guns exist. If one could remove and melt down all the guns in existence, there would be guns around again within a couple weeks. Why? Because they can be made by anyone with the right equipment, and there will always be people willing to do so illegally as long as there are people who want to buy them. So why not remove that equipment? Because it is the same equipment used to make car parts, factory parts, generators, machinery to create silicon chips, joint implants, and much much more.

I just saw a thread where a plastic gun created in a computer and printed on a 3-D printer has been successfully fired. Shall we outlaw computers and 3-D printers as well?

The trick is to remove the guns from the hands of those who use them recklessly while allowing those who are responsible to protect themselves. That cannot be done with laws alone; it can be done to some degree with enforcement, and we do this. I'm sure it curbs the violence some, but it simply cannot eliminate it. If you can come up with a way to ensure that no one will ever be threatened with a gun again, I'm all on board. You'll get a Nobel Prize, because no one has ever been able to do such.

I must add I am glad I live in a country where we are not unilaterally disarmed and are therefore able to protect ourselves from these unstable individuals you speak of.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Why is it that when a bomb goes off we blame the bomber, but when a gun goes off we blame the gun?

Why is it considered unsafe and illegal to have a gun in your pocket while drinking at a bar, but it's not unsafe to have car keys in your pocket?

Look it's clearly a stupid accident the student was shot. It sounds like someone didn't follow what was taught during their gun training. That's one reason I add one extra level of safety while I carry my gun in public.
EMPTY CHAMBER!
In all my 56 years I have never been jummped. I doubt teachers fear being jummped either.
In a school situation, when someone goes postal, you have plenty of time to rack the slide.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
What I find astonishing is that many gun loving conservatives, hate teachers, think they don't do a good job, are paid to much, are incompetent, have a liberal agenda, and should be fired. And just generally have a very low opinion of teachers.

But they want to give guns to people they consider incompetent idiots. See the disconnect in logic.
edit on 16-5-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

It's the institution of public education coupled with the self-interested corruption of the unions they dont like.

Not the individual teacher doing their job.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
At least he didn't accidentally shoot 25 kids....

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by 0rbital

Originally posted by blackz28

My post was in response to the poster who was talking about teachers being armed. Next.

orbital im sorry i was referring to the OP sorry for the confusion

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Yes I do want teachers and administrators to have guns. What we have here is an extreme overreaction to an accidental incident. One individual was careless and someone was hurt. If this happened when the person had just arrived home then the argument would not exist. However, this same person would still have a gun at school.

Please answer this question: How many children have been killed by accidental shootings at schools vs children killed by school shooters? If you are truly interested in the welfare of our children then ask yourself how many children's lives could have been saved if these rampant gunmen could have been stopped sooner? Or does that not matter?

Yes, there are guns in America and there will be for the foreseeable future. This is reality. Will there be more school shootings? Unfortunately, more than likely, yes. So you are saying that we should remove the ability of responsible individuals to defend our children and let these school shooters go unchallenged to kill as many as they can?

An accidental shooting by one individual does not make a National danger. If you really care about the childrens safety then stop sports in schools. Did you know that there are over 2 million (yes, million) injuries and about 30,000 hospitalizations each year. I will repeat, each year. So, are we trying to politicize a single incident or, if one truly cares about children's safety, then put your effort into those problems that really exist.

Sports Injuries
edit on 16-5-2013 by ObservingTheWorld because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

What I find astonishing is that many gun loving conservatives, hate teachers, think they don't do a good job, are paid to much, are incompetent, have a liberal agenda, and should be fired. And just generally have a very low opinion of teachers.

I have a fairly high opinion of teachers as a profession. I think they are generally underpaid, try to do an excellent job under extreme opposition from school boards and national politics, and should be exalted in society when they are able to do a good job.

As individuals, I judge each teacher on his/her own merits. If they do a lousy job, are using the classroom for a political pulpit, or exhibit incompetence then, yes, they should be fired. The same goes for policemen, firemen, bankers, welders, cashiers, dog breeders, actors, electricians, scientists, engineers, dock workers, auto mechanics, truck drivers, contractors, carpenters, tailors, photographers....

Your error lies in generalization, the exact same error that prompted this thread. People are individuals and, while created equal, do not maintain a complete equality during life. Some succeed due to diligence and hard work; some succeed due to happenstance and luck; some fail despite diligence and hard work; some fail on their own merits. Some turn to crime; some choose to live peaceably. Some take advantage of others; some live an honest life. Some gravitate toward the trades; some toward academia; some toward leadership; some toward manual labor.

I say let each be judged on their own choices and their own abilities. I say everyone is responsible for their own actions and not for the actions of others. If you disagree, then we will have to simply disagree. I have lived my entire life by that motto and I will not change it.

A person who has no previous history of improper firearms handling, who has agreed to undergo training, and who is legally permitted to carry a weapon for their own safety and the safety of their charges should not be penalized for the actions of those who choose to exhibit anti-social and violent behavior. Instead, the latter should be removed from society so those who do not wish destruction can co-exist peacefully. Any other response denies the reality of the nature of the criminal mind, jeopardizes the life and well-being of those who wish to live in peace with others, and empowers those who would create the violence.

This is not about politics. This is about reality, and as long as people continue to try and force it into a political context, the problem will continue.

TheRedneck

P.S.: I do not love guns. I love people. Guns are inanimate objects created for people to use if, where, and as appropriate, as is true of any tool. I can do more damage with a chainsaw if unimpeded than with a gun, yet chainsaws are not implements of evil. Why?

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Speaking of generalizations:
Teachers in our area make MORE than most of the general population.
When you couple that with the number of days acutally worked over a year, it smacks many in the face.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
[
You are absolutely right; there are far too many unstable people with guns. Logic would indicate that since this is true, it would be foolhardy to remove the ability to defend oneself against an armed attack from the sane members of society. To do so would be akin to laying down in the middle of a pack of attacking ravenous wolves.

I acknowledge it's too late to disarm the American public, I also acknowledge that to a lot of people in the U.S carrying a gun is like second nature to them, which is why people get so defensive at the suggestion of their guns being taken away. This is why I said the armed bed's have been made, now there's nothing left to do but lie in it and suffer the many past and many forthcoming tradgedies that go with it.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by thesmokingman

Originally posted by Romeo1
Ahhh..YES...that is the only thing that would have stopped the Sandy Hook crap..I have no issues with trained people in the schools with weapons...if nothing else they just might be a deterrent to others that just might want a easier target.

Did you read the article? This WAS an alleged trained individual with a weapon, (thankfully NOT in the school), but ON school property none the less, and he shot his own cousin in his car. Would you want a guy like this in your childs school?

Quit fear mongering and pushing your agenda with your ignorant viewpoint. You won't win in a state like Colorado. Colorado folks also don't appreciate people from outside of their state telling them what to do or how to feel.

Colorado is an open-carry, car-carry, and campus-carry state. Anyone can carry a loaded gun in the full view of the public on their person, in their car, and on any state campus, including universities. Denver-Metro is the only place in Colorado where city ordinances go against the states law (which is entirely legal due to states rights and the rights of cities within.)

If you knew the sheer number of guns in Colorado cars, on people, and in schools, your mind would break down due to your own ignorance on weapons safety. Colorado people rely on weapons, especially those outside of Denver and further beyond the front range, mostly for protection against the wildlife and hunting.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Car accidents happen every minute. Do we really want to keep allowing our kids to use these things? I mean I know some who were in an accident way back and they still have a limp.

No cars on campus.

End sarcasm.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join