It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking joins academic boycott of Israel

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by knightrider078

good for you
because saying anything against Israel or being against its policies is antisemitic

as an academic he has chosen to follow the steps others who are boycotting Israel

there are couple of Israeli academics who also do this in Israel and boycott events in occupied territory, I assume they are self hating Jews to kind and wise people like yourself?

of course everything must come down to the same old religion BS to most people,
and one good thing about him is that hes atheist so reading through the whole God crap from other posters made me laugh

edit to add a speech by hawking from 2009

A people under occupation will continue to resist in any way it can. If Israel wants peace, it will have to talk to Hamas, like Britain did with the IRA. Hamas are the democratically elected leaders of the Palestinian people, and cannot be ignored.
Israel’s response to the rocket attacks has been quite out of proportion. Almost a hundred Palestinians have been killed for every Israeli. The situation is like that in South Africa before 1990. It cannot continue.

Hawking speaking in 2009

edit on 8-5-2013 by bodrul because: add quote and link

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Figured at least 'the smartest person on planet Earth' would open up a freaking history book.

So people prop up Steven Hawking, and saying "Here this justifies, my opinion of evil Isreal" !

That justifies my opinion that the people who just love to vilify Isreal, don't have one original thought among them.

Just repitition:

“The most brilliant propagandist technique will yield no success unless one fundamental principle is borne in mind constantly - it must confine itself to a few points and repeat them over and over.” ― Joseph Goebbels

' Those Palenstinian's are victims of evil Isreali's' over and over ad finitum.
edit on 8-5-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
What Hawking chooses to do as far as his political views is his business. One does not have to be antisemitic to say that Israel is oft in the wrong and should handle things differently and boycott their conference. I think Gefilte fish is nasty am I an anit semite as well

To all those talking about Hawkings theories like he is some kind of physics god have obviously never heard of Leonard Susskind or Gerard 't Hooft. Hawking is just a poster boy. Not even in the top echelon of theorists.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
So its ok to boycott Israel but if people speak out against Islam or Sharia Law they are Islamophobic thats ok?

Originally posted by bodrul
reply to post by knightrider078

good for you
because saying anything against Israel or being against its policies is antisemitic

as an academic he has chosen to follow the steps others who are boycotting Israel

there are couple of Israeli academics who also do this in Israel and boycott events in occupied territory, I assume they are self hating Jews to kind and wise people like yourself?

of course everything must come down to the same old religion BS to most people,
and one good thing about him is that hes atheist so reading through the whole God crap from other posters made me laugh

edit to add a speech by hawking from 2009

A people under occupation will continue to resist in any way it can. If Israel wants peace, it will have to talk to Hamas, like Britain did with the IRA. Hamas are the democratically elected leaders of the Palestinian people, and cannot be ignored.
Israel’s response to the rocket attacks has been quite out of proportion. Almost a hundred Palestinians have been killed for every Israeli. The situation is like that in South Africa before 1990. It cannot continue.

Hawking speaking in 2009

edit on 8-5-2013 by bodrul because: add quote and link

edit on 8-5-2013 by knightrider078 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

Great info - I'm delighted that Stephen Hawking is reaching out to support the boycott. More and more intellectuals must demand better for the egregiously trampled-upon. Also, I had no idea his health was as bad as what your words would suggest. He's overcome so much in his own life that I was beginning to look upon him as indestructible.

As for the Palestinian situation,I believe that Mr. or Mrs. Joe Jewish is equally (perhaps being so close to the situation--more even) distraught over its country's stance on the Palestinian issue.

Then there are the Zionists--the hardliners who refuse to give an inch and who are heaping unmitigated misery on the hapless Palestinians--particularly the children. It breaks my heart, just as it broke my heart when as I was growing up I was learning about WWII and what happened to the Jews, the Gypsies and countless others whom Hitler hated. This kind of treatment perpetrated on anybody no matter what religion, race, language, etc., etc. is reprehensible and completely unjustifiable. And where is mainstream media on this? Disgraceful!

I have never been able to get my head around such abject cruelty. If only we had leaders with empathy, it would be nigh impossible to engage in wholesale slaughter. Imagine going to bed knowing that your army had shot, killed and maimed innocent children and their parents. I'm in no way religious, but so many "in charge" claim god to be their mentor and thus wage war with confidence that they have the full backing of their saviour. It's waaaaay beyond sick. Have we not learned the lessons of history? Every empire which tramples over and sucks the life's breath out of other nations believes it will escape the hubris that has visited each and every preceding empire. Now that is absolute insanity. Why is it that the psychopaths of our species rise to the top?

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

Well he may have damaged his career but mostly due to the stronghold the pro.Israel lobby has on media, I think the man showed to be a fool and so simply human, we all have done regrettable things but what he does in his private life does not in any way degrade his body of work.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
So should Stephen Hawking refuse treatment if a cure comes from Israel for his disease?

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by knightrider078
So its ok to boycott Israel but if people speak out against Islam or Sharia Law they are Islamophobic thats ok?

please direct me to where i said its wrong to question sharia law or islamic boycott
would be so greatful

infact if you can quote me on this topic saying its wrong to boycott islamic countries
feel free

if that's the only way you can argue you sir are funny

edit:

if you do not agree with a country you have every right to boycott it and it doesn't matter what religion that country follows. so crying antisemitic, anti Islamic and anti christian and so forth does jack all

next time just address the the response instead of trying to be petty and acting like a fool

edit on 8-5-2013 by bodrul because: edit: to make the gentle bean happy

edit on 8-5-2013 by bodrul because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by paxnatus
Is this really news?

Apparently so.

A man who has done nothing but deny God's existence and,

He gave his opinion, and you think that is all that this Man has accomplished in his life? Try studying up on his history. Just saying.

now he is speaking out against Israel in support of the Palestinians this is "news worthy" to you? No he is not anti Semitic he is anti Christ.

Actually calm down, he is just choosing to not participate, which is his right. Anti-christ? Do you understand anything about Judaism? They call Christ a false prophet! How much more anti-christ is that?

Everyone just needs to allow people to form their own opinions. You don't have to agree with them.

I myself, I don't even bother to enter the Israel / Palestine debate because I don't give a damn about it. I care more about what is going on over here in the West, so don't even try to paint me with whatever brush I am sure you're considering to do at this very moment.

Maybe I am wrong about that last part, and please know that I am not trying to be mean. I just think that you're wrong about what you said, and hopefully you will come to realize that. People can believe whatever they choose to believe, so don't go away mad.
~$heopleNation
edit on 8-5-2013 by SheopleNation because: TypO

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest

Originally posted by dontreally
reply to post by Hopechest

Huh? He has ALS. He could have been dead any day. His living as long as he has is highly unusual.

Though nice narrative. Making a connection between his "Deathly fear" of speaking out against the Jewish cabal which controls the world, because....ohhh, it would so endanger and discredit his already highly accredited academic career.

To even think your explanation is remotely logical is a laugh..

Two words.

Mel Gibson, a highly acclaimed actor and directer himself, destroyed for speaking out against Israel.

He couldn't get a job teaching a 4th grade play nowadays unless he pays for it himself.

Umm Mel Gibson HURT his career when he got that dui, started drinking heavily again, used anti-semtic slurs at officers, and called the border patrol hispanic slurs, but he RUINED his career when his ex recorded him ranting about wishing she would be raped and then was arrested for domestic violence. Mel Gibson would of been fine if he did an interview criticizing Israel's foreign policy like normal people plus he's been in trouble in the past for bashing gay people and almost anyone who's doesn't fit into his narrow-minded view of "normal". Most Jewish people in hollywood don't care how you feel about Israel as long as you're a bankable star but after all his mishaps most people hated him and wouldn't see any movie he was in.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Why when Palestinians "resist occupation" by violent means are they then designated as heroes by the very people who have anger and contempt when Americans (rightly or wrongly) believe in resisting tyranny by similar means? I am not an advocate of the militias or domestic armies of that type, but it is interesting that they do not get a pass from the left whereas the Islamicists who believe in similar conspiracy theories, have similar views on gays, women, blacks, secularists et al, and who are---yes Professor Hawking---ANTI-SCIENCE---get no such pass.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
My experience with people who talks about the so called "Evils of Israel" tend to ignore the Islamic countries and what they do.

please direct me to where i said its wrong to question sharia law or islamic boycott
would be so greatful

infact if you can quote me on this topic saying its wrong to boycott islamic countries
feel free

if that's the only way you can argue you sir are funny

edit:

if you do not agree with a country you have every right to boycott it and it doesn't matter what religion that country follows. so crying antisemitic, anti Islamic and anti christian and so forth does jack all

next time just address the the response instead of trying to be petty and acting like a fool

edit on 8-5-2013 by bodrul because: edit: to make the gentle bean happy

edit on 8-5-2013 by bodrul because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   

If He was a real scientist he wouldnt let politics stand in the way of science and if people boycotted an islamic event like people are boycotting Israel they would be called Islamophobic. I lost all respect for Stephen Hawking.

Wow, some people here are so ... i don't have a word for that. Seriously, because the guy says he doesn't agree with what is going on in Israel (if he even said it) , you lost all respect for the man? You must not had a lot of respect for him before if this makes you lose it all. You probably even don't know what he did during his career ... all you probably know is that he is in a wheel chair and speaks with a computer voice. You may have seen him in a Simpsons episode, is that it?

And also, because the man is a scientific, he should not be allowed to speak about nothing else? He isn't a machine programmed only for science, he is also a human being. He have feelings, needs to eat, all the same things that you do need.

You must be a politics person because you gave your opinion on a politic matter, if you are not, you should stay away from politics and go back to whatever you do for a living. You are declined an opinion on the subject. (if i follow your way of thinking..)

All the religion and Anti-anything in that thread really sucks. The guy just voiced his opinion on a subject that is highly discussed on any media outlet right now. I hope you won't have trouble sleeping at night because Mr Stephen Hawking has said something that you don't like!

I personally admire the work he has made during his career. I'm also not surprised that he doesn't back-up Israel on that matter, he is an intelligent being and can see what is really going on unlike a lot of people here.

You should also note that i didn't use the word JEWS of CHRISTIANS or any religious stuff in my post so keep your little religious anger for you please. I don't care wich religion they practice or even yours. You are a good person or you are not, that's the only thing that matters.

Peace out.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by paxnatus
reply to post by buster2010

Is this really news? A man who has done nothing but deny God's existence and, now he is speaking out against Israel in support of the Palestinians this is "news worthy" to you? No he is not anti Semitic he is anti Christ.

Pax

I laughed my behind off reading this, thanks for being the stereotypical fundamentalist; +1 internetz point for you.

You'd have gotten another one if you had used the words 'heathen' or 'infidel'.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
People on here who are supporting Hawking for boycotting Israel should read this

Stephen Hawking accused of hypocrisy over Israel conference boycott
Scientist's critics say he should stop using Israeli technology in computer equipment that allows him to communicate

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
The man is not only smart but very brave as well. It used to be if you talked about aliens and ufos it was an automatic #-list demotion and low pay. Today a few more people are joining the truth movement. And if stephen hawking does not like israel that also says a lot.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
I'm surprised most of you aren't upset with the man.

He basically has one foot in the grave so now feels its ok to speak out against Israel?

You don't find it malicious that he kept quiet for all these years and waits until the end to speak out?

Guess he's smart enough to know how to work the system to his advantage until he no longer needs it.

So Hopechest? What "system" are you exactly reffering about? Is there some kind of unspoken secret agenda that silences folks until they are near being on their death bed? If so, please explain so everyone comprehends what you're implying?

Speaking of being "surprised", I am surprised that someone like yourself would even acknowledge that such a conspiracy exists? I guess you forgot your playbook today my friend? LMAO! Just playing with yuh a little.

However, Right there from the horse's mouth! Read between the lies my friends, read between the lies.
~$heopleNation

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Figured at least 'the smartest person on planet Earth' would open up a freaking history book.

So people prop up Steven Hawking, and saying "Here this justifies, my opinion of evil Israel" !

That justifies my opinion that the people who just love to vilify Israel, don't have one original thought among them.

Just repitition:

“The most brilliant propagandist technique will yield no success unless one fundamental principle is borne in mind constantly - it must confine itself to a few points and repeat them over and over.” ― Joseph Goebbels

' Those Palenstinian's are victims of evil Isreali's' over and over ad finitum.
edit on 8-5-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

Why would you have to open a history book to see what is happening today? You talk about people not having an original thought and yet you have to run to Joseph Goebbels to get a quote. You are just like all the other people that excuses what Israel does the same old blah blah blah.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiramirabilis
reply to post by Xaphan

Is this how you see your God, your Lord - your faith?

A barbaric god - for a barbaric people?

Originally posted by gladtobehere
Sometimes I cant tell if people are kidding.

Was your post meant to be silly?

Originally posted by Char-Lee
Wow how totally Christian of you.

if your not joking then you are the biggest fool there is -_-
seriously

Originally posted by buster2010
What about all the people who have the same disease but believe in God?

Sorry lol. I actually was just joking. I'm not even religious, I just wanted to see how many jimmies that would rustle.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join