It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING:Explosion At Boston Marathon

page: 103
<< 100  101  102    104  105  106 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
let me guess... the suspects will be u.s. based patriots groups that the government wants to crush?

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
What if this is what the gov.wants? People to find a new hero. And get tons of reactions?im not falling for it.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Tranny
Quick recap of the press conference.

Send us your photos.
We don’t know anything.
We are working on it.

Everything else was just babble to fill up time and sound like they were saying something. They are just there to get prime TV time with the voters to try and reassure them that they are “Working on it”. Nobody exactly know what they are working on… But they are working on it.

That is so incredibly ignorant. What else did you expect them to do?

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Just because the bombs appear to be crude/small does not mean they had to come from domestic terrorists.

Foreign terrorists would be forced to use whatever they could get access to also. They wouldn't exactly have all the discarded ordinance laying around like in Iraq to use.

Not taking credit is not odd either, they would not want to reveal their presence, obviously.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by AGR1PPA

I'm not trying to be contrary. Just sayin' - my theory makes a lot of sense when you consider the whole gun debate lately. The biggest argument people have been making against gun control is that you can hurt lots of people without using guns. The timing is just right for it. As a matter of fact, I was telling my husband a couple of weeks ago that I wouldn't be surprised if some nut or small group of nuts tries to make a point against gun control. I'm not blasting all people who are against gun control. But not everyone who is against gun control is a sane individual.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by POXUSA

What caught my attention immediately was the fact of "limbs blown off," which led me to consider a perpetrator with a grudge to bear - a terribly angry Afghan vet with missing limbs. The devices were intentionally designed so as to maim rather than to kill; to do damage to ones limbs. I think the FBI might just eventually profile in a similar manner.
edit on 16-4-2013 by POXUSA because: (no reason given)

Although a pipe bomb, placed at a low level would blow limbs off those that were closest. It would also kill outright (which some of the more explicit photos from Boston show!) I don't think these crude bombs were necessarily made by a military person.
edit on 16-4-2013 by DrHammondStoat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by TXRabbit

My guess is just as good as yours.

I agree 100%. Good assessment except I'd lean more towards Iraq vet rather than Afghani

What caught my attention immediately was the fact of "limbs blown off," which led me to consider a perpetrator with a grudge to bear - a terribly angry Afghan vet with missing limbs. The devices were intentionally designed so as to maim rather than to kill; to do damage to ones limbs. I think the FBI might just eventually profile in a similar manner.

A very good point. I did find it ironic that an event with runners would involve blowing legs off.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by zyrktec

Seems like that's already the narrative that's being pushed. I already see several ATSers drinking the Kool-Aid.

It's almost shocking how quickly we incriminate our Armed Forces as well, when the last time a U.S. Soldier was involved in any kind of home-grown terrorist attack was Major Nidal Hasan (He shot and killed a bunch of men, women, and children while yelling "Allahu Akbar!"), an Islamic terrorist indoctrinated by Anwar al-Awlaki who infiltrated the U.S. Army by posing as a psychiatrist.

Our soldiers are much more likely to kill themselves than anyone else (Soldiers make up 1% of the population, but commit 20% of the suicides).

"But yeah, it was definitely a disgruntled soldier who killed everyone. Totally. Maybe one who lost a leg or two."

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Scrolling this whole thread for the last hour and I didn't notice anybody mentioning the following; Fenway park was a mile or so away from this marathon, and there was a game there [which was cancelled] What if the bomber[s] were trying to make their way to Fenway park under guise of being runners or photographers etc but we remotely detonated the bomb near the marathon as it would have been the lesser of two evils. Am I the only one who feels like the timing on this thing was horrible if they were planning to maximize deaths at the marathon? Or maybe the timing was perfect but they were a mile or so away from their destination. Personally this feels homegrown, and by that I mean mkultra homegrown, that way the government will need more regulations and such to employ drones and taking away liberties for our "safety".

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I think this is a distraction

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by AGR1PPA
reply to post by zyrktec

Seems like that's already the narrative that's being pushed. I already see several ATSers drinking the Kool-Aid.

It's almost shocking how quickly we incriminate our Armed Forces as well, when the last time a U.S. Soldier was involved in any kind of home-grown terrorist attack was Major Nidal Hasan (He shot and killed a bunch of men, women, and children while yelling "Allahu Akbar!"), an Islamic terrorist indoctrinated by Anwar al-Awlaki who infiltrated the U.S. Army by posing as a psychiatrist.

Our soldiers are much more likely to kill themselves than anyone else (Soldiers make up 1% of the population, but commit 20% of the suicides).

"But yeah, it was definitely a disgruntled soldier who killed everyone. Totally. Maybe one who lost a leg or two."

That was touching to read .
I'm sorry man , because I too had the thoughts that maybe the perp' is military or ex-military .

Sincerely sorry

edit on 16-4-2013 by Gideon70 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thain Esh Kelch
That is so incredibly ignorant. What else did you expect them to do?

The point of a press conference is to distribute new information to keep the public informed of new developments.

If there is nothing new, then why have a press conference?
The only reason is to use the situation to get your face on the tv.

Getting the media all lined up, and getting the public’s attention to just babble to them is infuriating to me. Either say something that has relevance or shut up and get your face off my TV.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

I see what you're saying, but keep in mind the expected results of this kind of attack: To kill as many people as possible.

-If you believe in the right to keep and bear arms, killing a bunch of people will not help your cause at all; it will only hurt it, and doing so would be insane.

-If you believe in Wahhabi Islam, killing a bunch of American pigs will help your cause immensely, and bring in more young converts who see that you were successful.

Therefore, logic states that there is a higher likelihood of an indoctrinated Islamic terrorist than an insane "2nd Amendment" terrorist.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but not everyone who wants the government to keep their hands to themselves is a dirty hick with a bunch of pipe bombs in his barn and Guns & Ammo posters in his bedroom.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
This thread is so large, I may be repeating information.

I see people talking about the bombs being in trash bins...and from looking at the maps and pictures of where the explosions were and then looking at google street view...it does appear that there were large metal trash cans there. However, when you look at the pictures of after the explosions...in at least the first explosion site...I don't see them anymore.

Here is the map I used to find where the explosions were.
www.cnn.com...

And here are the google street view links that show the same green metal trash cans (and one mail box) right at the explosion sites. You'll have to copy/paste the links since they are long and have special characters in them.

Explosion Site 1: "http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Copley+Square,+Boston,+MA&hl=en&ll=42.349727,-71.078753&spn=0.000032,0.020278&sll=42.349137,-71.08089&sspn=0.004099,0. 010139&oq=copley+sq&hq=Copley+Square,+Boston,+MA&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=42.349689,-71.078867&panoid=5YI5tP2jMq3wc6kdEr_oVQ&cbp=12,338.62,,0,6.05"

Explosion Site 2: "http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Copley+Square,+Boston,+MA&hl=en&ll=42.349141,-71.080889&spn=0.000016,0.010139&sll=42.34969,-71.078866&sspn=0.001025,0. 002535&oq=copley+sq&hq=Copley+Square,+Boston,+MA&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=42.349137,-71.08089&panoid=WsVWTMrc6eWAgx3iDEhlVg&cbp=12,314.36,,0,0.31"

My only other thought is that I would think the bombs were maybe placed next to the trash bins on the side facing the street instead of inside them. They keep saying the explosion was directed towards the street and also that the bombs weren't high explosives...so I think the garbage cans could of provided some shielding and directed most of the explosion towards the street if they were placed next to them on the side facing the street. I have no clue when it comes to explosives (besides fireworks on the 4th of July), so maybe that doesn't even make sense.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   

I think we all need to sit down and analyze the (albeit still-developing) details to figure out what facts we can at this point.

I agree, but as long as it's done with facts and assertions of evidence rather than hearsay and opinion. And I think that's what you've done so I'll appreciate this post

1. The bombs were somewhat miniaturized, enough to be placed into trashcans.

We really need to know how large the trash cans were and whether they were open top or with cut out holes. We used to have open top bins in our town centre, but after previous events almost all bins in target areas around the UK have been replaced with large, lockable bins with cut out slots on the sides.

If the bins there were open top and large enough, they could have put entire back packs in there and they didn't need to be miniaturized devices.

2. The blasts were coordinated to explode within seconds of each other, when the largest amount of "recreation runners" would be crossing the finish line (not the speed runners, who usually run alone and not in large groups), and placed in areas which would cause the largest amount of civilian casualties.

I agree that there seems to have been some considerable thought to create as many casualties as possible. I'm not sure about the numbers crossing the finish line has anything to do with it, because the target was the audience and not the runners by my estimation. But like you say this could be because there would be more family and friends of the largest group of runners there to cheer them on. This just makes it even more sinister.

3. The bombs were packed with ball-bearings, BB pellets, and shrapnel; this is a now-routine tactic of the roadside bombs the Taliban use in Kabul. Their new system of attacks in Afghanistan is to utilize small bombs with large amounts of shrapnel to cause large amounts of civilian casualties without requiring Taliban fatalities (suicide bombing).

This was also the tactic of David Copeland, the young man with Nazi ideologies who murdered people in the bombing of the Admiral Duncan pub in Soho London. It's also a tactic used by the IRA in repeated bombings on the UK mainland, use by separatists in Europe, and used by white extremists across Europe too. It's also an aspect of what the killers at Columbine used in their explosive devises, unless I am mistaken.

Therefore, I think your association to the Taliban isn't actually accurate. There are plenty of other groups and individuals who have used the same materials and methods to carry out attacks. I would dare say that the style of this is MORE like a right-wing extremist than any Taliban or religious guided group, just going by historical events and the devices they have used in western countries.

4. The Boston PD has also sent out an APB for a rental van and a "man in dark clothing and a hood seen leaving the scene shortly before the blast". But here's the bombshell: "Surveillance video shows a hooded figure carrying two backpacks at about that time." (news.yahoo.com...)

I think this will be key to finding the person or persons responsible. There would have presumably been a lot of cameras around that day, with CCTV, witnesses possibly filming things in the crowd themselves, and national/global media and sports journalists. There is presumably a wealth of footage for the investigators to sift through, and I would have thought they would at least have some images of someone to chase by now.

My guess? A 25 year old man, brainwashed by a hate-filled cleric from an extremist mosque, who thinks this will make "allah" smile upon him.

I'm undecided at this point. Everything else is telling me that the location, and the fact that it was "Patriot's Day" are both important. I get that the style of one explosion after another is a hallmark of certain extremists overseas, but it's usually a lot longer than ten seconds. A gap of ten seconds and a distance like that doesn't do the what people seem to think, it doesn't fit the idea of wanting to target those responding to it. In my opinion, the timing of ten seconds is almost more likely to be planned as simultaneous, not targeting responders. If you were going to target responders, you'd have the second one maybe a few meters away, and time it for five minutes after the first. That would do a lot more than a ten second delay an a distance of a few hundred feet.

The psychology of the person is interesting to me, more because people seem to be forgetting the mentality of Breivik. His targets don't make sense in relation to his aims either.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
When I saw the headline today 25-30 have lost at least one leg, I was horrified.
But it made me wonder, not too many bleed to death and why legs. And if the bomb was powerful enough to blow legs off, yet not kill with the same force to the rest of the body.

What is really sad is this is a sport that you need your legs, and at the end of all this, legs are the greatest casualty of this tragedy.

Whoever did this is either severely mental or severely evil.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

It seems to me , the theme of the press conference was one of reassurance and you can bet your last dime that there are plenty of scared people , of all ages , out there now who will have gathered strength and reassurance from it .

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by honested3

The game wasn't cancelled it was finished before the bombs went off, I watched it on TV.

On a seperate note, I was going to post last night, but was completely in a state of shock and at a loss on what to say. Today all I feel, is vast sadness for those personally involved and extreme anger at whoever the perp(s) are. It is important that nobody leap to conclusions on who or what group is responsible, the whole thing just leaves me feeling numb. State sponsored terrorism, home grown whackjob, or false flag event, whatever the case it is sad that even animals are usually not so cruel.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by TXRabbit

My guess is just as good as yours.

I agree 100%. Good assessment except I'd lean more towards Iraq vet rather than Afghani

I don't think the position of the devices proves anything other than convenience. Where else in a crowd like that would you put them to do any other kind of physical damage? Would you hang them from a lamp post? Either way, these devices would have been at ground level or just slightly higher, so unless someone came up with some incredibly imaginative method of placing them the injuries would have been the same.

There were a lot of people standing there, and the bin, the ground, a bench, would all have created the same types of injuries.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I've read a few posts in here speculating on if it was some anti-gun control people. If it is, all the more reason to keep them away from guns. They would not be helping their case by doing something like this. They would be hurting it.
edit on 16-4-2013 by phoenixlights321 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 100  101  102    104  105  106 >>

join