It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korean Nuclear ICBM's On Standby

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Right, while I don't think "precision" strikes are as precise as they state, nor will they cut all collateral damage, I was responding the way I did to that poster because of this comment:

It would be a nice reason to make NK a sweet pock-marked sandy glassy beach. And the world would be far better off.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
The chances of miscalculation in all this are severe, not so much at leadership level but down the line amongst the brainwashed NK party apparatchiks and army officers/soldiers, the guys with the power to launch these weapons. The ones who advance through the ranks only by swearing blind allegiance to their Dear Leader under penalty of death or, perhaps even worse, under pain of disappearing to a slave camp.

They're the ones we need to worry about.

But I also worry about those who have certainty, the ones who think the N Koreans maybe only have 1 or 2 atomic bombs, of only a small yield and incapable of being placed on a missile. Because I just don't share their certainty.

The Cuban Missile Crisis taught us that we should never be certain about anything., that we should start out from the reasonable assumption that our intelligence might not be as good as we hope it is.

In 1962 the US Navy didn't know that Soviet submarines were operating with nuclear weapons on board. Those Soviet commanders thought they were being depth charged, not sounded out. We didnt know there were Soviet battlefield nuclear weapons on Cuba, primed for use against advancing US troops. And we didn't know that authority to use those weapons had already been pre-delegated to officers in the field by the Soviet leadership.

All those uncertainties the US military and political leadership thought certain. I truly think that's the position today as well.

That's what's worrying me now.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
edit double post apologies

edit on 8-3-2013 by LeBombDiggity because: edit double post apologies

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
People need to put down their video games and have a closer look at the world from a global neutral perspective, the history of the world leaders and influencal families, the history of nations, religions and empires, follow the money and have a look at who is collecting them all and causing the world-wide economical turbulence as well as ask themselves "why would they take all of our money for themselves?" and "if I had all I had ever wanted in terms of material possesions; what would I want next?".

For heavens sake.
edit on 8-3-2013 by ABeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I wonder if the US and South Korea are still going ahead whit the military joint exercise or whatever you call it. When will this be?
edit on 8-3-2013 by citizenoftheworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by smirkley
I kinda hope NK presses the button.

It would be a nice reason to make NK a sweet pock-marked sandy glassy beach.

And the world would be far better off.

You would not say that if you were most definitely in the casualty zone if such a weapon were unleashed and were actually successful and right on target. I'm most likely within the zone of the dead if they go for Washington somehow. Are you willing to wish the death of my family and I just for your conquest?

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
If their supposed ICBMs are as successfull as some of their tests have shown, then they'll nuke themselves.

Wonder what Dennis Rodman has to say about his "friend" now...

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hijinx

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz
reply to post by CaptainBeno

hey don't have ICBMs capable of carrying a nuclear device. Bluffing, and wanting an immediate ass kicking by the looks of it.

we (ordinary people) have no idea what they have or don't have. i find it highly suspicious that their missile test earlier exploded, and it isn't unfeasible to think that we took it out with a laser.

furthermore, their aggressive rhetoric is extreme, even for north korea. usually they leave themselves a way out, but "we're going to nuke you" doesn't have many loopholes.

i think they're being supplied by either russia or china on the condition that they stir up trouble.

That laser would have been where? space? Ahh yes, but that would break the treaty not to weaponize space.

space treaty

They have lasers on ships. We've shot down satalites from navy vessels with high powered lasers.

They also have lasers on planes as well.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by citizenoftheworld
I wonder if the US and South Korea are still going ahead whit the military joint exercise or whatever you call it. When will this be?
edit on 8-3-2013 by citizenoftheworld because: (no reason given)

It had already started in March, a few days ago. Baby Kim had been screaming it would attack if the excercise went ahead, and yet, it did nothing. He thought he could frighten US and S.Korea into submission and call off this annual excercise, but he lost big time.

And thus his louder screams now, for his own audience who sees kim losing his credibility, and a hungry military/masses eyeing his fat carcass now, awaiting dinner to be served....upon him.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by pslr2301

The materiel available on the foreign market will never include the newest, biggest, and baddest retained by their originating developers. So yes, we'd have access to things NK does not, of course. So does China and Russia, for that matter....etc.

After a NK launch, many things would happen (as I understand it).

U.S. Defense Support Program satellites, which sense the infrared radiation of enemy missiles rising from their launch pads, would detect the launch and feed the information to SAC.

SAC would use Satellite-mounted HELs (High Energy Lasers) to try and first thwart the missle in the pre-boost phase.

During these same few minutes, SAC would utilize the GMD (Ground-based Midcourse Defense) system in Alaska to launch interceptors (probably 3 per missile) to take it out in the midcourse phase, in case the HELs miss. (each interceptor has a kill vehicle that then launches at the missile)

If these measures failed, and the missile reached the terminal phase (descending to the target), then Patriot-like (though much improved) missile batteries and the THAAD (Terminal High Altitude Area Defense) system would be launched at the incoming missile.

Now, all that said, it isn't full-proof by any means...and the chance of success diminishes with the number of inbounds that must be defended against. Of course, during all this time, conventional cruise missiles are on the way to the launch site, as are stealth drones, fighters and bombers to take out any AA defenses.

After air superiority is achieved, more conventional aircraft and ground forces move in.
edit on 8-3-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
If N. Korea isn't bluffing and wanted to strike Seoul, there best chance would be to utilize the tunnels underneath the border.

We know N. Korea has them, we've found and destroyed some in the past. We really don't know if N. Korea has any new tunnels or not. A crude warhead or dirty bomb could be smuggled into S. Korea this way.

edit on 8-3-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by citizenoftheworld

The joint exercise is scheduled for Monday, March 11th.
SK will certainly will go ahead with these, as cancelling it would mean a lot of backfire for the new president.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom
If N. Korea isn't bluffing and wanted to strike Seoul, there best chance would be to utilize the tunnels underneath the border.

We know N. Korea has them, we've found and destroyed some in the past. We really don't know if N. Korea has any new tunnels or not. A crude warhead or dirty bomb could be smuggled into S. Korea this way.

edit on 8-3-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

N. Korea's vision is a united Korea under north rule...nuking or dirty bombing wouldn't be in their interest I wouldn't think as its akin to just sawing off the whole south and kicking it in the ocean considering the area would be unusable.
Also, I don't think they are stupid. They would have to consider fallout hitting their land should the wind start blowing north.

___

All this is, in my opinion, little Un trying to secure confidence in whatever shadow allies or posturing for the people to show that he is as strong (read: insane) as daddy. I don't think there is any intention of actually starting anything outside of rhetoric.
Worked for Dad, will work for son.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

well i have yet to see them deployed , the P missiles along the west coast or in any major city SF Oakland LA, been checking and nothing, it is about a 30 min flight form launch to impact, Obama must have a plan or a deal with China for this sys to not be deployed [yea i know , think I'm on this now , say thank you, it is not 1963 ] Or is there some secret "Star wars" RR implemented back in his day yea i know it is SDI but Star wars sounds cooler.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by concernedcitizen519

Anyone who says, "oh they don't have it" or "they can't hit us" maybe well intentioned and fairly well informed. However, to simply dismiss these threats with those appellates is not only dangerous, but stupid.

They have NO reason to threaten so strongly unless they have reason to believe they will be backed by their allies. North Korea and Iran ARE sanctioned by both Russia and China, despite THEIR rhetoric. Make no mistake about that.

Both countries have been supplying Iran and North Korea with funds, science, and knowledge (though only in piecemeal form) for a LONG time...

If not?

Then they'll be wiped off the map in short order and WW3 will be here as the alliances of the area dissolve. No empty threats in North Korea just signal flares that the end of the beginning of this major conflict has arrived.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
This would be like watching a suicide by cop scenario play out.

Only the suicidal person is a nuclear armed country and the cop is the U.S. military.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Well, fancy that - One minute I'm on ATS, the next I've wandered into a forum for experts in military strategy and foreign intelligence!

I'll just be going now...

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainIraq
Well, fancy that - One minute I'm on ATS, the next I've wandered into a forum for experts in military strategy and foreign intelligence!

And yet you have yet to give your opinion like everyone else has..relax big guy, we are just talking through situations here...we don't actually make the decisions.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainIraq

ATS, by far ,has the most qualified and knowledgeable armchair generals and desktop strategists in the world.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by rockymcgilicutty

yea well reread your article it say's a 1kt can be dialed up to 100kt with D-T know as a Dial a yield www.damninteresting.com... so yes all the is need is the mix if the mix works then you know you have the A bomb, at lest this is my understanding. they might not have the H bomb but a 20kt boosted to 100kt is just as bad in any city yea in know that anti no bomb where the 1MT then we have to worry , a nuke is a nuke 100 kt or 1 MT.or A, H, your still toasted you do know they have the W88 war head tech don't ya? and for you that can not link up the link

Consider, for example, the fact that Hiroshima was leveled by a 13 kiloton weapon, resulting in an estimated 80,000 deaths. By comparison, the modern W80 nuclear warhead-- one of the most common in U.S. active deployment-- has a maximum yield of about 150 kilotons. This weapon is so powerful that it can completely wipe out a typical medium-sized city, but at the flick of a switch, the warhead's potency can be reduced to as little as five kilotons. This handy feature is called Dial-a-Yield, and it allows nuclear stockpiles to take advantage of the one-size-fits-all approach.
and this is how the w88 got copied www.jonathanpollard.org... chking somting out bac soon

edit on 8-3-2013 by bekod because: line edit

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join