It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rand Paul Filibustering Over Drones: I Will Not Let Obama ‘Shred the Constitution’

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
cracked me up!

Stop the presses: Sen. Rand Paul eats candy bar, sips water.

Yes, Sen. Rand Paul did take a sip of water sometime into the seventh hour of his epic filibuster to block a vote on John Brennan’s bid for CIA director. Will it be the “career-ender” that it reportedly was for his colleague Marco Rubio? Likely not; however, reporters covering the filibuster found Paul’s snack quite the distraction from whatever it was he was talking about — something about the Constitution.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Rand Paul: White House not returning calls

As Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) entered the eighth hour of his filibuster of Obama CIA nominee John Brennan on Wednesday, he pleaded for an assurance from the White House that the Obama administration would not kill Americans on U.S. soil.

"I have a message here from, not from the White House, a message saying the White House hasn’t returned our phone calls," he said holding up a piece of paper shortly before 8 p.m. "If anybody knows anybody at the White House and wants to call them, we are looking for an answer from the White House.

www.politico.com...

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

I agree...he is our collective voice right now. He is addressing many of the things we rant about in these very forums.

We go on and on...just griping that no one is doing anything....well...here is some one doing something.

Bold, and in the spotlight, for all to see. Something to feel proud about for a change.

I plead with all reading this thread, to flag it, to get it the attention it deserves on ATS. Thank You....

Des

edit on 6-3-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
This may have been mentioned, I haven't read the whole thread, but just wondering about the logistics. He likely has to have a urine bag (or can he walk off the floor to go to the bathroom?). And he has to stand on his two feet if I;m not mistaken, and that takes its toll after a long time. And drinking plenty of water is very important. Besides those three things, the rest is easy (especially if you don't mind talking, which ever politician alive now doesn't seem to have a problem with).

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

I have never in my life listened to a man talk for hours, and I am still not tired of hearing
it. If he goes on all night, I will fall asleep listening. He is a hero today!

And thanks to all of those Senators who have joined him, as no doubt he could not do this
all alone. God Speed to them all!

The rules permit a senator, or a series of senators, to speak for as long as they wish and on any topic they choose, unless "three-fifths of the Senators duly chosen and sworn"[1] (usually 60 out of 100 senators) brings debate to a close by invoking cloture under Senate Rule XXII.
en.wikipedia.org...

The vote is unavailable, due to Harry Reid's oversight in filing paperwork.

I dont know about the bathroom breaks?

edit on 6-3-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
So how many here think that Obama is crapping his pants right now? This is a big slap in the face to a president gone rogue! There is a point where even those he bribed for votes will say STOP! And I think we have reached it.

I am feeling very victorious and patriotic right now.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Sen. Barrasso from Wyoming -
- Rand is on fire tonight - Thank You All
I was at my hope's end that We the People had no one standing up for us!!!! Thank You. Stand up for Rand!!

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Well if there ever was a thread to show the political ideology of ATS it is this one; please note, I am not talking Republican/Democrat divide either.

The senator for KY is holding the floor doing his job of "advice and consent" and we have people attacking him? Last I checked, there is a reason that the Senate holds this power in the delicate checks and balances set forth in the Constitution. Here is Hamilton, speaking through Federalist Paper 76 on why such was designed:

It has been observed in a former paper, that "the true test of a good government is its aptitude and tendency to produce a good administration.'' If the justness of this observation be admitted, the mode of appointing the officers of the United States contained in the foregoing clauses, must, when examined, be allowed to be entitled to particular commendation. It is not easy to conceive a plan better calculated than this to promote a judicious choice of men for filling the offices of the Union; and it will not need proof, that on this point must essentially depend the character of its administration.

This supposition of universal venalty in human nature is little less an error in political reasoning, than the supposition of universal rectitude. The institution of delegated power implies, that there is a portion of virtue and honor among mankind, which may be a reasonable foundation of confidence; and experience justifies the theory. It has been found to exist in the most corrupt periods of the most corrupt governments.

The senator has every right as one of the State's representatives to seek advice on the stance of a nominee. Up until this point, such advice has not been given and he very well cannot, in good conscience, consent to the nomination if a straight answer cannot be given.

I know we are all cynical towards politicians and their ulterior motives, but in this instance, at least some underlying questions are being asked. May it be that Senator Paul is a "shill for the PTB" or the "progressives" or is trying to score political points are sidelined in my view as of now. The White House and/or the nominee needs to answer the question posed so that proper consent can be given.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Exactly what I'm thinking. He is standing up and publicly putting a voice behind many concerns that are posted on this site yet there are people here trying to discredit him. Stop worrying about the person doing the talking, but the message that he is delivering. News of his action is starting to pop up on many news sites including the MSM. Foxnews has it on their front page. There is even a bit about it on MSNBC's mainpage. The more attention this gets and the longer the White House refuses to answer his questions, the better it will look for the people. Silence is only incriminating the people at the White House.

Oh hey how about I use a line that is spouted at people concerned about these drones, "If you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to worry about."
Answer the questions Obama.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Ok, so essentially, Rand Paul is the standing pirate of the day!

(filibuster means "pirate")

Using the filibuster to delay or block legislative action has a long history. The term filibuster -- from a Dutch word meaning "pirate" -- became popular in the 1850s, when it was applied to efforts to hold the Senate floor in order to prevent a vote on a bill.
U.S. Senate

That I did not know.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
It's catching fire, right this very moment.

Can you hear the drums?

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Sen John Barrasso is reviewing Sen Paul's letter and the questions asked.

Which during this review, it occurred to me...litmus test to military leaders and troops. Anyone else make this connection yet?

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   
What is so frustrating is the partisan politics. Back when Bush introduced the Patriot Act, Republicans were all onboard. Now Obama is just continuing the Bush legacy and now all of the sudden everyone is all worried about the Constitution.

I have a feeling that if Obama had a (R) after his name there would be a sudden change of heart in all of these histrionics.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Guys make sure you go to your state Senators' Facebook, Twitter, email, whatever you can and tell them to support Rand Paul. Let these shills know what we want for once. I just posted on Barbara Mikulski and Ben Cardin's Facebook wall. I'm also not the only one who did that either.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Wonder if good ol' Jay Carney is getting his beauty rest tonight......bet he's standing in front of the mirror, practicing his deer in the headlights look, for the next press conference.

Des

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SunflowerStar

You know, it dawned on me about an hour ago, this is not just about the drones.

The NDAA, the Fusion Centers...

It is about everything that is taking place right now, and the longer they ignore him,
the deeper he is diving. Wow, just wow!

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

When I first tuned in this afternoon, I wondered what can he talk about for so many hours, when he kept the questions so basic and simple.

Wow, is right! Knowing how touchy the drones subject is, it amazes me that ANY senator would dare stand up and ask the questions. He wants to make an informed decision.

Just yesterday he met with friends of mine, also from KY on a visit to DC. Took time out of his day and spent real time with them. Our fb like twitter is blowing up!!!

ps 10.5 hrs in!
edit on 6-3-2013 by SunflowerStar because: hrs in

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme
What is so frustrating is the partisan politics. Back when Bush introduced the Patriot Act, Republicans were all onboard. Now Obama is just continuing the Bush legacy and now all of the sudden everyone is all worried about the Constitution.

I have a feeling that if Obama had a (R) after his name there would be a sudden change of heart in all of these histrionics.

You have a very narrow view that many here don't (or never did) opposed much of President Bush's policies then as they do now. Many are new members (including myself) yet we are derided as supporting Bush? I am confused there but keep that line of thinking up and not realizing that more and more are standing against an encroaching Government and not so much the man occupying the White House.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

Yes, I too have taken to twitter, sent many out in thanks for standing with Rand,
thanking the others too. Obama, and Carney, you got nothing on us!

#StandWithRand is one of the hashtags.

and its the TOP of the trending in St Louis! Way to go St Louis!!!

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
If nothing else, at least Rand Paul is bringing, forcefully, the actions of our government to light. I hope the MSM will actually cover this in the way it deserves, not turning him into a laughing stock, or burying it under politico-babble.

Thank you Rand Paul, for TRYING. That is more than most can say.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join