It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unnecessary Police Brutality Caught on Camera in Florida as Man Surrenders

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
To anyone who might be surprised by the video.......Welcome to the United States of Cornholing. You might feel a slight pinch.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Our opinions on this incident obviously differ but I felt obligated to point out a couple flaws in your logic, feel free to point out any flaws in my logic if you find any.

That's very gracious of you, but you didn't actually point out any flaws in my logic. You stated stated your own case and used people that agree with you to back it up. I used to use that tactic in grade school.

When I look at the video I see a guy who could conceivably be reaching for something rather than making his hands available for cuffing. This was a guy that the cops had been chasing at high speeds, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that he would do something else surprising while trying to take him into custody. It's pretty simple, really.

The major flaw in your logic is that you weren't there on the ground to see what Mateo was doing with his hands and you can't tell from the video. I wasn't there either. Neither of us can say for sure whether it was justified or not. Yet, your mind is made up, based on a low quality video. The difference between our approaches to the same subject is that you are taking the role of Mateo's lawyer and I and looking at it from a judges point of view. Since the cops are the defendant in this case.. innocent until proven guilty.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I'm outraged. It seems more and more of this type of police brutality is showing up all the time. And even the cops who aren't actually involved in the beatings, are still guilty by covering up and mis-reporting events to cover their buddies asses. Fraternal Order of Police, largest gang of thugs in the world!

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
It does not help the cause when you show an edited video. If what was shown is available then the entire video is available, why isn't the whole thing being shown from the time the cop turned on his lights to the time he was placed into the police car?

When I see an edited video I think the person showing me it is hiding something and I don't believe what I'm seeing. Want my support, show it all. How do I not know he didn't use a firearm, throw something at the cop before he stopped, or hide something in his clothing? By not showing everything I have no way of making an informed decision. But I do know that I'm trying to be manipulated. If the cops broke the law then he has nothing to hide by showing the incident from start to finish.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carreau
How do I not know he didn't use a firearm, throw something at the cop before he stopped, or hide something in his clothing?

And how does any of that justify assaulting a man who is surrendering and putting his hands up as ordered? Even if he had a nuke up his bum it wouldn't justify the attack.
Typical "I didn't see the whole video" argument.
edit on 14/2/2013 by PsykoOps because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
There is a term for it
Its called
"Contempt of Cop"

when you don't comply
with their Authority
they stomp your arse...

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
This would be a non-issue if the police didn't have such a rep for being giant d-cks.

Okay sure... it is possible that the guy was going for a gun, but lets face it cops have been known to go way overboard.

Does anyone honestly think that we was going for a gun after trying to surrender? gtfo

If we can leap to that conclusion then we can certainly make the jump to maybe they were just beating him for the hell of it.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

I'm not taking the cops side and I am not justifying anything. I said an edited video is manipulation, if you're too ignorant to understand that I'm sorry for you. I gave examples of any number of events that we do not know what happened because the uploader of this video decided not to show everything.

Just because you have a prejudiced position, you have made up your mind. Let me ask you, is there anything that could have happened in the complete video that would make you change your mind? If not then there is no need for you to see it. I reserve judgement until I see it all.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Superiors will say it was justified, court case will follow, then millions of tax dollars go to the plantiff, cops will go back on duty and do it all over again, this time out of sight of the dashcam.
AKA, business as usual.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
There's no way that a high speed chase can be justification for this.

Think about it, he was on a bike. First of all, everyone who's ever had a bike, ever, has taken it over 100. It's easy and exhilarating, so we've all done it.

Here's a fact, motorcycles have license plates too. Why on EARTH would MULTIPLE police officers take a situation that is a sub-1000 pound vehicle going over 100mph, and turn it into a bike PLUS all their cars going that fast? Get his plates and send a big ticket or court summons to his house. What's he going to do on the bike, crash into a pedestrian? That's really the only risk, even if he crashed at that speed he'd only kill himself. Do any of you actually feel like your life would be "at risk" if a motorcycle went past your vehicle quickly? Even if it crashed into your car, do you really think your life would be in danger? The guy was really only putting himself at risk.

The cops greatly escalated this situation by joining in his speed frenzy. They increased the situational risk, in my opinion, by entire orders of magnitude. You went from a fast bike to a fast bike, multiple cars, sirens, traffic stoppages, etc.

In my opinion, a great deterrent for this type of behavior would be for kids like this to be greeted by a nice 700 dollar ticket in the mail a few days after their joyride. You can't run from a ticket in the mail.

Shame on these officers, Cops need to focus more on the WHY of the laws than the WHAT.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Content Deleted
edit on 14-2-2013 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by homeslice
farq, that was disgusting. Had he been running from the cops or something?

They don't want you to run, but can they blame us for running after we see videos like this.

In my opinion, he didn't run fast enough or far enough.

If I ever find myself in a similar situation, I'll keep on running until I reach a highly lit, extremely populated area. If they're gonna beat me down, at least we can give the audience a good show.

Incidents like this, where there is a clear cut and gross abuse of power, the violent officers should be placed on 8-12 weeks, unpaid suspension The case should be reviewed by unbiased officials and come to a decision to allow the criminal cops' return to work (behind a desk or on traffic duty... a meter maid would be good for them too) or place them on permanent leave and flag their file.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

Read the police report, I did. This is a clear case of police brutality.

...and people are surprised at the amount of support for Chris Dorner

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
"Get on the ground!" as guy is laying on the ground with a knee on his neck.

"Stop resisting!" as there are three cops beating him and he is curled up on the ground taking it.

These aszzholes should be fired. All of them.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

The first hit is a clear case of police brutality.
It gets a little murky on the ground though.
not sure if he can't move cuz he's being tasered or not.

In any case when that happens to you. Just lay there limply, take a beating and DO NOT RESIST.
In cases like this where there is clear evidence of brutality.
Your complete compliance will result in a nice multimillion dollar settlement.

Lucky guy.

He did not resist from what it seems he was twitching/trying to avoid being hit... He can just argue his body naturally went into 'Flight or fight' mode and obviously he cannot fight so his instinct was getting away from the threat..
I'm sure he will win the law suit but it really wont' fix anything.. Taxpayers will pick up the tab and those bastards will be back on the force in no time

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by gunshooter
Most cops are the biggest cowards out there, six to one, average odds for the common pig. Now, the guy who got arrested should give it a year or two, then hunt each one of these guys down one by one, wait till they are off duty, and beat the ever lovin crap outta them. This makes me so mad when i see this stuff. If this ever happened to me, I would certainly go all John Rambo on em.....

I have been here and this is not fun unless you manage to get a couple, what pleasure, 10 years later I'd do it again. I was just walking home when two cops yelled come here. I said I'm going home I've done nothing wrong and I don't want to talk to you. Bang crash tackled and beaten by 5 cops. I got three of em till the gun was drawn, I requested video footage to show my self-defence, the reply by the judge was the cameras are broken, no charges, case dismissed.

Rambo rocks kids.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBlackTiger
There's no way that a high speed chase can be justification for this.

Think about it, he was on a bike. First of all, everyone who's ever had a bike, ever, has taken it over 100. It's easy and exhilarating, so we've all done it.

Here's a fact, motorcycles have license plates too. Why on EARTH would MULTIPLE police officers take a situation that is a sub-1000 pound vehicle going over 100mph, and turn it into a bike PLUS all their cars going that fast? Get his plates and send a big ticket or court summons to his house. What's he going to do on the bike, crash into a pedestrian? That's really the only risk, even if he crashed at that speed he'd only kill himself. Do any of you actually feel like your life would be "at risk" if a motorcycle went past your vehicle quickly? Even if it crashed into your car, do you really think your life would be in danger? The guy was really only putting himself at risk.

The cops greatly escalated this situation by joining in his speed frenzy. They increased the situational risk, in my opinion, by entire orders of magnitude. You went from a fast bike to a fast bike, multiple cars, sirens, traffic stoppages, etc.

In my opinion, a great deterrent for this type of behavior would be for kids like this to be greeted by a nice 700 dollar ticket in the mail a few days after their joyride. You can't run from a ticket in the mail.

Shame on these officers, Cops need to focus more on the WHY of the laws than the WHAT.

Whether or not he was putting anyone else at risk is unrelated.. The situation was under control already
Reminds me of this high speed chase where the only risk are the officers trying to pit this driver off the road.. He was obviously a good driver and wouldn't have wiped out, but they kept fueling the fire.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 14-2-2013 by Redwhiteandblue because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by cripmeister

Read the police report? written by whom? the police? a report is only as truthful as the person who writes it.

I would rather SEE what happened as opposed to someone writing what happened.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

I did not see one shred of evidence in that video that the perp. was pulling anything with his left hand, it is clear to me that he removes his hand from the handlebars and drops them below waist (as normal for gaining balance) and then they go straight up in the air, palms facing the police. Idk how you could see different IMHO, if the police did not find a weapon on him, then how would they be able to explain what he was tugging on? or trying to get out of his waist band.
Because a person speeds, on a vehicle designed to cruise at speed over 100mph, gives no jurisdiction for police to use brutal force. The man never hurt anyone, or infringed on anyone's right. They arrested him for breaking traffic laws, which are the lowest form of all laws. How can you punish someone for making a vehicle go faster than what is allowed, if the vehicle allows the person to? Now if he was running from the police cause he just committed an armed robbery, or beat up a 5 year old prostitute for not having change for a $10, then ok I understand. But in no right sense of mind should it be justified to gang tackle a person with excessive force, numbers, and death threats. A wise cop would have not gotten out of his vehicle until he is off his bike, used his door as a shield, and requested for the perp. to get on the ground. If he runs on foot...Well the cop knows he has 5 other shower pals right behind him with loaded guns and police cars.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

Hi there! could you answer me a few questions as id like to try and understand your way of thinking. Did the bike rider actually have a gun on him? And if not then what reasons do you believe the motorbike rider to have to reach down with strong force? You see my logic? If he had no gun then he would have no reason to reach down, which tells me that either the cops are lying or that he was simply protecting himself because he was getting beat the F up.

There is just no reason that 3 fully grown adult males cannot wait a few minutes (while the suspect was down on the ground with for someone who just practically got karate chopped in the throat and knocked to the ground to catch his breath so he can understand wtf is going on and follow orders.

Btw.. I dont know if it was you or someone else who said "the cops told him to get on the ground, he should have got on the ground", but i count like half a second between getting off the bike and getting bruce lee'd to the ground. I doubt with flashing lights and people screaming at you with a mega-phone that you could understand and follow orders.

He was doing the first thing that would come to the mind of people who want to surrender. He put his hands in the air.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join