It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unnecessary Police Brutality Caught on Camera in Florida as Man Surrenders

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+117 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Here is yet another example of police brutality being caught on camera. In this incident the police pull over a motorcyclist after a high speed chase and he immediately dismounts off the bike and puts his arms in the air and surrenders. The police proceed to beat the crap out of him and accuse him of resisting. In my opinion it is quite clear that the man is not resisting, at the very least he may not have appreciated being tackled while standing in a non threatening position.

The article that describes this video is a bit biased, but can you blame them?

Collier County Sheriff officials said they had no choice but to viciously beat a motorcyclist even though the dash cam video shows him standing there with his hands raised waiting to be handcuffed.

But despite the obvious evidence against the deputies that they abused their authority, the mainstream media is taken the typical “he said, she said” routine in order to keep on the good side of the sheriff’s office.

But we shouldn’t expect anything else from them.

www.photographyisnotacrime.com...

Here is a portion of a local news report on the story...

Falconi says when he surrendered he put his hands up in the air, he says Deputy Robert Lewis then punched him in the face and tackled him to the ground-- putting a gun to his head and threatening to kill him.

He says Lewis and other deputies continued to beat and taze him despite the fact that he had surrendered.

Falconi shared a portion of the dash cam video--he says it is proof that deputies used unnecessary force against him.

www.nbc-2.com...

Personally, I am sick and tired of constantly coming across numerous acts of police brutality on innocent people who are undeserving of their punishment. These "bad apples" are giving LEO's across North America a bad name and the more I see videos like this I wonder which percentage of LEO's are actually "bad apples".

It's clear that police forces across North America are becoming more and more violent, I am glad technology allows us to catch these thugs...it's too bad that it's very rare that these criminals with a badge get the justice that they truly deserve.

The ironic thing is that it's usually there technology such as the dash cam that catches these acts.

Now bring on the chants of "he deserved it, he was resisting arrest"

edit on 2/14/2013 by Corruption Exposed because: added local news story and acknowledged high speed chase

+54 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Just some advice for motorcyclists , Always wear your helmet, boots , body armour, gloves etc

edit on 14-2-2013 by 12voltz because: of bad spelling

+52 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

The first hit is a clear case of police brutality.
It gets a little murky on the ground though.
not sure if he can't move cuz he's being tasered or not.

In any case when that happens to you. Just lay there limply, take a beating and DO NOT RESIST.
In cases like this where there is clear evidence of brutality.
Your complete compliance will result in a nice multimillion dollar settlement.

Lucky guy.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
farq, that was disgusting. Had he been running from the cops or something?

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Way back when I took martial arts, we were taught to fight from the hands in the air position.

Usually it does mean surrender. I wonder what happened to the police?

+32 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by homeslice

Yes, it was a high speed chase...

www.nbc-2.com...

In my opinion it does not justify the beating he took as he clearly surrendered.

ETA:

I edited my OP to acknowledge that there was a high speed chase that lead up to this altercation.
edit on 2/14/2013 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

+41 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by homeslice
farq, that was disgusting. Had he been running from the cops or something?

Does it matter?

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
There is not nearly enough context to determine whether the use of force was justified.

1. I'm going to guess the guy wasn't pulled over for a broken turn signal.

2. He should have let the cops cuff him when on the ground, but it does look like he was resisting that. For all they know he is reaching for a weapon.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

Well I think it does a little - If he put other peoples life at risk by being involved in a high speed chase he shouldn't expect to be treated nicely when the cops finally catch him. The takedown and beating was very excessive though.

But I imagine as he was running in the first place nothing will come of this.

+56 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

In any case when that happens to you. Just lay there limply, take a beating and DO NOT RESIST.

When people are punching you it's kind of hard to lay limp.

+49 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Humans have defense reflexes, or are they illegal too?
Why was the first attack to his throat? Were they trying to kill him too?
edit on 14-2-2013 by hadriana because: (no reason given)

+50 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zarniwoop
There is not nearly enough context to determine whether the use of force was justified.

1. I'm going to guess the guy wasn't pulled over for a broken turn signal.

2. He should have let the cops cuff him when on the ground, but it does look like he was resisting that. For all they know he is reaching for a weapon.

He had several officers on top of him, he was restrained. There was absolutely no excuse for the kicks and punches that he received.

Police are trained to restrain people, it's their job...since when was a good old fashioned beat down part of detaining a suspect?
edit on 2/14/2013 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

+52 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Most cops are the biggest cowards out there, six to one, average odds for the common pig. Now, the guy who got arrested should give it a year or two, then hunt each one of these guys down one by one, wait till they are off duty, and beat the ever lovin crap outta them. This makes me so mad when i see this stuff. If this ever happened to me, I would certainly go all John Rambo on em.....

+59 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
It's weird how people go on about if people "deserve" a beating......... um..that's not due process. Leave the USA if you believe in that form of justice you usurpers.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

He had several officers on top of him, he was restrained. There was absolutely no excuse for the kicks and punches that he received.

From the police report...

Mateo raised up his right Arm by his head but pulled his left underneath his torso with all his might as if to be reaching for something in his waistband.

"if" that statement is accurate, and it looks from the video it might be, then the punches were justified.

After reading the police report, I can understand why the cops were a little bit on edge, as he was racing at speeds of over 100mph, running red lights, etc. Now, that crime doesn't justify the punches and taser, but its is helpful context. He was putting multiple lives in danger.

+48 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
"Stop resisting!" Police lingo for "Now I can kick the s&%t out of you because there is reason for witnesses believe that you are resisting."

They'll walk away scott free.
edit on 14-2-2013 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

+46 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

From the police report...

I find it difficult to take the word of career criminals (the police in this video).

Did you not see the video?

+43 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by WaterBottle

My thoughts exactly. The 'bandwagoners' I'll call 'em for simplicity. We all know them; they're the ones who will come screaming that a 'beat down' never hurt anyone and that cops sometimes get 'emotional' and just have to vent, yada yada yada.....

There's a certain level of human decency we should all uphold if we're to keep our moral right to call ourselves human, and sometimes that means being decent to a complete monster. How do you think a judge (who has children) feels when a paedophile is brought into his court room and sits there smiling? He probably wants to beat the guy with his gavel, but he restrains himself through a respect for the law and a principle he swore to uphold - all men are born equal. Each man deserves a trial first, no matter the allegations and actions he's partook in. Then we can mete out the punishment. When that happens the accused are stripped of their humanity anyway. Their humiliation is complete - when people act like these cops it humiliates everyone and makes a mockery of everything we have done as a moral people. Shame unto them, fools always persist in their folly.

+39 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

Obviously you have no idea what you are talking about, and you should get educated before you comment on something you know little about. The suspect gets taken down when he is obviously surrendering. This is called "Police-brutality" not sure where you are from, but that's what they call it where I am from. An officer is supposed to use the force necessary force to control the situation. Ever heard of the use of force ladder, here, I'll do the leg work for you..... www.ehow.com... this should make it plain as day as to why they are very much in the wrong.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join