It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unnecessary Police Brutality Caught on Camera in Florida as Man Surrenders

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zarniwoop
There is not nearly enough context to determine whether the use of force was justified.

1. I'm going to guess the guy wasn't pulled over for a broken turn signal.

2. He should have let the cops cuff him when on the ground, but it does look like he was resisting that. For all they know he is reaching for a weapon.

There is NEVER a time when this is justified. EVER.

Police are not executioners or "punishers".

End of discussion.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Upholding the law is not a pretty business. We DO NOT know the whole story regarding this situation. High~Speed chase raises Spockian eyebrows to me... As in up to no good.

Incendiary devices were not deployed so I give this biker the benefit of the doubt. The push back of authority on this site is unbelievable. And I'm a Dormer fan.

Unpopular view here on this site, going by YOUR feedback. But, hey, what should I expect???

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carreau
reply to post by cripmeister

Read the police report? written by whom? the police? a report is only as truthful as the person who writes it.

I would rather SEE what happened as opposed to someone writing what happened.

Why would the officer leave out something that might help him steer clear of any wrong doing? That doesn't make sense. I suggest you read the report.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
"Stop resisting!" Police lingo for "Now I can kick the s&%t out of you because there is reason for witnesses believe that you are resisting."

They'll walk away scott free.
edit on 14-2-2013 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

Exactly! I was jumped from behind by two younger police officers for j-walking (no joke) one night on my way home after a night out on the town. As the officers pinned me up against a fence, they smashed my face against it and continued to punch me in the kidneys. The whole time they were yelling "stop resisting" and had two witnesses standing there willing to testify against me for "resisting arrest"...ridiculous.
A total abuse of power in my opinion.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by WaterBottle

Your comment was so amazing i had to shower afterwords.

Thanks.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by guymontag

There is not nearly enough context to determine whether the use of force was justified.

2. He should have let the cops cuff him when on the ground, but it does look like he was resisting that. For all they know he is reaching for a weapon.

End of discussion.

Exactly.

"He should have let the cops cuff him when on the ground"...

Ok by that comment I assume you have never had a run in with a police officer. EVERYONE will resist when a knee is being stuck in the back of your neck. EVERYONE would move and squirm when a 200+lb grown man is kneeling on your skull. All you have to do is friggin twitch and they will start beating the living crap out of you claiming you were "resisting". I dunno what kind of "rainbows and unicorns" land you live in.. but as guymontag pointed out, there is NEVER a time when police brutality is justified.

Their job is NOT to dish out punishment. Their job is to get the suspect into custody. Period. They are not the judge. They are not the jury. It's people who carry this "well hey we don't know what happened before" attitude that let these cops get away with this BS.

Many years ago, I watched my friend get abused by a cop. Why? Because we were "smart mouth" teenagers. We were at a park at night. Didn't know it was a private park (was by a marina). I kept my mouth shut, my friend did not. He decided to question the officer. How dare he! Poor officer didn't like having his authority questioned and decided to take my friend to the ground. After a few solid kidney shots and a knee to the head... THREE TIMES.. he arrested my friend and took him to jail for the night. All because he asked "why can't we be here"?

But I guess he deserved it because how dare he question a cop. Right?

I don't hate all police. My father was a cop for 25 years. A few of my friends are cops. I hate BAD cops. I hate these power hungry bullies who give the GOOD cops a bad name. And I think its high time that all law enforcement hiring get a major overhaul.

-edit-

My reply was not to you guymontag... I just quoted your text. Hope it doesn't come across that way.

edit on 14-2-2013 by DerekJR321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
all these people saying just to take it. It is very difficult to do that. A few years ago my older dog got into it with my new puppy. Even though he was scared and crying he was fighting my other dog off as much as he could even though he knew it was futile.. just survival instincts we all have them

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
reply to post by homeslice

Yes, it was a high speed chase...

www.nbc-2.com...

In my opinion it does not justify the beating he took as he clearly surrendered.

ETA:

I edited my OP to acknowledge that there was a high speed chase that lead up to this altercation.
edit on 2/14/2013 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

There are a lot of high speed chases that have been caught on video that end this way. A big thing people don't understand is how much of an adrenalin rush you get from these kinds of situations. That guy on a motorcycle put lives at risk so it's understandable to be furious with him. I don't believe violence stopped anything. considering the cop got him to pull over and he was clearly surrendering. I rather see cameras put on all police cars and mounted on the officers than drones being used over USA soil. Big correction to society is policing the people in a position of power as well. Your job title should not exempt you from the laws which govern the people.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Your average person will resist being beaten, therefore, resisting arrest will always be on the list of charges. And I think any reasonable person's natural reaction would be to fight off such an attack. Whether it is the Police or otherwise. Common sense people. I hope he sues the # out of those cops and takes their paycheck and their jobs.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Seems there is a miscommunication about the use of force by a police officer. If a suspect starts punching you, you have the right to knock his teeth it. If a suspect is running at you with a gun or knife and he doesn't show any will to comply, you have the right to shoot him. If a suspect is resisting arrest without harm to you, pepper spray. There are a means to and end for all situations that permit. Two or three guys laying into a guy on the ground who is no longer a threat is #ing absurd. To think so means I can lay into you if I felt the need to do so because I have unchecked aggression.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tancred

Your average person will resist being beaten, therefore, resisting arrest will always be on the list of charges. And I think any reasonable person's natural reaction would be to fight off such an attack. Whether it is the Police or otherwise. Common sense people. I hope he sues the # out of those cops and takes their paycheck and their jobs.

Broad brushing all arrests is a bit ridiculous.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by guymontag

End of discussion.

If anything they are glorified dog catchers. Their job is to take the drunk, disorderly and dangerous and put them in a cage. And I think the Human Society probably treats the animals they catch better than the cops do in the US. Gotta wonder about that, people have lost every shred of compassion for their fellow man. Yet we will show animals more decency. Society hangs by a thread, I think we all know that. It wont take much to turn neighbor against neighbor.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by crohny

Common sense dictates you will not want to get your face smashed in for whatever reason.
2nd line.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Looked to me like cop one was mashing his face into the ground after the punch, which is why he was moving. Disgusting display here by the boys in blue. I think I say that way too often these days....
edit on Thu, 14 Feb 2013 20:57:59 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by rival
I've seen this many times...

Protecting yourself from violent attack becomes "resisting arrest."

If you get punched in the face and stomach your first instinct is NOT to lie still and
place your hands behind your back...in fact that would be nearly impossible.

LEO's wanting to exact some "instant justice" know this.

This tape shows them putting it into action.

When the smoke clears the tape will show the perp resisting....and the police will be exonerated

edit on 14-2-2013 by rival because: (no reason given)

You're probably right ! Plus, if the cop hits an old couple during the chase, and they end up dying, the perp is charged with their murder, not the cop. Even though that cop wasn't smart enough to cut the chase off by then.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I wonder if cops are getting more aggressive because of all these police killings and may be now even the cops are becoming paranoid.

Either way or whatever their reasoning doesn't justify that beating at all.

-SAP-

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   
For all those that would like to contact the Sheriff's department to show your extreme disdain for how the officers treated this American citizen who is innocent until proven guilty in court....

Here's the Sheriff's email: [email protected]

For the Professional Responsibility Bureau: [email protected]

Here is the LINK to the above emails and the rest of the contact information for the Collier County Sheriff's Department.
edit on 2/14/13 by SmoothRhythm because: fixed link

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Absolute bs. Might as well just keep running

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by alienjuggalo

Absolute bs. Might as well just keep running

It is probably why he did keep running. had he kept going they would have just shot him

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   

OMG this is just getting stupid and people couldn't understand why i was saying it wasn't ok to just burn the cottage down with dorner in it.
Wothout that video evedence the police could have lied through there teeth and would have gotten away with that.
This is why we need to make sure everyone obeys the law not just us pleb's the police and politio s also need to obey the same laws

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join