It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pastor to waitress: I GIVE GOD 10% WHY SHOULD I GIVE YOU 18%?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I'm not all roses. I cussed out a white supremacist that kept leaving his propaganda/recruitment stickers in the men's room while standing in the doorway. He responded in kind along with a few racial epitaphs while advancing towards me. I withdrew the chef's knife I had behind my back and reminded him that pissing off people that cut meat for a living is a bad idea since we have seen it all before.

He backed down and politely asked if he could leave now. I said so long as you don't come back in the store. He agreed politely to not return.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

You have to tip man. Most of these service jobs they don't get paid much. At that restaurant the woman that didn't get tipped only made 3.50 an hours! So consider that next time. Waitresses and waiters don't even make min wage. Also delivery drivers.. gotta tip them they wear their cars out and pay crazy gas money to bring that food to you.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

They only charge that large gratuity when it is a party of like 8 or more. Also judging by how small that bill is I would say they had a large party that just sit and sipped drinks the whole time. So she was losing money by not having more people buying food and she was prob working her ass off refilling drinks.

I don't think people should have to tip a lot, and I hate it when they sneak in a gratuity and want you to tip on top of it, but I think this is a case of a large party. They have to charge it for those because if they don't tip the waiter not only lost that tip but lost out on the tips of who else could have set there and weren't able due to the large party.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I make it a point not to go to establishments that automatically add a gratuity.
I usually tip more than they would take but that's my decision.
It's as if we weren't allowed to exercise charity on our own because that might make someone else have to give good service before getting it.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by iwilliam
I admit that despite my (pro, favorable) stance on tipping, I also really dislike when a gratuity which should be partially based on quality of service is made mandatory. However, in the case of large parties it's somewhat understandable.

I agree. However, I would say that I can absolutely understand; rather than somewhat understand. Imagine this: you are a waiter and you are assigned to 5 tables for your shift. If you have 5 tables, each with a party of 4, then you can possibly absorb the impact of getting stiffed on the tip by one of those tables. However, when your 5 tables are combined together to accommodate for a party of 20 (as is what occurred in the OP story), then your entire night of work (and your livelihood) may come down to what that group tips or doesn't tip.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

You lead an interesting life, it seems.
I don't understand the confusion regarding tips though. You give a tip as a respectful gesture toward those who have spent their time and energy to give you a pleasant dining experience. The government has seen fit to mandate such gestures in order to ensure the satisfaction of all parties involved. What's there to argue about?

Now, addressing the pastor's behavior...that, to me, is the most interesting part of the whole ordeal. Anyone can be rude and inconsiderate. But to my understanding, a pastor should be the least likely to exhibit such an apathetic personality. It's the way the message was sent, more than anything, that really catches my attention. There's a difference between polite refusal and a proverbial slap to the face.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

Don't go out to eat unless you can afford to tip the 25% for the expected level service.

So, you are saying that we don't deserve to eat out at a restaurant, unless we are willing to spend more on the meal, than the meal actually costs?

Why do they even bother including prices in the menu, if they aren't inaccurate?

By your logic, the restaurants are guilty of fraud for misrepresenting their prices.
edit on 1-2-2013 by ErtaiNaGia because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Society has an idea that in services, the server automatically gets a tip of 15% or higher regardless of how he/she does at serving. Gratuity circumvents the need to give good service. Still, one has the option of never going back.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ErtaiNaGia

I suggest you eat fast food. It's cheap, but you get what you pay for....and you know what they say, "you are what you eat"

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by LeatherNLace

I suggest you eat fast food. It's cheap, but you get what you pay for....and you know what they say, "you are what you eat"

It's Extortion.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I'm a big tipper; perhaps even extravagant. For the bartender, barmaid, waitstaff etc. When you get known for generosity; the benefits of free drinks and "I get off in 30min." more than compensates for the tips.

Karma favors the bold.

In a way I feel sorry for the stingy, emotionally constipated people. Greed can make you physically as well as mentally sick!!
edit on 1-2-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by LeatherNLace

I would much rather be prime steak than processed soy.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

I'm a big tipper; perhaps even extravagant. For the bartender, barmaid, waitstaff etc. When you get known for generosity; the benefits of free drinks and "I get off in 30min." more than compensates for the tips.

Karma favors the bold.

The process of mandatory tipping is Extortion, it's a protection racket for your food.

IT is false advertising of prices.

IT is paying the servers basically nothing to save costs, and expecting the "Guest" to foot the rest of the servers wages that the company is too cheap to foot themselves because they want the "Illusion" of lowered prices.

The whole thing is a lie.

"I get off in 30min."

That's not karma... that's prostitution.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ErtaiNaGia
reply to post by olaru12

"I get off in 30min."

That's not karma... that's prostitution.

Where did I mention sex? You sound frustrated?

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Allow me to clarify for that other member - you pay extra so they can get off in 30 minutes and have a drink with you, then hopefully go back to your place. Everyone who is single does it. No need to be ashamed.

But again, that's not tipping in the sense we're discussing. You bought extra drinks off the bartender (for a possibly cheaper price depending on the tip) and you indirectly purchased an interesting session with an attractive waitress. We're talking tipping as in the laying down of money in direct acknowledgment of the services rendered during your meal.
edit on 1-2-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Where did I mention sex?

"I get off in 30min."

Explain what that means, then.

You sound frustrated?

Oh, you are absolutely right... I never get laid, because I speak out against tipping on Internet Forums.

Actually, the real reason that I never get laid, is because I just disagreed with you.

Nice try... seriously sub par response.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   

So, you are saying that we don't deserve to eat out at a restaurant, unless we are willing to spend more on the meal, than the meal actually costs?

Originally posted by Golf66
My bottom line is this:

The above is the line before the one you quoted from my post. What I mean is that this is my bottom line - meaning if I have $100.00 to spend on my meal I will only order $75.00 worth of items the rest if set aside for service. If I can eat there for $75.00 I it's in my budget. If not I'll choose another, cheaper place. These are my guidelines for me...

While, I think people should tip 25% for satisfactory service it is ultimately up to you what it is worth. Personally, when I go to a restaurant that I frequent the servers to fight over where I will sit - they jostle for position and rush to meet me at the door.

I always, get excellent service, since they know I am going to tip them well.

That is worth it to me to go to a place that knows our drink orders and appetizer preferences as family, greets us by name and thanks us for our patronage. We sometimes get offered free deserts and drinks. When that happens I add what the drinks or free desert would have cost to the tip because I can afford it and appreciate the gesture. People remember me and treat me right - I am willing to pay for that.

You are free to do as your wish of course.

Why do they even bother including prices in the menu, if they aren't inaccurate?

Are you from Europe?

In America, tips are never included in the menu price, all Americans know this - they also know that wait staff are taxed on 8% of their meal receipts regardless of the tip left but that their hourly wages don't meet that threshold so if you don't tip they are basically working for free.

We also know that the wait staff have to give a portion of their tips to the bartender and the bus staff for their part in making things pleasant. I never have to wait for a table the wait staff will get one cleaned post haste if they see us come in. They know it matters to me and they will be rewarded.

Well, I guess in some situations, large parties etc., some restaurants add a gratuity; it is less than I will tip anyway but I dislike the assumption.

However, I realize when I read your post that it is to protect their staff from getting stiffed by people who should stick to Taco Bell.

So perhaps it shouldn't bother me; I resent the presumption of poor tipping none the less.

edit on 1/2/2013 by Golf66 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/2/2013 by Golf66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I'm a big tipper as well - Usually, I pay 25% (rounding to the nearest dollar).

My reasoning for this is simple: if I were in there position, there's a good chance that someone like this pastor skimped them on the tip. I've seen people (including my parents) get impatient when their appetizer comes after the meal, or when getting refills take forever.

There were plenty of times I should've gave them a lower tip. One time, it took more than 2 hours for my GF & my food to arrive. The waiter repeatedly came back to let us know on the delay of food, and eventually, it came. His tip? 25%, because we spent those 2 hours doing what couples do best in a restaurant: Being "cute"

Bear in mind, I probably have less money than that pastor - but I know that the waiters & waitresses have less than I do, so I don't mind giving them a smile on the rare occasions I eat out.

-Fossilera

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

You are free to do as your wish of course.

You are implying that I am not, actually.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by fossilera

I'm a big tipper as well - Usually, I pay 25% (rounding to the nearest dollar).

I know exactly what you mean.... this is why I always include an additional 25% gratuity when I pay my taxes...

Otherwise, I risk poor service from the Government.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join