It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pastor to waitress: I GIVE GOD 10% WHY SHOULD I GIVE YOU 18%?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by iwilliam
Oh, and since they had the audacity to fire her for highlighting this guy's poor excuse for being cheap and heartless online, I guess I won't eat at applebees again.

Which other chain restaurants are owned by this corporation? I know there are a few.....

I can't believe they fired her, that sucks.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by lupodigubbio

This is like comparing apples to wombats. Tithing a percent of our earnings to the church is in no way similar to calculating an adequate tip based on the complexity of our meal.

I agree with Tuttle though. It should be the responsibility of the employer to pay the waiters/waitresses a fair wage to begin with. A tip should be just that - a little something extra in appreciation for good service, neither required, nor predetermined. As customers, we are there to purchase a meal, not pay the help. In spite of that, I still tip accordingly.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by iwilliam

Oh, and also... that one where the single mom tried to opt-out was pretty bad, too.

That woman had the money for a $140 restaurant bill, but couldn't afford a tip? Maybe she should have eaten slightly less, so that the woman working hard to give her service could get paid fairly for her work.

Again, I think 18% in some situations is a bit too much. And there is a big difference (especially if you're struggling) between a $140 bill, and a $165 bill. But the lady could have coughed up $10 or something, at least.

It's better to give / get a small tip, than no tip.... which I think some people don't understand (which really shows how unable they really are, to put themselves in their server's position.) The exception to this is if the tip is so menial it could be seen as insulting. For example, giving 25 cents on a bill of 19.75. Some servers would find that mildly insulting.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by signalfire
I hope this 'pastor' has their face posted all over the place and can never eat out ever again for fear of 'inclusions' in the meal....

Her photos are already posted. Just Google the name on the receipt (Pastor Alois Bell).

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
LOL, being a so-called pastor or christian has nothing to do with the conversation really.

She is just CHEAP and trying to self-justify.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
They fired the waitress? Talk about insult to injury. I'd be so pleased if Applebee's ends up losing major PR points as a result of this.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I personally have to agree with most everything Mr. Pink says in Reservoir Dogs. I think it's crap that we tip certain people. I mean why don't we tip the doctor performing open heart surgery? I'm much more concerned with that than how fast my burger gets to me. I just hate the fact that society decides there's certain jobs we must tip for. I get that waitresses make less than minimum wage and that's crap and should be fixed. I don't support that at all but it's stupid that I should have to pick up the slack.

Having said all that I tip very well. I'd say I usually tip between 18-30%, maybe more depending on the context. If I'm out with my friends and only order a beer a two, but take up that waitresses booth for two hours I try to make it up to her and that tip would be a very large percentage of the total bill. Personally I would be outraged if I saw a tip already calculated in. I can understand where the outrage from the pastor is coming from because as someone said earlier tips are now an entitlement and not a reward for hard work and doing a little more. I guess for me it's more the principal that I don't like being told to do something more than anything.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by DocHolidaze

tips make the world go round, those servers make up a large work force all around the world, u put money in there pocket and they put that money into the economy. not to mention if a server knows the tips come steadily in the future you may just get a couple kick backs and special treatment. its almost like karma in money form

The money I would save from not paying the service tax would also be put back into the economy so your argument does not make any sense.

There is also another name for "kick backs" and "special treatment", its called corruption.

Regardless though, I just simply will not be guilted into paying a tax, which by the way the waitress will not see, simply because some multi million dollar corporation does not pay there staff very well.

I wonder if when in the future these menial jobs are replaced by robots shall we be paying a "robotic maintenance upgrade tax" ?

Probably, and fake moralists like yourself will probably tell me thats what makes the world go round.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by 321equinox

The whole and TRUE concept about tithing is not about 'giving to God'. He does not need such weath....AT ALL.

It was only meant as social expenditure to help the COMMUNITY to progress and evolve back at ancient times, akin to current day taxes for education, health, security, economy, etc.

10% is the minimum in the olden days, but only upon those who have such funds to spare, to SHARE. Paying just 10% does not and had never meant that your obligations to the our common Creator's children is done, but rather, if you have more, you should reflect upon yourself and necessary needs, help those who have less, so as to build up a harmonious society.

Looking at the world today, we mankind, most of us, had failed to understand such concepts, and worse, imposters in collar not only failing the teachings, but had sought to get the waitress fired, if the MSM report is true.

Tips in modern society is NOT mandatory. You do not need to give. It is only volunteerily given, regardless if the service is good or bad.

Most often, it is good service that one tips. But anyway, if one has a problem, and cannot give, nevertheless, most waitress will look the other way, if he/she has a heart, such those whom are poor, have many kids, are pregnant, unemployed, etc. These folks need not feel guilty, but if they had been treated kindly, to remember the service staff, and when one day is better off, to help them back.

Waitressing job do not pay well, simply because of the competition and critically, the need to keep food prices low and affordable for all, thus the low pay. But if the food, ambient and sevice is good, never be a miser, for no matter how much you can save, nothing beats the full satisfaction of a 'good' meal, not only for the tummy, but for the soul. Money can always be earn back, but joyful moments are few and far in between.

TIpping also gives encouragement to the staff, that they are on the right track, for it will be because of QUALITY, and had been that which sets USA aparts from other nations.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by jaydub911

I can tell you have never worked in the food and beverage industry. As a career bartender in Chicago I can tell you this. I make the state minimum wage for tipped employees which is 4.85 per hour. This is money that I never see and all my checks come as VOID because the money goes to taxes.

I do not work to bring food or pour a beer, my job is to entertain people, engage them, make them feel better about there day or night. Tip me well and Ill be your best friend, Ill be excited the next time you come in, Ill shake your hand and remember your name, Ill listen to what you have to say and offer you some old fashioned advice and Ill make sure you get a free drink every once in a while. I love people and despite my education, this is what I choose to do because I love it.

Leave me no tip however, good luck getting your next drink. T.I.P.S. = To insure proper service. Tipped employees do not make minimum wage without tips in America and most need those to get by so do me an all the other restaurant employees out there a favor, if you don't plan on tipping, can't afford it or don't believe in it. Eat your meals and drink your busch light at home.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Helious

Or just get the food to go... Like Im going to start doing

after seeing all this crap

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Helious

I do not work to bring food or pour a beer, my job is to entertain people, engage them, make them feel better about there day or night. Tip me well and Ill be your best friend, Ill be excited the next time you come in, Ill shake your hand and remember your name, Ill listen to what you have to say and offer you some old fashioned advice and Ill make sure you get a free drink every once in a while. I love people and despite my education, this is what I choose to do because I love it.

Your a prostitute?

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
What!!?? A pastor can't give tips??...

Oh guys.. please leave the pastor alone, they could only afford tax free 200k Mercedes Benz, robe made from expensive silk and Gold chains from what the church pays them.

Cut thm some slack... poor pastor.
edit on 2/1/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I don't begrudge tipping and I tip well for good service. Although I have seen plenty of restaurant menus that say "A gratuity of 18% will be added to parties of 8 or more" I have never seen one that simply adds a tip in, as this one from Appleby's does.

I question that. A tip is of my choosing, not the retaurant's. I can see getting a little bristly over that assumption. Obviously the pastor over-reacted, but I see the basic point here. The restaurant was being presumptuous.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Tuttle

Basically yes, while I don't perform any sexual favors I have in the past and will in future pretend to be a democrat or republican to suite my guests wants for conversation. I even pretend to like basketball though I detest it and I actually follow it closely so I can have an intelligent discussion with my regulars that love the game.

Doing what I do is a hard job, you have to be a different person every hour of the day, you have to be the best friend to people who are very different and also, intoxicated. It's not easy and it's not for everyone but when your good at it, you can make quite a bit of money.

As long as you work at the right place. Applebees is not one of them.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
The pastor that started all of this with a hard working woman.Not management a the ticket was addressed toward her.
Need's to compensate the poor waitress for loose of her job.
It's the christian thing to do seeing a how she is responsible.

My wife was a waitress at shoney's here in Kentucky.She made 2 dollar's a hour + what tip's she got there wasn't mandatory tips on the bills unless you had a party or some sort.
One day she waited on 6 people never one complaint they even said thank you to her when she handed them the check ect.
But when she picked up the cash which was a exact amount of the bill.It also had been wrote on it said hard work and trust in god you will make more money.
We laughed and her coworker's laughed..cause it was ironic.She was working hard..she does trust in god...but where was her tip lol

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by lupodigubbio

With all due respect, how do we even know that this lady was actually a minister, and not just some jerk pretending to be one to get out of paying the tip? Also, that 10% percent that people tithe goes to the church, for paying bills (you don't think churches get their electricity, water, gas, insurance, ect. for free do you?) and yes, some of it goes to a minister to pay his salary, but mostly it goes to keep the church going. If he is actually a minister, and a TRUE christian, Im sure he will be convicted about it and will make it right.

ETA- I corrected it, the pastor is a woman, my mistake.
edit on 1-2-2013 by Veritas1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Veritas1

A picture of HER was posted
up there

^

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
What a jerk off. First of all the receipt shouldn't say 18%, and second he could've gave something as the 10% he pays to church don't help your community. I can't believe they fired her Screw Applebees too.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Well if that picture is correct fact of the matter is women don't tip very good and black women or men very rarely tip so it was put on their bill because of that. Give me hell all you want but FACTS are FACTS. Now a higher class place that wouldn't be an issue say what you want I really don't care I live in the hood I know what goes on.

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join