It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What it's like to be a schizophrenic with auditory hallucinations

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by fastbob72

Drugs. In his 30s, can't work, lives at home. He's a zombie, basically.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Sounded like demonic possesion to me too. Scary as hell. My heart goes out to anyone suffering from such a thing!

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Mads1987

I had a run in with a Schizo before and he had the hardest time determining what age I was. I am a young guy (who looks young btw) but he kept looking at with confused and curious eyes and kept asking me "how old was I?" and "what is your age?." There was another person who was equally disturbed and the first thing she said to me was "You're just and old man". Maybe Schizo's don't have the cerebral faculties to interpret time in a linear fashion like"normal" folks--and as far fetched as it seems they possibly have the ability to see the future? That would be crazy, wouldn't it?

-TheGhoster
edit on 22-1-2013 by theghoster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Headshot

That's not believable I doubt any human being can actually sit in a room or walk down a street without being somewhat mentally handicapped is some way. That is not the title schizophrenia and hear voices in their head.

That stuff would have to come from the Project Blue Beam Voice of God technology that the navy uses to communicate to other ships without being in site or range. Atleast that was the experiment.

Crew members actually believed god was talking to them. You ask why would someone do that to people?

Fear!

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by theghoster

I had a run in with a Schizo before and he had the hardest time determining what age I was. I am a young guy (who looks young btw) but he kept looking at with confused and curious eyes and kept asking me "how old was I?" and "what is your age?." There was another person who was equally disturbed and the first thing she said to me was "You're just and old man". Maybe Schizo's don't have the cerebral faculties to interpret time in a linear fashion like"normal" folks--and as far fetched as it seems they possibly have the ability to see the future? That would be crazy, wouldn't it?

-TheGhoster

This has got to be one of the dumbest statements i have ever read involving psychological diagnosis!

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by metalholic

Originally posted by theghoster

-TheGhoster

This has got to be one of the dumbest statements i have ever read involving psychological diagnosis!

Yeah, I'm not advocating this as the reason for schizophrenia---mind you, I was more just talking off the cuff and using my imagination. I know that complex chemical brain imbalances. neurological defectiveness/degradation, ect are the most likely (if not only cause) of schizophrenia. I'm not an idiot, but I do like to imagine outside of the box every once and a while buddy. Sometimes being purely rational can be a bit boring. So spare me the high-minded, intellectual cynicism--trust me, I can be just as rational as any other intellectual.

-TheGhoster

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
To be more precise it would most likely be Dementia NOT the title schizophrenia.

Reply to the OP.
edit on 22-1-2013 by metalholic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by metalholic
To be more precise it would most likely be Dementia NOT the title schizophrenia.

Duly noted, thanks.

Edit: Ah, ok---statement retracted.

-TheGhoster

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by metalholic

Sorry, could you use regular syntax please?

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Are you sure your not dyslexic?

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
After listening to those clips, more than anything I felt irritated. It wasn't scary, but I can imagine hearing those voices might eventually drive you insane. Truly I feel sorry for sufferers who have to endure that... I hope there will eventually be a cure.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
i dont hear them like that, just whispering, nothing that can be picked out or distinctive voices, and ill hear muisic

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
First, I can't believe some of the stupid and insensitive comments on here.
Admittedly, I won't listen to the video. My mom has had visual and auditory hallucinations for as long as I can remember. From what she has told me (and I know this isn't everything), they berate her and on occasion have told her to harm others, which she has never acted on. But she is a high-functioning schizophrenic. Only gets bad when she is stressed out; very manageable otherwise.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by metalholic

That's not believable I doubt any human being can actually sit in a room or walk down a street without being somewhat mentally handicapped is some way. That is not the title schizophrenia and hear voices in their head.

I am sure, I'm not sure English is your first language though. If it is, however, are you sure you don't need to take some basic composition classes?
edit on 22-1-2013 by Mr Headshot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by yinyang04011

If anything I've said is stupid or insensitive, I haven't meant it that way. I speak pretty candidly sometimes, and it may come off as belligerent on the internet.

Sucks about your mom though. What's her sleep pattern like?

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   

About 10 years ago I had called into my then local pub for an early evening swifty. The place was almost empty, the barman served me, then apologised for not staying to chat, he had to keep his eye on 'one of our more difficult customers' or some such similar. Shortly afterwards, this youngish bloke came into the room I was in. He seemed to be quietly having a conversation with himself, and he slowly made his way round the edge of the room in this fashion. Having assessed that he seemed harmless enough, I got back to my pint. I then realised I had left my cigarettes at home, and in the instant I thought this, the guy made a beeline towards me, took a packet of cigarettes out of his pocket and offered me one. I took one and thanked him, and off he went again with his conversation. He then went to the slot-machine, put a pound in, pressed 'play', and dropped the jackpot first hit. £20 I think.
It was a surreal moment, and it left me wondering if the voices, in his case at least, might be the thoughts of everyone around he was picking up telepathically. I listened to half of the clip in your OP, and particularly the negative critical type voices, could sound like the thoughts of a 'normal' person observing and judging someone who is obviously 'mentally ill'. Mixed in with random unconnected stuff, someone nearby worrying about his stocks and shares etc.
Fascinating gadget, the brain, and even though it is what we think with, we probably know more about Mars than how it works.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raelsatu
After listening to those clips, more than anything I felt irritated. It wasn't scary, but I can imagine hearing those voices might eventually drive you insane. Truly I feel sorry for sufferers who have to endure that... I hope there will eventually be a cure.

Send them down to Peru or Brazil or somewhere like that for an Ayahuasca initiation from shamans... that will probably cure them.

edit on 22-1-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   

I'm pretty much saying that you cannot be non mentally handicapped or have psychological problem that is not schizophrenia and hear those voices. Schizophrenia is actually a concoction of other mental physical problems. They then prescribe you medicine that induces these problems even more. That way someone who might not stand out in a crowd can now be isolated an shunned if the crowd desires.

Had the individual grew up their whole life without any of these problems and just woke up one day with them. Most likely it's illegal testing of classified technology. the las thing TPTB want is for someone to prove the existence of god. Cause then they are screwed. If the dreamer so chooses.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Some of the breathing sounds in the video might be coming from the sufferer themselves but it sounds very amplified, in this state of mind a very loud sound might be startling, anything like a slamming door could cause a panic attack and sometimes the sound may not be noticed due to attention paid to other sounds/ visuals that aren't real.
Staying awake or being over stimulated can cause effects similar to schizophrenia, you can achieve the experience in your home temporarily but i don't recommend it. Being twitchy on edge sketchy and nervous are feelings that come with the voices when you are at this mental stage, walls breathe and sensible people are confusing.

ETA: I heard my own amplified breathing noise and thought my heart was going to explode. Very scary.
I know the sufferer isn't in the video lol

edit on 22-1-2013 by Parksie because: (no reason given)

referring to omegalogos video

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Finally. Somebody brought a realistic demonstration of what its like to "hear voices". Thanks for bringing this. During my "outdoor adventures" I met people that were afflicted like this. They were homeless because this "condition' made it impossible for them to function in the real world. They described their plight to me and this is what they experienced verbatim. I knew one Indian who drank a lot because it was the only thing that quieted them down. In his case he was being told by a number of voices to hurt others. And they never let up it seemed. Sometimes he would reply, "What?!' real loud as though there was a din in his head.

Another person had issues with the law because he would walk down the street and hear screaming coming from inside a house or apartment. He did what anyone else would and broke down the door on two occasions to rescue whomever was being murdered. Of course the occupants called the police and he was arrested and charged with numerous crimes. Others I knew were afflicted by "entities" that they could both see and hear.

Some were on meds and others weren't . The ones that couldn't afford it were the worst off, they would have constant sleeplessness, nightmares and fear or paranoia. However the drugs just deadened the symptoms, never trully healing anything. This video brings out this affliction better than any description I have heard on the subject.

My Indian friend (under the bridge) used to tell me in detail how it was going with the episodes. It came and went for him. I told him it sounded like drill instructors trying to break his mind like in boot camp. Breaking down resistance to their attempts to persuade him to go out and hurt other people. He and I would sit and talk about it and he agreed they were "intelligent" and separate from himself. Each had different personalities and different methods of abuse. They would gang up and yell at him in his ear for hours. Sometimes he thought he would go nuts or do what they wanted if they would just stop.

I used to say to him. So thats it ? They don't harm you otherwise, just yell at you to break you down? Well then all you have to do is realize they have no power over you other than your reaction to them. If you don't talk back or try to bargain with them they will eventually go away. It does require effort on their part and if you don't respond they will eventually give up. They have only the power you give them. They are trying to get you to do evil but if you don't they will stop.

"You are not in their army of darkness dude, you don't have to do what they want. As long as you don't interact or go off on others then they'll leave." Sure enough it worked. He still calls me and thanks me for that. The episodes he says are getting shorter and less frequent because he no longer responds. It would get worse when he fought back in the past, yelling back and running from them into alcohol.

The other guy was more desperate. He heard brutal screams form inside homes and had to walk by without interfering. That was much harder to endure. I don't know what ever happened to him.

The other guy who used to see demons is in prison now. He used to get into fights with people because the "spirits told him to" (his words). Now he's doing hard time for numerous assault charges.

I understand that doctors have no actual cure for a lot of these cases just endless application of mind numbing drugs to control symptoms. I saw that at work too. When on meds these normally bright people were mostly catatonic and depressed. They slept a lot and seemed listless. As long as they were on the meds they were surely no longer a threat to society.

My take on the root cause of these is surely different than a lot of medical professionals, I am just relating my direct experience with it.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join