It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What it's like to be a schizophrenic with auditory hallucinations

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Schizophrenia interests me, in sort of a morbid way. Some of its manifestations are certifiably terrifying, like in the video above.

If you can't listen to it, it's a video made using the descriptions of the voices people with schizophrenia hear in their head. It's not fun, it's not pretty, it's not something you should listen to if you're weak of heart or alone in the dark.

Can you imagine that playing in a loop all day long, while you're trying to have normal relations with folks? Nope.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Headshot

Explanation: S&F!

Here is another video ... TAKE THE WARNING AT THE BEGINNING VERY SERIOUSLY!

DO NOT CONTINUE WATCHING if it starts to upset you in anyway and I am available via u2u for debriefings ok! @yourownrisk!

Personal Disclosure: I have suffered with malady for 25yrs of my 40yr life!

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Wow, I heard most of it, but didn't feel like I needed to hear the whole thing.
I am sitting at a crowded place, so I didn't find it scary as such. But I found it extremely stressful, and somewhat unsettling. To think that some people hear stuff like this all day long is truly terrifying.

Thank you for sharing this.

I am curious to why they hear these things, since some of them seemed rather specific. Are they a result of trauma, or insecurities perhaps?

I heard a while back, that Schizophrenia might be the result of some people's inability to interpret the flow of time, and that gives them the impression that actions, voice, thoughts are the result of some external entity. Do you know if there is any truth to this?
edit on 06/06/12 by Mads1987 because: (no reason given)

edit on 06/06/12 by Mads1987 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I get songs stuck in my head when I try to go to sleep, some of them I dont even like or havent heard in years, its just annoying.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Hey OL, I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but I've had a suspicion you had the condition for a while.

Only say that because I always notice the characteristic way that you word your posts. Always fun to read though, I look forward to them.

Truth be told, I wouldn't be surprised if many of the members here were suffering from it. I know that sounds derogatory, but I don't mean it to be. I've just noticed the signs of it in a lot of posts.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Mads1987

I am no expert, just a casual observer.

However, I have noticed that a lot of folks with the condition have trouble with time. It all just gets mixed up somewhere.

I don't think that's a root cause, though maybe a symptom.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
very interesting, unfortunately i cant play videos from work but would like to view this later.

thread saved

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Arggghhh! I can't find my headphones and I don't want to risk watching it with my toddler running around!

When i did my nursing rounds in mental health, I worked with a few schizophrenic afflicted patients. One of the few times I was attacked as a nurse. What amazed me, is the patient was quite smaller than I was and their strength overthrew me! I was in the best shape of my life too, and push 6 foot in height. She barely reached my chest. Later, she said the voice told her to kill me. Quite a scary experience.

I'm saving the thread too, for tonight, after I put my kids to bed.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   

The other day I watched a documentary about people that claim to be targeted individuals. Some of them hear voices. I was wondering if there could be a link between electromagnetic waves sensitivity and hearing voices. Could schizophrenia be more than just a chemical imbalance and closer to being a sensitivity?

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   

That's interesting, the time aspect. I never heard that. I heard the theory of cat poo.The Toxoplasmosis and Schizophrenia link.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Amazing thread. My little brother is schizophrenic, and I have a friend who could use some education on this. I'm definitely sharing this. I was only able to halfway imagine what it was like for my little brother until now.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Very disturbing. Sounds like demonic possession to me!

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Wow what an interesting video,both the one in the OP and the one OL posted.I found them very insightful and disturbing aswell.Though I have to admit I didn't find them scary or frightening in anyway,more revealing than anything on what sufferers endure daily !!

Just a couple of questions though.Are the voices always in the 3rd person.i.e do they hear other people talking about them ??
I mean,I have an inner monologue which sometimes I wish would shut the f**k up (although the older I get the better I'm getting at ignoring it and shutting it off) but it's always my own voice,like I'm having a conservation with myself !!!

Also my inner dialogue,if dialogue is the right term,I think it's applicable as although it's me talking to myself there's definitely two different points of view,as such which technically constitutes a dialogue.

I don't hear it,rather it's a mono/dialogue in thought rather than audio.Do schisophrenics actually hear these voices rather than experience it as though ???

These videos gave me a little insight into what it must be like although clearly I can't truly understand what it means !!

I get songs stuck in my head all the time and it's nearly always some real annoying mainstream pop song I can't stand.The Germans have a name for songs,pieces of music and advertising jingles that get stuck in your head.They refer to them as 'Ear Worms',a rather apt name wouldnt you agree.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by sebHFX

I think there could be more to it than what science accepts currently.

I tend to lean more to the way of demonic possession, but I suppose one theory as is good as the next. You may be onto something, honestly though. It has been proposed that schizophrenia is a modern phenomenon. There are very few cases documented until the 1900's. Maybe none before the 1800's.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I ask everyone who commented in this thread to read and comment in my thread too.

Normal people are crazy?

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by fastbob72

Schizophrenics appear to actually hear them, and they're external voices. Like a being separate from the sufferer is saying things to the sufferer.

Mind you, these aren't the only signs and symptoms of the disease. There are numerous ways it can manifest.

My friend's cousin was diagnosed with it when he was in his late teens, when he became super paranoid and started seeing black holes where people's eyes should be.

He also suffered from the voices, but he could see what was telling him things. He also always thought his bed was on fire.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by sebHFX

That's interesting, the time aspect. I never heard that. I heard the theory of cat poo.The Toxoplasmosis and Schizophrenia link.

Yeah I've heard that one too.From the studies they've done with rats it definetly has an effect on the brains of the mammals infected.Scary stuff !!!
edit on 22/1/13 by fastbob72 because: spelling correction,spelt mammals mammels for some strange reason.lol

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Man my heart goes out to those people.

I wouldn't wish this on anyone

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
The 2nd video made my eyes watery for some reason.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Headshot
reply to post by fastbob72

Schizophrenics appear to actually hear them, and they're external voices. Like a being separate from the sufferer is saying things to the sufferer.

Mind you, these aren't the only signs and symptoms of the disease. There are numerous ways it can manifest.

My friend's cousin was diagnosed with it when he was in his late teens, when he became super paranoid and started seeing black holes where people's eyes should be.

He also suffered from the voices, but he could see what was telling him things. He also always thought his bed was on fire.

No way that would be incredibly frightening and confusing particularly seeing black holes for eyes !!

What did they treat him with ??:

I hope he was treated with success,how is he now ??

<<   2  3  4 >>

join