It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Three people injured after 12-gauge shotgun goes off at NC gun show

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by R N G

Uh...yeah it's easier just to take all guns.

Thats what you think

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Bet you a hundred bucks this guy was a commie plant.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by bjax9er

Who me? Then you owe me 100 bucks. Just a college kid calling things as how I feel towards it.

Let me say this before I leave (all of you can loosen the grip you have on your guns now.) and I believe this is where my fault probably lies...

As a guy whose a college athlete and well versed in hand to hand combat and also standing 6'11" I feel like I protect myself just fine and due to personal experience I see more harm than good from guns. I guess that's where my standing on guns becomes askew...

R N G

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofswords

I am sure there have been accidents before at show, but they will be extreeemely rare. This is news for a reason. I have been to gun shows. Everyone I have been through puts zipties through the guns so they can't go off, or take SOME safety precaution.

What is the one thing in America's gun culture that the US want's to crackdown on more than any other. Gun shows. If I was a betting man I would say we may see a shooting incident (bigger than this) at a gun show.

It would be such a win for the government. They would say "this proves there are crazy people buying guns at these shows without background checks, and a room full of people with guns couldn't stop them"

The will already be throwing these questions around and talking about these gun owners compency after this incident.
edit on 19-1-2013 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
to late to edit the op but check this out lol

5 hurt in shootings at gun shows in Ohio, Ind., NC

hosted.ap.org...

MEDINA, Ohio (AP) -- Accidental shootings at gun shows in North Carolina, Indiana and Ohio left five people injured Saturday.

At the Dixie Gun and Knife Show in Raleigh, a 12-gauge shotgun discharged as its owner unzipped its case for a law enforcement officer to check at a security entrance, injuring three people, state Agriculture Department spokesman Brian Long said.

Two bystanders were hit by shotgun pellets and taken to a hospital. A retired deputy sheriff suffered a slight hand injury.

The shotgun's owner, 36-year-old Gary Lynn Wilson, brought the weapon to the show to find a private buyer, Long said. Sheriff Donnie Harrison said that it was too early to know whether Wilson might be charged but that it appeared to be an accident.

The North Carolina show, which is held at the state fairgrounds, is a quarterly event that usually draws thousands of people. The two-day show shut down early Saturday but will reopen Sunday.

In Indianapolis, police said a 54-year-old man was injured when he accidentally shot himself while leaving a gun show.

Emory L. Cozee was loading his .45 caliber semi-automatic when he shot himself in the hand as he was leaving the Indy 1500 Gun and Knife show at the state fairgrounds, state police said. Loaded personal weapons aren't allowed inside the show.

Cozee, of Indianapolis, was hospitalized for treatment. Police say the shooting was accidental and no charges will be filed.

And in Ohio, a gun dealer in Medina was checking out a semi-automatic handgun he had bought Saturday when he accidentally pulled the trigger, injuring his friend, police said. The gun's magazine had been removed from the firearm, but one round remained in the chamber, police said.

Police Chief Pat Berarducci said it appears the bullet ricocheted off the floor and struck the friend in the arm and leg. The man was taken by helicopter to a hospital 30 miles north in Cleveland, Berarducci said. His condition

edit on 19-1-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-1-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

What is interesting about the Raleigh, NC incident, is that a spokesman states that the discharge occured when the owner was "unzipping the case of the weapon" while local news stations IN RALEIGH, quoted eyewitnesses, as saying that the discharge occured AFTER the deputy was in possession....

Doesn't this serious discrepancy make a huge difference as to how the story is being portrayed?

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Yet another thread making the rest of us responsible for what 1 moron does.

Meh

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by R N G

It's not the tool, its the person using it, which I could literally think of hundreds of day to day things that, if were used by a negligent and irresponsible person, could (and do) kill/injure someone or themselves. But if we banned all those things, we would have nothing. See what I'm getting at? People need to learn and be taught responsibility and safety. Not have everything they could possibly harm themselves or others with banned/taken away like we're all toddlers.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Three people were injured on Saturday after a 12-gauge shotgun went off while being checked at a North Carolina gun show.

Authorities said at a Saturday afternoon press conference that the shotgun was being unzipped from its case at the security entrance to the Dixie Gun and Knife Show

This is why they have the security checks and the entrance of guns shows and likely the injuries were minor from pellets that bounced off the ceiling or some part of the building. at this security checkpoint they check and make sure all weapons are unloaded and ZIP tie them in a way they can not be loaded.

One in a million times you could have a AD from a damaged gun when its checked but the guys that are doing the check have the weapon pointed in a safe direction.

These security entrances were put in place after a AD years ago that killed someone at a dealers table.

There are more ADs in the parking lots as people check there weapons or as CCW holders reload there weapons for carry but you seldom hear about these as rarely in anyone hit.

I even saw a show in Texas that had a area for CCW holders to unload and reload there weapons with a safe crumb rubber filled drum backstop just in case there was a AD.
there were two ADs into the drum that weekend,
Both Glocks and one of them was by a off duty police officer no less.(his department supplied the drum)

Without the security check point this could have been a lot worse
edit on 20-1-2013 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Yet another thread making the rest of us responsible for what 1 moron does.

Meh

delusions of persecution.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 03:26 AM
link   
In point of fact, gun safety rules were not practiced. There are very specific gun safety rules that should be followed to the letter...no exceptions!! I can think of 2 right off the bat relevant to this incident that were not utilized. 1) Treat EVERY gun as a loaded gun. That means treat all guns with caution no matter who hands one to you or what they have to say relevant to it. It should not have been loaded in the first place. 2) Always know where your muzzle/gun barrel is pointed at all times. ALWAYS make sure it is not pointed at anyone/thing or in the direction of anyone/thing. No exceptions. I am surprised that an actual official checking the guns in did not adhere to at least the 2 basic rules. There are many other gun safety rules but those 2 were important and should be known and followed at all times, period. Thanx for listening.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   
It's ok though people because nobody was killed!

That's all that matters is when people are killed by guns right? After the Sandy Hook shooting there was the guy who used the knife in China to stab many people but like you all said, "at least they're not dead like they would have been if it was a gun". Well these people aren't dead so lets' not worry about it.

Unless......... maybe it's not about the dead, the killing or the dead bodies.......maybe, just maybe it really about just trying to get rid of a certain tool some people don't like and are not afraid to use the memory of some deceased people to help their cause.

This is going to be my last post and I won't be coming back on here for a while till all the crazy talk passes.
ATS gets in these ruts where they obsess about certain subjects and just keep kicking a dead horse for weeks or months. Christ!!, look at 2012 crap and where all that eventually went.....nowhere.

Now it's gun control. You have 30% of the people telling everybody else how they should live their life when 80% of them aren't old enough to have an intelligent opinion yet in life because they haven't been around enough.
You have to live life to learn things. You can't be educated by the media and "teachers", because all they teach you is their opinion.

All you crazy, borderline mentally ill people on here are making me crazy...time to live in the real world more.

I'm going to go out and shoot some of my firearms today. The AK47, AR15, SKS, MINI-14 and my 1911 pistol and maybe my Sig P226......Ya'll have a nice day.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

Originally posted by R N G
That's why people shouldn't have guns.

R N G

Yeah, because law enforcement goons are the only ones professional enough to handle firearms safely.

Glock G40? Me confused....

I'm pretty sure they don't make anything called a G40, at least not yet.
The agent in the video is a complete braggadocios moron!

And for the record, the shotgun didn't simply "go off",

1. the improperly handled "loaded" shotgun (every gun is loaded right? safe handling 101?)

2. while being held in an unsafe manner (not pointed in a safe direction right? more safe handling 101?)

3. received enough force applied to the trigger to fire it. (keep the booger hook of the bang switch)

NOT the fault of the gun. ABSOLUTELY the fault of the one handling it at the time...
...despite the way the media chooses to word it, and contrary to popular belief, guns don't just "go off".

edit on 20-1-2013 by tjack because: I reduced annoying formatting

edit on 20-1-2013 by tjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by samlf3rd

Amen to that. S&F

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reports coming out now that it wasnt a shotgun and that the person responsible was a police officer.

agent sabotage?
edit on 20-1-2013 by 0mage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by 0mage
reports coming out now that it wasnt a shotgun and that the person responsible was a police officer.

agent sabotage?
edit on 20-1-2013 by 0mage because: (no reason given)

Might you provide us with a link to said reports?

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I was at a gun show in West Plains, Missouri when a gun went off. After a few minutes of stunned silence, the show went on.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
This stuff happens in a free world...accidents...they happen and they are not preventable...the idea that you can prevents accidents is in complete ignorance of what the definition of an accident is:

ac·ci·dent
/ˈaksidənt/
Noun:
An unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury.

we can try to minimize the chance of prominent accidents but ridding the world of them is yet another exercise in futility.

This my friends is an accident...to put this into perspective one should consider all the gun-shows that happen without incident...but that might make this "story" seem less than dramatic and wouldn't serve its purpose...

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   

if we banned all those things, we would have nothing

Except that all those other things likes knives and cars are necessities. Unless you live around grizzly bears or gangsters you don't need a gun.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by CB328

if we banned all those things, we would have nothing

Except that all those other things likes knives and cars are necessities. Unless you live around grizzly bears or gangsters you don't need a gun.

Sorry but you aren't an authority on others lives and what they "need" and don't "need"...its a pretty arrogant stance to take...that somehow you know better how people should live than they themselves do...

I could take the same arrogance stance too...

YOU don't NEED this computer you are typing on, the internet or your TV or any other thing you have...you don't even NEED a car...you have legs and there are bicycles. You need food/water and shelter and that's about it as far as "needs" go...

While were listing things we don't "need" how about sports cars? Nobody NEEDS sport-cars...they do way past the speed limits anyway so all that extra-power is useless anyway unless you are breaking the law of course...

Nobody needs off-road vehicles because most of the roads are paved...
Nobody needs soda or colas because we have water and you don't need soda if you have water. In Fact soda is bad for your health and you are being an irresponsible body owner if you are drinking cola so we should setup a ministry of human body regulation so only licensed and responsible body owners can have cola/soda

or is telling people what they need and don't need only ok when YOU do it?

edit on 20-1-2013 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join