It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advanced Warning Of Snow and Deep Cold Arriving in the UK.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ANDERSON23

They've (Met office) got sleet forecast for London on Saturday.

Sunny intervals up here.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 02:53 AM
link   
The 'Beast from the East' is all over the news this morning. Looks like you were spot on once again Mr MacLeod!

I personally am looking forward to it. Finally a proper bit of winter!
edit on 11-1-2013 by fiftyfifty because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

last time we had snow I was complaining to a friend in Canada, he nearly dropped the phone laughing,schools closed and the whole country at a standstill due to 2 inches of snow - in the south anyway.
Whats a few inches of snow ? If we gritted the roads that might help

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 05:38 AM
link   
I am annoyed. First morning this week i haven't had to scrape ice off the car! The snow better not bypass me or there will be at least one angry Yorkshireman ranting at the sky!

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
UPDATE

It would appear the Met Office has finally decided to issue its alerts to the public. This i would imagine is because we are seeing far better agreement in the short range on the cold weather.

General rule is the further east the worse. Anyone above 200m and living on the east side of the UK will probably get the worst of it.

They are only issuing alerts for the next 3 days because after that, it is still uncertain.

My hunch is that any mild weather that does occur after monday or tuesday will be short lived before another easterly re-load.

See alerts below!

Saturday

Sunday

Monday

Be prepared for an alert upgrade for Monday. Any potential fronts trying to move in could deliver quite an amount of snow and potential ice during rush hour.

Be sensible. Pack a shovel, blanket etc if you plan on driving.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Posting to add that anywhere between 5-15cm of snow is possible on Monday for most of the UK. There is a possible stronger event through Tuesday and Wednesday with North Sea convection.

Will post a further update over the weekend.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Thank you jr...I was watching these warnings last night and this morning, and they're certainly been upgraded, even from early today. Their temperature predictions are still all over the place though, and were -12, now -8...so who knows. I know it's difficult, but preparation is the key.

Stay warm everyone!

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Awesome work again Mr Jr

I did LOL abit on the first page with all the people disagreeing with absolutely nothing to back it up, you've been 100% correct 100% of the time, i trust you for a forecast more then the Met or any other news/weather channel

Love your threads, ive been glued to this thread for days now i'm excited the predictions are coming true and the models are falling in line to, Tuesday looks like a much much bigger snow event

Whats your prediction for the week? I need to know to book it off work and take the Mrs and the Dog for a long arse snow walk

EDIT
I'm in the south of England 30 miles north of London "south downs"
edit on 11-1-2013 by TritonTaranis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrandStrategy

Originally posted by christina-66

Originally posted by GrandStrategy
I don't remember 2010 or 2009 being that bad and I live in the pennines where we used to get a fair bit of snow.

I remember getting snow from November through to February/March. It was common to get school off for all the snow. In recent years you see a sprinkling in Janaury and that's about it.

Can't remember anything but a light dusting in recent years, hyped up by the london media who can't handle mild weather

selfishly, I'm hoping for tons of snow, because I've almost forgot what it looks like!

Wow you have a short memory. I remember Scotland quite literally grinding to a standstill in December 2009-January 2010. People all over the central belt trapped in their cars for hours - and it taking until 5-6pm in the evening for the authorities to realise that many people had been in their cars for up to 8 hours with (very probably) no food or water in their vehicles.

I had to drive to Edinburgh 2 days later - on a motorway that looked like a country track decorated with jackknifed lorries. The following day - a trip to work 10 miles from my home - took me four days to complete

I know you're slightly further south than me - but my son was in London at this time - and he got trapped on Luton beach for 2 days
because of the amount of snow down there. Surely you saw more than a light dusting in the Pennines?

The year before the sea at my folk's place was frozen!

Forgot about Scotland. And no, there hasn't been much snow where I am in recent years. My experience is there's barely any snow these days and people just exagerate it because the media tell them to. If you look at the pictures of this so called large snowfall it's only a little bit of snow.

even looking at pictures of scotland in 2010, the snow looks like how snow fall is meant to look. it's a fair bit of snow but it's nothing i would have considered out of the ordinary 10 years ago

Now snow is so much rarer, than when there is a little bit of it, it's blown out of all proportion. Transport going to pot doesn't mean there's been a lot of snow, it just means there are incompetent people who have jobs. London has trouble with 1 cm of snow.

You don't know what you're talking about.

I've read just about as many of your misinformed posts as i'm prepared to.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Hi jr I have been waiting for any weather posts by yourself as frankly they are the only ones I trust, well done on another great prediction . Unfortunately down here in the channel islands it looks like we're going to miss all the snow. Long range ie 15 day forecast predict it turning colder for us but only down to the seasonal norm. It looks like we have a lot westerlys off the Atlantic which will keep the colder snow laden stuff to the north of us.
If you think the uk comes to a stand still with a bit of snow you should see how jersey copes, schools tend to shut at the first sign, gritters are normally 24 hours behind schedule and everybody tries to use the excuse that they couldnt make it into work! On an island 9x5 with the main business hub in the middle of the south coast on flat ground and 1/2 inch of snow on the ground

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

I bet the affected places that will grind to to a halt as the transportation system crashes. I have not lived there for some time but it was always the way.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   
wooo, it's snowing!! Not laying mind, but it's the thought that counts.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I'm from Essex no snow yet but ill be in west London till Tuesday seeing the other half, unfortunately she hates the snow so my fun is ruined

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Here on the edge of the North Yorkshire Moors (at 2:00pm) it is sunny with blue skies but very hard frost white over ... we did have a sprinkling of snow last night but nothing today ... so far.

Woody

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
snowing in Staffordshire we have about 1cm but its still dropping slowly.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by tdk84

Rub it in why don't you

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Big snow in north east Scotland this morning.
we've had at least 3 inches overnight, and it's snowing heavily now, big fat fluffy snowflakes too, the best kind! Gonna check the road reports but hubby has already phoned work to say he's staying home, and I think we might need a plan b for everything else today. Stay warm everyone.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Pathetic amount of snow here.

On the plus side though, the sky is full of snow clouds and it is cold enough to freeze a seals bum hole.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
Pathetic amount of snow here.

On the plus side though, the sky is full of snow clouds and it is cold enough to freeze a seals bum hole.

haha

our falls melted a little, if it cools down it should stay, ready to stick for the next lot.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join