It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Its like "28 Days Later", only more real.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by TheIceQueen

Wow...that's so funny.

I'll tell that to my uncle who just completed a round of rabies shots a few weeks ago after being bit inside his home.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I think that there is so much more at play than what meets the eye. I think that the world powers are absolutely thinking about pressing the "Reset" button. This type of biological would be the perfect means to that end.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrBigDave
So I came across this the other day and I wanted to get ATS' thoughts on the matter.

It mentions funding to create a vaccine for weaponized rabies. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to possess the virus in order to create a vaccine?

search.engrant.com...
edit on 1-1-2013 by MrBigDave because: (no reason given)

Correct. Modern vaccines to the various strains of the Rabies virus are usually cell cultured. And several strains of many deadly viruses are currently available to a select number of scientists around the country who possess the proper clearance to experiment with them. But that is just in the United States.

Similar stockpiles of weaponized rabies, smallpox, anthrax, plague, marburg, etc. are kept in Russia, the UK, South Africa, Japan, Israel, and quite possibly other countries such as China, North Korea and Cuba.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
28 Days Later: Best - zombie - flick - ever.

28 Weeks Later: Toilet bilge.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

Very scary

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by allenidaho

South Africa? Are you sure about that? So my ultimate nightmare is closer than i thought Really,i can Not imagine a more SHTF scenario than a 28Days later style global outbreak.

I am not afraid of much,but if that had to happen,it would be totally unnecessary to have laxatives in the meds cabinet.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 06:14 AM
link   
They've got a lot of really effective viral and bacterial strains, though. Not sure if rabies would be the most effective way to kill everyone, if that's what you were after.

Years ago, USAMRIID had a "fast AIDS" that would kill in 48-72 hours after infection. They had discovered it in a weird outbreak that killed about 30 people in the midwest. They had not found how they were infected when it went black. The people didn't have an obvious link they had discovered. And for each one, they died in about 48 hours from complete immune collapse after first showing symptoms. You could infect chimps with it, too, which was a surprise. 100% kill rate.

They were trying to isolate the infectious agent when it went dark. I've never been able to get a hint of it since.

Now that would be a kickass infectious agent, if you could engineer it to have a longer incubation period.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raxoxane
reply to post by allenidaho

South Africa? Are you sure about that? So my ultimate nightmare is closer than i thought Really,i can Not imagine a more SHTF scenario than a 28Days later style global outbreak.

I am not afraid of much,but if that had to happen,it would be totally unnecessary to have laxatives in the meds cabinet.

Yep. Pretty sure. Between the 1960's and 1990's, South Africa was actively studying and stockpiling nuclear, chemical and biological weapons.

In the 1980's and 1990's, research shifted entirely to chemical and biological.

As of now, the government of South Africa is not openly researching any such weapons but they do still have stockpiles of weaponized chem and bio agents. They also keep on hand a number of deadly viruses for medical study.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Biological warfare, has been around for a long time, either direct or indirect use. It came to the forefront of everyones mind during World War I. While there were several treaties that forbid, but during that time frame up until the last treaty was signed in 1972, alot of countries were working on weaponized biological agents.

While we worry about say a weaponized rabies weapon, but there are several different species of the same virus, and that is not the full horror that has been develobed in a 50 year timeframe. Or what has been happening to the stockpiles of weapons that many countries has accumulated. For example, if you think that is bad the following should be enough to give most people pause to think:

In 2009, there was a case where the US army reported missing vials of a harmful pathogen, at their main lab. While it is not lethal, there is always that chance that what came up missing, could cause death.

There have been at least 2 outbreaks of Ebola in the US, a previous unknown strain.

The Soviet Union had a large biological weapons program, the full details were never fully explained or known, but what is known, the scariest was the smallpox and Marburg. What was known about Marbug virus that should give us pause, is that it turned out to be an unknown strain of the virus, far more lethal than the original strain.

And it was known that the Soviets did experiment with the filovirus, to create far more deadlier strains.

Now here is the nightmare scenerio for any country and with the way the world works, it is plausible: All it would take is for someone to be infected with a virilent disease, one that spreds airborn, and simply travel around any country, and any major city

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by MrBigDave

Unfortunately there is no vaccine for the weaponized rabies that has had the structural proteins enhanced and the strains mutated so that it is far more virulent, contagious and lethal.... They've made the perfect weapon.

Question is, what can be done when they use it?

Best you can do is get away from it... and pray.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Umm... Yeah, OP. That's my understanding too. In fact, it was the whole basis of reasoning the United States had for running the biological weapons program of the Cold War. 'The Soviets have it ...so we have to make it too, so we can learn how to defend against it'. ...and so went the logic for inventing some of the most unthinkable things man's ever seen.

The sum of all fears is not that the super powers have it, it is much like the mutually assured destruction with nukes. Both sides have modified strains of many contagions that can be used as weapons, and they also have their own exclusive vaccines/cures etc.

What has changed, is that terrorists and terrorist supporting regimes have it now, and these people are far more likely to actually use it. Possibly in suicide bio-terrorist attacks against targeted populations where the "terrorists" would infect themselves and then spread that infection among targeted populations.

How they actually got the weapon really doesn't matter as much as why they will use it.

Good luck.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join