It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Its like "28 Days Later", only more real.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
So I came across this the other day and I wanted to get ATS' thoughts on the matter.

It mentions funding to create a vaccine for weaponized rabies. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to possess the virus in order to create a vaccine?

search.engrant.com...
edit on 1-1-2013 by MrBigDave because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by MrBigDave

check out this link also..

thirteenthmonkey.blogspot.com...

scary stuff here..

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Umm... Yeah, OP. That's my understanding too. In fact, it was the whole basis of reasoning the United States had for running the biological weapons program of the Cold War. 'The Soviets have it ...so we have to make it too, so we can learn how to defend against it'. ...and so went the logic for inventing some of the most unthinkable things man's ever seen.

Weaponized RABIES? really? Anyone ever see the movie 'The Crazies"? I hope a plane carrying the stuff doesn't crash into a swamp and get into a water supply or something, ya know? What insanity!

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

One of the first things I thought of when the reports started coming in about the so called "zombie" attacks was that in the months leading up to them there had been an outbreak of the rabies virus in animals in some of the south eastern states. Also around the same time there was some sort of breach at the CDC in Atlanta. Someone created a thread about it at the time and it kind of put two and two together, so I knew I wasn't the only one thinking along those lines.

I didn't consider the thought of inhalable weaponized rabies, although I did entertain the thought of a laboratory mutated form of the virus that had possibly escaped containment. I agree that they (whoever they may be) wouldn't create a vaccine for such a thing unless it already existed, probably due to "them" creating it in the first place. In fact, it seems logical that they wouldn't be able to create a vaccine for such a thing without infected subjects to test the vaccine on.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I don't know about being weaponized, but a mutated rabies virus is a pretty central point in a book called "Rant: An Oral Biography of Buster Casey" by Chuck Palahniuk. If you're into the dystopian future genre it's a really good read, and pretty scary. It has a zombie element to it, but that's really not the focus at all.
link
edit on 1-1-2013 by forgetmenot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

How in the heck did you come across that link? Good find.

I like REC (Quarantine in the US) myself as far as movies relating to this go. Thats the premise, its not zombie nonsense, its actually human rabies. Same difference as zombies though really, I dont think you have to head shot rabid people though.

1 thing I wanna say about this. I'd much rather face an out of there mind rabid person than someone not ill, who is after you to feed they're families, like in the event of an economic collapse.

This doesn't worry me that much, I like zombies.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by 1/2 Nephilim

Gotta be sneaky to get past the Google government spies. Try different search terms and stuff. I have alot of time on my hands.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Scary thing about rabies is the fact that the incubation period is between one and three months.. you could have it and not even know it for months ..

But important to note that the symptoms in humans aren't the same as in animals.. people don't rage and run out in the streets attacking other people to spread the infection like you might find in animals.. and even animals I've seen don't TYPICALLY go off being insane.. but it is pretty scary seeing an animal suffering from it, especially in it's final stages.. convulsing and clearly not "there".. they will almost certainly bite if approached.

Rabies in a human is very treatable if it's identified.. but if it's not, death is almost imminent ..

According to the CDC:

The first symptoms of rabies may be very similar to those of the flu including general weakness or discomfort, fever, or headache. These symptoms may last for days.

There may be also discomfort or a prickling or itching sensation at the site of bite, progressing within days to symptoms of cerebral dysfunction, anxiety, confusion, agitation. As the disease progresses, the person may experience delirium, abnormal behavior, hallucinations, and insomnia.

Still not pleasant.. but in latter stages, the person doesn't have long to live and has probably already been to a doctor for the earlier symptoms... Humans also tend to still have some conscious thought and rationale about things while they are infected.. unlike animals who are in a state of paranoia and fear with no way to communicate.. I read of one survivor who was infected who would have moments of rage while in the hospital and would have the foresight to warn the staff ahead of time.
edit on 1/1/2013 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Also if you look at the date for the program, it was 2006. Before the National Geographic article in 2010 where they provided way too much info into what would need to happen to create a rabies hybrid. I thought that was kind of fishy when I read it.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I did find this video on youtube which is pretty disturbing.. so warning in advance..

edit on 1/1/2013 by miniatus because: Fixed link

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus
Scary thing about rabies is the fact that the incubation period is between one and three months.. you could have it and not even know it for months ..

But important to note that the symptoms in humans aren't the same as in animals.. people don't rage and run out in the streets attacking other people to spread the infection like you might find in animals.. and even animals I've seen don't TYPICALLY go off being insane.. but it is pretty scary seeing an animal suffering from it, especially in it's final stages.. convulsing and clearly not "there".. they will almost certainly bite if approached.

Rabies in a human is very treatable if it's identified.. but if it's not, death is almost imminent ..

According to the CDC:

The first symptoms of rabies may be very similar to those of the flu including general weakness or discomfort, fever, or headache. These symptoms may last for days.

There may be also discomfort or a prickling or itching sensation at the site of bite, progressing within days to symptoms of cerebral dysfunction, anxiety, confusion, agitation. As the disease progresses, the person may experience delirium, abnormal behavior, hallucinations, and insomnia.

Still not pleasant.. but in latter stages, the person doesn't have long to live and has probably already been to a doctor for the earlier symptoms.

We're not talking about regular run of the mill rabies though. We are talking about a genetically mutated super bug. I believe its intention is to thin the population. There are sooooooo many signs around us that point to some national/global incedent. Major corporations are secretly preparing for ways to evacuate executives. I drove past a building about six blocks from my house that, I swear, is some kind of emergency shelter. It is an all concrete building with no windows. It has two security doors, a generator the size of a box truck, and a six foot fence with spikes on top. They have been doing all kinds of renovations to it as well. A major company in town also renovated an underground "parking structure" for its executives.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   

I don't believe something like that is likely at all honestly .. there's too many logical fallacies in the motive if you ask me.. I can see a terrorist getting their hands on it and unleashing it into the world perhaps because they aren't afraid of death and probably feels humanity deserves it .. but in general the leadership governing this world do care if they live or die, they do care about political power and gain... wealth.. If one country launches such an attack there would be retaliation... this is how the scales stay level because nobody wants to risk what they have... it's the radicals who don't care about what they have that are more frightening... furthermore I can't see a country launching this attack on themselves to thin their own numbers either... for the same reasons.. who are you leading if they are dead?

Furthermore... dropping a chemical weapon like this risks not only killing humans in mass but also animals.. contaminating food supply and water.. it's too high of a risk for any political leader with some resemblance of sanity or any desire to remain in power... Ultimately just highly unlikely if my opinion means anything.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

They talked about an "acute excitement period" but there wasn't one, maybe they didn't show it.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
the sceen where the father decides to abondon the mother in 28 weeks was gut wrenching

would you stay or go ?

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I do want to show this video .. treatment which allowed this little girl to survive without vaccinations at all, using a new method of fighting Rabies .. a medically induced coma for two weeks.. she emerged without brain damage and was walking in a couple of days.. now it's just getting her fully recovered.

Yes this isn't the "super bug" being discussed.. but it's encouraging that our medical science has come far enough along to be able to use alternate treatments like this... adorable little girl

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   

That movie scared the crap out of me, even the second was disturbing.

Why do tptb have to mess with this crap, doesn't nature give us enough to handle?

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
The "accidental" release of some weaponized biological agent is probably the most likely scenario humanity has for destroying itself. A slow to incubate, highly contagious and fatal disease/virus could easily infect 99+% of the world before any signs of disease appear.

Its been written about before. Its only in the fiction section because it hasnt happened... yet.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Reply to post by 1/2 Nephilim

Technically it's not rabies in REC, it's a virus that allows a demon to possess many people.

It's human rabies in Quarantine though, i'll let you off
(Hollywood always has to rip off everything).

Scary premise though OP, I a, certain they would have to possess the weaponised rabies to create the vaccine. However, this doesn't mean they would use it, it could simply mean that they HAVE to have the wesponised version to have a pre-emptive defense, in case another country were to use it.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by domasio

Maybe I didn't see REC? I remember watching REC 2 though and turning it off in 10 minutes because that was the direction they had took it.

I don't wanna watch anything to do with demon zombies.. the idea of a virus making people crazy and violent is much more appealing if your looking for a spine chill. Quarantine 2 kept with that line, it was ok.. same story in an airport.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Obsessing about becoming infected with rabies is quite a joyous, and mentally healthy activity.
Yes, lets obsess about something as preposterous and out of touch with reality, well the kind of reality that lays outside of a padded, locked room, like the population becoming infected with rabies via some sort of government weapon (?) LOL, and people running around rabid foaming at the mouth and turning into cannibalistic feral beasts..

top topics

<<   2 >>

join