It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Are Delusional...........

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ItDepends

No not beaten to death, maybe the sense has already been depleted...arrogance comes to mind. Tell me do you believe in anything without verifiable proof? 3 quadrillion galaxies? The mathematics are mind boggling...seriously anyone that doesn't believe we have other intelligent life on millions of other planets is in denial.
edit on 12/24/2012 by BrokenAngelWings33 because: Edit

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Nope Randy...not clear...could you break that down in english?
It is probable right?

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

PROBABILITY VS POSSIBILITY

en.wikipedia.org...

Probability is a measure of the expectation that an event will occur or a statement is true. Probabilities are given a value between 0 (will not occur) and 1 (will occur).[1] The higher the probability of an event, the more certain we are that the event will occur. The concept has been given an axiomatic mathematical derivation in probability theory, which is used widely in such areas of study as mathematics, statistics, finance, gambling, science, artificial intelligence/machine learning and philosophy to, for example, draw inferences about the expected frequency of events. Probability theory is also used to describe the underlying mechanics and regularities of complex systems.

en.wikipedia.org...

Possibility is the condition or fact of being possible. The Latin origins of the word hint at ability. Possibility also refers to something that "could happen", that is not precluded by the facts, but usually not probable. Impossible denotes that something cannot happen or be done.

There is a definitive difference, since I have to allow for a possibility (since I cannot provide quantifiable proof); my degree of probability in this instance is to highest number, which according to the definition above, 0 - 1, with me saying .99% this is a very high probability outcome event.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenAngelWings33
reply to post by randyvs

Nope Randy...not clear...could you break that down in english?
It is probable right?

I would do better if I wait till tomorrow or maybe a month because I'm both mentally and physically spent
after that psycho fiasco.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenAngelWings33

You're right,

God made this VAST universe just so one planet called Earth could evolve an intelligent life form known as Human Beings,

We are NOT alone!

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

Even species we have on Earth are categorized as other than Human, so it is a little presumptuous to assume they would be called Human elsewhere. They may not even have language...I am not pretending to know one way or the other, but I am fairly certain I myself have lived on other planets in other galaxies, I have way to many strong feelings about this to ignore it. Can I offer quantifiable proof, no. You can not quantify my feelings. I am just damn sure of one thing as sure as I possibly can be we are not alone in this Universe. Funny thing is not one person in here can tell me a fact that proves otherwise. I guess we all just get to believe what we want, however, anyone that thinks Earth inhabits the only intelligent life in this Universe is delusional.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Do you require more than a minute to decide whether it is probable or impossible?

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by godlover25

Well if we are than God wasted a lot of space for us to explore...since we can barely get to the Moon.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   

I think I could possibly do it in under a minute considering the known probabilities but that may not even be right.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Okay upon further review perhaps the word I will use is DENIAL. Delusional may be a bit harsh. Delusional is a disorder, which some you actually might be regardless how you feel about by thread topic...however, being in a state of denial is something that happens when are brains just won't accept the reality of something being highly probable.

So you are in a high state of denial if you do not at least allow for the possibility that other civilizations exist throughout the vastness of our Universe...If you won't allow that a probability exist, at least accept the fact a high possibility does.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

I think I could possibly do it in under a minute considering the known probabilities but that may not even be right.

Well perhaps you could get Phage to come in and clear it for us?

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   

He had to, there had to be billions upon billions of galaxies formed in order for one to form just right to allow for life as planned;

The Earth...its size is perfect. The Earth's size and corresponding gravity holds a thin layer of mostly nitrogen and oxygen gases, only extending about 50 miles above the Earth's surface. If Earth were smaller, an atmosphere would be impossible, like the planet Mercury. If Earth were larger, its atmosphere would contain free hydrogen, like Jupiter.3 Earth is the only known planet equipped with an atmosphere of the right mixture of gases to sustain plant, animal and human life.

existence of GodThe Earth is located the right distance from the sun. Consider the temperature swings we encounter, roughly -30 degrees to +120 degrees. If the Earth were any further away from the sun, we would all freeze. Any closer and we would burn up. Even a fractional variance in the Earth's position to the sun would make life on Earth impossible. The Earth remains this perfect distance from the sun while it rotates around the sun at a speed of nearly 67,000 mph. It is also rotating on its axis, allowing the entire surface of the Earth to be properly warmed and cooled every day.

And our moon is the perfect size and distance from the Earth for its gravitational pull. The moon creates important ocean tides and movement so ocean waters do not stagnate, and yet our massive oceans are restrained from spilling over across the continents.4

Water...colorless, odorless and without taste, and yet no living thing can survive without it. Plants, animals and human beings consist mostly of water (about two-thirds of the human body is water). You'll see why the characteristics of water are uniquely suited to life:

It has an unusually high boiling point and freezing point. Water allows us to live in an environment of fluctuating temperature changes, while keeping our bodies a steady 98.6 degrees.

proof of GodWater is a universal solvent. This property of water means that various chemicals, minerals and nutrients can be carried throughout our bodies and into the smallest blood vessels.5

Water is also chemically neutral. Without affecting the makeup of the substances it carries, water enables food, medicines and minerals to be absorbed and used by the body.

Water has a unique surface tension. Water in plants can therefore flow upward against gravity, bringing life-giving water and nutrients to the top of even the tallest trees.

Water freezes from the top down and floats, so fish can live in the winter.

Ninety-seven percent of the Earth's water is in the oceans. But on our Earth, there is a system designed which removes salt from the water and then distributes that water throughout the globe. Evaporation takes the ocean waters, leaving the salt, and forms clouds which are easily moved by the wind to disperse water over the land, for vegetation, animals and people. It is a system of purification and supply that sustains life on this planet, a system of recycled and reused water.6

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by xXxinfidelxXx

Correction. There're quintillions of grains of sand on earth. There're 100+ billion stars in the Milky Way.

This means that if you had 28000+ earths worth of grains of sand it would be approximately equal to the current estimate for the number of stars in the observable universe.

I think what people miss is that life could have started or been transported to any of these:
1) Comet
2) Moon
3) Proto-planet
4) Dwarf Planet
5) Planet
6) Rogue Planet

If they have some water and some heat then they can be a suitable environment. If it's too cold or hot on the surface then it might be underground, but the possibility is fairly obvious.

It's a stretch for me to say that, but who cares. I'm not a scientist, so I'm free to run with it.

Keep in mind much of earth's water came from asteroids/comets/proto-planets. There's so much water out in space that even if it's not produced on a mass it can be delivered there.

We have no evidence of life originating elsewhere, but neither have we sampled for life elsewhere except for Mars. And we only sampled a couple times and there's still controversy.

I seriously doubt that life is picky where it starts out. But I don't know what the odds are that life evolves to be intelligent. We do know that life is stubborn and it wants to live. It finds a way.

I hate comments people making that demean other creatures on our planet and put us on a pedestal. I think these people forget that brains among different creatures are very similar. Because humans have so much abstract thought, does not mean other creatures do not have some too. We may have the most of all creatures and it shows, but we're not safe-made either. There's a long line of life from which we come going back to the beginning. There're so many ties between earth's life-forms. Additionally, we all have instincts that reflect a sort of genetic memory reflex. I think as we branch out and discover more things our arrogance towards other creatures will reduce.

These're humbling videos:

edit on 24-12-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by mcx1942
The Drake equation is not science fact but it is a good way to estimate advanced civilizations in the Galaxy.
Drake Equation Wiki

I found a cool site that lets you tweak the parameters for the equation here:www.fennzart.com...

I am sure there is intelligent life out there. S&F!

edit on 12/24/2012 by mcx1942 because: edited

I do believe that we're not alone, no where near alone, but I've never understood how the drake equation can be considered a good estimate. We don't know how frequent life is and I don't see how those parameters can tell us, it's going by planets that can sustain life as WE know it for starters, and the parameter fi represents the fraction of planets that will evolve intelligent life, how could we know that? So far it's 1/1. Just saying.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by godlover25

You're right,

God made this VAST universe just so one planet called Earth could evolve an intelligent life form known as Human Beings,

We are NOT alone!

So which is it? Are you saying that Earth is the only existing planet with life on it and we are not alone because God created us? Okay...who created God?

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   

He had to, there had to be billions upon billions of galaxies formed in order for one to form just right to allow for life as planned;

The Earth...its size is perfect. The Earth's size and corresponding gravity holds a thin layer of mostly nitrogen and oxygen gases, only extending about 50 miles above the Earth's surface. If Earth were smaller, an atmosphere would be impossible, like the planet Mercury. If Earth were larger, its atmosphere would contain free hydrogen, like Jupiter.3 Earth is the only known planet equipped with an atmosphere of the right mixture of gases to sustain plant, animal and human life.

existence of GodThe Earth is located the right distance from the sun. Consider the temperature swings we encounter, roughly -30 degrees to +120 degrees. If the Earth were any further away from the sun, we would all freeze. Any closer and we would burn up. Even a fractional variance in the Earth's position to the sun would make life on Earth impossible. The Earth remains this perfect distance from the sun while it rotates around the sun at a speed of nearly 67,000 mph. It is also rotating on its axis, allowing the entire surface of the Earth to be properly warmed and cooled every day.

Have you considered the amount of mass our planet has produced in the form of life? Has anyone?

Now consider our planet a particle that produces mass, intelligence, and emotion....

What kind of particle would that make us?

edit on 24-12-2012 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Water...colorless, odorless and without taste, and yet no living thing can survive without it. Plants, animals and human beings consist mostly of water (about two-thirds of the human body is water). You'll see why the characteristics of water are uniquely suited to life:

It's the other way around, life is uniquely suited to water. Life has evolved around the conditions on Earth, if evaporation didn't exist then all or most life would be suited to salt water. Rather than Earth being perfect for life, life has evolved to be perfect for Earth. All the examples you have given are actually examples of this.
edit on 24-12-2012 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenAngelWings33
reply to post by godlover25

Well if we are than God wasted a lot of space for us to explore...since we can barely get to the Moon.

Are we alone? Considering that the entire universe, our solar system and earth were all created for one reason, to make mankind, the pinnacle of his achievements. The bible says the "heavens" were given to the angels (messengers) and earth to Man. If there is other life out there it doesn't matter, we will never see them. This world was made for us, the rest of the universe was not. This world operates as a containment unit for sin, the harsh environs of the void in tandem with the billions of things out there that could kill people trying to traverse time and space, is sufficient enough to imprison us on this planet forever.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   

OK, the I will stick with "possibility", as I don't have any way of knowing how probable it is.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   

To say that life exists elsewhere in universe without ANY demonstrable proof is foolish. I simply refuse to believe in anything I haven't perceived with any of my 5 senses. However I do believe that Yeshua the messiah resurrected from the dead and walked the earth for 40 days before ascending to Heaven and promising to return.
edit on 24-12-2012 by CaptainNemo because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join