It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Are Delusional...........

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+31 more 
posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   

WE ARE NOT ALONE

If anyone can look at this picture and tell me that we are alone in the vastness of infinity...you are severely delusional.

Seriously. We live on a planet that revolves with 7 other planets and one so called dwarf planet around a single star and maybe 2 (we don't know) because we might be a binary star system.

Do the math.

It has been said that our galaxy alone has over a billion stars (1,000,000,000) and there is really no way to quantify that. Lets just stick with a billion for the hell of it.

If our star has 9 planets, that means we can assume other stars have planets too, right? Lets assume that every star out of a billion has at least 3 planets. That is 3,000,000,000 planets in our galaxy.

Then it has been suggested, also, no way to quantify, that there is well over a trillion galaxies in our Universe.
1,000,000,000,000 x 3,000,000,000 = 3.e+21 is the answer my calculator just gave me.

That is a ridiculous amount of planets and this is a conservative number. Let's try the maximum for the hell of it using our solar system as the model.

1,000,000,000,000 x 9,000,000,000 = 9.e+21.

No matter how you do it lets take 1% of either total and you get somewhere in between 1,000,000,000 and 1,000,000,000,000 planets roaming around out there.

1% of them may have life of an intelligent kind...so...that would be somewhere between 1,000,000 and 1,000,000,000.

Doesn't really matter how you do the math, there is NO WAY in any way shape or form a common sense view that can tell me or any of you that we are alone in this Universe.

I am sure I screwed up the math and some scientist will come in here and correct me...that is ok...I'm not a mathematician...I simply find it ridiculous that anyone can think we are the only form of intelligent life.

BAW33

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
If you dont believe then watch this... I dare you, only people witih small minds that dont want to believe the truth would deny the truth...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenAngelWings33

I think it is widely accepted that it is an almost mathematical certainty that there is other life out there. I think most scientists would agree with that. It is only the religious nuts that think otherwise.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Except you neglect the possibility that the rest of our universe is manifested only when we as conscious beings observe it and it could be that all we see is only a product of us looking and expecting. (we don't know). Just saying

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Helious

So who is observing us to bring us into existance?

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Indeed, I don't know anybody who thinks we are alone in the Universe.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Agreed! Theres no way we are the only ones. And theres no doubt that high ranking governments know this. But what really annoys me is why dont they make proper contact. Come on space brothers....come on down

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheDoctor46
Agreed! Theres no way we are the only ones. And theres no doubt that high ranking governments know this. But what really annoys me is why dont they make proper contact. Come on space brothers....come on down

I agree that life will be abundant in the Universe but I think it would be naieve to expect that intelligent life would be abundant. It could well be but there is no evidence thus far that we are aware of to support that theory.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
The Drake equation is not science fact but it is a good way to estimate advanced civilizations in the Galaxy.
Drake Equation Wiki

I found a cool site that lets you tweak the parameters for the equation here:www.fennzart.com...

I am sure there is intelligent life out there. S&F!

edit on 12/24/2012 by mcx1942 because: edited

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

I simply find it ridiculous that anyone can think we are the only form of intelligent life.

There are many other places where humans reside. But, things will be different there. (Life span, physical features, language, etc.)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenAngelWings33
If anyone can look at this picture and tell me that we are alone in the vastness of infinity...you are severely delusional.

No, it only means they have a different point of view.

Do the math:
Possible number of planets - 9.e+21
Number of planets where we know life exists - 1

Until we find proof that there is life in other planets I will see the possibility of life existing elsewhere just as that, a possibility, but I am one of those that think that it's highly likely that there is life elsewhere.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

I have made many posts about this with many different links.

I'm too tired to blah blah blah.

However, they estimate there're about 200-300+ sextillion stars in the observable universe. That's 1,000x1,000x1,000x1,000x1,000,000,000x250 if you need to grasp it. If you add up all "active" human cells on earth it amounts to about 350+ sextillion. Ironically, it's about the same for ants too.

I think they estimate some 100+ billion stars in our galaxy.

They estimate some 100+ billion galaxies in the observable universe.

They estimate billions of rogue planets in each galaxy (and possibly inbetween?). These're not accounted for if you only count the planets that're tightly trapped by their star.

There're 139 moons in Sol. How many moons do you think there're in our galaxy?

There're many asteroids, proto-planets, dwarf planets and comets.

They don't know how big the outside universe is. Our observable universe could be a small fraction. There's a set limit on what we'll EVER see of the outside universe. It's a law. This means that no matter how much time passes that most of what's outside we'll never ever see.

See this link:
io9.com -
A Game-Changer in the Search for Alien Life: “All stars have planets”...

At the same time, however, Shostak admitted that, by virtue of a galaxy filled with Earthlike planets, it actually doesn't matter where we look. The important thing to know is that life is potentially everywhere.

Shostak also admitted that the discovery reaffirms the idea that life could have emerged in the Galaxy a long time ago. "It's been possible to have worlds with life for quite some time now," he said, "there could be life out there that's billions of years old."

edit on 24-12-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Helious
Except you neglect the possibility that the rest of our universe is manifested only when we as conscious beings observe it and it could be that all we see is only a product of us looking and expecting. (we don't know). Just saying

That's a "theory" to backup the problem some physicists have with not knowing the state of particle prior to it being observed and so some state (stupidly) the particle is all states and others state (stupidly) that the universe is an indeterminate state until observed by a sentient being........thing is that assumes humans are and have been the only sentient beings in which case dinosaur fossils appeared the instant we became sentient and DNA only started working when we became sentient. Clearly philosophical nonsense when you take account of everything.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Helious

You're closer to the truth than even you realize. At one point humanity believed that the world was flat... that's because it was.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l

Originally posted by TheDoctor46

I agree that life will be abundant in the Universe but I think it would be naieve to expect that intelligent life would be abundant. It could well be but there is no evidence thus far that we are aware of to support that theory.

You could just as well argue it is naive to assume we are the only intelligent life. There is as much evidence for either point of view ie big fat zero. We only have statistics and observation of life on one planet out of trillions to come to any conclusion. That said the statistics backing up the evolution of life, how easy it is to start, the myriad branches of life, the myriad environments etc etc are all improving, some quite dramatically. This means the likelihood of life is increasing as is the likelihood of intelligent life.

Microbes on Europa or Mars, now that would change the stats significantly, massively in fact

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I think it takes one of three things, in my personal view, to see the Universe as empty except for us. It's either...

- Religion (And I have to note for Christians...the Book we have to view today has undergone enough changes, revisions and wholesale re-writes by power drunk leaders or well intentioned scholars to say it could have had a whole chapter with the home address for ET personally ...and we'd not know it anymore)

- Hubris (what I think most are) This is where someone actually looks up there and believes...we were an accident of cosmic soup that mixed in just the right or wrong way.....and so...likely didn't happen again...or if it did...it happened so far away by odds, we'll never know them and they'll never know us.

- Education or lack of it (No one's fault here!) I suppose if one absorbs info from popular culture and media, one either KNOWS ET exists, what it's full physical profile is for numbers and even internal organ structure and function !...
... or... ET has never existed and only idiots or TinFoil hatters think they do.

As always..I say the truth is a vague thing out there in the middle somewhere until proven otherwise and I keep as open a mind as possible without letting my brain fall right out. (I kinda need it...) Naww.. We're not alone. I just wonder...Have we met ..and if not, will we ever? I want to see our neighbors!

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhill76

I simply find it ridiculous that anyone can think we are the only form of intelligent life.

There are many other places where humans reside. But, things will be different there. (Life span, physical features, language, etc.)

Not sure I would call them Humans, however, I think it is hysterical that "scientists" think for life to exist on other planets it would need to have Earth like atmosphere conditions. Anyone been in the ocean? Unless I am mistaken the atmospheric conditions there are considerably different and although we don't consider many of those species to be intelligent, I have seen behavior to the contrary. We, also, have not explored more than 10% of any oceanic atmosphere.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
If you don't believe there is life out there somewhere in the universe,given the numbers, then you are a fool.
Now is there there any intelligent life out there....well there isn't much on this planet so go figure.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Originally posted by BrokenAngelWings33

No, it only means they have a different point of view.

Do the math:
Possible number of planets - 9.e+21
Number of planets where we know life exists - 1

Until we find proof that there is life in other planets I will see the possibility of life existing elsewhere just as that, a possibility, but I am one of those that think that it's highly likely that there is life elsewhere.

Just curious...do you practice any religion? Do you believe in anything that you did not require proof over? Possibility? How about probability? Even it hit you over the head you probably still wouldn't believe.
edit on 12/24/2012 by BrokenAngelWings33 because: Edit

edit on 12/24/2012 by BrokenAngelWings33 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join