It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dangerous Gas may be cause of super-charged weather, mass die-offs, quakes and more

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
There's so much money in natural gas production that it makes sense there would be powerful forces preventing this thread from sprouting wings and being discussed in a serious manner. Why wouldn't there be people put here to dissuade anyone from seriously looking at this issue when you consider the huge rise in natural gas production since 2006, the same time that methane levels have risen in the atmosphere. There have been some positives, such as my lowered gas bill over the past couple of winters, but on the other hand, I think I will pay more if it means we don't threaten our very existence. More from article above. Talks about economic benefits of the gas production, but then a lady's well was contaminated and her drinking water from the tap came out bubbling. After tests, it was twice the explosive level of methane.

The gas from fracked wells has benefited consumers; 55 percent of the homes in the U.S. have gas heat, and prices last winter reached a ten-year low. In Pennsylvania the boom has revived businesses; created some 18,000 jobs, by the state’s reckoning; and paid millions of dollars in lease-signing bonuses and royalties. However, some landowners who leased their land to gas companies have since had second thoughts. Sherry Vargson is one. In 2008 Chesapeake Energy began drilling on her family’s 197-acre dairy farm in Granville Summit, in northeastern Pennsylvania. In June 2010, after a crew had been working on the well, Vargson turned on her kitchen tap to find it backed up with what she thought was air. “It was like drawing a glass of Alka-Seltzer, very sizzly and bubbly,” she recalls. Testing showed the water contained more than twice the methane that’s considered an explosion threat. Chesapeake has been supplying her with bottled water ever since, while arguing that the contamination is natural. Meanwhile Vargson’s monthly royalty checks have shrunk from more than $1,000 to less than $100, as production from the gas well has plummeted.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Just wanted to post some of Johnny's website Jumping Jack Flash...

This is from one day of fires erupting in vehicles - this is just vehicles and doesn't count businesses, etc.

2012-12-27 - Two boats burst into flame in field near coastal Myrtle Beach (South Carolina):
www.carolinalive.com...

2012-12-27 - Boat bursts into flame at Goose Bayou Bridge marina in Lafitte (Louisiana), 2 injured:
www.nola.com...

2012-12-27 - RV bursts into flame inside storage facility in Phoenix (Arizona):
www.kpho.com...

2012-12-27 - RV bursts into flame next to home in Longview (Washington):
tdn.com...

2012-12-27 - RV bursts into flame on Middleton Road in Overton (Britain):
www.lancsfirerescue.org.uk...

2012-12-27 - Fuel tanker truck bursts into flame at layby off Trinity Road in Kingsbury (Britain):
www.thisistamworth.co.uk...

2012-12-27 - Tractor trailer bursts into flame on I-75 in Spalding County (Georgia):
www.myfoxatlanta.com...

2012-12-27 - Tractor trailer bursts into flame on Highway 60 in Moreno Valley (California), in Riverside County:
tcfireweb.co.riverside.ca.us...

2012-12-27 - Snow plow truck bursts into flame on road in Indianapolis (Indiana):
fox59.com...

2012-12-27 - Snow plow truck bursts into flame in Auburn (Massachusetts), second vehicle fire in 12 hours:
auburn.dailyvoice.com...

2012-12-27 - Truck bursts into flame in Redcliffe (Australia), 1 injured:
au.news.yahoo.com...

2012-12-27 - Van bursts into flame on Bridges Road in S#horpe (Britain):
www.thisiss.../teams-called-North-Lincolnshire-morning/story-17692905-detail/story.html

2012-12-27 - Van bursts into flame in Corinth (Texas):
dfwscanner.wordpress.com...

2012-12-27 - Minivan bursts into flame on Route 15 in Sparta (New Jersey):
hopatcong-sparta.patch.com...

2012-12-27 - SUV bursts into flame on Newport Avenue in Parma (Ohio):
www.cleveland.com...

2012-12-27 - SUV bursts into flame inside garage at home in Taylorville (Illinois):
www.taylorvilledailynews.com...

2012-12-27 - Pile of scrap cars bursts into flame at junkyard in Lebanon County (Pennsylvania):
www.grantvillefire.com...

Note: As mentioned before, hydrogen sulfide can ignite when exposed to rusty iron. Well, that's what junk cars in piles like this do: they rust. There have been many similar fires of late. There's really nothing else that explains piles of metal bursting into flame like this...

2012-12-27 - Two cars burst into flame outside home in coastal Bridgeport (Connecticut), fire burns home too, explosion mentioned:
www.nbcconnecticut.com...

2012-12-27 - Car bursts into flame at State Farm facility in Bloomington (Illinois):
www.wjbc.com...

Note: This is arguably even more convenient that having your car burst into flame outside a fire station...

2012-12-27 - Car bursts into flame in underground car park at shopping center on the Central Coast (Australia), evacuations ensue:
www.nbnnews.com.au...
www.heraldsun.com.au...

2012-12-27 - Car bursts into flame on Park Avenue in Huntington (New York):
huntington.patch.com...

2012-12-27 - Car bursts into flame behind restaurant in Albany (Australia):
www.watoday.com.au...

Quote: "Nearby residents told police they heard several bangs before the car was fully engulfed in flames."

Note: The bangs were smallish gas plumes igniting and exploding. Also mentioned, some clothes burst into flame in an apartment complex laundry room, which goes along with all the people bursting into flame lately: it's their clothes, absorbing accelerant(s) - hydrogen sulfide or methane or both - and spontaneously combusting...

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
And the rest of that list (ran out of room on last post)

2012-12-27 - Car bursts into flame on Lee Mill in Ivybridge (Britain):
www.dsfire.gov.uk...

2012-12-27 - Car bursts into flame on Audrey Drive in Rahway (New Jersey), fire spreads to nearby vehicle too:
www.1stresponder.com...

2012-12-27 - Car bursts into flame on I-4 in Volusia County (Florida):
articles.orlandosentinel.com...

2012-12-27 - Car bursts into flame while being towed behind motorhome, in East Milton (Florida):
www.srpressgazette.com...

2012-12-27 - Car bursts into flame at Lakeshore and Murphy in Sarnia (Canada):
blackburnnews.com...

2012-12-27 - Vehicle bursts into flame in Eloy (Arizona), dumpster fire and trash fire also mentioned:
www.trivalleycentral.com...

2012-12-27 - Abandoned RV bursts into flame in field in Charing (Britain):
www.kentonline.co.uk...

This is just vehicle fires in one day reported across news on the web

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Hope y'all forgive me. Running late today on the update for yesterday's events. Weekend, cold weather, slept deep, overslept, later start than normal. Answered JRDavis' questions via PM, as best I could. (But I don't have all the answers here! Don't pretend to! Just doing my best to figure out what I can. Would dearly love an army of supersmart people to be working on this problem. Like every supersmart person on the planet, preferably.)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Bus explosion in Karachi, Pakistan - Police officials tell two different stories - first, some police came out and said it was a bomb, on a bike that exploded as it passed the bus, while other officials said it was unclear whether this was a bomb or a gas explosion - many buses in Pakistan run on natural gas. Six dead and 52 injured in this explosion. Find it strange that different police came out with different stories.

Bus explodes in fireball killing six people

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

Wow! Big ol' explosion! You look at Google Maps and see where Karachi is located? Right on the coast, a seaport city, with the ocean to the southwest, so winds would tend to blow any gases accumulating in the ocean right up over Karachi. I usually tend to ignore Pakistan stuff though, because they do have political strife and they ALWAYS tend to play these explosions as 'bombs'. But somehow I doubt that every vehicle explosion we hear about is really a bomb. Gas-powered bus, copper reacts with hydrogen sulfide, a fire breaks out near the gas tank, and boom, you'd see something like that picture there.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Here's a YouTube video with some info about power poles burning. This person has also noticed all the strange fires and explosions happening around the U.S.

YouTube: Power Poles Burning

edit on 29-12-2012 by JonnyMnemonic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by JonnyMnemonic
Here's a YouTube video with some info about power poles burning. Apparently I've been missing a lot of these!

YouTube: Power Poles Burning

Damn, more wide spread than I thought.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Manholes explode and ignite cars in SoHo in coastal New York City (New York):

Manholes explode, burn cars, SoHo, New York

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Well, you said it was going to start happening in places like this. It said in article that persons in a building felt it shake. It sounds like the booms and the shakes are moving from the country into the big city.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rezlooper

Well, you said it was going to start happening in places like this. It said in article that persons in a building felt it shake. It sounds like the booms and the shakes are moving from the country into the big city.

Yeah, and the World Trade Center just had a fire the other day too, in some storage units.

Four passengers sicken, 'flu-like' symptoms, one of them dies, on passenger train at coastal Parry Sound, Ontario (Canada):

4 passengers sicken, 1 dies, on passenger train

Near Toronto. And Toronto had some putrid smell blow through it not long ago, mentioned in the 2012-11-09 update...

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I want to clear something up in m OP about where I say its the ozone depletion that causes the atmospheric heating. The ozone causes the dangers to us but its the infrared that causes the atmospheric heating but all in the same chain reaction. The gases that rise in the atmosphere also trap in the infrared. Long-wave infrared enters the atmosphere from the sun, heats up everything on the surface and then these ground objects when heated, emit short-wave infrared which is then blocked from leaving the atmosphere by the gases. Of course, this results in a rise in temperatures. Same effect basically, and that's what I propose is leading to earthquakes, volcanoes, sinkholes and extreme weather in the OP.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Thanks for the important clarification, Rez.

Got your second U2U Jonny - certainly possible. Had some thoughts along that line myself.

As an aside, it is interesting that 4 billion years ago Venus had an atmosphere like Earth. Carbon dioxide was far lower and there were oceans. The runaway greenhouse effect ultimately created the atmosphere it has now. Various space probe missions have found hydrogen sulphide and sulphur dioxide in the atmosphere. Since these two gases react with each other, it means something is actively producing them. The conventional explanation is that volcanic activity is producing the two gases but there are a number of points against that, one being that Venus is less volcanically active than Earth. There is more in the link and on the rest of the web, but after looking at Venus you have to wonder if the conditions on Earth could also change irrevocably in a similar way. Who knows how many graveyard planets there are out there from these runaway greenhouse gas processes. Just shows the danger it poses for us.

www.astrobio.net...

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Thousands of mullet wash ashore on Florida beaches

Another mass fish die-off at same beach where tons washed up back in October.

“This is a significant event. Thousands of fish is significant,” he said. What makes it more unusual is the vast majority of the fish are mullet — no small bait fish, like sardines, or other varieties. In October, the largest red tide bloom to affect Southwest Florida in several years killed seven tons of fish in two days at Sarasota County beaches.

Both die-offs were blamed on red tide. A school of mullet caught in a red tide bloom.

Tatge suspects a large school of mullet were caught in a red tide bloom and then washed up on shore, thanks to the recent large waves and strong wind from the west.

Here's a summary of what red tide is and it's harmful consequences. Notice it says that the blooms are on the rise. The most well-known bloom is the red tide every 'summer' on Florida's Gulf Coast, but this is two since summer with mass animal die-offs. I'd say this is definitely a rise.

Harmful algal blooms, or HABs, occur when colonies of algae—simple ocean plants that live in the sea—grow out of control while producing toxic or harmful effects on people, fish, shellfish, marine mammals and birds. The human illnesses caused by HABs, though rare, can be debilitating or even fatal. While many people call these blooms 'red tides,' scientists prefer the term harmful algal bloom. One of the best known HABs in the nation occurs nearly every summer along Florida’s Gulf Coast. This bloom, like many HABs, is caused by microscopic algae that produce toxins that kill fish and make shellfish dangerous to eat. The toxins may also make the surrounding air difficult to breathe. As the name suggests, the bloom of algae often turns the water red. HABs have been reported in almost every U.S. coastal state, and their occurrence may be on the rise. HABs are a national concern because they affect not only the health of people and marine ecosystems, but also the 'health' of local and regional economies.

What is Red Tide?

A small percentage of algae, however, produce powerful toxins that can kill fish, shellfish, mammals and birds, and may directly or indirectly cause illness in people. HABs also include blooms of non-toxic species that have harmful effects on marine ecosystems. For example, when masses of algae die and decompose, the decaying process can deplete oxygen in the water, causing the water to become so low in oxygen that animals either leave the area or die. Scientists at the National Ocean Service have been monitoring and studying this phenomenon for a number of years to determine how to detect and forecast the location of the blooms. The goal is to give communities advance warnings so they can adequately plan for and deal with the adverse environmental and health affects associated with these 'red-tide' events.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   

It doesn't even really matter. Even if it IS red tide - and color me skeptical - then the algae blooms will eat up the oxygen in the water and THEN the anaerobic bacteria that spew hydrogen sulfide will spread their territory in the newly anoxic waters. All of these events, the red tides, the toxic blue-green algae blooms, rivers and lakes changing colors here and there, all these events signify a rapidly changing water environment leading to anoxia.

More birds dropped dead, in Seymour (Tennessee). Lady saw the flock flying, turned around and they were dead. So they were almost instantly killed. That's probably a hydrogen sulfide plume blowing overhead. Maybe not concentrated enough to kill people that fast, but birds are small. And more fish surfacing dead in Australia too. All in the 2012-12-30 update, now online:

jumpingjackflashhypothesis.blogspot.com...

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Lady saw the flock flying, turned around and they were dead. So they were almost instantly killed. That's probably a hydrogen sulfide plume blowing overhead.

Have heard of them dropping out of the sky when they cross into powerful microwave and radiowave transmissions. But the instantaneous nature of this is supportive of a toxic plume also. Birds die pretty quickly in poisonous gas.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by SteveR

Lady saw the flock flying, turned around and they were dead. So they were almost instantly killed. That's probably a hydrogen sulfide plume blowing overhead.

Have heard of them dropping out of the sky when they cross into powerful microwave and radiowave transmissions. But the instantaneous nature of this is supportive of a toxic plume also. Birds die pretty quickly in poisonous gas.

Heh, you're smellin' like you took a shower in some Normalcy Bias there, SteveR. Just joshin'! But that's how they've been hiding this, in part. One story at a time, fireworks here, norovirus there, and so on. And one story at a time, sure. But it's all about the PATTERNS of events. And there are lotsa clues that it's hydrogen sulfide, besides the stories where that's actually been measured and mentioned.

A little clue was in Britain, I think it was. A hamster died. The family buried it. It came back to life, dug its way out! It wasn't really dead, was just room temperature and sloooow heartbeat. Hydrogen sulfide can put small animals into a kind of 'suspended animation'. There was a science article on that. They said they tried it on pigs and it didn't seem to work. But maybe it's not just rodents. Maybe it's the size of the creature, and maybe the pigs were too big. There've been a number of events in the last year of a CHILD being pronounced dead, but then coming back to life. Could it work on small humans too? I dunno, but seems possible. Adults even? I don't really know. Even if they come back though, they might not be 'normal', because of neurological damage, other organ damage too. And it probably takes just the right dose over just the right amount of time, specific to each individual creature, for it to happen at all.

edit on 31-12-2012 by JonnyMnemonic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

But it's all about the PATTERNS of events.

I agree here. In isolation, an event can be deceptive as we can somewhat easily attribute it to conventional explanations. But when the events occur in mass quantity, those conventional explanations become more doubtful. So, it's all about the quantity of relevant events.

There've been a number of events in the last year of a CHILD being pronounced dead, but then coming back to life.

Absolutely. They are pronounced dead and wake up in the coffin hours / days later. Then drop dead again, but who knows if they're really dead. The condition tends to fool the usual medical examination. They are struggling to explain why this happens. H2S poisoning is a good bet because it has to be something relatively new that we aren't looking for.

Keep up the good work.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I just made this post over at the Sinkhole Watch thread I started. Just wanted to see what you make of this. There's been a lot of these sinkholes and they are blaming them on water pipe damages. Water main breaks usually, but this one was soil erosion due to water pipe damage. Whatya think?

This sinkhole in Harrisburg, PA was the 2nd one in two weeks underneath their city streets. Then, later the same morning, another sinkhole nearby the first one. I'd be wondering what's up after three sinkholes in the same town. These are blamed on soil erosion, the result of a damaged water pipe, of course. Now they've evacuated homes near the sinkholes and are urging residents to boil water.

A Harrisburg trash truck became caught this morning in a collapsed sink hole in the vicinity of 4th and Maclay streets, according to a Harrisburg media advisory. The truck was successfully removed at 3:30 p.m. today, the advisory states. The sink hole was apparently caused by soil erosion beneath the street surface resulting from a damaged water pipe connection, the release states. A boil water advisory was issued to impacted homes. The break could have resulted in an increased risk of microbial contamination to residents in the neighborhood. This is the second sink hole in the region in recent weeks. A sink hole closed the right lane of westbound Route 30 near Shoe House Road in Hellam Township last week until crews could repair it.

Source

A second sinkhole on Fourth Street near Maclay Street in Harrisburg collapsed at around 11 last night, hours after a morning sinkhole trapped a garbage truck and led to a boil-water advisory, spokesman Robert Philbin said in a press release. The newer sinkhole resulted in the loss of water, gas and sewer services, so the city is suggesting people in 2102-2163 North Fourth Street evacuate. A temporary emergency shelter is open at Pine Street Presbyterian Church, 234 South St., provided by the American Red Cross.

Source

Most recent story from PennLive

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Yeah, I think at least some of the sinkholes are related. Couple of possibilities: 1) methane hydrate deposits beneath ground level may be giving way as the waters along coasts warm; and 2) biogenic sulfide corrosion is probably eating away at steel and concrete below ground where there's moisture and causing pipeline ruptures. If increasing numbers of sinkholes keep popping up - and that does seem to be the case - then it's gotta be something that's happening now that didn't used to happen, and both of those above possibilities would qualify.

This could really be quite a problem, probably worse if it's melting methane hydrates. The hydrate deposits formed across the ages, but then erosion washed soil and rocks over them along the coasts over time. Then animals and plants moved in on top of the soil. Then WE moved in on top of the soil and built cities all along the coasts. Just how stable is the ground going to be along coastlines? I haven't a clue. This could be anything from major annoyance to massive catastrophe. I am definitely watching these sinkhole events though.

And sorry I was slow on my reply. I always bog down when it's time for a monthly update; those suck the energy out of me for days. Heh.

jumpingjackflashhypothesis.blogspot.com...

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join