It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DisInfo agents, bogus members posting threads...why?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
What's the point in 'disinfo agents' coming to ATS? What would they be achieving?

Think about it: there's no consensus of anything on here. People are very polarised (as are most large on-line forums), especially talking about emotive issues: religion, politics, whatever. It's an old adage that you should never talk about religion and politics. Throw in a few thousand regular posters talking about these very issues more and you're guaranteed a divided view on everything.

Further more you've got psuedo-trolls on most large sites on the internet. Not even proper trolls, just 'new fags' and 'summer fags' as they say on /b/.

Adding 'disinfo agents' to this particular 'oh noes, disinfo agents are ruining the net' conspiracy is unnecessary. The exact same outcome transpires without the 'disinfo' element and therefore can be ruled out.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThisToiletEarth

Originally posted by lambs to lions
reply to post by ThisToiletEarth

You missed my point. I'll recap. There have been many new members pumping out their required 20 posts in order to post a thread. Their posts are short and incoherent, or without any real substance. Next, they post a thread which is extremely generic. Like, 'I saw a ufo.' However, they don't post pics, have much at all to say, and then they bounce after a few replies. It's obvious they are hollow posts. The mods have been good about shutting them down. Just curious why they would go through the effort of it all???

So people that don't follow rules and add useless content are Disinfo Agents?

They go through the effort because now a days people are total losers with no social life except on line. Sad but true. I walk down the street and say hi to someone and they look at me like I am crazy ( please note my handsome profile pic). But online you meet someone once and they don't stop sending you friend requests.

People are so out of touch.

Ever go to the bathroom of a a bar/restaurant and see, "Here I sit lonely hearted, came to crap, but only farted"?!?!? or a scribbling on the right wall that says, "look left" only to look at the left wall and it says, "look right" ?!?!?!?!

Why did someone go through that effort?!?!

It's all relative. We live in a world full of chicken shizzle, yellow belly turds who simply want to scribble on the wall.

Welcome to life.

While this may be a somewhat off-color way of describing life in the world and especially in more "western" civilizations today - you are absolutely correct. And though you worded this in a metaphorically humorous way, your observation here is one of the more profoundly accurate discriptions of the "younger" crowd worldwide. While they look at this detached lifestyle as normal, it's truly sad that us "older folks" (I'll be 48 in February) have lived to witness the death of the "good old days". We live in a world where you send a text to your neighbor instead of taking one minute to walk outside and chat by the fence over a cup of coffee or a beer.

I'm not saying it's wrong necessarily - just sad.

Star for one of the more profound statements (even though it's worded in "toilet humor") I've read in a while.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

Public opinion is the new front, and disinfo is only the half of it. Disseminating false information is rare, but sculpting the debate, muddying the waters, and studying the results is not.

Although the topic of this thread is the "trash thread" phenomenon, for which forum sliding and idle teenagers can account, I invite you to look over a few links for the full picture:

www.guardian.co.uk...
www.huffingtonpost.com...
www.innovation-america.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

That's just the tip of the iceberg, I'm afraid.
edit on 13-12-2012 by Eidolon23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   

reply to post by Dustytoad

I'm with you on the purpose of the DisInfo trolls, what about the rest? The hollow posters that are obviously fake...

lol notice how disinfo agents comes under the heading of "those ideas you want to hide" [4]

it's usually something similar to this:

"there are no such things as disinfo agents and trolls just science, logic, and authority being attacked by woo-woo-whackjobs imagining crazy things".

one step in mind control is to get you to distrust...

your own self and senses.

once they've planted doubt in you
"nothing is real, and anything goes"

edit on 13-12-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eidolon23
reply to post by Merriman Weir

Public opinion is the new front, and disinfo is only the half of it. Disseminating false information is rare, but sculpting the debate, muddying the waters, and studying the results is not.

Although the topic of this thread is the "trash thread" phenomenon, for which forum sliding and idle teenagers can account, I invite you to look over a few links for the full picture:

www.guardian.co.uk...
www.huffingtonpost.com...
www.innovation-america.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

That's just the tip of the iceberg, I'm afraid.

I'm aware of all that. Also, I've not only worked in the local council's propaganda unit but also did advertising and mass communication at university. I can throw all kinds of communication models at this.

However, the question still stands, what would disinfo agents actually achieve here? There's no consensus and the user demographic has a very pretty wide spread. There's actually no need for disinfo agents to be here as, whatever they'd hope to achieve, occurs without their intervention. And if that's the case, what's the basis for thinking that they're actually here and making a difference?
edit on 13-12-2012 by Merriman Weir because: .

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   

reply to post by TheCanuckian

Quoth the guy who registered yesterday, no avatar, with half of their posting history dedicated to denying the existence of paid social media ops.

Just sayin'.

Wow that's funny. Certainly doesn't answer any of my questions nor does it prove anything.
Fact is im just a regular joe with a wife and kids and a job that has an observation about your post.

I always use critical thinking and ask questions first and look at other plausible explanations.

If that's me being a disinfo agent, then you got me! I didn't realize critical thinking would put you in the "shill" category, but it makes me realize something: If you disagree with someone they either make a mockery of you or call you a "shill".

Either way it doesn't bode well for debating, since I just got here and now I realize this it's better I don't post my critical thoughts, in case it angers the wrong person and I find myself banned like others have been for expressing critical thought.

Thanks for warning me early about this, I will stop wasting my time.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merriman Weir
However, the question still stands, what would disinfo agents actually achieve here? There's no consensus and the user demographic has a very pretty wide spread. There's actually no need for disinfo agents to be here as, whatever they'd hope to achieve, occurs without their intervention. And if that's the case, what's the basis for thinking that they're actually here and making a difference?

The wide demographic spread and the relatively large user base, as well as the fringe nature of many of the topics make this an ideal testing ground, wouldn't you say? You could play with things like spin strength, polarization and user response.

That's just one possibility, I'm certain that if you were inclined, you could posit others.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by UltraMarine
Disinformation Agents are Here and are Active , Esp in UFO / Alien Forum

While I will admit that I didn't sufficiently peruse the 2 threads you have linked here, I've got to say that I would assume (and I'm sorry if I'm wrong) that - especially in the UFO/Alien threads - if you do not believe that Earth is being visited by aliens, you are a "disinfo agent". I pretty much never go in the UFO/Alien threads anymore. I have seen a lot of things in my life, including what would be classified as a typical UFO sighting, but there is nothing so far that has been able to convince me that we are now or ever have been visited. I don't know to this day what I witnessed, but I don't believe it was "alien". I have been called a disinfo agent, an idiot (and other synonyms), a flat earther - pretty much all of the name calling that happens when someone can't convince me of their alien visitation religion. And I can absolutely tell you that I am not any of those things. I just firmly believe that the simplest most mundane explanation of something is usually the correct explanation. But siince I'm not part of the religion of visitation, I get labelled - so I tend to stay out of those conversations. Not because I give a crap what some anonymous poster on a conspiracy site thinks, it's just a waste of time to talk to someone who resorts to name calling and silly accusations when I don't jump on the bandwagon with my eyes glazed over.

The reality is pretty much the same as any religion. There is faith with no proof. I have had some respectful conversations with believers in visitation and I didn't change their belief and they didn't change my lack of belief. But it was respectful both ways and a good discussion. But those types of discussions are the exception now and not the rule - so I stay out of it usually. And while I do absolutely believe there must be intelligent life out there somewhere, I just don't believe we have ever been visited...which apparently makes me a paid disinfo agent...still waiting for my paycheck.

I just don't understand the need to label someone as a disinfo agent when they simply just don't believe in the same thing you do. I understand sometimes getting frustrated and having an emotional outburst, but putting a label on someone right from the start who disagrees with you is what is done when you don't have an intelligent argument.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheCanuckian

Quoth the guy who registered yesterday, no avatar, with half of their posting history dedicated to denying the existence of paid social media ops.

Just sayin'.

Wow that's funny. Certainly doesn't answer any of my questions nor does it prove anything.
Fact is im just a regular joe with a wife and kids and a job that has an observation about your post.

Sorry for being a snarky jerk, that was a poor joke.

Either way it doesn't bode well for debating, since I just got here and now I realize this it's better I don't post my critical thoughts, in case it angers the wrong person and I find myself banned like others have been for expressing critical thought.

You displayed some of the classic hallmarks that are cited in these kinds of threads, and I found that wicked funny. If you are truly curious about this topic, I encourage you to review the links I provided above. They provide a good jump-off point for further research.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Everyones posting a book so ill be brief...........keep in mind im not directing these at you per se........

I will say that I was agreeing with you on another thread, and you were so on the defensive that you continued to attack me despite the fact that I was totally in line with you, and even said the same exact things you were saying ...........perhaps that is part of the problem.....

Peoples are so anxious to see something that is not there, that they are rabid, in constant defensive mode, often lashing out even at those who they other wise would be in agreement with.......this mentality is typical of people who see disinfo agents everywhere......its almost a psychosis

Just because someone isnt as mature as youd like them to be......doesnt make them disinfo agents......

Just because someone picks at you, or trolls you, doesnt make them disinfo agents......

And just because someone challenges your Ideology , and you dont have the fortitude to withstand it, doesnt make that person a disinfo agent..........

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Just sayin'.

I always use critical thinking and ask questions first and look at other plausible explanations.

If that's me being a disinfo agent, then you got me! I didn't realize critical thinking would put you in the "shill" category, but it makes me realize something: If you disagree with someone they either make a mockery of you or call you a "shill".

Thanks for warning me early about this, I will stop wasting my time.

Sad but true brother. Although I would personally give more credit to the mods than that. They aren't going to ban you for critical thinking. I have had posts deleted, but it has been from straying off topic or having what I call an emotional outburst.

You will, however, be slandered and all but crucified by the herd if you have doubts and express those doubts in a critical but thoughtful post. I would advise that you simply avoid posting in some of the more emotional threads. You may notice that I have been a member for many years, but there are people who have joined relatively recently who have a far higher post count than I do. This isn't to say that I don't have things to contribute, I just usually read more than I post nowadays.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merriman Weir

The wide demographic spread and the relatively large user base, as well as the fringe nature of many of the topics make this an ideal testing ground, wouldn't you say? You could play with things like spin strength, polarization and user response.

That's just one possibility, I'm certain that if you were inclined, you could posit others.

No, if anything it's the worst testing ground imaginable as due to the demographic and ideological spread, it's harder to quantify any results. How would they know it's them that's actually made the 'difference' when the 'difference' will occur without their presence?

People are very different animals than when people were first creating communication models. They're more media-savvy and despite what many on here would like to think (re: 'sheeple') more people are switched on to the potential of media manipulation. People are, generally, more questioning and cynical of politicians, for example. (Even if they're not questioning enough, in my opinion). Also, through the internet &c, people are more aware of the nature of 'trolling' and can be hypersensitive to it. As such, "Strength of spin" would be a very difficult thing to test on a site full of skeptics, cynics, paranoiacs and people who will happily lap-up the biggest nonsense imaginable: again, it's already so polarised that all bases are already covered.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I believe it is ATS's members who are selected by staff.
These members take on different roles depending on the thread.
Role-playing. Different accounts.

These "shills" are actually members among us who we know and trust.
Weather they are paid or not, I don't know.

It's all for the sake of keeping the site going and interesting.
This whole site is one big conspiracy in itself.
Look to the background and you will find your answer.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint
People have different opinions, people have different interests. The fact that they differ makes them "disinfo agents"?

no.

only the obvious effort to convert.
example: mainstream/corporate science [the goal of which is to turn us all into robots] being rooted in nihilistic-consumerist materialism, is nowadays no different from the roman church in it's day, in its efforts to root out "heresy" and is employing all the same tactics, ironically against the same groups [minus itself of course]. the agentur of political control is growing ever more obvious, to those with some measure of awareness.

then there are the zombie-bots/ parrots,[as mentioned by dusty toad] who rapidly expose themselves as "believers" following their own brand of cult, reciting their own catechism [script] as ultimate truth.

nothing personal.
edit on 13-12-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: added comment

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dustytoad

reply to post by Dustytoad

I'm with you on the purpose of the DisInfo trolls, what about the rest? The hollow posters that are obviously fake...

I am saying those are one in the same, even if they don't know it themselves.. It's the way ideas spread, outside of a mind. They're like viruses.. These guys have their own virus that seeks to bind to the DNA of free thinking thought spreading Love.

You don't have to read their "hollow posts" and how can a poster be "fake". Maybe someones INFO is someone else s "disinfo". A free thinker does not disinclude anyone's ideas, if you choose to disagree and walk away how can that "infect you"!

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

edit on 12/13/2012 by Corruption Exposed because: sorry never mind

umm CE, you have experience with disinfo agents,
your opinion and insights would be valued

just sayin
edit on 13-12-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: added comment

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by lambs to lions

Everyone talks about paid shills or agents and assumes they must be the smooth, established and well spoken members trying to manipulate opinion at the deepest levels. (For the record..I'm still looking for who pays me for this stuff! lol)

THIS is where I think we see the REAL agents. Coming on, slapping an account together and then making threads with all the passion of an assignment at work......because that's precisely what they ARE to some people. Why not? They troll facebook and the other places on the net. ATS has a claimed membership of over 250,000 people. Real active numbers are below that of course, but still well into the top ratings world wide I'll bet.

So...they'd almost be remiss NOT to hit ATS with all the other high profile places on the net. I'm just glad ATS has the round-the-clock mod presence they do with the people they've chosen. When we SEE a few threads make it to the public view? They must be dealing with dozens.

edit on 13-12-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: typo

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

reply to post by The X

Do you wear a tin foil hat as well?
In all honesty much of what you say is assumption, for all we know these people could just be bored children or competitors trying to make this site worse so theirs look better.

That is far more viable then "shills" and "disinfo" agents wouldn't you say?

edit on 13-12-2012 by TheCanuckian because: (no reason given)

there is a problem with your post and others of the "it's just bored kids" posts

it's exactly what a disinfo agent/narc would say
i imagine the punks [original sense of the word] in cybercommand, are bored kids with ego problems too
when they're not fapping to their drone-porn, that is.

hmm 12 posts and you are seriously trying to DISPROVE the OP?
by using ridicule [tinfoil ] and deflection?

L
L good luck with that

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I wasn't going to post in this thread until I just saw a great example on a UFO thread.

My guess would be a stage separation of the North Korean rocket.

Okay so he believes it is the North Korean rocket, understandable, right?

I just tried to. Launch was at about 0100 UTC which would have been 0300 in Cape Town.
Still looks like a rocket though.

He has just admitted the times don't match up, but it still looks like a rocket, right? okay..

You are seeing the expanding gasses and fuel released at stage separation, illuminated by sunlight. You are not seeing the vehicle itself.

So now we AREN'T seeing a rocket???

The parts would not have fallen in Cape Town. But it was not the North Korean rocket. The timing is wrong.
On the other hand the timing is perfect for the X-37B launch.

Do you all see this? Now "it was not the North Korean rocket" but hey the timing was perfect for another rocket, right?

Phage, the mystery is solved. Very nice voice clip from a local radio station where a scientist from Sutherland, where our biggest telescopes are, explains it all.

It was an OTV 3, orbital test vehicle. The flares was seen because of reverse burning to get back into orbit.

Link

Everything there, straight from the scientists mouth.

Sorry guys, no ufo here. It is indeed the x37.

vvv

Now we have another person verifying this info to be true, even though the Link provided explains nothing.

WTF, not convincing!?? Dude, its a clip from one of our biggest radio stations. It is confirmed that is indeed the X37b.

Case closed.

vvv

This is true, because I say it is....

First, who said anything about tumbling? What is seen is exhaust gasses, not the vehicle.
Second, that quote makes no sense.

So NOW it is not a rocket, but it is exhaust gas? And the off-topic muddying of the waters "that quote makes no sense"

Good idea. Then you can speculate in private and never get any answers.

This is where I stopped. It is SO obvious that members on this site have agendas. Great thread, I'm learning a lot of new information.

As with the UFO thread in this my post. The topic is now de-railed and any conversation pertaining to the object being a ufo will be ridiculed and mocked because the 'experts' have so indignantly verified it's a rocket. Now the thread killers pat themselves on the back with stars and good words and move on to the next thread to de-rail, i'm sorry 'debunk'.

edit on 13-12-2012 by WhoFeelsitKnowsit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I could imagine that if i wished to both degrade and confuse the ability of a site..to share coherent converse in light of reasonably factual knowledge.....

I would want to post spurious posts of all types .....
Distributing false "facts" and baseless "information"...as well as degrading others input with pre emptive or reactive interjections to either disinform or lead astray from useful info bytes...

Hollow OPs....on frivilous subjects or proof...etc(spoofing)
Threadkilling posts....(ambushing)
Counter arguments that send the subject far afield...(distraction, misdirection)
Injection of preprogrammed (memes?) themes directed towards manipulation of concensus...(social engineering)
Apeals to emotionality to the distraction of reality (heart throbbing)
Claims to personal expertise to outweigh opposing opinion(bulldozing)
Mixing artful fiction with fact to destroy the coherence,,,(myth making)
There could be multilayered purposes and aims that are serviced by infiltrating just a few different sites,
access to a lot of open minds.....
Comming here at anytime day or nite is like a dip in the human mind pool...
the flavour changes rapidly enough to keep us returnoing on a regular basis....In fact eager to both share new info or absorb some...
A perfect breeding grounds for social; engineers....
id bet its going on now too.....The TOTAL INFORMATION AWARENESS program voted down bycongress is still being carried out...
The govboys are gonna be omniprescent very soon.....
The trouble with that is they really will begin to think they are GODS.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join