It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DisInfo agents, bogus members posting threads...why?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I have seen many times evidence of people working to an agenda that involves in very simplistic terms being the person that talks the loudest and for the longest.
It seems that somewhere a group of people have decided that the best way to counter truth is to flood the threads with posters saying the same thing over and over again, if the boards are full of these posts, that these posts remain in perpetuity, in their mind the poisoning of the wellspring is achieved.

If anyone comes to ATS looking for answers with regards to a large number of topics relating specifically to government and the way it is treating the population, they find the same posters over and over again in different threads, doing the same thing.
Truth is, these posters have no idea if what they say is the truth, but, they think by saying it time after time, that it must be the truth.

And unfortunately, we tend to remember the last thing that went through our minds with greatest clarity, hence, being the person that always has the last word, or tries to, being the person that talks the loudest for the longest, unbalances recall of the threads away from being a quest for better understanding into, a railroad of directed government message and denial of even the most basic of discovery processes.

By skewing the debate into name calling, derisory remarks, off topic rebuttals, all helpful in ensuring the truth remains undisturbed by any decent process of debate, leaves a casual visitor with no better understanding of the topics and at worst, that they have nothing to worry about and the government has never/is not doing anything against you as a person.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

hmm well that is paranoia and if your paranoid, then you don't have anything to worry about, you will fit right in at ATS.

edit on 13/12/2012 by Thurisaz because: pfft grammar !! with one sentence omg

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by lambs to lions

We should take into consideration that it is the Christmas season. The holidays tend to send the depressed into a deeper state of depression, the lonely into a deeper state of loneliness. With that in mind it makes sense that maybe some of them are just looking for a place -any place- to try to fit in and belong.

They may see stars and flags as acceptance, replies as personal attention- and they desperately want them. They may want to be recognized, bombarding the membership with thread after thread in an attempt to gain that recognition. Maybe they just want to be "one of the guys" and think if they are frenzied in their posts and replies people will know who they are, that they exist.

These people may not be very interested or knowledgeable in the subjects they post about, they just want to be one of "the cool kids". In many cases they seem desperate for any kind of acceptance. Sometimes it's almost like that "outsider" kid in middle school who is desperate to make friends and fit in. They would do or say anything to be one of the "insiders". When they are called out or attacked they run home and cry into their pillows in hurt and shame. They are easily broken.

I'm not saying that all the new members you describe are this type of person, but I suspect that many are. It's almost like watching that kid in the schoolyard that tries and tries to get in the game and when the other kids finally let them in (after much pleading) it is found that they do not know how to play. It's sad.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   

I remember hearing something about a program that enables a single disinfo agent to control many fake accounts on a forum...peppering the forum with BS. Maybe that's what is going on around here. It seems that way to me sometimes, when I see the same kind and level of ignorance spouted over and over and over by dumbasses.

/shrug

edit on 13-12-2012 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
As the Site owner mentioned this before regarding ATS as a "private" forum....that doesnt prevent the younger crowd from treating this as a "chat" room....jokes, "oh yeahs?'...and all. I think too, there is some truth to the dis-info agent theory as well. As a discussion forum...its quickly moving away from that.

We seem overrun by the younger crowd who doesnt search a topic 1st to see if we've researched and discussed it before..and who use a lot of capital letters and exclamation points, and they argue, laugh and post about un-related things mid-thread...so quite possibly...thats a form of of dis-info.

I think in its own way, it places a negative on topics important to those ATS'rs educated in them by previous forum discussions that the younger membership could care less about. Thats evident. A form of DIS-information? Yes. And it didnt use to be like that....but now its about 50/50...so I think youre not far off the truth here.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by lambs to lions
reply to post by Dustytoad

I'm with you on the purpose of the DisInfo trolls, what about the rest? The hollow posters that are obviously fake...

who are you to judge what is a hollow post or fake.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Eidolon23

YES YES YES...I noticed very important topics being kicked to the 2nd page rather quickly at times and old threads being dredged up that have no significance.

ALWAYS check pg 2.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   

People who do not agree with nonsensical conspiracy theories are not "dis-info agents". You are stroking your own ego if you think the feds are taking the time to monitor and post on this site about nonsense. Conspiracy theorists are nothing new and logic and reason tends to push them to the fringes without the government being involved.

ATS does not ever blow the lid off of cover ups. What ATS does is provide a forum for people who think reality is too boring or people who do not have the intelligence to interpret reality logically. People who like to use their imaginations to come up with alternative explanations for events happening in the world. It should not be surprising that there are people who try and refute nonsense like chemtrails, shapeshifters, 911 b.s., partisan political crap that has no basis in reality other than people amplifying their biases (birther nonsense), and people who present their ideas to reasoned people and have them shot down with verifiable evidence and logic.

ATS serves a great purpose amongst those who actually care about the truth and don't let their desires and wishes or their biases get in the way. However, it also serves to perpetuate nonsensical theories amongst people who live in a bubble where no evidence or arguments that conflict with their dogmatically held theories can enter. I am glad that the so called "shills" are here because they tend to present arguments against the B.S. on this site.

Unfortunately not enough people on this site took a course in logic or at the very least read Carl Sagan's "baloney Detection Kit".

To all the "disinfo agents", debunk on!

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
with all due respect to my fellow members...you do have the right TO NOT respond. if i commented on every crazy lunatic-like post on ATS, i would be on this site for 12 hours each and everyday. during the election run-up, the amount of false, insane posts were extraodinary, and i actually got caught up and was banned for a number of days due to responses i made from frustration over people just out and out not telling the truth. i stayed away for a time from answering those type of threads, because it became obvious i was being played.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
This thread would be classified as "one of those threads". Bacon guy topped you in the intrest group of things. I've been on ATS for years and notice, to keep the site going, stupid stuff gets posted during slumps. At least we aren't discussing indigo children and their role on 21/12. Fairies haven't been discussed yet and they may have something to do with climate change. Oh, its out there folks. Way out there. The people on this site are trying to keep it real while we fall off the imaginary fiscal cliff and role into another year of government BS while others will be contemplating their future after another failed end world. The question is what is next? We can't keep discussing bacon forever. The US government knows US citizens are edgy due to the economy. Allowing us to carry weapons could benefit the welfare of this country. Legalizing pot could keep citizens numb for the time being as we enter a period of questioning our existance. If we are not united by God we have to be united as a people because divided we fall. It is a proven fact.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   

edit on 12/13/2012 by Corruption Exposed because: sorry never mind

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   

I don't know if there really are disinfo agents or not with out the shadow of a doubt. I don't see purpose. It seems like a futile attempt at hiding a truth of some sort but on a conspiracy site, wouldn't that draw further attention to the subject at hand? We are a curious bunch. They wouldn't chance us ripping those theories apart and finding out the truth. If there are agents who wished to sabotage this site, I would go for the flooding of info instead. Give away the info but give so much of it that the pertinent pieces would be lost in an endless sea irrelevance.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   

It's a bunch of kids fooling around and people who enjoy defaming this site and clogging it up with useless material. While ATS has the most information, overwhelming it with crap information is a tactic often used in order to make a site not such a viable source of information.
It's not the CIA or the TPTB or any of that crap.

It's competitors trying to reduce another competitors market by providing them misleading information.

I can say this place has lost the lustre it once had mainly because it hasn't been pruned in what seems to be 50 years.

Can we not get some semblance that this place isn't just a conspiracy archival dump of mostly fact-less, baseless stories?

Of course ATS would love for you to believe their are "shills" and "dinsinfo agents", it helps sells their whole idea which generates cash for them every time you click a link.

Paranoia/Conspiracies are a salesman's buffet. Serving you 100 different types of food but only 10 are actually worth eating. Often times even what's worth eating is cheap and forgettable. Sometimes you get that 1 great dish that keeps you coming back though.
edit on 13-12-2012 by TheCanuckian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by mysterioustranger
As the Site owner mentioned this before regarding ATS as a "private" forum....that doesnt prevent the younger crowd from treating this as a "chat" room....jokes, "oh yeahs?'...and all. I think too, there is some truth to the dis-info agent theory as well. As a discussion forum...its quickly moving away from that.

We seem overrun by the younger crowd who doesnt search a topic 1st to see if we've researched and discussed it before..and who use a lot of capital letters and exclamation points, and they argue, laugh and post about un-related things mid-thread...so quite possibly...thats a form of of dis-info.

I think in its own way, it places a negative on topics important to those ATS'rs educated in them by previous forum discussions that the younger membership could care less about. Thats evident. A form of DIS-information? Yes. And it didnt use to be like that....but now its about 50/50...so I think youre not far off the truth here.

The search is antiquated and old technology. If people don't get it right now, even using the search, they will go on their merry way.
I challenge ATS to make it easier to know you might have posted a duplicate topic, something rather simple to do pro grammatically. They could compare titles and links in the messages and look for potential matches and notify the user prior to submission....wait....why am I giving away hints to ATS who doesn't pay me a cent?

There are better ways, they are coming, where and when I don't know!

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by The X

Do you wear a tin foil hat as well?
In all honesty much of what you say is assumption, for all we know these people could just be bored children or competitors trying to make this site worse so theirs look better.

That is far more viable then "shills" and "disinfo" agents wouldn't you say?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Inevitably there will always be those who create accounts on ATS for less than sincere interest in alternative news or conspiracy theories. I'll go ahead and disregard the bored pimple faced teenagers looking for a giggle and focus on the others... My question to you guys is 'why?'

Lately, I've noticed more and more pop up. Typically their threads and posts stick out like a sore thumb. It's obvious there is no real interest in the topic, and by and large the posts are quickly thrown together or even incoherent. What's confusing is many of these bogus members aren't posting out of this world claims for attention, or other obvious reasons.

Are they phishing attempts? Profiling? Gauging members interest in a topic?

Does it have something to do with the 2012 popularity?

What gives????

I'm not sure exactly which threads/members you are talking about...but here are a couple of thoughts.

1. Are you sure the "disinfo" isn't simply information that you don't agree with?

2. Ever consider that perhaps those "agents" speculate that YOU are the "bogus member"? Disagreement can be a funny thing and easily distorts our perceptions of the proverbial "other side".

3. Do some of your posts in other people's threads also fit this model? I know you are a devout christian...advocating something like creationism in a thread about evolution could be construed as being both "disinformation" and originating from someone who "had no interest in the subject".

Just sayin'...

Again...I'm not saying you DID do any of these things nor am I excusing the posts of others. Like I said...I'm not even sure which posts/threads you are referring to. These were just the first thoughts that came to mind.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive
Would the 'bacon' guy be one of them?

Yea I think it's safe to assume 2012 brought a few in since every other thread seems to be on the subject.

I wondered how many we lost right after the elections. People who where just here to stir it up.

Not the bacon guy, I love his threads. Who doesn't love reading about bacon related issues (ie. the bacon hat). No, I'm not a disinfo agent, gggrrr. But I do love bacon.
edit on 13-12-2012 by RedShirt73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by TheCanuckian

Quoth the guy who registered yesterday, no avatar, with half of their posting history dedicated to denying the existence of paid social media ops.

Just sayin'.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   

reply to post by TheLieWeLive

I've noticed three threads started in the last 24 hours that were hastily thrown together with little to no content. The posters were all brand new members who hit their post count and started a thread. The mods have done a good job closing them down. I wish I could name names but I can't. Anyways, I'm curious what the purpose for these threads are? There seemingly is no point, but why go through the trouble? Bizarre.

Billy Shears ring a bell? Although that one definitely had some content. Sort of. And of course, a sock puppet or two to help out.

Why they do it? That's a good question. But I'm not so sure these are all teens. Some of these threads are more like college age guys living in their parents basement. Smart, but often socially challenged. And some may very well be sliding the forums.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I knew a Union Steward in a DOD workplace that refused to do his job and spends his 8 hours a day doing nothing but posting on sites like this. He's all over the Cryptome site.

The military officers leave him to his playing, since he's a scary Union Steward. He does them right when big people travel thru their area and wines and dines them and puts on a good show to impress the upper bosses.

His site posting and downloading's resulted in the Communications folks having to visit him a few times after he infected their network with trojans and viruses. ....Still even they let him be.

He's got to be related to somebody really really high on the food chain.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join