It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Went to Social Security office in Texas and didn't hear English spoken for 30 minutes

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

one of the requirements to get a green card is to learn english, this is one of the differences between legal and illegal immigrants, so yes it is a requirement if you want to be here legally.

You may not agree with a federal buildings choice of operation but thats how # rolls along borders between rich and poor nations, to assume otherwise is being ignorant.

also its alot harder for adults to learn new languages, case in point my brother in law came here when he was 10 and speaks perfect english, his older brother came here in his early 30s and speaks horrible english and hes been here for a decade longer then my brother in law.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Now careful OP you are white and dont want to appear racist. That is the first card someone plays when they are losing a debate.

When you immigrate to another country you should learn the language that is spoken by the majority, you should assimilate into the culture of that land.

Remember we as Americans are suppose to be PC, we are suppose to cater and bend to everyone who comes here and learn their languages.
Well not everyone just to those south of us.

You gotta realize most the people screaming racist are actually racist themselves and put the Mexicans to the south on a pedestal, they dont complain that there isnt french for our Quebec neighbors to the north who come over but they will fight tooth and nail for the spanish speaking illegal immigrants.

edit on 6-12-2012 by ker2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by EPTruth
I know Exactly how you feel (Being in El Paso myself) What really gets me pissed is when you say hello to be polite a lot will give you a dirty look and walk off. Don't get me wrong, there are tons of friendly folks as well.
I have a lot of friends who are Hispanic but don't know Spanish and they get put down a lot like it's a crime or something.

Couldn't agree with you more. I am hispanic and do not know any Spanish. Folks approach me ALL THE TIME, speaking spanish and when I answer them in english I get such hateful looks, it's crazy. I have learned to blow it off but seriously, though this country is a melting pot, the offical language is english. I understand when you have fresh immigrants they may not know english yet, but they need to learn if they want to be able to comminuicate.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
For those that claim that the USA is a melting pot, I disagree. This would mean that all the "ingredients" mix well together, which is clearly not the case.
There have been several people and several articles that have described it more as a "salad bowl" where the ingredients are thrown together, sometimes forcefully, whether they want to be or not.
This to me, is the correct way to describe us.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cornczech
SO...what are ya'll's opinions on the destruction of our culture...and what are ya'll's opinions on how "political correctness" has destroyed our American culture.....

El Paso = Spanish word
Texas = Caddo word (natives of the region)
America = Latin word

Nothing about where you live indicates that you are living in a place that should be speaking English.

Originally posted by Cornczech
Or am I really a "racist" because I resent that I couldn't even understand what was being said inside an American government facility because I only speak ENGLISH....

You aren't really "racist". You are more what they call "Arizona Ignorant". It's kind of like being a racist but we can't really get mad at you because it's actually not your fault. You live in a box where you have been convinced that your surroundings should be homogeneous.

American culture is a transient concept. It's why we are awesome. If you want to live in a homogeneous and stagnant nation, North Korea might suit your tastes.
edit on 6-12-2012 by Cuervo because: important clarification

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Nothing about where you live indicates that you are living in a place that should be speaking English

Certainly makes more sense than speaking the language of the foreign country south of our border.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I think Kat Williams will break it down for me.. If you love the country of your decent more than America, and feel its not worth learning English then by all means head back..

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog
reply to post by Cuervo

Nothing about where you live indicates that you are living in a place that should be speaking English

Certainly makes more sense than speaking the language of the foreign country south of our border.

As opposed to speaking the foreign language of the foreign country across the Atlantic ocean?

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

reply to post by Cuervo

As opposed to speaking the foreign language of the foreign country across the Atlantic ocean?

Which has been the predominant language spoken (in one variation or another) for at least a couple of centuries?
Yes

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Komonazmuk
haha, el paso.

Finally someone said it. Oh, the irony!

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by yadda333

Don't slander ATS because of one persons opinion and outlook. ATS specifically states that views of members are not reflective of views of the site owners/staff. I appreciate that ATS has evolved and possibly to your disliking but there is still some excellent quality stuff being posted here.

Sorry, it's just that moaning about what ATS has become is pointless. We could just contribute more. I am a self confessed lazy poster, unless I get emotional.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
So how many languages are us english speaking Americans expected to learn to not be considered racist?

French? Spanish? Japanese? Arabic?

GET REAL you cant learn the languages or cater to all languages for immigrants who come here. Why is Spanish the special exception? hmmmmmm?
edit on 6-12-2012 by hellbjorn012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

reply to post by Cuervo

Which has been the predominant language spoken (in one variation or another) for at least a couple of centuries?
Yes

A couple of centuries is nothing. Different languages have been spoken here for centuries before that. You act as if America has a static culture and an official language.

I'm not trying to get all "anthro" on you but your position is a bit naive in the bigger picture. You are living but one lifetime so is seems as if your childhood should represent something permanent. It doesn't. It represents nothing but that period of time in American culture.

You can't expect a brand new nation like the US, who is essentially an occupying rogue British force, to maintain any sort of mono-ethnic culture. There are nations who have been around since the written word and they have a persistent ethnic identity (China is a great example). The US is a newborn in the world and we haven't yet begun to settle into any sort of identity. Would you like to freeze our culture right when our biggest cultural legacies are obesity and reality tv? We will die with that mentality.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by hellbjorn012

Because of agendas, plain and simple, Texas do not belong to the spanish it belong to a group of Wealthy Americans that runs the state resources, immigrants just think they own the state.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

You really have it all wrong my friend, America have an identity and English is the predominat language, spanish and any other language are nothing but secondary in the food chain and will never take over.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

Lol u took the time to break that down just to prove him wrong?

I would be upset as well, dhs where I live is all Mexican staff. Everything is in spanish and subtitled in English.
So now Spanish is Americas main language? This is not only for dhs and other government facilities.
Walmart greeters where Mexican and speaking Spanish. Where I live people pump gas for you. The pumpers are usually Spanish.

I feel like the minority in my own country.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
Looks like I'm in the Stormfront part of ATS again!

Looks more like this to me..
www.mexica-movement.org...
edit on 6-12-2012 by hellbjorn012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
First of all, I highly doubt your claim that ONLY Spanish was spoken. I think probably both English and Spanish were spoken and you're just upset about the Spanish part and fudged a little to make a point. I have no issue with being a bi or tri lingual nation. Who cares?

Oh right... you do because you think your culture is under attack. Do tell how having a Catholic Church, a Mosque and Spanish speaking neighbors destroys your culture. How does a Catholic Church prevent you from doing everything you culturally identify with? Does it block the path to your Baptist Church somehow? Does hearing Spanish being spoken around you prevent you from speaking English?

Freedom is American culture. You do understand the word Freedom don't you? Free to be who are, even if your skin is brown and your name is Fernando or Sayeed and their freedom to be brown and non Baptist has absolutely no affect on your freedom to be white and Baptist.

Perhaps if you like, you can start a petition to redefine who freedom applies to but be warned I may just have to start one of my own that redefines freedom to exclude white women that are Baptist in Texas.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by Cuervo

You really have it all wrong my friend, America have an identity and English is the predominat language, spanish and any other language are nothing but secondary in the food chain and will never take over.

Get back to me in 15 years and we'll see. As I said, we do have an identity and it is unique. It is unique because it is fluid and always changing. This is why we will survive.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Cuervo, you have it exactly right my friend.

Arizona Ignorant or AI is a brilliant way of putting it.
Some people get nervous when Spanish is being spoke around them.
The AI assume they MUST be talking about them.
When if they only understood they'd realize how paranoid
and prejudice they are being.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join