Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Went to Social Security office in Texas and didn't hear English spoken for 30 minutes

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyGreenEyes

Originally posted by Djayed
reply to post by xedocodex

I agree, with this type of logic on this thread we are the ones who should get kicked out and let the Native Americans have their country back. But most Americans like to ignore the genocide and torture of millions of Native Americans when we came and took over their country.

On a side note, I always wondered what "America" or whatever it would be called would be like if the Native Americans were able to thrive as a cultural and become a nation instead of individual tribes.

What country? They didn't "become a nation", as you even pointed out. They were scattered tribes, with many languages, that fought each other as often as not. They are not "Native Americans". A native American is someone born in the United States of America. Call them Amarinds or something, if Indian won't do(and yeah, these days, that can be confusing). But can we please toss out that utterly racist and elitist term "Native American"?

I really don't understand how anyone that ever studied the early history of this continent can pretend that all these many tribes were the same people. Such a claim is out of touch with reality.

the Americas is more than the USA , it is a continent!so saying a native american is someone born in the USA is just plain wrong they could be born in mexico and be American or anywhere on the continent.An american is someone born in the Americas.

A citizen of the USA is born(or adopted by) in the USA

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Spanish was spoken in this state a damn sight longer than english. Texas is a culture all its own. I think more Texans would lighten up if they learned spanish. I enjoy being able to understand and speak a bit. It lets me know who is going to be problematic when they talk smack about me in spanish thinking I don't understand.

The only people we are hurting by not expanding our knowledge is ourselves.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla
Adapt. Learn. Evolve.
Become better.

So, its us who has to adapt, learn and "evolve"? Not the people coming here? What about our culture? Why are people like you so worried about protecting other cultures, but when it comes to ours you're willing to just let it disappear?

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
It's the same as the difference between consensual relations and rape.
One is by agreement the other by force.

How dare you expect your tax dollars to be serving you!
America isn't a melting pot if your own culture and language aren't included.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
The crux of this issue is that non-citizens ARE getting benefits, lots of benefits. Taxpayer money is being spent to advertise these benefits in Mexico. Just astounding that we passively allow this.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
We should not have become a bi-lingual country.
Long before I was aware we were being over run with illegal immigrants, the automated answering machines at banks, utility companies and government offices asked me in spanish FIRST if I wanted ENGLISH to press 1 now.

If they had not done, nor had signs painted and everything displayed in two languages then these people would have been forced to learn the language.
Because we have offered them this option, they never have had to.

The first test at a SS office would be if you haven't been here long enough to learn the language, then you
probably haven't been here long enough to qualify for benefits, either.

We don't offer options to French speaking Canadians, do we, and they are right on the border also?
So that doesn't wash.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
It's the same over here in England, but all you hear is Polish

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by saracene
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I will have to call B.S. on your comment.I have never come across an Indian(from India) that can not speak english. The accent might be different, but they speak english. English is the official language of that part of the world.

Well, That is certainly your perogative. I've got absolutely nothing to gain or reason to make anything up here. Frankly, trading my integrity to gain a debate point isn't worth it and never has been. I'm relating what I personally lived and personally saw over a decade and a half of being out there with it. So....calling B.S. is actually a personal thing, to be real on it. As long as we know what we're talking about here....

By the way... The Indians are the ones with the Turbans.
It doesn't surprise me if even truckers look stupid when asked about it. It got bad enough after 9/11 with the pure ignorance from fellow drivers, I outright said something in public more than once about dirty looks or crappy treatment directed toward them, thinking they were Muslim or something. Stupidity knows absolutely no bounds sometimes.... Oh well.. I share my experiences on this. Take it or leave it.... It's a free country...for now.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Well then..... if White equates to 'Racist', then I will proudly wear the title of RACIST. I will embrace it as something that sets me different than all other races. I will never apologize for my beliefs, simply because some other race wants to label me something-something-phobic. It's You.... you deal with it.

I don't think white sympathies will get fooled again. We see the outcome of our generosity accommodating others, and the attack waged upon us.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

Man you guys over there sure do spend a lot of time thinking about us

But actually it's you who've changed your accent. American English is much closer to the English spoken at the time the colonies were developed. But Around 200 hundred years ago the upper class of England changed they way the spoke so everyone else followed suit.
edit on 6-12-2012 by zonetripper2065 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Plotus

Its kind of like do you want me to go all Hitler up in here? You know us white devils do it the best so if you really want me to be hateful genocidal maniac I can be.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by alldaylong
Being an Englishman myself who speaks "Proper English", i always thought that Americans spoke a bastardised form of our language anyway

Oh and Aussies dont? What about Canadians and South Africans and even Indians?
Yes Aussies may call their language "Australian" but its nothing more than a "bastardized" version of English as well.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by NeoSpace
It's the same over here in England, but all you hear is Polish

Do you , thats news to me.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by zonetripper2065

Err no , american english is american english It is nothing like the olde English spoke 200 years ago?
American english and the accent is from the blend of french , english and spanish inflections and mix of cultures and spellings.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
The reality is that Social Security parlays to the needy. The needy MAY mostly be of another race and language. Look at the stats. The figures speak for themselves.

ETA: Have to be PC!
edit on 6-12-2012 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by gambon

Uhhh, yes. But then again I'm just a dumb Yank what do I know aside from being a useless slob. You're British so obviously much smarter than I, perhaps you should look into it.
And for the record, Olde English died out around the 1300's but yet again I have no idea what I'm talking about.
edit on 6-12-2012 by zonetripper2065 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyGreenEyes

Originally posted by Djayed
reply to post by xedocodex

I agree, with this type of logic on this thread we are the ones who should get kicked out and let the Native Americans have their country back. But most Americans like to ignore the genocide and torture of millions of Native Americans when we came and took over their country.

On a side note, I always wondered what "America" or whatever it would be called would be like if the Native Americans were able to thrive as a cultural and become a nation instead of individual tribes.

What country? They didn't "become a nation", as you even pointed out. They were scattered tribes, with many languages, that fought each other as often as not. They are not "Native Americans". A native American is someone born in the United States of America. Call them Amarinds or something, if Indian won't do(and yeah, these days, that can be confusing). But can we please toss out that utterly racist and elitist term "Native American"?

I really don't understand how anyone that ever studied the early history of this continent can pretend that all these many tribes were the same people. Such a claim is out of touch with reality.

Have you studied any history of this nation yourself? The only reason why they are called Indians is because that idiot Columbus thought he made it to India. And the early settlers were just too lazy to learn the different tribes so the name stuck which is viewed as racist. I'll skip your obvious lack of knowledge about genetics of how all the different tribes can be one race.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I would like to put in my two cents on this topic. I am from Oklahoma, and since the late 1980s, Spanish has been a large part of the curriculum in schools. I have also worked in fast food in my younger days and a large portion of the employees speak only Spanish, thus I was able to learn conversational Spanish skills.

Now... here's where it gets interesting. I don't mind speaking Spanish. If I am in a restaurant and my server is having difficulty understanding me or I, him, I will bust out the linguistics and we can communicate better. My only requisite is that he at least make an honest attempt at it.

Government offices should always start with English then proceed to Spanish just as I do. I speak German and French as well and would do the same in their countries. I will always attempt the native tongue of whatever country I'm in and then proceed to English if the other person is comfortable with English and lets me know this by some gesture.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I will like to thanks the op for such a great topic as a "Latino woman" I have to say to all those that are complaining about the reasons for this post and the so call "melting pot" I see that you are posting in English so either you are actually Americans or took the time to learn English.

For all those that can not even read or speak English in the US of America this is for you.

Aprende a hablar el jodio lenguaje y dejen de ser flojos, tu estas viviendo en America aprended el lenguaje oh devuelvete at tu pais

edit on 6-12-2012 by marg6043 because: spanglish

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by wingsfan

Originally posted by Druscilla

Adapt. Learn. Evolve.
Become better.

Tell that to the immigrants, the onus is NOT on us to accommodate them!

Both English and Spanish are languages of militaristic conquering immigrants.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join