It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Went to Social Security office in Texas and didn't hear English spoken for 30 minutes

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreenGlassDoor
reply to post by tgidkp

This. This. This again

I don't mind Spanish being spoken, but the Cinco de Mayo crap drives me nuts. The police run DUI check points on Cinco, but do not do it on the 4th. School children in LA County cannot wear American flags on Cinco either, because fights break out. It makes me believe they are not happy to be in America.

It is one thing to communicate and get your point across, it is entirely another to replace one culture with another.

They are not happy being Americans. But they still want the land and believe it is and always was theirs and therefore the plan of Aztlan is to reconquer the Southwestern States. They do this because they CAN. Our politicians and businesses are rewarding people who refuse to learn English and sneak over the borders breaking laws and demanding free stuff and rights even American citizens don't get. Yes, they do it because they can and because they don't have to learn English to get stuff. Politicians are making it easy for them.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Cornczech

What do I think? I think that if you're a bigot and don't understand the phrase "the great melting pot".

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
reply to post by Night Star

When people immigrate here, it is required that they learn English.

They are not required to learn English.

They are required to learn SOME English and learn a bit about the Constitution and some civics to get citizenship. And also they have to sign an OATH that they have not been a member of a Communist Organization for five years prior to application.
edit on 6-12-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

It's obvious you have no idea about what America stands for. It's a melting pot of many different cultures.

Italians, Germans, and Chinese coming through Ellis Island did learn the language because they had to to survive. Now we have electonics in six different languages, Press 2 for English, and yes the Spanish speaking often refuse to learn English because they DON'T have to.
So, it's not about being the melting pot. If you have ever been inside an INS office you would know that no country in the world could survive having to have every single language available to people who refuse to learn the base language of a nation. This is all part of a deliberate breakdown of culture.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
reply to post by Night Star

You said when people immigrate here, they are required to learn English. This is not true. Immigrants do not have to learn English. The only immigrants who are required to learn English( and limited English at that) are people who are going through the Naturalization process to become US citizens. Which is the info you posted.

Immigrants are not required to become naturalized citizens and that means they don't have to learn English.

Se habla Espanol and many other languages as a result.

Well thanks for pointing out the difference between legal immigration and people living here illegally.

edit on 6-12-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I will have to call B.S. on your comment.I have never come across an Indian(from India) that can not speak english. The accent might be different, but they speak english. English is the official language of that part of the world.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cornczech
Just to point out...this is NOT (or is that "ain't") EUROPE!
El Paso IS on the border....but I can tell you....do you think they spoke GERMAN in the old PRUSSIAN part of Poland when there was no longer Prussia? Texas WON and Mexico LOST...(or did it???????) I am not pissed because Spanish was USED...but that ENGLISH NEVER was used........last I checked...even El Paso is still in America.....

Texas won and Mexico lost; you won your war to continue slavery fair and square right? Because apparently unprovoked military action entitles you to another country's territory.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

That's not true. Belgium has 3 languages (Dutch, German and French) and they also are fluent in English.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Looks like I'm in the Stormfront part of ATS again!

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Yeaaaah, that is a shame that there are all thoooooose people there. Imagine them having a job - maybe YOUR job.

Oh come on. There are always at least TWO sides of the coin. The office clerks did learn their job, and that involves dealing with a majority of spanish-speaking clients. How could you defy them the learned lesson to use a language most of their clients speak?

Of course, I don't understand why they use ONLY one language. Could have said the numbers in English, too.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tetrarch42

Originally posted by Cornczech
Just to point out...this is NOT (or is that "ain't") EUROPE!
El Paso IS on the border....but I can tell you....do you think they spoke GERMAN in the old PRUSSIAN part of Poland when there was no longer Prussia? Texas WON and Mexico LOST...(or did it???????) I am not pissed because Spanish was USED...but that ENGLISH NEVER was used........last I checked...even El Paso is still in America.....

Texas won and Mexico lost; you won your war to continue slavery fair and square right? Because apparently unprovoked military action entitles you to another country's territory.

If we want to play that game then mexico is just as bad as they used military action to control that land as well. Bare in mind the Mexican people have no native roots to that Area of the Americas so its not like they were defending what was "rightfully" theres. The conqueror became the conquered, Oldest story in the book

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   

No, you aren't racist, and wow......that's ridiculous! Of course, I have lived in Texas, so it doesn't surprise me. What do I think? I think our culture is endangered, and we should push for minority protection. Any place, I mean, where white is the minority. That would include a LOT of Texas! If someone disagrees, then they haven't seen the very real discrimination that can occur in such places.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla

Originally posted by wingsfan

Originally posted by Druscilla

Adapt. Learn. Evolve.
Become better.

Tell that to the immigrants, the onus is NOT on us to accommodate them!

Oh the agony.
I wonder how much you travel abroad?
Would you expect anyone to accommodate your English bias in Russia, Sweden, France, China, anywhere else around the globe?

Quick; December 21 is about to happen and you may be forced to immigrate to a non-English speaking country to survive. How many languages do you speak?

What's the poorest country you've ever visited?
What's the richest country you've ever visited?

Be thankful for what you DO have as due some accident of birth, you just happen to have been born in a country where through some warped sense superiority and entitlement you feel it necessary to impose your values on anyone and everyone you consider as 'lesser'.

No, you have that all backwards. It is the Hispanic immigrants that feel they have the right to impose their values upon people in the country they chose to live in. Let them adapt, like most other immigrants manage to do.

It isn't "English boas" to expect people to speak English in a country where the national language (which should also be the OFFICIAL language) is English. You ask if some one would go to another country, and expect them to accommodate the English speaker, let you fail to see that you expect this country to do exactly that with Spanish speakers. Oh, the irony!

What we expect is for some to stop forcing people to cater to their Spanish bias.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Just out of interest, when was the last time the OP heard any Native American dialect spoken?

The same rules apply, surely?

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Djayed
reply to post by xedocodex

I agree, with this type of logic on this thread we are the ones who should get kicked out and let the Native Americans have their country back. But most Americans like to ignore the genocide and torture of millions of Native Americans when we came and took over their country.

On a side note, I always wondered what "America" or whatever it would be called would be like if the Native Americans were able to thrive as a cultural and become a nation instead of individual tribes.

What country? They didn't "become a nation", as you even pointed out. They were scattered tribes, with many languages, that fought each other as often as not. They are not "Native Americans". A native American is someone born in the United States of America. Call them Amarinds or something, if Indian won't do(and yeah, these days, that can be confusing). But can we please toss out that utterly racist and elitist term "Native American"?

I really don't understand how anyone that ever studied the early history of this continent can pretend that all these many tribes were the same people. Such a claim is out of touch with reality.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by xedocodex

Originally posted by Xoanon
Hi,

I was just wondering if any of the proponents of diversity on this thread are capable of providing an example of where this has ever worked successfully. Specifically, wherein diverse cultures somehow found themselves living together and depending on the same resources, yet remain atomized in to very distinct groups that speak different languages.

Sure, go ahead, try Africa.

Have fun..

Any large city in America.

Take Chicago for example, you have Greek Town, China Town, Pilsen and The Little Village (Mexican), Little Italy, etc.

Go into most of those neighborhoods/areas/stores, and you will hear them speak their own language. But in most stores, they will speak English to those that don't speak their language (most depend on a lot of visitors/tourists for their economies).

Honestly, diversity is not a bad thing. But having a negative view of other cultures is a self-limiting perspective.

Chicago? really? Have you looked at the crime rates there? Sure, all that diversity is working out great.....

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   
The OP needs to count him self lucky that he doesn't live in the uk, your problems are nothing compaired to what has evolved in the uk

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by stinka

You aren't kidding! I have talked to many living there, and from all I hear, it's really bad these days. A good example of why we need to STOP doing things the current way. I feel for you. There are forces that want to totally erase certain cultures, and in many ways, they are winning.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Tony Blair is the man I hold responsible for the destruction of the uk, that man is a murdering trator, a vile human being, a filthy lying parasite.

I'm sure that he will meet his end in the most disgusting manner, humanity won't let him get away with his crimes against England and the rest of the world.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by xedocodex

At the base of it, you were offended that they were speaking one European language instead of a different European language, ever stop to think how silly that sounds?

And are you honestly saying that American culture (that was largely based on freedom of religion) is being destroyed because we are allowing the freedom of practicing any religion an individual chooses? Ironic.

I think you are missing the point. Would you go to Spain and expect a government agency you went to to only speak English?

However, you are right that the US is not a white english speaking country. In fact in the early 1800's there were many non english speaking immigrants then too.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join