It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syria shuts off internet access across the country

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alien Abduct

Originally posted by khimbar

Originally posted by new_here

Prediction: Anonymous ain't gonna like this. Just look at what they did to Israel's leaders communication/governmental networks.

And what exactly can they do to websites or the internet that simply aren't there?

Don't you people read the thread before you make ignorant comments? Deny your ignorance by informing yourself by reading the thread before you comment.

Someone has posted already with information stating that about 20% of Syria's internet is still active. Likely this 20% is for the most part the governmental networks.

-Alien

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to personally insult me by calling me ignorant and telling me to read the thread.

I have done, and can find no sign of 20% of the internet still being active.

I've found this reference to 20%

Originally posted by PatrickGarrow17

And it's wayyy easier to shut down activity in Syria than say the US. Only 20% of the pop has internet access: 4.5 million people....and only 420 hosts

But that's saying that 20% of the country has access, not 20% is left. I wonder if that's what you're meaning? If it is, then that's sort of ignorant of you, don't you think?

Please help me deny my ignorance by showing the 20% you're referring to. As I'd hate to think that you, after so nicely and helpfully telling me to read the thread, had failed to comprehend such an obvious distinction by failing to actually read the thread.
edit on 30-11-2012 by khimbar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Radiobuzz

Libya, Egypt and now Syria does this....during a war? I wonder why Obama is trying so hard to pass the laws for this Internet "Kill Switch". Makes ya think a bit doesn't it?

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Id like to see what the "Anonymous internet hacking group" will do in retaliation.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by kcabmi

I wonder why Obama is trying so hard to pass the laws for this Internet "Kill Switch". Makes ya think a bit doesn't it?

Funny you mention that, on the most recent epi. of ATS Live I had the pleasure of joining the team for most of the show, and we touched on that subject. It's pretty much impossible to create an internet "kill switch' these days.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by JamesLimelight

Originally posted by kcabmi

I wonder why Obama is trying so hard to pass the laws for this Internet "Kill Switch". Makes ya think a bit doesn't it?

Funny you mention that, on the most recent epi. of ATS Live I had the pleasure of joining the team for most of the show, and we touched on that subject. It's pretty much impossible to create an internet "kill switch' these days.

While it may be impossible to completely kill the internet, it's no big thing to cripple it for the vast majority. Control of the networks resides with a surprisingly small number of companies. Most cities have a fiber optic trunk that runs through the downtown core, and offshoots into outlying areas. All have "co-location" buildings, and server centres that can be shut down. Where there is infrastructure for these things, there are also power switches.

If you shut down three major service providers in Canada, you could cut out the majority of the population from the internet. That is because despite the number of resellers, all of the communications infrastructure is on these three networks. I'm not familiar with your setup in the US, but I would guess it's the same, if a bit more fractured than ours. Identify the large (non-regional) telecom providers, and you'll probably have found the owners of the comm infrastructure.

As for the Blackberry question that came up earlier... it still relies on the cell towers being available, or on wi-fi connection. Either way, I'd expect no one these days could say the internet was shut down in a country without that including cell phone service.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by CrikeyMagnet

Oh, don't get me wrong, I agree with you on most all points here. I'm just saying exactly that, you can't "kill" it. But yes, you sure can cripple the sin out of it!

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I'd also like to mention that if "Anonymous" does not have proof of the Syrian Government's involvement that is not circumstantial at best, this may be the battlefield they die upon.

Two reasons:
1) You can't throw yourself onto a side of a conflict where no factual data is available, and expect to come out squeaky clean. There are things you can do that will sully your name, your "organisation" and your entire philosophy in the eyes of the world, and unjustly backing the wrong side because the "factoids" against the other side seem more truthy.
2) You can't "declare war" on a country without consequences. "Anonymous" as a "group" has made some powerful enemies, if the stories are to be believed. The governments and organisations involved do not play games. If you are perceived as a threat, they will locate you, and neutralize the threat. This does not apply only to countries that have been targeted, but to any country or organization that has something to hide. All Anonymous has shown so far is that they can see things people thought were private. That should make them a perceived thread to every clandestine operation, and every top-secret installation in the world. Is that really how "they" want this to go down? The fact that anyone could be "Anonymous" is not a help in this case. That means anyone can speak on their behalf. No one will know what the official word is. Is there an official word? They could even target groups without "Anonymous" knowing about it.

I started off willing to give "Anonymous" the benefit of the doubt. I hope this isn't the situation where they blow it. That would be stupid. Stupid.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Haven't seen this linked on the thread yet, supposedly one of the last videos uploaded out of Syria before the internet shut off.

WARNING: Very graphic content

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   

This is terrorism, literally. and if Obama does that; he is no different than Syrian gov.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
One of the first actions of warfare on those you are about to conqueror destroy communications.

So that they will not be able to communicate with each other or the outside world meaning everything that has gone on in Syria thus far is just a warm up exercise.

The "shock and awe" is about to begin.

Not just that but shutting down communication keeps the truth from being exposed and the MSM will spin it anyway they are ordered except what is really going on.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by SloAnPainful

Right, but you are talking about Syria and al-Assad. Those people are not used to freedoms, let alone freedom of expression.

-SAP-

Assad is better than the FSA terrorists. What do you think is going to happen when the muslim brotherhood gets control of Syria?

Sharia Law

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Are they practicing the kill switch? Like a little experiment in how people will react in crisis without the ability to connect to outside sources and the world at large?

This is concerning to say the least. I got the hit years ago that it will all begin with Syria.

These are innocent humanbeings amongst monsters and the world has become so self absorbed that unless it affects them directly it is of little consequence, like watching a video game, not reality, sad.
edit on 30-11-2012 by antar because: y

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Right like what happened in Gaza with all the tweets and Youtube videos, really stood in the way of an all out assault and act of genocide. (reading backwards in the thread.)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Vasteel

OH my God I cant watch, I cant watch, These are Babies! These are beautifully dressed, loving people being destroyed by bombs!

I am just sick. Oh Lord help our world.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
ahh o well, we still have the trust worthy news agencies to report about syria

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by FeelingPure

Id like to see what the "Anonymous internet hacking group" will do in retaliation.

probably send some pizzas by air
edit on 30-11-2012 by SkuzzleButt because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Did it ever occur to any of you that the Syrian Government did not flip the switch? That is was the uprising instead?

Is the Syrian Government simply trying to put down an uprising?

Then, ask yourself, who is funding this uprising? Who is supplying the rebels?

There is more in Syria than meets the eye. Assad is not a stupid man.

The same people who took Mubarak and Ghadafi out, are responsible for this uprising in Syria. And I can guarantee you that it comes directly from the WHITE HOUSE.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vasteel
Haven't seen this linked on the thread yet, supposedly one of the last videos uploaded out of Syria before the internet shut off.

WARNING: Very graphic content

Oh my dear God...how horrible.. I couldn't finish the video
After I saw that poor little boys head..you know. Holy crap I hope everything is okay over there...Doesn't look that way from the video.. I'm speechless

Just finished the video. OH MY GOSH..poor people. Those peoples families and friends..How terribly horrible

edit on 30-11-2012 by Katharos62191 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by FeelingPure

Global hacking network Anonymous said it will shut down Syrian government websites around the world in response to a countrywide Internet blackout believed to be aimed at silencing the opposition to President Bashar al-Assad. Syria was plunged into communication darkness on Thursday when Internet connectivity stopped at midday. Land lines and mobile phones networks were also seriously disrupted. The Syrian government said "terrorists" had attacked Internet lines but the opposition and human rights groups suspect it to be the work of the authorities.

here's the latest on that
www.chicagotribune.com...
and a link to new thread
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 30-11-2012 by tinhattribunal because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by tinhattribunal
but the opposition and human rights groups suspect it to be the work of the authorities.

Would that be the SOHR, the one based in Coventry?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join