It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syria shuts off internet access across the country

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Syria shuts off internet access across the country

www.guardian.co.uk

Two US-based internet-monitoring companies say Syria has shut off the internet nationwide.

A blog post on Renesys, a US company which tracks internet traffic worldwide, said that at 12.26pm in Damascus, Syria's international internet connectivity shut down completely.

Akamai Technologies also confirmed a complete outage.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
gizmodo.com
www.renesys.com

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Syria has officially disconnected from the internet. This is pretty serious, who knows what could happen now that the Syrian people is unable to reach the outside world. I hope nothing huge happens. Keep in mind this is happening amidst a civil war. I also wonder how could this influence their economy?

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
EXPECT

The internet's great, but I swear it will be our downfall. Too much reliance, too much centralized control, too hard to regulate.

We need a serious citizens protection force, with superior skills to government agencies, and fast.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
If someone has disconnected the internet in Syria, I highly doubt it is the Assad government. It means serious trouble is coming.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
This is exactly what Libya and Egypt did this before their ends. Well, of qaddafi and mubarak anyway.

Syria, please dont gas your own people.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I have not been able to find this on any major media network, but it's popping up all over twitter with the hashtag #SyriaBlackout

Another news link.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Hmmm my guess is this is a defensive measure by the regime more than anything else...complete guess..maybe they received intel about a major plan from the rebels and cut the net to prevent organization.

The funny thing is that in Egypt when the internet was shutdown everyone just met up in Tahrir square for a protest day as big as any other.

Maybe that's what the regime is trying to do...get everyone do meet up and slaughter them.

Hope not, and probably not. Something that boldly atrocious would be suicide.

Prayers for Syria, as always

Of the 37,387 who have perished since fighting began, 6,992 were killed in Homs and 6,750 in the suburbs of Damascus, the Violations Documentation Center said.

The total number includes 3,061 government soldiers, which the group only recently started to include in its count.

The U.N. refugee office says 414,838 Syrians are in neighboring countries registered as refugees or waiting to register. Turkey has the single highest number, with 114,944, it says.
www.cnn.com...

edit on 11/29/2012 by PatrickGarrow17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   

It sounds bad.....maybe not but I can't imagine this being anything but bad.

I just hope they don't use chemical warfare!

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Syria Shuts Down Internet Access as Country Imposes Nationwide Online Blackout - NY Daily News

According to the article above, which is a reprint of an Associated Press piece it states that:

Activists in Syria reached Thursday by satellite telephone confirmed the blackout.

Forbes.com is also reporting on it and makes this available for all those who are wishing to track it via twitter:

The Twitter hash tag #Syriablackout has been established for people wishing to track or make comments on this issue.

Just making some more sources for this information available.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I just posted a few updates concerning the situation in Syria here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

"A Syrian security source told Reuters on condition of anonymity that the army had started a 'cleansing operation' in the capital to confront rebel advances."

uh oh

www.slate.com...

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by underduck

say it ain't so...

Is the US going to be leading a NATO operation in the next couple days?

+7 more 
posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
And this is why no Government should have the "kill switch power" over the internet to silence it's people...including our own.

When the Gov feels it has the power to silence the people any time it chooses, that government has became too powerful...including ours.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Worth repeating that in a situation like this, a whole bunch of old fashioned dial up BBS's linked together via Fidonet (as was done in the 80's and early 90's) would be a great and unstoppable temporary solution.

CX

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
*Waits patiently for all those who said that "you can't just kill the internet" to explain this one.

CX.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
The airport in Damascus has been shut down too.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Cell phone service shut down also, per CNN at 12:14 p.m. EST. Apparently the Syrian Government is dropping bombs in Aleppo.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

Easy walk into the datacenter and turn off the router.

The internet as a whole is very resilient.

But when you only have one way into a country. Then it's easy just unplug equipment.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Yes, because shutting off the internet will magically make decades worth of ethnic conflict, high unemployment rates, high birth rates, and government corruption/nepotism magically disappear overnight. Yup, that will work. There must be a outbreak of a Delusion Virus spreading every government and society on the globe. Let's call it H1-Societal-Collapse-N1. (I know, that wasn't clever, but oh well.)

-Ghoster
edit on 29-11-2012 by theghoster because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Isn't this the sort of thing all the Anonymous fans told us told us they'd stop happening?

Well. Where are they now?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join