Syria shuts off internet access across the country

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
NOTE:

This is thee ONLY THING that will get North America to uprise and rebel.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by PatrickGarrow17
reply to post by underduck

say it ain't so...

Is the US going to be leading a NATO operation in the next couple days?

We have to ... right?

This is the kind of stuff we need to save our military for. It is going to be difficult to get solid news out of Syria now but if we find out that they are using chemical weapons on their own people we need to put an end to that. We cannot tolerate this kind of crap in the 21st century.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

‎#BREAKING NEWS: The opposition factions inside #Damascus have declared operation "LINE OF SUNRISE" has officially begun.
INSHALLAH VICTORY WILL BE SOON!!! Pray for our brave warriors.

Source: www.facebook.com...

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Can't be long until Anonymous get involved now..

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

*Waits patiently for all those who said that "you can't just kill the internet" to explain this one.

The entire internet isn't gone, just the vast majority. And it's wayyy easier to shut down activity in Syria than say the US. Only 20% of the pop has internet access: 4.5 million people....and only 420 hosts

The US has 500 million hosts.

telecom in Syria
Countries by hosts

Not saying it isn't possible to kill the entire internet...but killing Syria internet is like squashing a bug, the US would be like killing a whale with your bare hands in water.
edit on 11/29/2012 by PatrickGarrow17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaltireWarrior
Can't be long until Anonymous get involved now..

Love the image. I agree!

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Radiobuzz

Syria shuts off internet access across the country

www.guardian.co.uk

Two US-based internet-monitoring companies say Syria has shut off the internet nationwide.

A blog post on Renesys, a US company which tracks internet traffic worldwide, said that at 12.26pm in Damascus, Syria's international internet connectivity shut down completely.

Akamai Technologies also confirmed a complete outage.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
gizmodo.com
www.renesys.com

Prediction: Anonymous ain't gonna like this. Just look at what they did to Israel's leaders communication/governmental networks.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   

The UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) said there was heavy fighting "along all the areas along the road" to the airport (Damascus), southeast of the city.

The activist group said clashes were particularly intense in Babbila, a suburb bordering the rebel stronghold of Tadamoun.

www.aljazeera.com...

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Who cares what Anon does?

People are dying!

This is not something a series of hackers is going to deal with. The internet is essentially down. They cant do anything.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deetermined

The UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) said there was heavy fighting "along all the areas along the road" to the airport (Damascus), southeast of the city.

The activist group said clashes were particularly intense in Babbila, a suburb bordering the rebel stronghold of Tadamoun.

www.aljazeera.com...

Is he still in his shop in Coventry?

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
So according to Reuters

live.reuters.com...

"Terrorists" cut Syria's Internet - minister of information

Syria's minister of information said that "terrorists", not the state, were responsible for a countrywide Internet outage on Thursday, a pro-government TV station said.

Not the government doing it then?
edit on 29-11-2012 by khimbar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by new_here

Prediction: Anonymous ain't gonna like this. Just look at what they did to Israel's leaders communication/governmental networks.

And what exactly can they do to websites or the internet that simply aren't there?

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Actually Anon contributed greatly to Egypt when a similar event happened.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaltireWarrior
Actually Anon contributed greatly to Egypt when a similar event happened.

Yes, and Egypt has turned out so well.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by underduck
Who cares what Anon does?

People are dying!

This is not something a series of hackers is going to deal with. The internet is essentially down. They cant do anything.

You can be the Syrian Government still has communication up and running. And you can bet Anon can get to it.

And yes, I DO care more about the lives than I do the technology. Anon did what they did to interfere with Israel's ability to wage war. I suspect they may do the same. I don't know, I just believe they can and probably will, is all.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   

You can be the Syrian Government still has communication up and running. And you can bet Anon can get to it.

The government has already said it wasn't them that took down the Internet.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

I'd hesitate on coming to any conclusions for a bit.

ETA: Just thought of an interesting scenario...with all this Anon talk, isn't it possible that they were the ones who took down the internet...maybe they crashed it so they could change some facet of the government's system, and compromise them to the point of being in a position to negotiate for a cease fire...

Or really, it's very possible that this is an accident. The infrastructure there isn't any good, there are Achilles heels where a single cable being severed could black out pretty much the whole country.
edit on 11/29/2012 by PatrickGarrow17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by PatrickGarrow17
reply to post by khimbar

I'd hesitate on coming to any conclusions for a bit.

I don't trust either side.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
My first thought upon reading the headline of the OP was, "Is Obummer somehow involved, and if not is he watching closely to learn how to do the same here?".

It was much easier to control information and news back in the days of Hitler when all they had to do was take over the newspapers and radio stations. Even so, there was an underground that managed to get information out anyway.

Now we not only have the internet but there are also many more ways to communicate like satellite phone up-links, television and radio both of which arrive by satellite and I am sure I missed at least one more. This makes it much harder to keep a population in the dark today.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by khimbar

They may be telling the truth. Who really knows. I reserve judgement either way. Thanks for the info.

new topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join