It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The bible is 2000 year old psychic sandpeople garbage nonsense.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut

Originally posted by shelookslikeone
reply to post by dakota1s2

I know this may be shocking to you, but there are people out there that don't just believe anything that is told to them... that includes a 2000 year old story.

You have to get the data from somewhere. otherwise you'd have to make everything up yourself.

or you know.... not make anything up.....and not take the word of those who claim to speak/write for god ....who incidentally are almost always in a position that would allow them to benefit from these words or writing
that would be a rational thing to do right?

and im not understanding what data it is you are talking about that would need to be made up..... im not sure there is anything in the bible that helps better out lives today that wouldnt exist regardless of a religious doctrine (moral guidelines etc)
there are ancient writings and records that document history and that are not religious in nature you know
and the only real benefit we get from historical accounts is to observe where mistakes were made (many of which have been made again....and again.....and again and are very well documented by this point)
edit on 25-11-2012 by sirhumperdink because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   

I know this may be shocking to you, but there are people out there that don't just believe anything that is told to them... that includes a 2000 year old story.

Just because a story is old, doesn't mean that it's not true. In fact, it would attest to it's durability over time.... thereby actually proving that it IS true.

I take it that you're a witch.... So you believe everything in the Satanic Bible, written by Anton LaVey?? I think it's full of errors and written just to control you... What is your response to that?
edit on 25/11/2012 by MarkJS because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Oh boy someone is trying to start a religious war with this thread! LOL

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ltheghost
Oh boy someone is trying to start a religious war with this thread! LOL

Fair for the goose, is fair for the gander.

linea segundo

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarkJS

Just because a story is old, that doesn't mean that it's not true.

I take it that you're a witch.... So you believe everything in the Satanic Bible, written by Anton LaVey?? I think it's full of errors and written just to control you... What is your response to that?

Well you don't need to follow LaVey to be a Satanist. There are many Satanists that choose the more spiritual side of the "religion" (if you could even call it that). And most Satanists that don't follow LaVey honestly believe that the true Satan is the Christian God (the great deceiver and all). But I digress.

For the record, I am not a Satanist. I choose not to follow any man made religion. I believe in whatever created this universe as God.

The story being so old is what troubles me the most. Not that it loses credibility with age, simply that, given it's age and the powers that were around during that time, it honestly wouldn't be such a far fetched assumption that a fading empire would attempt to make itself immortal. What's the saying? "never trust a roman"?

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarkJS

Just because a story is old, that doesn't mean that it's not true.

Well you don't need to follow LaVey to be a Satanist. There are many Satanists that choose the more spiritual side of the "religion" (if you could even call it that). And most Satanists that don't follow LaVey honestly believe that the true Satan is the Christian God (the great deceiver and all). But I digress.

For the record, I am not a Satanist. I choose not to follow any man made religion. I believe in whatever created this universe as God.

The story being so old is what troubles me the most. Not that it loses credibility with age, simply that, given it's age and the powers that were around during that time, it honestly wouldn't be such a far fetched assumption that a fading empire would attempt to make itself immortal. What's the saying? "never trust a roman"?

I didn't know that all Satanists did not follow the Satanic bible.... That's a new one for me.

As I was saying... the Bible proves it's durability and its veracity over time.. even after the Roman Empire dissolved. Kingdoms come and go, but the bible endures... People were willing, and did die to keep publishing and distributing this book.
During the early Roman period, and in Medieval times
TIMELINE OF THE PROTESTANT REFORMATION
Protestant Movement - Early Modern Period

That is the reason for your doubt? Because it endured?

Then if you're open-minded and you're craving after power... and possibly after truth, then just 'ask God'... the creator of all things... something like... "what's up God?" "Can I have a close relationship with you?" "How is this possible?"

...because it is. Even if a person 'sold their soul to the devil'... God is still there for you. All you have to do is ask... with a sincere heart.

Wish'n you the best...
edit on 26/11/2012 by MarkJS because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I can tell you that with that kind of pride and arrogance is why you cant see God, you have no excuse,

even though hes patient and longsusffering, even to the fools.

Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

Wether sinners want to admit it or not there is a hell. To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

2 Peter 3:10
But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

Romans 1:20
For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

And in the morning, It will be foul weather to day: for the sky is red and lowring. O ye hypocrites, ye can discern the face of the sky; but can ye not discern the signs of the times?

A wicked and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given unto it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas. And he left them, and departed.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by chr0naut

Here's some more failed prophecies.

10. “I have sworn to David my servant, I will establish your seed forever, and build up your throne for all generations.” - Psalms 89:3-4

“David shall never want a man to sit upon the throne of the house of Israel.” - Jeremiah 33:17

According to the speaker of this prophecy (God), a descendant of David will always be on the throne of Israel. This is obviously not the case however, as David’s line ended 21 generations later with Zedekiah. No king returned to David’s throne for the next 450 years, and no king of David’s line has occupied any throne anywhere for the last couple thousand years or so. D’oh!

The Davidic line did not end with Zedekiah. 21 generations after David there were large numbers of contenders for the throne. Use a little logic and don't just rehash the tripe from internet opinion pieces of those with an axe to grind.

You need to actually research both the various legal lines of succession and the genetic lines.

Jesus had both the genetic line via his mother and the legal line from His adoptive father, Joseph.

Additionally, because Mary was an only child and a girl, it was established in Jewish law that the man the daughter marries is then considered to be 'adopted into' the family of her father, as a son, to carry on the legal duties of the line of inheritance.

This is how Jesus could be claimed to be both in line of succession and genetically descended from King David.

Christians (like myself) would then point out to you that the Davidic throne is now in heaven and is currently occupied by Christ. A status that will never change (although He will bring the Earth under His throne).

9. “Put on your beautiful garments, O Jerusalem, the holy city: from now on no one shall enter you who is uncircumcised or unclean.” - Isaiah 52:1

This failure is pretty self-explanatory, as Jerusalem has been plenty filled with uncircumcised people from the moment this prophecy was uttered ‘til the moment you just read this on the internet.

Again, this prophecy is repeated in Revelation in reference to the "New Jerusalem" that comes down from heaven and has obviously not yet come to pass.

And there's plenty more where those came from. pay2cem.hubpages.com...

I can also refute all these other attempts to say that prophecies have failed too. It's just tedious doing so when you'll probably keep responding "Prophecy - FAIL", without reasoning, as you have done twice previously in this very thread.

There are thousands of prophecies in the Bible that have come to pass exactly as foretold.

The best you (or your internet searches) can come up with is ten easily refuted examples.

Scholarship, numbers and the weight of evidence outweigh your bias.

edit on 25/11/2012 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I remember in high school, it was soo cool to be atheist. We would all throw out flippant dismissals because we were the kings and queens and princes and princesses of our own little worlds. Between stolen liquor and whatever illicits, we would talk about all sorts of rad things, every now and then about how stupid everyone who believes in god because the bibles just a bunch of stories. High school was fun but nobody had too much of an idea who they really were or what they actually knew.Then everyone grew up a little bit, learned some stuff, and most have elevated themselves emotionally to where they don't feel the need to mindlessly bash something that brings many true peace and finds many quite enlightened. If all you understand of any ancient or holy scripture is what you've heard from nonbelievers or those brainwashed by a false teacher from a corrupt congregation, then by dismissing it, you are as brainwashed as any roman-catholic or muslim extremist.

If you have truly tried to feel the worth and wisdom and truth in the words of any holy scripts and have found yourself still frustrated and bitter, then maybe you need to approach it in a different way. It may also be that it is simply not for you. If it's better for you to never learn discernment and how to read and to stay ignorant of all the worlds' teachings and knowledge that came before you, then by all means, stay the way you are. Sadly, you could have been more.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by sirhumperdink

You have to get the data from somewhere. otherwise you'd have to make everything up yourself.

or you know.... not make anything up.....and not take the word of those who claim to speak/write for god ....who incidentally are almost always in a position that would allow them to benefit from these words or writing

and im not understanding what data it is you are talking about that would need to be made up..... im not sure there is anything in the bible that helps better out lives today that wouldnt exist regardless of a religious doctrine (moral guidelines etc)
there are ancient writings and records that document history and that are not religious in nature you know
and the only real benefit we get from historical accounts is to observe where mistakes were made (many of which have been made again....and again.....and again and are very well documented by this point)

I thought that someone who never learns from someone else is ignorant? Perhaps I am using the wrong dictionary.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   

I thought that someone who never learns from someone else is ignorant? Perhaps I am using the wrong dictionary.

learns what? my point was most of the errors from which we could learn have been repeated far more recently with much better documentation
and if that is the sole justification you have for it then why not separate the historically accurate documentations from the religious indoctrinations and fanaticism

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by MarkJS

The bible also proved that it can used as a tool for murder (the crusades), ignorance (she's a witch!), and above all else, control (thou shalt not do absolutely anything). Blessed be the poor, woe unto the rich... as the Pope sits in his castle. But make no mistake, this is not just about Christianity. This is about I simply do not trust the word of man. There are very few people I trust today, why would I trust the word of someone 2000 years ago?

There are those that are misguided and can be "saved". I am not one of those people. I have looked at the abrahamic religions and sadly, I am simply not ignorant enough to blindly accept the word of man as the word of God. In my honest opinion, religion is nothing more than the blind leading the blind, something to believe in, etc. etc. and at the end of the day, it all seems rather primitive.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jazztrance

Gave you a star because you accomplished your goal.

" But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."

There is a supernatural action that occurs when one comes to faith, I can't unbelieve the resurection in the words of a blind man "I was blind but now I see". The testimony of the power of God's word is revealed in a millions of changed lives throughout history.

As a young man I left the religion of my youth to pursue science. I fully immersed myself into evolutionary enlightenment. Yet in the end the prophets of Darwin were found wanting in truth. Five years later sitting on a remote mountain top in Alaska I did speak with God. Now I rejoice in his saving grace and enjoy the truth of His revealed word.

God and His Word does not need my defense.

Enjoyed the thread, may you enjoy and relish each of your days in this short period of life that we are each granted.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   

reply to post by MarkJS

The bible also proved that it can used as a tool for murder (the crusades), ignorance (she's a witch!), and above all else, control (thou shalt not do absolutely anything). Blessed be the poor, woe unto the rich... as the Pope sits in his castle. But make no mistake, this is not just about Christianity. This is about I simply do not trust the word of man. There are very few people I trust today, why would I trust the word of someone 2000 years ago?

There are those that are misguided and can be "saved". I am not one of those people. I have looked at the abrahamic religions and sadly, I am simply not ignorant enough to blindly accept the word of man as the word of God. In my honest opinion, religion is nothing more than the blind leading the blind, something to believe in, etc. etc. and at the end of the day, it all seems rather primitive.

Thank you for your response....

You wrote:

There are those that are misguided and can be "saved". I am not one of those people. I have looked at the abrahamic religions and sadly, I am simply not ignorant enough...

I understand your concern and consequent hesitation... Me asking you to believe in a 2000-5000 year old book without any other backup might be stretching it a little.

My suggestion is not to consider the Abrahamic religion, but the God of the Abrahamic, or Christian religion.... God Almighty... As I mentioned in the previous post... just 'ask God'... the creator of all things... something like... "what's up God?" "Can I have a close relationship with you?" "How is this possible?"

...because it is.

This might be a bit personal... If you've heard satan's voice...then surely it's possible to hear God's. Just ask...

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Did someone really say that the the Bible and the Torah are corrupt but that the Koran is pure?

HAHAHAHAHAHA

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Question is, does it really matter what or why they believe what they do? I used to get upset and feel similar to you because I lived in a very Christian home and felt like the beliefs were shoved down my throat at every turn. I'm 38.. ok, sorry I won't be 38 for another 30 minutes or so, but here I am almost 38 and my mother still does not know I am not a Christian and I do not believe that the bible is any more than nonsense and rubbish.

Now that I am an adult I don't care what Christians think, it's theirs to believe and so long as they keep it to themselves and I don't have to hear about it then big whoop. They can believe in the flying spaghetti monster for all I care.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
The major issue we have with the bible is that it cannot be verified as to who
even wrote it, the authors are anonymous and this leads to a huge credibility
issue, not only that but the stories therein are not even based on eye witness
accounts, they are based on hear say 20-30 years removed from the source.

Now what do we know for a fact happens in oral legend over 20 years, it gets
exaggerated, changed, edited to sound better or worse depending on the
motivation of whoever is telling it, we can even prove that this has happened
in the bible itself, there are books in the bible right now that have been
edited from the original manuscripts, in one instance an entire story was
added to fix a problematic issue in which the women who supposedly
saw Jesus rise from the dead simply ran away and told no one of what they
saw, to fix this issue an entire story about the women going back to town
and telling others was added.......

In the earliest and best manuscripts we have that story did not exist, this is
only one example of how things were added or removed to make the story
actually make sense, the issue that most stands out to me however is the
lack of corroboration amongst secular history, outside the bible the story
is impossible to verify, so you must accept the bible as fact and true first
and then go from there, well that's tantamount to accepting any fiction book
as truth then building a belief on that book, replace the bible with any
other ridiculous book and you have the same problems........

If people would stop just accepting that what they are told is true and go
research things for themselves this would all be so much easier, instead
people want to pretend like they looked at the facts when all they actually do
is listen to some preacher reaffirm what they think is true, there are facts
to be had about this, and you might be surprised how muddled the entire
affair is, you would think by these folks who tout the bible as fact would
know that there are many many scholars both theists and atheists who
discount the bible because of its obvious flaws.........

All these people actually want is to be told they are right, they do not want
facts because the actual facts don't line up with what they claim.........

oh and as for prophecy, the problem with prophecy in the bible is that it
is open for interpretation, i cant count the number of times i see people
claim biblical prophecy is being fulfilled over and over, when you claim
the same prophecy has been fulfilled more than once well it creates
a problem...... and yes they do claim the same prophecies have been fulfilled
again and again........ ive seen that with my own eyes.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaMaa
Question is, does it really matter what or why they believe what they do? I used to get upset and feel similar to you because I lived in a very Christian home and felt like the beliefs were shoved down my throat at every turn. I'm 38.. ok, sorry I won't be 38 for another 30 minutes or so, but here I am almost 38 and my mother still does not know I am not a Christian and I do not believe that the bible is any more than nonsense and rubbish.

Now that I am an adult I don't care what Christians think, it's theirs to believe and so long as they keep it to themselves and I don't have to hear about it then big whoop. They can believe in the flying spaghetti monster for all I care.

except that among these beliefs are the belief that you must convert others and spread the word of god and the belief that the word of god is law

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by bloodreviara

oh and as for prophecy, the problem with prophecy in the bible is that it
is open for interpretation, i cant count the number of times i see people
claim biblical prophecy is being fulfilled over and over, when you claim
the same prophecy has been fulfilled more than once well it creates
a problem...... and yes they do claim the same prophecies have been fulfilled
again and again........ ive seen that with my own eyes.

Your line of thinking has some merit.... But to narrow God down to just one interpretation of a prophecy is (cliché coming) narrow minded...

For example... the prophecy of Jesus coming back.... He Is coming back...And it's true, we don't know when.... Well for almost two thousand years, Jesus did come back for His saints... by sending angels to gather them to heaven... And it's true, that most likely did not know (much) beforehand it occurred. In any case, they had to be ready...

In your other lines of thinking... Humanly speaking, they make sense. You need to go higher than human intellect. You need to go to the source. You need to go to God Himself. I would suggest the same thing that I suggested before... to simply Ask God..."what's up?" "how can I get closer to you?" "I think I want to be your son/daughter...".. stuff like that. You see, God is a gentleman. He Wants, actually requires to be invited first. And you wouldn't want it any other way.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaMaa

except that among these beliefs are the belief that you must convert others and spread the word of god and the belief that the word of god is law

Yes this can be an annoyance. I simply tell people that I can respect that they believe what they do, but I do not share their belief and do not wish to hear about it. I have never had any issue with people pushing things past that.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join